• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Fastlane 2016 |OT| Roundabout to Wrestlemania

Status
Not open for further replies.

ngower

Not sure if this is more appropriate in a monthly wrasslin' thread, but trying to think of the best possible Mania card. Coming up with:

Owens v Styles for the IC title
Brock v Dean in some kind of brutal match
League of Nations (- del Rio?) v New Day (either two for the titles or + 1 in an 8-man tag)
Reigns v HHH
Sasha v Charlotte v Becky (v Brie?) for women's title
Kalisto v someone (del rio?) at Mania
Maybe have someone like Dolph in the preshow?

Striker

Oh I've seen 'em. I watched wrasslin in the Attitude era. I've seen the fans chanting a wholesome "f" word at the flamboyant characters. I just wish that in a time where there are LOADS of other more compelling storylines, they wouldn't harp on this out-of-place bit with Truth and Goldust.
Fans booed the Nation for speaking out about racism in the WWF. Friend.

I wonder if Triple H on your average RAW is just Vince writing shit for himself and having H do it.

Stephanie on the other hand has always been a bit of a wackjob and never had any self control so I can see her character being all her but with how NXT is turning out I have some new faith in HHH as a wrestling booker person.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Not sure if this is more appropriate in a monthly wrasslin' thread, but trying to think of the best possible Mania card. Coming up with:

League of Nations (- del Rio?) v New Day (either two for the titles or + 1 in an 8-man tag)
Reigns v HHH

Based on twitter - Cena's trying to get back to WM so they can do Cena/Taker.

If Cena comes back in time...I will freaking bow to the TV. Torn Rotator Cuff? In a couple of months? An HGH IV wouldn't get you back that fast...Cena would be legitimately superhuman if he makes it back for WM.

KingBroly

Banned
Brock v. Ambrose in a Texas Death Match with Austin as Referee
Owens v. Styles for the Intercontinental Title

HHH v......what? I fell asleep there
Kalisto v. Sin Cara for the US Title

Kurt Angle v. Undertaker
The New Day v. I don't give a shit

JOHN CENA v. Nakamura
Sasha v. Becky v. Charlotte

bigkrev

Reigns v HHH

I'm guessing one of the 2 minor belts will be a multi-person Ladder match- probably the US Title so Kalisto gets to do something crazy off a Ladder, and it gets Ziggler, the Usos and Neville something to do

And the obvious Andre the Giant Battle Royal for Stroman to win

ngower

I'm guessing one of the 2 minor belts will be a multi-person Ladder match- probably the US Title so Kalisto gets to do something crazy off a Ladder, and it gets Ziggler, the Usos and Neville something to do

And the obvious Andre the Giant Battle Royal for Stroman to win

I was actually thinking Charlotte v Becky v Sasha as a TLC match could be pretty damn interesting.

Dazzler

made up my mind last night to unsubscribe from the Network after Wrestlemania

That PPV was staggeringly bad. Best match was on the pre-show, Jericho is a has-been and could have killed AJ, the Edge and Christian segment was one of the all-time worst PPV segments, then the completely inexplicable Social Outcasts and R-Truth segment straight off of a Main Event.

Nobody wants Roman but we're getting him anyway. There's a complete divorce from what fans of the product want and what Vince wants, and the only way to change it is if enough people vote with their wallets

Reigns v HHH
Taker???

Booking a NXT invasion angle for Wrestlemania would fix all their problems, Triple H becomes the natural babyface who leads the charge, Roman gets aligned with Vince so fits into his natural role as the establishment, suddenly you have the talent to book a strong show top to bottom that will get ridiculously over with all the upcoming smark towns. Plus they have the cruiserweight thing coming up, so they'll have ample opportunity to replace all the people they bring up.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Booking a NXT invasion angle for Wrestlemania would fix all their problems, Triple H becomes the natural babyface who leads the charge, Roman gets aligned with Vince so fits into his natural role as the establishment, suddenly you have the talent to book a strong show top to bottom that will get ridiculously over with all the upcoming smark towns. Plus they have the cruiserweight thing coming up, so they'll have ample opportunity to replace all the people they bring up.

Call it the New Blood vs the Millionaire's Club.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone

Unless you wanted to gut NXT, you'd have to make them all exhibition matches or have NXT run the board with losing. It'd definitely be great to see the NXT tag teams in the mix. Its shameful how weak the main roster tag division is compared to NXT.

FStubbs

I wonder if Triple H on your average RAW is just Vince writing shit for himself and having H do it.

Stephanie on the other hand has always been a bit of a wackjob and never had any self control so I can see her character being all her but with how NXT is turning out I have some new faith in HHH as a wrestling booker person.

I remember one time in the Evolution era where somehow HHH got to book RAW for a night and it was pretty good.

HHH has a good mind for these things as long as he's not booking himself or his friends.

Didn't Styles have to modify it though? I seem to remember him having to put abyss in a standard piledriver position and falling forward instead of the usual position.

Edit: what's this about Styles being a homophobe?

He's a pretty religious southern boy who was kind of a dick in the early 2000s. He once got pissed at Chris Bosh's referencing Austin's 3:16 promo which went completely over his head because he thought he and his religion were being mocked, he SOMEHOW never heard Austin's KotR promo.

https://streamable.com/zq3b

Bronx-Man

Banned
Cena risking his health for a most likely mediocre match against the Undertaker at WrestleMania would be the biggest mistake of his life. Has he learned nothing from Bryan's retirement?

With the roster they have they should have around 10 guys that are main event tier and protected as such instead of what they have now where it's Roman (and Cena if he wasn't out) and then everyone else. But that's on Vince for continue to do what he did in the 80s with Hogan and pretty much putting the company on the back of one guy. The late 90s with the emerging of all those guys was a total fluke that Vince pretty much lucked out on.

Owens v. Styles for the Intercontinental Title

HHH v......what? I fell asleep there
Kalisto v. Sin Cara for the US Title

Kurt Angle v. Undertaker
The New Day v. I don't give a shit

JOHN CENA v. Nakamura
Sasha v. Becky v. Charlotte

Kurt Angle? WWE will never let him in their ring

Hex

Banned
Cena risking his health for a most likely mediocre match against the Undertaker at WrestleMania would be the biggest mistake of his life. Has he learned nothing from Bryan's retirement?

Especially considering the type of match it would have to be to make Taker look competetive and "bad ass"

Kuroyume

Banned

Did you watch the match last night?

snaRmLj.gif

Can't wait to see Brock sell that.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Ambrose was pure amazing in that match with Brock.
Slapping Brock and Brock going ballistic was gold, and Brock and Ambrose have great chemistry.
Reigns can't keep being carried and hidden.

Sasha and Becky were great.
That other Diva match was just pathetic and total garbage. It was seriously disrespectful to all of the effort that the other women have put in.
AJ and Jericho was a good match, Jericho tried to kill AJ a couple of times there, and AJ I think has proven that he can work WWE style matches so bring on the future.
New Day and E&C were great, maybe a face turn for New Day?
Wyatts are a joke, Ryback trying his best to injure his way through the roster. Show putting in work, have to give it to him.
Kevin Owens can do no wrong, good match and good solid win.

In fairness, Reigns is a better wrestler than Ambrose in terms of performing his move set. He's just worse at everything else.

DMczaf

My favorite "work? shoot? worked shoot! shoot work!" moment was when Brock early in the match gave Ambrose some really slow and safe knees...and then later in the match Ambrose slaps the fuck out of Brock and Brock goes FINAL BOSS MODE and does like 9 fast and powerful knees in like 3 secs.

s_mirage

Is Taker even that much of a draw any more? The last couple of matches against Brock just made me worried that he's eventually going to botch and injure his opponent. IMHO he should have retired.

The streak is dead and Cena shouldn't rush back for what will be a pretty meaningless match.

Sephzilla

Is Taker even that much a draw any more? The last couple of matches against Brock just made me worried that he's eventually going to botch and injure his opponent. IMHO he should have retired.

The streak is dead and Cena shouldn't rush back for what will be a pretty meaningless match.

I say this as a huge Taker mark; no, he's not a draw anymore. Without The Streak, Taker just feels like another old guy who's stuck around too long. I didn't give a shit about his feud with Bray Wyatt at WM31 because nothing was at stake. I didn't give much of a shit about his Brock rematches either because it just reminded me of how poorly the end of The Streak was handled. I won't care about Taker/Cena if that happens because it'll be destined to be Taker raising Cena's hand.

Truth here.

Ambrose fans all seem like teenagers to me.

I feel like people have for years convinced themselves he's the next Austin/Pillman and can't let go of that. He can't hold a candle to either of them. And Piper? Laughable. I think his best shot at salvaging what he's got is to turn heel and cut back on the shitty facials.

You wouldn't know that from watching Ambrose. His best quality right now is that he's not Roman Reigns.

right, let's ignore his mic skills, charisma and the little fact that people love him despite the stories WWE has put him in for the last year and still has remained over

brain dead thinking to say he's simply popular because "he's not Reigns" when he was over when working with everyone WWE put him with

right, let's ignore his mic skills, charisma and the little fact that people love him despite the stories WWE has put him in for the last year and still has remained over

brain dead thinking to say he's simply popular because "he's not Reigns" when he was over when working with everyone WWE put him with

I don't think he has great mic skills or charisma. He makes dumb faces and says dumb, snarky shit like "I got my tickets on PRICELINE!". What is so special about that? I get it, you like him. I don't. Just like you think Reigns is trash and others might like him.

Sephzilla

I don't think he has great mic skills or charisma. He makes dumb faces and says dumb, snarky shit like "I got my tickets on PRICELINE!". What is so special about that? I get it, you like him. I don't. Just like you think Reigns is trash and others might like him.

I would still argue he has better mic skills and charisma than Roman Reigns, however. "He's not Roman" is part of why some appeal to him. But he has legitimate edges over Roman in a few categories.

Kevin Owens is better than both of them

I don't think Reigns is "trash", just not his time right now. I guess I don't care about this lack of in ring skills in the world of make believe wrestling, his charisma is endearing.

He's no Pillman 2.0, but he's doing what he can in this TV PG environment

I would still argue he has better mic skills and charisma than Roman Reigns, however. "He's not Roman" is part of why some appeal to him. But he has legitimate edges over Roman in a few categories.

Kevin Owens is better than both of them

I would to, I just don't think Reigns is exactly a high bar to set. Miz has better mic skills and charisma than Roman. Fuckin' XPac probably had better mic skills and charisma than Roman.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Again, Roman's ability to execute moves is clearly superior to Ambrose's even if it's a simplistic move set. He just has no charisma and the fact that "people don't like him" actually matters. Whether someone looks like they can beat up Triple H isn't actually relevant because wrestling is fucking fake. I don't think Reigns could beat up Triple H's gigantically roided up ass either the same way it was pretty unrealistic when Daniel Bryan did it.

Angry Grimace

It's almost ironic that "wrestling ability doesn't matter" is king right now given that the overall roster has never been better in terms of in-ring talent. It's just that all the in-ring talent are midcarders.

Off the top of my head the only non-Cena guy in the company right now who can really pull the look, the mic skills and the wrestling ability at the same time is Seth Rollins. Owens has the ability and the mic skills, but obviously he looks a bit like a random tough-guy at the local tavern.

I feel like people have for years convinced themselves he's the next Austin/Pillman and can't let go of that. He can't hold a candle to either of them. And Piper? Laughable. I think his best shot at salvaging what he's got is to turn heel and cut back on the shitty facials.

I agree. Ambrose is never getting me back after that DDEANNNOOO line. He's just the least burried upper midcard guy thats left right now and overall for the past 6 months. Even now he's just a pinfall guy. He's currently Ziggler from 4 years ago in terms of position in the company and fans.

Who cares what anyone's opinion on Ambrose is. He's the most over full time babyface they currently have despite the fact of being booked like a mid carder until recently. This isn't some "smark" opinion when it is clearly supported by the live crowds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom