• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward ("Good People Die") - US 3DS/Vita release, fall

Clott

I have actually never thought about who you control in this game, I wish we got to be Junpei again.

but anyway, who is the main?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I have actually never thought about who you control in this game, I wish we got to be Junpei again.

but anyway, who is the main?
This guy
ZE_2.png

Don't worry, he's pretty great, you probably won't miss Junpei at all

Esura

Banned
The 23th. Hopefully it will actually ship on time.

Amazon says 24th, so there may be issues.

I don't preorder from Amazon often since I live next door to a Gamestop so I might not have to worry.

Tuesday, October 23rd in North America, and November for Europe.

BE THERE BE THERE BE THERE!

I need more 3DS games so yeah I'm there.

And I didn't realize that was you Scrafty without that Scraggy avatar.

Volcynika

You should add 'less trust' to it. :D

Haha. Maybe add "More Betrayal" or something to it. Though I have no idea about that, I've had to be careful in searches for info to not spoil myself!

The thread itself will be pretty minimalist in information, since I think people just need to know the bare necessities before going in.

Dantis

A week until release? I'd better get my copy ordered. If I'm importing, I need to get it sent off ASAP. Waiting for overseas deliveries is the worst.

Lusankya

Because you can only have one PSN account on a Vita at a time, and my account is for the EU PSN.

You can quite easily switch accounts, I did it recently just for buying VLR via PSN (later on I will buy the retail Eu version as well). You won't lose data and you don't need a second memory card.

Koroviev

How does this game differ from 999? While I enjoyed 999 on an initial playthrough, I was never able to motivate myself to do a second because of the repeated puzzles and felt that the "bad end" was just stupid. Also wasn't a big fan of the character designs, especially the pink-haired girl.

Dantis

How does this game differ from 999? While I enjoyed 999 on an initial playthrough, I was never able to motivate myself to do a second because of the repeated puzzles and felt that the "bad end" was just stupid. Also wasn't a big fan of the character designs, especially the pink-haired girl.

The pink haired girl is the only returning protagonist (As a main character, at least). In terms of the game itself, I believe it's almost identical to 999 in terms of design.

Lusankya

So you still have to repeat most of the puzzles each time? :

No, you don't have to repeat them. You have a handy flowchart and can freely choose from where on you want to continue playing.

You missed the very best part of 999 by not getting the true end. You really, really missed something. Btw. at least during a second playthrough you don't have to replay any puzzle room in 999.

Dantis

As an aside, I feel the character designs in VLR are a lot weaker than 999. Phi and Sigma look good, everyone else ranged from okay to pretty terrible. Doesn't bother me too much, but obviously I'd prefer designs that I actually like.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I hope Laura Bailey or Cristina Vee is in this.
Unless my ears are lying to me, Luna is voiced by Laura Bailey in the US version

I'd agree with Lusankya and say that you really really missed something good and the point of the game by not getting the true end. It's not just a slight change at the end or anything either, it's a good 3~ extra hours of mindblowing plot twists. If the true end were a 10/10 then I'd rate some of the bad ends a 3/10.

If you look up a guide, you can actually get to the true end in just 2 playthroughs, doing a completely different set of puzzles on each one (aside from the starting puzzle). With text skip on it shouldn't take that long at all for a replay.

I'd go as far to say you shouldn't even bother playing VLR until you've experienced 999's true end really.

Koroviev

Unless my ears are lying to me, Luna is voiced by Laura Bailey in the US version

I'd agree with Lusankya and say that you really really missed something good and the point of the game by not getting the true end. It's not just a slight change at the end or anything either, it's a good 3~ extra hours of mindblowing plot twists. If the true end were a 10/10 then I'd rate some of the bad ends a 3/10.

If you look up a guide, you can actually get to the true end in just 2 playthroughs, doing a completely different set of puzzles on each one (aside from the starting puzzle). With text skip on it shouldn't take that long at all for a replay.

I'd go as far to say you shouldn't even bother playing VLR until you've experienced 999's true end really.

I'd have to pick it up again. At least it's pretty cheap now. Are 999 and VLR that closely linked?

I'd have to pick it up again. At least it's pretty cheap now. Are 999 and VLR that closely linked?

I played it recently, I recommend using a spoiler free guide, you need 2 playthroughs to get the true ending and it asks for specific routes. Every other route sends you to to the same 3 bad ends.

I'm not sure if the games are linked that much aside of Clover being a returning character.

Belisarius

Neo Member

There are definitely a lot of connections, but VLR can stand on it's own if it needs to. The biggest issue is that VLR will totally spoil you on some of the big revelations from 999. I'd strongly recommend finishing up 999 first. If you've already gotten one ending it shouldn't take you that long.

Lusankya

This guy
ZE_2.png

Don't worry, he's pretty great, you probably won't miss Junpei at all

Concerning Sigma being the main char I always found the very first promo image of VLR to be confusing.

CA6Ma.jpg

When I first learned of this game and saw this picture I automatically assumed Phi would be the protagonist.

Concerning Sigma being the main char I always found the very first promo image of VLR to be confusing.

CA6Ma.jpg

When I first learned of this game and saw this picture I automatically assumed Phi would be the protagonist.

Ahrrr, I clearly remember it like it was yesterday.
It was August 2011 an' I was sitting in an internet café down in Greece, wondering what news would 999 bring to that faraway land. A sequel, they screamed!
And this picture blew mah mind away!
It's been a while, now that I think of it...

Koroviev

There's a demo on PSN, right? I was going to download it earlier, but the store appears to be down for maintenance (of course). This game is certainly made more appealing by virtue of not having you repeat content.

Also, how significant is Clover's role in VLR? She was one of the reasons I didn't bother finishing 999.

Volcynika

There's a demo on PSN, right? I was going to download it earlier, but the store appears to be down for maintenance (of course). This game is certainly made more appealing by virtue of not having you repeat content.

Also, how significant is Clover's role in VLR? She was one of the reasons I didn't bother finishing 999.

There is a demo on PSN, yes.

She's one of the main characters, but that's all I know.

Also the thread is done! Will be posted tonight.

CorySchmitz

At an absolute tossup on which version to get. I even have both preordered. I like playing on the PS Vita more, but 999 was on the DS.

I also have a suspicion that the 3DS was the lead platform. Can anyone verify this?

At an absolute tossup on which version to get. I even have both preordered. I like playing on the PS Vita more, but 999 was on the DS.

I also have a suspicion that the 3DS was the lead platform. Can anyone verify this?

This has always been so silly to me. I mean really, who cares? All I had to do is think of how much better this was gonna look on the Vita and that's all it took for me. Simple as that.

Top Bottom