• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward ("Good People Die") - US 3DS/Vita release, fall

Those who tried out Ever17 might also want to consider Never7, which is also by the same writer. It got an English patch about a month ago and it's available legally as a Digital Download.
I think I'll play this after VLR. Hopefully it won't be a disappointment compared to the greatness that is the Zero Escape franchise.

Also, Mr. Birdy, any news today?

Hmmm... The site's not updated yet. I thought t was usually around this time every week, right?

Is it a sign of something coming?!? O.O Or perhaps, I'm just impatient... >.>

RedSwirl

What are the chances this will have a low print run and go vintage on the 3DS? Hoping it ends up on the eShop for just that reason.

Lusankya

Hmmm... The site's not updated yet. I thought t was usually around this time every week, right?

Is it a sign of something coming?!? O.O Or perhaps, I'm just impatient... >.>

Or maybe because of this:

Birdy said:
*Chirp Chirp* I was having such a nice nap where I had a dream about upcoming VLR news, but I can't remember much... My dream made me think something might happen later this week, but then again, was that reality or just an illusion?

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Birdy can't comment right now because he's taking a bird bath ;)

But hopefully we'll have something in the near future, but as to exactly when is a mystery~

Hobohodo

Ok, so as the EU version has no English dub I'm wondering, how much of the game is actually dubbed? Depending on the amount I may go ahead and import the Vita version and then just support the EU release by buying the 3DS version.

Dantis

Ok, so as the EU version has no English dub I'm wondering, how much of the game is actually dubbed? Depending on the amount I may go ahead and import the Vita version and then just support the EU release by buying the 3DS version.

I had assumed the whole game was dubbed. I'd never even considered otherwise.

Interesting point.

Hobohodo

Yeah I had as well, till I saw some posts from people saying they preferred to play on the Vita (I'm assuming they must have played the Japanese version?) due to the amount of reading you have to do and the screen being bigger. Got me thinking about it.

Nekobo

Yeah I had as well, till I saw some posts from people saying they preferred to play on the Vita (I'm assuming they must have played the Japanese version?) due to the amount of reading you have to do and the screen being bigger. Got me thinking about it.

That's why I'm getting the Vita version. Bigger text, clearer screen. Just have to find a decent capacitive stylus...

Belisarius

Neo Member

The novel parts are all completely voiced (except for Sigma). The escape parts have no voiced lines.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
The novel parts are all completely voiced (except for Sigma). The escape parts have no voiced lines.

Just to expand on that, for those that haven't played the demo yet, Sigma doesn't have a voice but has blips and bleeps like all the characters in 999 had.

Also, in the Escape parts, all the characters are voiced with blips and bleeps, just like in 999.

So a bit of nostalgia there for you all ;)

So... Akselziys. Any reason the site didn't update yet? I hope Birdy's bath isn't using up all the hot water that normally powers the stie's updater.

Quick! Someone get some coal for the steam engine!

Midou

I think I'll play this after VLR. Hopefully it won't be a disappointment compared to the greatness that is the Zero Escape franchise.

Also, Mr. Birdy, any news today?

I find Ever17 to be a bit stronger as a plot than 999, I guess it's a result of it being a visual novel and just being like 30 hours of text. The situation was a bit similar to 999 but the twists much crazier.

Realized midway thru my first playthrough of 999 looking at a FAQ that I'm pretty much locked into getting the "Knife" ending. Should I just restart? -_-

Realized midway thru my first playthrough of 999 looking at a FAQ that I'm pretty much locked into getting the "Knife" ending. Should I just restart? -_-
Nah, Knife is a fairly good ending to get first. I suggest
**Minor spoilers for the ending names**
Knife -> Sub -> Axe -> Safe -> True/Coffin

At least, that's the way I'm doing it right now, and I'm loving it! In that order, the endings get better and better, imo, as you go along.

Torraz

So 30ish hours for a first blind playthrough of 999 and then seeing the other endings (with help of a guide) is a realistic estimation? I'm jumping in tonight. I've got a month, and a bit, until the EU launch.

Dantis

So 30ish hours for a first blind playthrough of 999 and then seeing the other endings (with help of a guide) is a realistic estimation? I'm jumping in tonight. I've got a month, and a bit, until the EU launch.

30 hours for one playthrough? Not even close. Took me 23 hours to beat it five times.

Javier

Yeah, I'd say 20-30 hours to beat 999 in full is accurate. It all depends on how much of a fast reader you are and if you choose to do Ending #2 (which isn't worth it, IMO).

I'm ~14 hours in and on my 5th and final run. First playthrough should be about 5 or 6 hours depending on how quickly you read, how fast you solve the puzzles, and how much you use the fast-forward function.

I'm reading decently fast, solving puzzles on average in 10 minutes or so (about 15-30 min for new ones), and using fast-forward all the way. I should finish the final ending with a total playtime of ~17 or 18 hours, depending on how long the ending is. The last two endings (Endings 1 and 3) are a lot longer than the rest, so I'm taking that time into account.

You should be able to finish by the time the release comes around. Even if you do one room a day, you should be fine. VLR is another case altogether though. I've been hearing estimates of 50 hours to finish the whole game! o_O

I'm ~14 hours in and on my 5th and final run. First playthrough should be about 5 or 6 hours depending on how quickly you read, how fast you solve the puzzles, and how much you use the fast-forward function.

I'm reading decently fast, solving puzzles on average in 10 minutes or so (about 15-30 min for new ones), and using fast-forward all the way. I should finish the final ending with a total playtime of ~17 or 18 hours, depending on how long the ending is. The last two endings (Endings 1 and 3) are a lot longer than the rest, so I'm taking that time into account.

You should be able to finish by the time the release comes around. Even if you do one room a day, you should be fine. VLR is another case altogether though. I've been hearing estimates of 50 hours to finish the whole game! o_O

Well, 50 hours seems a bit too much. Ryouga here clocked 38 hours, IIRC, and another user did 43 hours.
I'd say that 40 hours seems to be the average complete game.

Lusankya

Man, I can't wait to play VLR. It'll be the first time I buy the same game twice (1x US PSN, 1x EU 3DS). :)
Question, the PSN version will cost $40 or $50? Just want to know if I have to buy two $20 cards or one $50 card.

Man, I can't wait to play VLR. It'll be the first time I buy the same game twice (1x US PSN, 1x EU 3DS). :)
Question, the PSN version will cost $40 or $50? Just want to know if I have to buy two $20 cards or one $50 card.

Actually, Akselziys confirmed that the PSN version will cost 34,99$!

are you stalking the website ? ( it couldn't be , right ? right ? )
Ha, seems like that, doesn't it? It seems like as soon as I check the site for the day (usually I check on Thursdays, cause that's the day when I know it will update) I find that it has been updated, so I post it here. It's weird how I always seem to get the update right when it's put up.

Just goes to show how hype I am for this game xD

Those who tried out Ever17 might also want to consider Never7, which is also by the same writer. It got an English patch about a month ago and it's available legally as a Digital Download.

Never finished 999, but looking forward to this release. I love how its technically a spiritual successor to the Infinity Series. Finished Ever 17 and Remember 11. Need to play Never 7 when I get the chance.

Ha, seems like that, doesn't it? It seems like as soon as I check the site for the day (usually I check on Thursdays, cause that's the day when I know it will update) I find that it has been updated, so I post it here. It's weird how I always seem to get the update right when it's put up.

Just goes to show how hype I am for this game xD

Your avatar proves that you're not hyped at all for this game :)

Thoraxes

Just to expand on that, for those that haven't played the demo yet, Sigma doesn't have a voice but has blips and bleeps like all the characters in 999 had.

Also, in the Escape parts, all the characters are voiced with blips and bleeps, just like in 999.

So a bit of nostalgia there for you all ;)

I like how I can always make the joke that the xylophone player from the Phoenix Wright games found a job playing for 999 and VLR.

GSR

Out of curiosity, what are people's delivery dates according to Amazon? Mine's apparently set to come in the 26th despite choosing one-day shipping, and I've heard similar stories.

Hopefully just a case of Amazon having something switched up internally...?

Volcynika

Out of curiosity, what are people's delivery dates according to Amazon? Mine's apparently set to come in the 26th despite choosing one-day shipping, and I've heard similar stories.

29th with two-day. :|

I had esitmated shipping for the 18-25th, but then I decided to be stupid and try to change my shipping from Super Save to Two-Day, to see if I could get it earlier, but nothing really changed, so I swapped it back. Now it just says "We'll notify you via e-mail when we have an estimated delivery date for this item. It will ship separately. "

If I lost my pre-order watch because of that switch, I swear... Amazon will suffer my passive-aggressive wrath!

Mine also says the 26th for one-day shipping.

Top Bottom