• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward ("Good People Die") - US 3DS/Vita release, fall

Lusankya

Or this.

Granted, the DS version definitely didn't take me anywhere close to 40 hours to finish.

3D XL should definitely be fine. Totally forgot about that thing.

Btw. it's great to hear the game took you 40 hours to finish. I think it took me only at most half as long to finish 999 and there you had to replay many rooms, while now you can just use this handy flowchart. :)

kurahador

Just a friendly reminder. If you're one of those people who dislike reading for long periods of time on small devices, you might want to consider the Vita version.

Game took me about 40 hours to complete on the Vita, and I think my eyes would have melted out of their sockets if it had been a smaller screen.

Took me about 43 hours, this is pretty accurate.

40+ hours as in multiple playthrough right? 40 hours for one playthrough sounds insane for VN.

Lusankya

40+ hours as in multiple playthrough right? 40 hours for one playthrough sounds insane for VN.

To completely beat the game, I guess. For me "playing through the game" means getting the best ending. When I got e.g. the knife ending in 999 I didn't consider that to be a playthrough.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

I don't want to get into spoiler territory, but it will take you 40 hours to complete the game. I recommend playing this game with your 3DS or Vita plugged in. ^^;

Volcynika

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| BETRAYAL!

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| That Rabbit's Dynamite!

At work so I'm not sure what the YouTube video is, but I like the second one :lol

The OT will be up midnight EST next Tuesday unless there are any hitches.

I might play the game on Vita after I get one just to see the differences (getting the AssCreed bundle), but 3DS first for me! I will be committed to this game for a week at least. Unless I get tired of having my mind blown.

Jawmuncher

At work so I'm not sure what the YouTube video is, but I like the second one :lol

I might play the game on Vita after I get one just to see the differences (getting the AssCreed bundle), but 3DS first for me! I will be committed to this game for a week at least. Unless I get tired of having my mind blown.

I agree the second one is the best.

I've not played Blazblue, so I cannot confirm. :-(

the approach is really similar ..blazblue forces you to see some ending before the true ending is unlocked ..because each individual path has some revealant information ..

9,9,9 did something similar as you couldn't reach the true ending without going to at least one other first ..

VLR changes this a bit ..but follow the same basic rules

So yeah they are kinda similar in that aspect ...

Sounds like a plan. Can't wait to see it.

Lusankya

We should ask an owner of the Japanese full version whether that's just a demo only problem or not.

I asked one and he said he had no problems with the sound of the 3DS version, but he never played the demo so he can't say for sure. Anyone has a sample of the 3DS demo?

RurouniZel

I asked one and he said he had no problems with the sound of the 3DS version, but he never played the demo so he can't say for sure. Anyone has a sample of the 3DS demo?

I don't have sample audio, but I never had audio issues during my playthrough. I'd have noticed after 43 hours. ;P

I don't have sample audio, but I never had audio issues during my playthrough. I'd have noticed after 43 hours. ;P
40+ hours? Jeez, that's Fate/stay night long. Which I think my playtime counter is sitting at around 2 days. Looks like my 3DS is going to have a new "longest avarage playtime" game.

Belisarius

Neo Member

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| I Carrot Believe It's Out Meow

RurouniZel

40+ hours? Jeez, that's Fate/stay night long. Which I think my playtime counter is sitting at around 2 days. Looks like my 3DS is going to have a new "longest avarage playtime" game.

Yes, make no mistake, VLR takes significantly longer to complete. It's really good, mind you, but be prepared to not be able to finish it over a weekend unless you pull some all nighters.

RurouniZel

Better than 999? :)

I guess the best way to put it would be

999 : Portal 1 as VLR : Portal 2

Portal is perfection, Portal 2 is really really great but can't possibly have quite the same impact as it's a sequel. 999/VLR share that relationship.

Of course that's just my opinion. I was hooked on VLR and loved the story, which is great because I was worried I'd be too hyped and leave disappointed. That did not happen. :D

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Game took me about 40 hours to complete on the Vita
Took me about 43 hours, this is pretty accurate.
Whaaaaaat? Was that for plat or just to get through the majority of the story?

This means I'll be sacrificing sleep to play this. I'd originally played 999 late at night and into the morning with headphones on and I was thinking of doing the same with VLR. Man, and here I was thinking it was 20 hours or so.

RurouniZel

Whaaaaaat? Was that for plat or just to get through the majority of the story?

This means I'll be sacrificing sleep to play this. I'd originally played 999 late at night and into the morning with headphones on and I was thinking of doing the same with VLR. Man, and here I was thinking it was 20 hours or so.

If you want to finish the story, it will take that long, yes.

i7Wqilg1Inwf7.png

Just a heads up - the show that I work on (Gamesies) is doing a giveaway for the 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors preorder watch in our GAF thread. All you have to do to enter is post in our Episode 2 thread:

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=494989

Thought you all might want to know!

Dantis

I just got the true ending for 999.

My mind is blown. After the travesty that was the Corpse Party ending (Which is the last game I finished before this), this was full-on amazing.

Seriously not convinced that the sequel can live up to it though. I think it's about as good as a VN can physically be.

Alex

That's funny, I kinda feel the opposite. Corpse Party had a really well wrapped together ending where you felt both the growth and loss of the situation whereas the worst part about 999 was the menagerie mess of the true ending.

i7Wqilg1Inwf7.png

Just a heads up - the show that I work on (Gamesies) is doing a giveaway for the 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors preorder watch in our GAF thread. All you have to do to enter is post in our Episode 2 thread:

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=494989

Thought you all might want to know!

Is this open worldwide? This is important.

Each of these will count as an entry, so you can triple your chances of winning. This giveaway is open to everyone on the globe, and we'll announce the winner on Friday, October 19th at Noon EST.

Oh, guess I'll give your show a try later when I'm less busy :D

Dantis

That's funny, I kinda feel the opposite. Corpse Party had a really well wrapped together ending where you felt both the growth and loss of the situation whereas the worst part about 999 was the menagerie mess of the true ending.

Wut.

Corpse Party had no ending. It was just
"Yep, you survived, but it was all a waste, because nothing was accomplished. Oh, and everyone is forgotten now too. Suck it." Very curious what growth you're referring to though.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously not convinced that the sequel can live up to it though. I think it's about as good as a VN can physically be.
Whoa lets not get too hasty here. 999 is an overall good package and the unique gameplay is awesome but I'd say it's just above-average among the overall selection available in the visual novel genre.

Also, if you really liked 999 you may be interested in checking out Ever 17, which is also written by Uchikoshi, and I believe it has an official English PC release. It's a full-fledged visual novel though, so no gameplay elements, but it has all the plot twists and style you've come to expect from him.

Whoa lets not get too hasty here. 999 is an overall good package and the unique gameplay is awesome but I'd say it's just above-average among the overall selection available in the visual novel genre.

Also, if you really liked 999 you may be interested in checking out Ever 17, which is also written by Uchikoshi, and I believe it has an official English PC release. It's a full-fledged visual novel though, so no gameplay elements, but it has all the plot twists and style you've come to expect from him.

While we're at it, you should also mention Never7, whose translation came out some months ago by a fan team. It is written by Uchikoshi and has some mindblowing pieces (some involving Schrödinger's cat), even if it's a bit on the slow side.
The final route is a masterpiece of storytelling.

Alex

Wut.

Corpse Party had no ending. It was just
"Yep, you survived, but it was all a waste, because nothing was accomplished. Oh, and everyone is forgotten now too. Suck it." Very curious what growth you're referring to though.

Quickly exposed the rest of the lore, settled the situation, put the characters through the wringer and while you survive it's with some loss and tragedy. I found it memorable and pretty fitting. It was a nice change of pace from the norm and what my expectations were.

Whereas in 999, it's a very typical video game/anime ending. It runs on about five times as long as it needs to, forcibly trying to tie bows on everything no matter what and generally flips the entire situation into a happy teehee ending that undermines a lot of the struggle and any lessons learned as well as some really awkward character traits.

Didn't care for it, but can't say it wasn't what I figured they'd do and I assume they'll do it again, because not many in nerd culture seem to be willing to pen endings, even to horror or drama stories, that don't attempt to leave fuzzy huggy feelings in everyone. If you can't tell, it's a pet peeve of mine, haha

Dantis

Quickly exposed the rest of the lore, settled the situation, put the characters through the wringer and while you survive it's with some loss and tragedy. I found it memorable and pretty fitting. It was a nice change of pace from the norm and what my expectations were.

Whereas in 999, it's a very typical video game/anime ending. It runs on about five times as long as it needs to, forcibly trying to tie bows on everything no matter what and generally flips the entire situation into a happy teehee ending that undermines a lot of the struggle and any lessons learned as well as some really awkward character traits.

Didn't care for it, but can't say it wasn't what I figured they'd do and I assume they'll do it again, because not many in nerd culture seem to be willing to pen endings, even to fucking horror or drama stories, that don't attempt to leave fuzzy huggy feelings in everyone.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, friend.

Never heard of Ever 17. The basic plot does remind me of 999/VLR - looks pretty interesting.

Never heard of Ever 17. The basic plot does remind me of 999/VLR - looks pretty interesting.

Do not expect a 999 experience. I had to yawn through the first hours of the game, because of very poor pacing. I had even abandoned it for a while. But after reading SO MANY positive things about it, I gave it another try. And it was WORTH IT!!!!
Karma is a wonderful piece of music and, if you listen to it after playing the game, it summons so many memories... (The image of the video can be spoilery, but if you know nothing about the plot, it will mean nothing)
But you have to be patient with Ever17.
The other chapters of the Infinity series are good too: Never7, mentioned before, and Remember11, which is an awesome experience with a too much convoluted plot.
Uchikoshi had a big role in all 3 games.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Also, if you really liked 999 you may be interested in checking out Ever 17, which is also written by Uchikoshi, and I believe it has an official English PC release.

Wait, this got an English release? I always thought it wasn't released outside Japan. Is there somewhere that I can buy a digital version of this?

Necrovex

Wait, this got an English release? I always thought it wasn't released outside Japan. Is there somewhere that I can buy a digital version of this?

I always thought it only got a fan-translated English patch too. Maybe I'll play through it if it is legitimately out in English.

RurouniZel

I always thought it only got a fan-translated English patch too. Maybe I'll play through it if it is legitimately out in English.

It's out there, but the company that translated it is out of business.

And while it's in English, it isn't very good English.

That's a major downer.
It'd not Aksys quality, but its still passable.

The only thing I didn't like about Ever 17 was
The coco's ending with the "omnipotent-spirit guy" who's name I can't remember. It felt kinda forced, and I hate stories with elements like that.
Other than that, I enjoyed it.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.

The coco's ending with the "omnipotent-spirit guy" who's name I can't remember. It felt kinda forced, and I hate stories with elements like that.

Aww <3

I keep remembering how much I love the art of the guy who did the fanart of Sigma you're using as your avatar :)

He also did one of Tenmyouji, so I went ahead and made an avatar of it as well, if anyone would like to use it ;)

ikKW3.png

Blick Winkel! Well, that was the greatest twist of the game! I mean, you're talking about him, you DID realize his identity, didn't you?

As for the avatar... Oh! I'd reallyl ike that, but I feel I need to know more about Tenmyouji. It doesn't seem fair to steal this avatar... :)

Aww <3

I keep remembering how much I love the art of the guy who did the fanart of Sigma you're using as your avatar :)

He also did one of Tenmyouji, so I went ahead and made an avatar of it as well, if anyone would like to use it ;)

ikKW3.png

I wish he did art of K... :<

I had to capture mine straight from the OVA.

Top Bottom