• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward ("Good People Die") - US 3DS/Vita release, fall

Busaiku

So I'm just starting off in 999, about how long should I expect for the true ending?
Took me about an hour to get to
where 9 opened the door

So I'm just starting off in 999, about how long should I expect for the true ending?
where 9 opened the door

6-7 hours for the first playthrough, 2-3 for subsequent playthroughs. (Text skipping option.)

But the True ending path is quite a bit longer than any other, so expect to add a few hours to that.

Mzo

where 9 opened the door
Play it once to get whatever ending you get, then look up the spoiler-free image that shows you what triggers what path. They're pretty simple forks in the road. Get all the endings and finish up with the good one.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
On the other hand, if you're the impatient type you can also get to the true ending in 2-3 playthroughs depending on which ending you get the first time. If you think you're getting burnt out, it's better to at least see the true end than try to get every end and quit.

Ath

Pre-ordered at AmazonUK for now, though I this is one game that I really want early. Might switch to Shopto when they get round to putting up a page for this (unless they price it at £29.99 or something).

I think Nintendo Direct has had a nice effect on awareness for this and the first game! The US import of 999 shot up the Amazon rankings for a while (settled at #581 for now) and VLR is at #160 on 3DS and #333 on Vita.

Is this worth it if you haven't played 999? The demo didn't do much for me, so I never wanted to import, but I wouldn't mind trying VLR since it's at least coming out in my territory.

wrowa

Is this worth it if you haven't played 999? The demo didn't do much for me, so I never wanted to import, but I wouldn't mind trying VLR since it's at least coming out in my territory.

Get 999 first. Just buy it. It's a great game and in case you dislike it you'll most probably also dislike its sequel. Though, be aware that the demo features the worst puzzle of the whole game.

You don't need to have played it to understand VLR, but you will miss at least some part of the experience and you'll definitely spoil yourself 999's story by playing the sequel first. It's also not really expensive -- vg+ has it for 23€+shipping.

Get 999 first. Just buy it. It's a great game and in case you dislike it you'll most probably also dislike its sequel. Though, be aware that the demo features the worst puzzle of the whole game.

You don't need to have played it to understand VLR, but you will miss at least some part of the experience and you'll definitely spoil yourself 999's story by playing the sequel first. It's also not really expensive -- vg+ has it for 23€+shipping.

Thing is, it's always a pain in the ass to get rid off imports I don't enjoy or don't need anymore. So if I gave it a try, I'd prefer this game to spare me the potential hassle, lol.
Though 23€ seems alright, but I'm still rather conflicted. Sadly, it's also hard for me to evaluate whether I'd like it. Loved the CiNG games, hated Layton, felt ,,okay'' about Ace Attorney.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
So Akselziys... Any news from our Blue-feathered friend? He has been rather quiet lately....

All that excitement from before must have tired him out ;)

Let me poke him for you... *poke poke*

5482C.png

Birdy said:
*Chirp Chirp* I was having such a nice nap where I had a dream about upcoming VLR news, but I can't remember much... My dream made me think something might happen later this week, but then again, was that reality or just an illusion?

Oh Birdy, always so mysterious~

We'll have to wait and see if his psychic prowess rings true :)

*shakes head with a smile* Oh Birdy...

Well here's hoping for the future! Until that news comes, I have a 999 play through to finish. I still have 3 endings to play through and my mind has already blown to bits with how great the story is! If VLR is at least on par with 999 in terms of story depth, I will be extremely pleased!

Hopefully "Zero Escape: Volume 3" won't be too far behind this one! ;)

Eusis

this has probably been asked a million times, but which version is better?
Up to preference. I imagine purely from a technical standpoint the Vita's out and out better, but it's not a game that NEEDS to be high resolution, and I prefer using a stylus over my finger so unless they screwed up the 3DS control scheme I'll prefer controlling it there. You also get a physical manual with the 3DS version, and personally I like keeping the series to one system (and can just rebuy the game on Vita in a DD sale anyway).

EDIT: Also, there ARE points where the game practically screams "I'm an upscaled 3DS game!", like some of the hud elements being notably pixelated.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
this has probably been asked a million times, but which version is better?
It's kind of down to whether you want better graphics or better controls. I was championing the vita version for its graphical fidelity for a long time, but after playing the demo I ended up missing the stylus controls way too much. As long as it doesn't deviate much from the 999 scheme, personally the 3DS version will probably be the one I go with.

Edit - Wait, I'm retarded, just bought a LL recently and the Japanese version of the 3DS demo is available. Going to go test it now

GSR

Nice - I haven't seen that art before........someone volunteer and make more avatars!

I imagine there'll be avatars with the OT in a week or two. Which reminds me, Volcynika, any ideas for a title yet? Worst comes to worst, you can always just do:

Virtue's Last Reward |OT| Good People Die

Alright, I'm all K-ed up and ready for release! Just 15 days to go!

Man, two weeks already? I'm sorta regretting getting Black 2 right now since I can't get enough money in time to get this day one D:

I blame the watches not being available for anyone outside the US for making me get my priorities wrong.

Volcynika

I imagine there'll be avatars with the OT in a week or two. Which reminds me, Volcynika, any ideas for a title yet? Worst comes to worst, you can always just do:

Virtue's Last Reward |OT| Good People Die

I'm up for suggestions, since I am fairly poor at putting subtitles! :p

The avatars may be a bit limited from the art I've seen, but that possibly could be included. Also trying to avoid spoilers, so searching for stuff online seems ripe to spoil me on something D:

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished the JP 3DS demo, here are my comparison impressions for anyone who wanted more information before deciding which version to get. 3DS version was played on an LL:

Graphics:

Vita is super crispy, great colors, dat OLED etc., but at the same time some of the upscaled assets, especially certain environmental textures, look really blurry and out of place in contrast to the rest of the graphics (Alice's boobs look like they're melded together at the seam rather than 2 separate melons).

3DS version's 3D is excellent. I usually turn 3D off in games but it looks GOOD here and I ended up using it the whole time. The resolution/blurriness is nowhere near as bad as this blog post made it out to be. The textures and everything also look natural at the 3DS' resolution.

Controls:

Both versions have the same options for the mechanical controls - L/R to turn camera, analog stick/slide pad to move the target cursor, face buttons to select objects/advance dialogue, dpad for menu shortcuts etc. (Vita analog is more sensitive than the 3DS but both are still over-sensitive imo).

The Vita's finger touch controls are a little less responsive than the 3DS' stylus and straight up terrible for writing in the scratch pad in comparison.

For the 3DS my number one gripe is that the touch controls are on the bottom screen, but the main room view is on the top screen (as opposed to 999 where you looked/interacted exclusively with the bottom screen during escape segments). Both screens actually show the same view, but the bottom one is covered in an intentional blue scan lines effect and much smaller. What this means is that while the clear, big, 3D image is on the top screen, you're only going to be looking at the more obscured, smaller bottom screen when clicking on objects and interacting with the environment.

The bottom screen's scan lines effect in combination with the reduced size can obscure small objects pretty easily depending on the background color. At one point I could see a small key on a blue table on the top screen, but it was nearly invisible on the bottom screen. This creates a disconnect since you either have to be constantly looking back and forth between the two screens while navigating/interacting if you want to enjoy the visuals, or just deal with looking at the scan line filtered bottom screen the whole time.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about: http://www.cubed3.com/media/2012/October/VLR_Screen_1.jpg

Sound:

The 3DS version definitely has compressed audio and it's very noticeable to the point where I was surprised how tinny it sounded (I used headphones for both versions). It's mostly only a problem with voiced lines but the difference is there. Not sure if this will change in the US release or with the dubs.

Overall it feels like a tossup right now, but I have a feeling buying a capacitive stylus for the vita version might be the best way to play, not just because of the crisp visuals and higher fidelity audio, but for the ability to interact with a big clear screen all the time rather than an obscured one. Without a capacitive stylus though the 3DS version would still be worth putting up with imo since finger controls just aren't that good.

Lusankya

The 3DS version definitely has compressed audio and it's very noticeable to the point where I was surprised how tinny it sounded (I used headphones for both versions). It's mostly only a problem with voiced lines but the difference is there. Not sure if this will change in the US release or with the dubs.

We should ask an owner of the Japanese full version whether that's just a demo only problem or not.

Eusis

We should ask an owner of the Japanese full version whether that's just a demo only problem or not.
Yeah, it seems weird that it could be an issue on the 3DS given they both have the same size formats, but I'm pretty sure there's some sort of crazy compression going on with Vita games. Still, it does seem likely that to make a downloadable demo more manageable it was shrunk in size.

And I was half expecting the bottom screen was going to just act as a track pad for the top. Though if the cursor shows there I guess it can anyway.

Dantis

So I got the safe ending on 999 last night, and I'll be going for the true ending tonight. Gotta say, I'm not entirely convinced that VLR can live up to it. We'll have to see.

I definitely feel like they should have stuck with 2D portraits. I'm not sure who the artist is on the games, but 2D really fits his style better in my opinion.

Also, I'm not feeling some of the character designs in VLR. Sigma and Phi are the only characters whose designs I actually feel positively about (And Zero III, but that doesn't really count).

Not sure whether to import this from the US or wait and get the UK version. Still very excited whichever I choose though.

Just a friendly reminder. If you're one of those people who dislike reading for long periods of time on small devices, you might want to consider the Vita version.

Game took me about 40 hours to complete on the Vita, and I think my eyes would have melted out of their sockets if it had been a smaller screen.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| BETRAYAL!

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| That Rabbit's Dynamite!

Lusankya

Just a friendly reminder. If you're one of those people who dislike reading for long periods of time on small devices, you might want to consider the Vita version.

Game took me about 40 hours to complete on the Vita, and I think my eyes would have melted out of their sockets if it had been a smaller screen.

Or a 3D XL. But I can't remember many complains about 999 on the DS. The font back then wasn't smaller than in your average book.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

Took me about 43 hours, this is pretty accurate.

Top Bottom