• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward ("Good People Die") - US 3DS/Vita release, fall

Mafro

So the US version has English voices, but the UK one just has the original Japanese dub? I'll be giving this a miss, then. Can't even import since I've got a 3DS.

Via Facebook:

Rising Star Games "We are working toward releasing Virtue's Last Reward mid November if things go to schedule. Our version is going to be English subtitles with Japanese voices.
-Samuel"

So no English voices for the EU version.

ARE YOU JOKING???
So glad I preordered the US one...

This is much better than "No game" for months ..they probably didn't have enough time to work things out . Certification processes on both 3ds et vita after all

i would get this version but i've preordered the aksys one for months already

Durante

It's really stupid because it's such a niche title, that the people who want it, on Vita at least, are going to import when they hear this. It's better than nothing on 3DS, but it's insulting on Vita.
I'm importing, but not because of the voices. If the European release was earlier I'd just get that.

Lusankya

Definetly agree, I wonder what the reasoning is.

Huh? Money of course. You didn't think they can just use Aksys localization for free? RSG are taking a risk with VLR, because 999 was never released in Europe.

Personally I will buy the US PSN Vita version, because I just can't wait even one more week. ;) Later on I will buy the EU 3DS version to support them.

StuBurns

Banned
Huh? Money of course. You didn't think they can just use Aksys localization for free? RSG are taking a risk with VLR, because 999 was never released in Europe.
I think not including it is just as big of a risk, it makes their product not only late, but inferior. Buying a game online is no harder from the US than the UK, it just costs a little more. I think a lot of people will decide to import.

Lusankya

I think not including it is just as big of a risk, it makes their product not only late, but inferior. Buying a game online is no harder from the US than the UK, it just costs a little more. I think a lot of people will decide to import.
I guess they had to decide between Japanese and English voices and considering the target audience, the Japanese voices are a safer bet.

Wichu

I guess they had to decide between Japanese and English voices and considering the target audience, the Japanese voices are a safer bet.

Aksys's version has dual audio. It's almost certainly due to licensing issues.

Is the text translation the same?

Wow Demo was pretty good, still I wish the transitions between doors was faster, not sure I like swiping the screen on vita, thinking 3DS may be a better fit for this, pointing is better than swiping or tapping, IMO

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Really disappointed about the lack of English voices in the Euro version.
Almost makes me reconsider getting the game.

Via Facebook:

Rising Star Games "We are working toward releasing Virtue's Last Reward mid November if things go to schedule. Our version is going to be English subtitles with Japanese voices.
-Samuel"

So no English voices for the EU version.

I knew it.. :/

It's disappointing but as I still do not have a Vita (and it's very unlikely that I can buy one before mid November) and I want to play this now, I don't have much of a choice but to get the PAL 3DS version...

Too bad, especially after being advised to play it in English considering my logic.

I might consider buying the Vita US version in the future though...

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Yeah, I'm sorry that all the European fans can't play the game with English and Japanese voices >.<

But please support RSG, so that future titles of this genre will come out abroad as well :)

StuBurns

Banned
It's hard to say what will convey the proper message, do you buy the game, hoping that they put more effort in with future iterations, or do you not buy it, hoping that they see people want something at least equal to our American counterparts.

It's difficult to imagine what kind of data they have access too, if the Vita says a notably weaker by comparison to the States, maybe that illustrates levels of importing over buying domestically.

Lusankya

No, support Aksys!

It's hard to say what will convey the proper message, do you buy the game, hoping that they put more effort in with future iterations

Don't hate RSG.

Regarding the voice acting in the PAL version.

For those of you who don&#8217;t know, the PAL version of VLR will only have Japanese voice acting, no English voice acting.

People have already been freaking out over this, which I can understand. But you have to realize that this isn&#8217;t because RSG hates you or anything like that. What you have to realize is that you have to pay licensing fees for all of the voice acting you use whenever you release it in a different territory. That way the voice actors get paid for their voice acting in that territory. So as you could imagine, it&#8217;s really expensive to do dual-audio. People often whine at companies like Atlus for never doing dual-audio, but what you have to realize is that they do that because of how expensive dual-audio is.

Think about it this way, RSG is releasing a sequel to a game that never came out in PAL regions. They are essentially relying on people buying it without playing the first game, or people who imported the first game. So there is no assurance that the game will sell well, and it&#8217;s much more likely that it might not do all that well. So not wanting to pour tons of money into the game isn&#8217;t a very good idea.
http://zeroescapefans.tumblr.com/post/32807704996

Ath

It's hard to say what will convey the proper message, do you buy the game, hoping that they put more effort in with future iterations, or do you not buy it, hoping that they see people want something at least equal to our American counterparts.

It's difficult to imagine what kind of data they have access too, if the Vita says a notably weaker by comparison to the States, maybe that illustrates levels of importing over buying domestically.

Yeah it's a weird situation for sure. As a 3DS owner I'm stuck with the EU version. While it's interesting that they've chosen the Japanese voice acting over the English dub (I would have thought Japanese would have been the more expensive choice), I would have much preferred both voice options. :(

Iceberg

Yeah, I'm sorry that all the European fans can't play the game with English and Japanese voices >.<

But please support RSG, so that future titles of this genre will come out abroad as well :)

As an European fan and 3DS owner, I think I will buy the game because there is no other option, but I don't like this situation of being charged more for a game with less content than the US 3DS release.

It would have made more sense to release the game with just English voices and text or even release the English voices as a DLC for the game if you want to charge more for the rights to English dub, but taking the option from the consumer is a bad choice.

Importing a 3DS and the game looks more likely the more I think about it, so I can decide who I want to support, Aksys or RSG.

Ephidel

I think it feels shadier because of the 3DS region lock. It feels a little mean spirited to sell a lesser product to a captive audience, and even if they had their reasons, I think I resent their choice to do so.

I have a Vita, and I'd been wavering back and forth which version I wanted to buy - Aksys released 999 in the first place, hyped it up, and helped make it do well. They've released a ton of games I never would have expected to see, or never even would have heard about otherwise, and that I've enjoyed.
RSG on the other hand are actually releasing this game in Europe, and with minimal delay. I've moaned enough times about those delays in the past that I kind of felt I should put my money where my mouth is to support an effort to reduce that. And then this :|

When Aksys is the company that seems to be taking risks, Aksys seems far more deserving of my support.

As an European fan and 3DS owner, I think I will buy the game because there is no other option, but I don't like this situation of being charged more for a game with less content than the US 3DS release.

It would have made more sense to release the game with just English voices and text or even release the English voices as a DLC for the game if you want to charge more for the rights to English dub, but taking the option from the consumer is a bad choice.

Importing a 3DS and the game looks more likely the more I think about it, so I can decide who I want to support, Aksys or RSG.

At first I was against this because I felt that companies would exploit this, but now I actually wish that companies started to do that. Options are ALWAYS a good thing, if one particular option is too expensive to bring about because it satisfies only a minor part of the audience they can always try to sell that separately to who's interested. It also helps with the disc/cart capacity problems, one of the main reasons we rarely got dual audio during Ps2/GameCube era.

Welp, looks like the import option is back on the table. At least I have a Vita so I have the option, sucks for those with 3DSes and wanted the dub. I can't see an undubbed VLR doing well, to be honest.

Welp, looks like the import option is back on the table. At least I have a Vita so I have the option, sucks for those with 3DSes and wanted the dub. I can't see an undubbed VLR doing well, to be honest.

It's not unusual for a game not having a proper english dub. Corpse Party sold well, I think.
Anyway, people here seem to like the Jap only option.
I personally don't...

It's not unusual for a game not having a proper english dub. Corpse Party sold well, I think.

There's a difference in sales expectation between a digital indie game and a full retail game with full publisher support. Had Corpse Party sold only a few thousand thousand copies I would wager that XSEED would call it a profit, I don't think the same would be said to Rising Star only selling a few thousand copies of VLR.

So wait, why can't they just forget about the Japanese voices and instead license the English voices? Is there really that much a difference in price?

So wait, why can't they just forget about the Japanese voices and instead license the English voices? Is there really that much a difference in price?

For Japanese games JP voices are much more popular than EN dub, so they just went with what the majority of their fans most likely would want.
They also asked about it on their forums some time ago.

EDIT:

It's too bad that they skipped on this one as it seems that it was done with much more care and attention than average.
Plus by following my rule I was supposed to play this with English voices... I guess I'll buy the Vita NA version too sometime in the future.

Wow... there is a Good Burger reference in the Demo. LOL!

tumblr_kwf6z8wGRV1qaa226o1_500.jpg

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa is there going to be a full OVA? Or is it that 12~ minute animation that depicts the intro scene? I assumed that was just for promotional purposes.

Just watched a video of the demo, since I am unfortunately unable to play it. I absolutely adore K's voice, and Zero III was sounding more and more like Kristen Schaal with every line (not that that's a bad thing at all).

Also, I caught a flash of several characters lying in pools of blood during the sizzle reel at the beginning. Preemptively hinting at one of the 15 endings already, eh Akselziys?

I'm struggling in the demo...
I'm at the part in room 1 where you see the numbers on the mirror and then find the pin to turn on the locker. I tried the combination on the mirror and it isn't working. Any clues? ;)

I think you need to
use the poster code for that.

I had the right numbers, except it just said the shapes were flipped. THANKS! =D

Man, after playing 999 on DS, using your finger to do everything is ANNOYING. Does the 3DS version not have achievements or whatever they are called on there?

UberTag

I had the right numbers, except it just said the shapes were flipped. THANKS! =D
It's only appropriate that a locker clue revealed by scratching the clothes off of a scantily-clad poster girl and behaving like a hornball while doing so would trip people up with an inverted 69.

Man, after playing 999 on DS, using your finger to do everything is ANNOYING. Does the 3DS version not have achievements or whatever they are called on there?
3DS doesn't have an achievement system.
For me, it's all about the trophies.
I suspect we'll get used to the touchscreen camera system on the VITA version over time.

(And yes, you can just use the face buttons but then you're stuck moving a target sensor around with the analog stick instead of the elegance of a quick stylus tap like we're used to from 999.)

Minimalist walkthrough for the demo:

Go into room 1, dial 2652 on the phone, get the pin, insert pin in the locker, dial 1986 on the locker keyboard, get the safe code, open safe. No need to go in the other rooms! :)

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Minimalist walkthrough for the demo:

Go into room 1, dial 2652 on the phone, get the pin, insert pin in the locker, dial 1986 on the locker keyboard, get the safe code, open safe. No need to go in the other rooms! :)

Will the characters say anything differently if you do it that way? Considering the overall shadiness of it.

Will the characters say anything differently if you do it that way? Considering the overall shadiness of it.

No, there's no difference in the dialogues, except one line:
When Alice notices the Schrödinger's Cat book, if you moved it on top of the safe (like you should have), she will say: How about that book on the safe?
If you leave it on the desk, she'll say; How about that book on the desk?

UberTag

Big thing that stuck out for me from the demo was that the main NPC protagonist character in this title (Sigma) seemed like somewhat of a putz compared with 999's Junpei. Definitely more of a meathead and the kitty puns he tried to sell as being humorous came across as quite lame.

Both Alice and Phi seemed to be rather tolerant of his shenanigans for the most part. Not sure how long that will last.

No English voice acting eh? All well.....importing the Vita version confirmed. It's no big deal for me really.....

At least I get to play it earlier too! Does anyone know where to buy it from for cheap that ships to Australia?

Top Bottom