• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Home-style cooking with OnkelC, Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ChrisAllenFiz said:
It was basically diced potato,with mince or finely diced meat, onions and spices, mixed together and fried into a sort of hash. Served on a wooden platter shaped like a shovel. Hence the name. It looks like roadkill. :)
Were eggs involved?
Edit: did it look something like this:
28833-big-bauernfruehstueck.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ChrisAllenFiz said:
Not as eggy as that certainly, I don`t remember any egg, but then several fine german beers were consumed that night!
I thought of "Bauernfrühstück" first, which is a usual partner with beer.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ChrisAllenFiz said:
Beer for breakfast ??! :D
The name is kinda sarcastic, as "Bauernfrühstück" is by all means to be consumed for dinner.:lol

I am a bit disappointed that yesterdays' Spätzle got no love from NeoGAF, so I am awaiting your suggestions for todays dinner. Otherwise there will be only a Kinder egg and its content posted.

8bit

Knows the Score
OnkelC said:
The name is kinda sarcastic, as "Bauernfrühstück" is by all means to be consumed for dinner.:lol

I am a bit disappointed that yesterdays' Spätzle got no love from NeoGAF, so I am awaiting your suggestions for todays dinner. Otherwise there will be only a Kinder egg and its content posted.

I usually have Bauernfrühstück for breakfast at the weekend. At first I didn't know any better, but then I got used to it.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
8bit said:
I usually have Bauernfrühstück for breakfast at the weekend. At first I didn't know any better, but then I got used to it.
He who called my Spätzle Weido...were you satisfied with the addendum to my post at least?:lol

8bit

Knows the Score
OnkelC said:
He who called my Spätzle Weido...were you satisfied with the addendum to my post at least?:lol

Absolutely! A fine clarification on your part, I was just confused as it seemed more likely Macaroni and cheese.

I don't know much better though, I moved to Switzerland from the UK and usually wander about Edeka in Germany confused. That's why I was buying Bauenfruhstuck for breakfast.

--

PS, looking forward to the Rosti whenever you get round to that.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Onkel you rock. This thread is great. Id make the Käsespätzle for lunch today but I literally only have canned food in my house at the moment.

We should have an official cooking thread. It seems that a lot of people including myself enjoy cooking and have some recipe's to share. I know lots of different dishes from different countries, but since my mum is arabic I know a lot of arabic dishes and since everyone is posting dishes from their culture I guess I will do the same.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Hitokage said:
Why do the noodles have to be taken directly from the pot? Are they meant to self-adhere?

The noodles must be as hot and moist as possible to melt the cheese accordingly. The dish tastes best when the cheese is molten only by the heat of the noodles.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
psycho_snake said:
Onkel you rock. This thread is great. Id make the Käsespätzle for lunch today but I literally only have canned food in my house at the moment.

We should have an official cooking thread. It seems that a lot of people including myself enjoy cooking and have some recipe's to share. I know lots of different dishes from different countries, but since my mum is arabic I know a lot of arabic dishes and since everyone is posting dishes from their culture I guess I will do the same.

Great Idea. Arab cuisine is very tasty. Maybe post your recipes in here, I would like to them. And take pictures!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
OnkelC said:
The noodles must be as hot and moist as possible to melt the cheese accordingly. The dish tastes best when the cheese is molten only by the heat of the noodles.
Ahh.. ok, thought it might have something to do with the residual cooking water but wasn't sure.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
OnkelC said:
Great Idea. Arab cuisine is very tasty. Maybe post your recipes in here, I would like to them. And take pictures!
sure thing, I'll post a recipe as soon as I can get all the ingredients to make it.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
OnkelC said:
Thanks and go ahead! It's nice to learn new stuff.

Aight, I'll make something tonight that doesn't really have a name because my dad developed it when he was a student, but could be described as an Frisian/French/Japanese fusion-cooking omelet I guess :D. I can only however take pictures with my telephone since my cam froze to death in Sweden some time ago and I haven't replaced it yet :/. So you guys have to do with shots that will be a little low-res.

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
Its 2:00am and i'm starting to get hungry. Never should click on food threads at night.

Ogni-XR21

@Onkel C: Maggi Fix, shame on you. And peas and carrots canned....

Well nice thread, I would have taken some pictures yesterday if I had seen this thread before. I made fillet from beef with hand made spätzle and green beans (from frozen beans, no canned goods), delicious but expensive - the fillet costs much but is worth it!

Maybe I'll post a recipe later, but it would be lacking pictures.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Ogni-XR21 said:
@Onkel C: Maggi Fix, shame on you. And peas and carrots canned....

Well nice thread, I would have taken some pictures yesterday if I had seen this thread before. I made fillet from beef with hand made spätzle and green beans (from frozen beans, no canned goods), delicious but expensive - the fillet costs much but is worth it!

Maybe I'll post a recipe later, but it would be lacking pictures.

Yeah, afterwards I made a Beef Wellington for 12 Persons, but lacked to take pictures, too...:lol
unschuldsengel.jpg

yilmazz

... hungry. :(

Please people post some other recipes too, I already know German food.
btw onkelc, do you really like the carrots and peas with fries? I don't think that it's fitting together very good. When I cook Schnitzel, I usually have potatoes or mashed potatoes with it and I put the carrots and peas in white sauce (helle soße), which I think is better than only carrots and peas.
But what do I know, I'm only a Germanzied immigrant. :lol

Man, I need something good to eat right now.. today I only had lousy Zürcher Schnitte, which is just toast dipped in mixed eggs with ham, cheese and some other stuff between it and then roasted in butter in a pan.. really fast and not very filling. :(

toast1sf0.jpg

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
spread the joy that is nudel or kartofel auflauf!!! They are both godly

(I reserve the right to be totally incorrect with my spelling)

NotWii

Banned
yilmazz said:
Man, I need something good to eat right now.. today I only had lousy Zürcher Schnitte, which is just toast dipped in mixed eggs with ham, cheese and some other stuff between it and then roasted in butter in a pan.. really fast and not very filling. :(

toast1sf0.jpg
Isn't that just French Toast without the French?!

BTW, keep the German recipes coming, I love trying intercontinental foods!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Nice Photo, yilmazz, keep'em coming. But drowning carrots'n'peas with redymade white sauce is considered a crime.
Catfish: Hold on till the weekend!

These are the ingredients for tonights' little visit to Italy:
Spaghetti con pesto!
CIMG0202.jpg

Cooking will start in a few minutes.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Buona Sera NeoGAF,
The following is my interpretation of the Italian classic, Pesto. It is a very easy to "cook" pasta sauce, because it has only few ingredients and is prepared in about 30 minutes, but looks and tastes like 100 Bucks and is a good way to impress the chicks. There is no cooking involved in the preparation of this sauce, as it is mixed with the hot noodles and therefore gives a great, chlorophyllic and fresh taste.
Special items needed:
a blender (Magic Wand?):
CIMG0207.jpg

and a big ass bowl for mixing/serving:
CIMG0203.jpg

Pro tip: fill the bowl with boiling water when starting the preparations; it will keep the noodles warm.

Preparation:
Apart from some decent spaghetti (Barilla Spaghetti No. 5 or Spaghettini No. 3 are a good choice), the ingredients are:
two handful of chopped parsley:
CIMG0204.jpg

a handful of chopped basil:
CIMG0208.jpg

one segment of garlic, chopped:
CIMG0214.jpg

CIMG0215.jpg

CIMG0216.jpg

Pro Tip: to prevent your hands smelling like garlic, wash your hands with salt. Garlic smell be gone! On with the ingredients:

some grated italian hard cheese (I usually choose Grana Padano, but Pecorino or Parmigiano will do the trick, too):
CIMG0213.jpg

and some pine seeds, roasted like this:
CIMG0209.jpg

CIMG0210.jpg

CIMG0211.jpg

Put the ingredients in a high jar, it should look like this:
CIMG0218.jpg

Add some decent, cold-pressed olive oil:
CIMG0219.jpg

And administer the magic wand. Result should look like this:
CIMG0220.jpg

Yes, I know how it looks.

Next, cook the spaghetti until "al dente"
CIMG0222.jpg

Pro Tip: the noodles are al dente when they stick when thrown onto a wall.

Next: empty the bowl, put the pesto in it and add (EDIT)a ladle of the noodle cooking water:
CIMG0223.jpg

Yes, I know how it looks.

Put the slightly drained noodles in the bowl and mix them with the pesto:
CIMG0224.jpg

Decorate with some leftover basil leaves...
CIMG0228.jpg

and serve with some grated Grana Padano:
CIMG0229.jpg

Buon appetito(sp) from Bonn!

Edit:
As I am really interested in NeoGAF feedback, please leave plenty of comments!

Zaptruder

Banned
Looks awesome...

except, why do you add water to it? Wouldn't the pasta itself already be moist enough when you draw it out of the water? and wouldn't the extra cup of water just make the whole thing sloppy?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Zaptruder said:
Looks awesome...

except, why do you add water to it? Wouldn't the pasta itself already be moist enough when you draw it out of the water? and wouldn't the extra cup of water just make the whole thing sloppy?
Good question. The boiling water acts as a "flavour-turbocharger" and unlocks the full herbal goodness. In addition, it helps to smoothen up the otherwise compact pesto mass and therefore aids in mixing noodles and pesto. Adding a bit of noodle water is common in many italian sauce recipes.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Zaptruder said:

my gf makes almost this exact thing and it owns. No sloppyness.

This thread rocks Onkel! Pine seeds are the shit as well, I love just munching them on their own.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Pro Tip: the noodles are al dente when they stick when thrown onto a wall.

:lol
wtf? Is this true? You must have a sloppy wall if this is your test for al dente :lol

Manaka

Cool, didn't even know the thing with the noodle cooking water ^^

I really love Pesto, but I have to admit that most of the time I just buy the sauce instead of cooking it myself (mostly because they also sell the extremely great tasting tomato pesto!)

So, what's next ? :)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ok, that looks like it has too much water. Maybe you like it that way, and that's fine, but 1/4 cup cooking water should be used rather than a full cup, and that's if you're cooking sauce for a pound of pasta. Its purpose is to add starch that was leeched out of the noodles to the sauce itself so it adheres to the noodles better when mixing. Italians server their dishes mixed so that's why it's so commonly used. Don't use it for cream sauces though.

Tip I haven't tried myself: Put the basil and parsley in a freezer bag and beat it with a blunt object before putting everything in a food processor to bring out more of the flavor.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Damn, that looks tasty, gotta try it out. Only I don't have a blender :/. Anyway, my contribution to the thread:

Ei-uienprut Deluxe (rough translation: A mire of eggs, onions and bacon)

My guest for the dinner had a camera, so quality pictures FTW. This one is called “Ei-uienprut Deluxe” (Note: ‘Deluxe’ because its with meat, the original recipe was veggie-friendly. More on that later). What you need are the following:

01go3.jpg

The main dish in this case was served with rice and beans. The ingredients for the main dish are onions (one big onion is enough for two persons), pepper, Italian/French Herbs (dried, fresh could be used), Soy Sauce (I use Kikkoman), and stuff that’s called ‘Katenspek’ in the Netherlands and is basically some type of bacon. You can use regular bacon or something like it. Furthermore, an essential ingredient:

02pb9.jpg

You need two eggs per person.

Cut up the onion and the bacon:

03xb5.jpg

Bake the bacon, toss in the onion a little later. I used a Teflon baking pan:

04ct2.jpg

Smash the eggs, clutch them, and add the pepper, Italian or French herbs and the Soy Sauce:

05hu1.jpg

How much depends on your tastes, but I would at least toss one table spoon of herbs and 2-3 table spoons of Soy Sauce. It’ll then look like this:

06hc8.jpg

When the bacon is crispy and the onion is thoroughly baked, pour in the mixture:

07ij7.jpg

Now, if you want to do this as a real pro, there’s a trick for baking the omelette to perfection. Pre-heat a lid a little on an other fire of your stove. When you are finished with baking the onion/bacon and have poured the mixture on (make sure to spread it equally around the pan), put on the heated lid. This way the omelette is more equally heated. After pouring in the mixture, put the fire low and let it clot (can you use that word in cooking? :)) for 10-15 minutes. This is also the moment were you could start with the rice and beans, or prepare a salad, or do other important stuff.

A picture of everything:

08ug6.jpg

And finished:
09ap0.jpg

Bonus picture of company:

10nh0.jpg

Goes well with HP Sauce, Ketchup, but especially Bulldog Sauce. Unfortunately I was out of Bulldog Sauce so I don’t have a picture of it :(. But you can probably pick it up in a foodstore with Japanese stuff. Bulldog Sauce was meant to accompany Tonkatsu I believe, but it’s very fitting with this. Also, it also turns out very taste when you leave out the bacon and replace it with mushrooms such as champignons. Anyway, I hope some of you will try it out, it is fairly simple to make and damn tasty :). True story: developed by my dad when he lived as a student in a squatted building in Amsterdam in the 60’s. Somehow an Japanese exchange student ended up there too and started adding Soy Sauce to about everything they cooked. And this recipe was born :).

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Hitokage said:
Ok, that looks like it has too much water. Maybe you like it that way, and that's fine, but 1/4 cup cooking water should be used rather than a full cup, and that's if you're cooking sauce for a pound of pasta.
You are right with the cup thing, but I do not have the correct translation for "Schöpflöffel" (the white thingie) which holds about roughly 75-100ml of water.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
OnkelC said:
You are right with the cup thing, but I do not have the correct translation for "Schöpflöffel" (the white thingie) which holds about roughly 75-100ml of water.
Google "75ml in cups" ;)

1/4 cup is ~60ml though.

Manaka

The next time I cook traditional Austrian stuff ,like the good old Kaiserschmarrn/Apfelschmarrn or various types of dumplings, I'll make sure to add it to this awesome topic
Yesterday I cooked "Kaspressknödel" ( briefly-fried,"pressed" dumplings with cheese in a nice Bouillon) but I was too stupid to take photos...:/

@Rei_Toei:
Nice! I'll try it out this week - simple and good is the way to go :lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Hitokage said:
Google "75ml in cups" ;)

1/4 cup is ~60ml though.

75 ml = 0.317006461 US cups

so, sorry for the excess 15ml of noodle water, I hope you enjoyed the pictures nonetheless.:lol
It was tasty, even when "watered down" according to certain food physicians.

@Rei_Toei:
The food, the pictures of the preparation and the bonus pic deserve my respect and show that you are a great follower of the true spirit of this humble thread.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Manaka: Cool! I hope my notes are precise enough. Let me know if you liked it when you come to making it!

OnkelC: Thanks dude, I'll have her come over again for my next contribution =). I also tried to make photos of my eyes after attacking the onion but they didn't work out too good - I look like a blurry crack addict :/.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
OnkelC said:
75 ml = 0.317006461 US cups

so, sorry for the excess 15ml of noodle water, I hope you enjoyed the pictures nonetheless.:lol
It was tasty, even when "watered down" according to certain food physicians.
Haha, my earlier comment was on the impression you were using a full cup and the pictures did little to refute that. ;)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Hitokage said:
Haha, my earlier comment was on the impression you were using a full cup and the pictures did little to refute that. ;)

No hard feelings, OK?
You seem to be adept of the fine art of cooking yourself, so can you tell me the correct translation of the big white spoon?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Käsespätzle and the "roadkill" stuff are making me a little nauseous. Schnitzel is good stuff, though, despite the canned veggies.

German food may not be entirely to my liking, but I heartily endorse keeping this thread going, Onkel!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
OnkelC said:
No hard feelings, OK?
You seem to be adept of the fine art of cooking yourself, so can you tell me the correct translation of the big white spoon?
"Handheld blender" works. I know a bit about pasta preparation(far more with cream sauces than tomato/oil based), but zero to nothing about german cooking.

Zaptruder

Banned
OnkelC said:
No hard feelings, OK?

It's called a ladle.

Basically the primary serving utensil for liquids...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom