• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Home-style cooking with OnkelC, Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaptruder

Banned
OnkelC said:
Small update:

Todays Dish will be the asked-for "Zürcher Geschnetzeltes with Rösti"
(rough translation: Meat stew Zurich style served on a swiss variant of hashed browns)
I am not sure wether to use Turkey, veal or pork.
place your bets.

Veal

8bit

Knows the Score
OnkelC said:
It can, but it should not be heated again. BTW, time between mixing pasta with sauce and first bite (excluding time for photos): ~60 seconds.
Just look at the pics, ze noodles are not dried up.

Refridgerated fresh pasta? It's positively not on sale over here, seriously. But that sounds like a nice alternative to dried noodles. Could you post some brands or pics for the Non-EuroGaffers plz?:)

"Fresh Pasta" is sold as a artisanal product at markets or specialty grocers. The supermarkets sell packed "fresh" stuff sometimes, but the quality of that supermarket stuff connot rival a good brand dried noodles in terms of sheer taste and texture IMHO.

I think he means stuff like Buitoni's "fresh" Tagliatelli, or the Hilcona stuff from the fridge.

BTW, are you making the Roesti from scratch?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
8bit said:
I think he means stuff like Buitoni's "fresh" Tagliatelli, or the Hilcona stuff from the fridge.

Thanks for the clarification. I got him wrong, then.
If that was the case, I would like to apologize to you, Hitokage, for my misunderstanding of the language (refrigerated=deep frozen?). I have tried out some of these refrigerated(?) pasta and did not really like them, beacuse they come out too soft for my personal taste.

BTW, are you making the Roesti from scratch?

YES

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Trooper, that's a lot of work. I've worked in a Swiss hotel in holiday season several summers, preparing hundreds of those bloody "kartoffels" for Rosti is a b*tch. Of course this is on a smaller scale... Usually I'm lazy and buy the pre-made stuff, inferior in taste but still pretty good.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Rei_Toei said:
Trooper, that's a lot of work. I've worked in a Swiss hotel in holiday season several summers, preparing hundreds of those bloody "kartoffels" for Rosti is a b*tch. Of course this is on a smaller scale... Usually I'm lazy and buy the pre-made stuff, inferior in taste but still pretty good.

I know and understand your fears, fellow cook, but for viewing pleasure of the NeoGAF no effort is too big in this little kitchen.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
So I was coming home late from work last night feeling knackered as and I thought "I'll just grab some instant food" but then I thought of this thread and decided that while what I was going to have was going to be instant-ish, but still presentable and tasty, so I headed to albert heijn and picked up

- a nice looking biefstuk which is a fairly indescript label as far as I can tell, dutch people don't seem to label steak at "porterhouse" "rump" etc really (Rei_toei?) but a nice looking biefstuk is always delicious

- Gekruid Tomaat-paprika aardappel schifjes (sp?) - pre sliced potatoes with a really tasty tomato and paprika sauce that are delicious when fried.

- ready made salad for 1

so, I hearby present to the simple men of gaf with a low cooking talent my dinner for last evening

Image000.jpg

The only actual cooking tip I can give is when steak is concerned. Medium rare to rare is best!! also, cook it 1 time each side on not such a high heat, if it's to high, you burn the outside but none of the heat really makes it to the middle.

Thanks for the inspiration to not eat some febo death dudes! Still pretty instant, but a step in the right direction. I will be cooking actual shit before I know it.

-My girlfriend actually got me as part of my christmas a hand written cook book with some recipes she knows. Now that I'm feeling it a little, in the next few days I might prepare for the gaf some

Lemon chicken on rice.

Eet smakelijk!

Zensetsu

I did some improvised cooking tonight.

Panfried lamb chops in butter with rosemary, mint, spainish onion and a little wine. Some mashed potatoes as a side dish. :D Not too shabby, pity I don't have a digital camera.

Keep up the good work OnkelC, i'm interested to see how the next one will turn out.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
catfish said:
- a nice looking biefstuk which is a fairly indescript label as far as I can tell, dutch people don't seem to label steak at "porterhouse" "rump" etc really (Rei_toei?) but a nice looking biefstuk is always delicious!

Actually there is:

rump = "Stuitbeen" or "Staartbeen" (according to the dictionary)
"porterhouse" = biefstuk van de haas

Then there's of course Tournedos, Filet Mignon but those are more universal terms I guess. Anyway, for everything a website: http://www.biefstuk.nl/ :D

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Rei_Toei said:
Then there's of course Tournedos, Filet Mignon but those are more universal terms I guess. Anyway, for everything a website: http://www.biefstuk.nl/ :D

YES!

Dank u wel.

hmmmm
meat guy said:
Beste Biefstukgenieter,

Je vraag:
Ik vroeg me af wat het verschil was tussen een biefstuk en een steak. Of is het gewoon hetzelfde stuk vlees met een andere benaming? Komt Sirloin steak een beetje in de buurt?

Het antwoord:
Een steak is afkomstig van de dunne lende van het rund. Een biefstuk is afkomstig van andere vleesdelen zoals de bovenbil en spierstuk.

Het is dus niet hetzelfde vlees met een andere naam

De Sirloin steak snij je van de dunne lende (entrecote).

tot biefstuk,
Klaas Dijkstra

bolded I can't figure out where it comes from

Steak comes from the .....
Biefstuk comes from another part such as the..... bovenbil possibly "topside" steak?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
@catfish and Zensetsu:
:lol
I like your styles! Two thumbs up from me. You got your bases covered.

So, the ingredients for tonight are:
smallCIMG0258.jpg

potatoes
mushrooms
white wine
turkey breast
creme fraiche
one or two small onions (not pictured)
a bit of starch
Cooking will start in about 30 minutes, pictures are coming up around 8-8.30pm Berlin time.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Is that single cream in the creamy mushroom pasta thing? It looks like it is, but I just want to check.

I don't know if you'll know what single cream is, we have single and double in the UK. Single is thinner and double is thicker. I think the latter is called whipping cream in some countries.

Good stuff anyway. I have quite a lot of recipes I'm pretty happy with which I might contribute sometime, I do a good malaysian curry.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
8bit said:
Interesting, I thought it was always Veal used in Zürcher Geschnetzeltes.
You are right, but the butcher of choice had no decent piece to share, so better a nice piece of turkey than a lousy piece of baby cow.:lol
The turkey is a decent substitute because of the low fat and rather neutral taste.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Mama Smurf said:
Is that single cream in the creamy mushroom pasta thing? It looks like it is, but I just want to check.

I don't know if you'll know what single cream is, we have single and double in the UK. Single is thinner and double is thicker. I think the latter is called whipping cream in some countries.

Good stuff anyway. I have quite a lot of recipes I'm pretty happy with which I might contribute sometime, I do a good malaysian curry.

It is whipping cream (30% of fat in dry matter).

I would like to see a decent curry dish, so feel free to post and welcome to the thread.

Mama Smurf

Oh really? I'm glad I checked then.

I'm actually vegetarian so might screw things up a bit with whatever recipes I post, but often there are just one or two ingredients that need to be directly substituted so it shouldn't be a problem.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
dunne lende van het rund. Een biefstuk is afkomstig van andere vleesdelen zoals de bovenbil en spierstuk.

Lende = Loin (Steak)
Bovenbil = Upper part of the bottom (Biefstuk)
Spierstuk = "Piece of Muscle" <- Bit vague, but that's the literal translation.

You can serve me one when I end up in A'dam next time :D.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Gruezi NeoGAF,
let's cook.
There is a long lasting controversy about the correct preparation of the genuine "Rösti" among the Swiss people. Some prefer to use cooked potatoes, some use raw ones, some add onions, some don't, some add bacon and so on. I would say that "THE" Rösti doesn't exist. The lowest denominator ist the fact that Rösti consists of raffled potatoes and is pan-fried. Maybe the Swiss NeoGAFfers can share some insight on that matter.

I chose the variant of raw potatoes and salt, which can be made quick and without much hassle. The following cooking occurred in real time, as the Rösti were done when the Geschnetzeltes was.
Apart from the usual utensils, you will need the following:
smallCIMG0262.jpg

Two large pans. Useless trivia: the oldish pan is nearly 60 years old, I inherited it from my grandmother. A sister of this pan is shown at the "Foundation Haus der Geschichte" as one of the first industrially produced goods in post-WWII Germany. It is aged to perfection, I use it mainly for slow-frying stuff.

A raffle for the potatoes:
smallCIMG0263.jpg

a potato peeler:
smallCIMG0264.jpg

and todays newspaper:
smallCIMG0265.jpg

First, peel the potatoes on the newspaper (makes disposal of the peels really easy:lol ):
smallCIMG0266.jpg

next, raffle them as big as possible:
smallCIMG0267.jpg

Watch out for your fingertips and/or knuckles, or something like this can happen:
smallCIMG0268.jpg

The raffled potatoes can be put in the pan as a whole, big Rösti, but it is a bitch to turn over. To make this easier, split the mass in four parts:
smallCIMG0270.jpg

Next, put the first pan on the stove and give it max heat. To check out if the pan is heated right, use your fingers to spritz some water in the pan; if the water drops start boiling immediately, the temperature is right. Add some oil and a little piece of butter (it helps the browning of the Rösti) and carefully place the four segments in the pan:
smallCIMG0273.jpg

Do not press them into shape yet, just let them fry. You should now add a decent amount of salt to the rösti, potatoes kann stick away a huge amount of it. I used two spoons like this per rösti and per side:
smallCIMG0272.jpg

On to the "Zürcher Geschnetzeltes". As 8bit stated correctly, Veal is the meat of choice. Due to circumstances beyond my powers, I had to substitute the veal with turkey breast.

Cut the meat in stripes:
smallCIMG0274.jpg

and dice one small onion in small cubes (no vanity shot today):
smallCIMG0275.jpg

When done with this, it is time to return to the Rösti. To check if the underside is ready, just wiggle the pan: if the rösti will move, it is time to turn them over, if not, try it again in a minute.
smallCIMG0276.jpg

looking good. If the pan ran dry on oil, add some more from the sides of the pan. Now turn down the heat on this flame to a low setting like this:
smallCIMG0277.jpg

The heat of the flame will be enough for the turned Rösti to get well done when the geschnetzeltes is ready. Light another flame for the meat pan, wait till it's hot and fry the meat in two parts. This is done to keep the pan on a constant level of heat and therefore closing the pores of the meat, containing its juicyness. it also helps frying the meat in a shorter amount of total time.
When the first half of the meat (with added salt and pepper) is browned a little bit, put it out of the pan and into a bowl and keep it warm:
smallCIMG0281.jpg

While the meat is frying, clean and slice the mushrooms as explained yesterday.
When the second half of the meat is done, also put it in the bowl.

Next, put the diced onions in the pan, stir them around for a couple seconds and add the sliced mushrooms:
smallCIMG0282.jpg

Stir-fry it for a minute, then add the (dry) white wine:
smallCIMG0283.jpg

This amount should do:
smallCIMG0285.jpg

The wine will immediately unlock the roast substances produced by the meat, resulting in the following color:
smallCIMG0284.jpg

next, add the creme fraiche and turn down the heat to about half:
smallCIMG0287.jpg

add the meat (including the juices that collected inthe bowl):
smallCIMG0289.jpg

Finish line: get a small glass and put about 2 tablespoons of starch in it, then mix it with some white wine:
smallCIMG0290.jpg

smallCIMG0291.jpg

then apply SOME of the mix to the Geschnetzeltes, stir it in, let it cook once and repeat until the desired consistency of the sauce is achieved.

DONE!
put a Rösti on a plate, put some of the Geschnetzeltes on top and enjoy:
smallCIMG0292.jpg

And this is how a Rösti should look like in detail. Brown and crispy-crunchy on the outside and juicy tenderness on the inside:
smallCIMG0294.jpg

Guten Appetit from Bonn.

Please give your feedback and questions as usual. I'll promise to google the relevant terms before posting this time!

If there is interest, I will make a post about choice and maintenance of cooking utensils in the near future.

yilmazz

Apfelpfannkuchen.. lecker! :)
Some suggestions for later: Kartoffelauflauf (or any other Auflauf), Hühnerfrikassee or Heidelbeerknödel would be great - or maybe just a simple currywurst for a lazy day.

Oh, and thanks for your recipes so far, I don't reply often but I'm saving every recipe in my kochbuch.doc - so keep on posting. :D
Maybe I can provide a Turkish dish when I finally moved into my new apartment. There are many easy and very tasty recipes like imam bayildi, menemen or the well known lahmacun.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
yilmazz said:
Apfelpfannkuchen.. lecker! :)
Some suggestions for later: Kartoffelauflauf (or any other Auflauf), Hühnerfrikassee or Heidelbeerknödel would be great - or maybe just a simple currywurst for a lazy day.

Oh, and thanks for your recipes so far, I don't reply often but I'm saving every recipe in my kochbuch.doc - so keep on posting. :D
Maybe I can provide a Turkish dish when I finally moved into my new apartment. There are many easy and very tasty recipes like imam bayildi, menemen or the well known lahmacun.
Some turkish additions would be nice, very interesting styles of cooking over there!
Auflauf may happen the next week, if the love for this thread will rise again.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
@ catfish: Sausage Fest may happen on saturday, stay tuned!

As I am bored stiff at the moment, I would like to share some wisdom of cooking.

Rhubarb mash tastes even better when using strawberries instead of rhubarb for the preparation.

Dirty Dishes will not mould if stored in the deep freezer.

Bread will not dry out when stored in a bucket of water.

Spinach tastes a lot better when substituted by a schnitzel before cooking.

Red wine marks on rugs and clothing can be covered up with fresh tar.

Buy onions instead of kiwis. Onions are cheaper and can be stored longer.

A fridge will use much less energy when you unplug it.

Greasy spots last longer when they are periodically rubbed with some butter.

Sugar is the stuff that makes coffee taste worse when forgotten to add.

Aluminium foil won’t tear that fast when glued to a wooden plank before usage.

Beer can be poured more easily if a little piece of soap is added to the empty glass.

Celebrate the annual return of your birthday by baking a cake and inviting friends and family over for a little party.

DISCUSS

Murasame

Rösti and Geschnetzeltes both taste incredible. I especially like the (somewhat surprisingly) awesome combination of Rösti with some apple sauce on top that vendors serve.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, the dish for tonight will be "Apfelpfannkuchen" (Apple Pancakes), a childhood favorite and my personal weapon of choice when it comes to heartbreaking. Be prepared.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
These are the ingredients for tonights dish:
smallCIMG0305.jpg

Wheat flour
Apples (I bought a selection of Braeburn, Boskoop, Granny Smith and Elstar)
Four eggs
Milk
A big glass of sparkling water
Cinnamon
some sugar and salt

Cooking will start in about 90 minutes, pictures will be up around 9.30pm Berlin time.

If it works out, I'll try to post a small live-action video of me doing the one-handed pan flip of the pancake! If not, I'll post a vid of my miserable failure. STAY TUNED!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
AlanHemberger said:
I can't believe I missed this thread. So awesome. Thanks OnkelC!
Thanks. Since there is neither boobs, nor hentai, nor Gayming-Age involved, it is kinda "special thread" in the GAF world. But the folk in here shares the joy of cooking, which is the universal language in some way.

Edit:
Go out and spread the word of this humble thread on NeoGAF! That goes for all the silent readers. And please post your opinions on the foods displayed here.:lol

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
I promise I will contribute as soon as possible OnkelC, but you have unfortunately started this thread during restaurant week(s) up here in Boston. For the next two weeks my girlfriend and I are going out virtually every night, so no cooking for a while for us. When we get back, however, we'll make some of her old family recipes that are quite tasty.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
OnkelC said:
Thanks for the clarification. I got him wrong, then.
If that was the case, I would like to apologize to you, Hitokage, for my misunderstanding of the language (refrigerated=deep frozen?). I have tried out some of these refrigerated(?) pasta and did not really like them, beacuse they come out too soft for my personal taste.
Haha, I hope I didn't come off as too antagonistic. I'm just interested in the why and how of cooking, especially the why.

Refrigerated means cooled to around 4 degrees C as opposed to frozen which is obviously less. Sure, refridgerated pasta isn't as good, but it works... although just like how most premade store-bought stuff "works".

Crystalkoen

OnkelC said:
And please post your opinions on the foods displayed here.

Yum.

Seriously, I'm liking this thread, already copied out a few of your recipes, will likely continue to do so. While I don't have any original recipes, or anything of the sort (Hell, I don't even really cook much beyond Hamburger/Tuna Helper or spaghetti, although I can), I thoroughly enjoy adding to my repertoire of recipes.

In closing, thanks for an awesome thread, OnkelC. Please don't let it die anytime soon.

yilmazz

Boskoop apples are comming from the Netherlands and they are quite sour. I really like them, their taste is quite refreshing.

Here two Boskoop pictures from wiki:

Red
roterboskoop1bf5.jpg

Green
688pxmalusboskooporganic1xy4.jpg

Mama Smurf

OnkelC said:
And please post your opinions on the foods displayed here.

"Dammit, how am I going to make that without mushrooms?"

"Dammit, I can't think of a vegetarian substitute for veal!"

But "dammit"s are actually good, because I do want to make a lot of these and can't. Looking forward to the pancakes.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, let's cook.
The "Apfelpfannkuchen" or "Eierkuchen" is another German classic. Every kid has eaten them and the taste will never be forgotten. Unfortunately, the pancake recipe is considered
a "basic" recipe and therefore seldom used or practised by "mature" cooks, so it is kinda hard to come by in restaurants. The dish itself is considered as not glitzy or stylish.
I referred to apple pancakes as my personal heartbreaker, because every later relationship I had got "intimate" the evening I cooked them. two girlfriends I had said that they fell in love with ze Onkel when I prepared them. Believe it or not, but the key to the heart of the most interesting women is to be found in the kitchen.:lol

Apart from the usual utensils, you will need the following:
smallCIMG0307.jpg

A hairnet sieve or
smallCIMG0308.jpg

A special flour sieve to remove lumps in the flour.

Since pancakes bear "cakes" in them, it hints at the baking origin and the procedure to make them. Baking is, in contrary to cooking, a little anal about the weights and measurements of the ingredients. They are as follows:
smallCIMG0311.jpg

250 grams of wheat flour (I used a brand with wheat germs in it, so don't be irritated by the small brown pieces in the dough;)),

smallCIMG0313.jpg

250ml of fresh milk,

smallCIMG0315.jpg

four fresh whole eggs,

smallCIMG0334.jpg

one or two apples with the core removed and cut in medium to thin slices,

smallCIMG0336.jpg

a little bit short of 150ml sparkling mineral water,

smallCIMG0341.jpg

margarine for the frying,

a decent amount of sugar and a little spoon of salt.

First, put the eggs in a mixing bowl and add the milk:
smallCIMG0317.jpg

Next, add some sugar and a hint of salt to the mix:
smallCIMG0320.jpg

smallCIMG0321.jpg

Then whisk the stuff real good (you can use a spoon, too; speed and determination is the key):
smallCIMG0322.jpg

Now, put the flour in a sieve and shake it into the mix. Whisk hard and fast:
smallCIMG0326.jpg

The dough should have a homogenous yet tough texture by now, like this:
smallCIMG0328.jpg

Let it rest for a few minutes when done.

Next, cut the apples. Easiest is to cut them in halves, then quarters, then remove the core and finally slice them. This is the amount for two or three pancakes:
smallCIMG0334-1.jpg

When finished with cutting the apples, add the mineral water to the dough and whisk again for a few seconds. By doing so, the dough will get a little bit of a rise and will be very tender. It shall look like this:
smallCIMG0339.jpg

Next, put a pan on the stove and heat it up about a quarter ot max setting. I explained the spritz test in yesterdays dish, here is a photo of how it looks:
smallCIMG0340.jpg

Add some margarine and some of the apple slices, let them fry for a few moments until they start to caramelize a bit and soften up. Turn them over when they look like this:
smallCIMG0343.jpg

Put a LADLE:D of the dough in the pan and twist the pan a little bit so all the apples are covered in dough:
smallCIMG0344.jpg

smallCIMG0345.jpg

When the pancake is dried on the top, get a big pot lid or a plate, slide the pankace on it and put it back in the pan while turning over (I did not take a picture of this because I needed both hands):
smallCIMG0347.jpg

smallCIMG0348.jpg

smallCIMG0350.jpg

The pancake should bake for another one to two minutes.

For the little Daredevils beyond the NeoGAF, you can administer the "Salto Mortale" for flipping the pancake. Behold, as this forbidden technique is to be mastered only by the mos cunning of the cooks and after long years of training. I was able to persuade my wife to make a short video of the process, which will be found at the end of this post.

Finish line:
get a small glass and mix some sugar and cinnamon:
smallCIMG0351.jpg

Done!!

Serve the pancake directly from the pan onto the plate of the desired one, add some of the sugar/cinnamon mix et voila:
smallCIMG0353.jpg

The wife liked it like it was the first time.

The pancake dough can also be baked without the apples, with some pan-roasted bacon, several cheeses and so on. My grandmother made a "pan-pizza charlotte" as she called it, with grated gouda cheese, sausage, fresh tomatoes and parsley.
for tonight, i chose a plain one with some cream cheese and the ole buddy Heinz:
smallCIMG0355.jpg

You can also bake them in advance and eat them cold the next morning with some marmalade or cheese.

I hope you like it, feedback (especially from the silent readers) is appreciated.

BONUS:

Onkel C doing the "Salto Mortale" (please excuse the poor picture and sound quality and the horrible acting):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-kyu_9Yl0c

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Mama Smurf said:
"Dammit, how am I going to make that without mushrooms?"

"Dammit, I can't think of a vegetarian substitute for veal!"

But "dammit"s are actually good, because I do want to make a lot of these and can't. Looking forward to the pancakes.
Mushrooms are a must, but you can easily substitut the meat with the same amount of mushrooms and some grained vegetable soup extract.

Ogni-XR21

Nice video and excellent cooking!

A traditional swabian soup is the 'Flädlessuppe', where you roll up the pancakes and cut them in slices and add the slices to a soup/stock/broth.

Mama Smurf

I just don't like mushrooms I'm afraid, though thanks for the advice.

For a second there I thought you'd put ketchup on an apple pancake! That would have been gross.

I might try the rosti tomorrow, I'll find something to put it with I'm sure. Could just have it as a snack with some garlic yoghurt or something.

yilmazz

The pancakes were great until I saw the last picture.. ketchup auf pfannkuchen? Nun ja.. dann doch lieber Erbsen&Möhren in heller Soße. :D

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
yilmazz said:
The pancakes were great until I saw the last picture.. ketchup auf pfannkuchen? Nun ja.. dann doch lieber Erbsen&Möhren in heller Soße. :D
Das passt schon. Einfach mal ausprobieren, Herr Yilmazz!:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom