• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Home-style cooking with OnkelC, Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Mama Smurf said:
I just don't like mushrooms I'm afraid, though thanks for the advice.

For a second there I thought you'd put ketchup on an apple pancake! That would have been gross.

I might try the rosti tomorrow, I'll find something to put it with I'm sure. Could just have it as a snack with some garlic yoghurt or something.

Come to think of it, you can try to fry some slices of aubergine/egg-plant to substitute mushrooms and meat. If you are ovo-lacto, you can put some grated cheese on to of the rösti for taste. Something like greek zaziki will work out, too.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
You're going to think I'm really picky now, but I don't like aubergine either. You could seriously name any other vegetable but those two and I'd be fine, I think this recipe and me are just not meant to be.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Mama Smurf said:
You're going to think I'm really picky now, but I don't like aubergine either. You could seriously name any other vegetable but those two and I'd be fine, I think this recipe and me are just not meant to be.
...Zucchini maybe? sliced and roasted without oil?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Nerevar said:
I promise I will contribute as soon as possible OnkelC, but you have unfortunately started this thread during restaurant week(s) up here in Boston. For the next two weeks my girlfriend and I are going out virtually every night, so no cooking for a while for us. When we get back, however, we'll make some of her old family recipes that are quite tasty.
You are one lucky devil. Come back unharmed and submit some recipes!

Haha, great video OnkelC. :D

I think I will try the apple pancakes; I've always liked pancakes but have never even had the idea to use apples with them. Can't wait. :)

And keep up this great thread, I'm might be a silent reader but I really enjoy reading these recipes. :) I'm gonna try to encourage my mom to cook one of your recipes.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Using sparking water as a replacement for baking soda is interesting. Just to clarify, are these pancakes meant to be on the thick/fluffy side or more like crepes?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Hitokage said:
Using sparking water as a replacement for baking soda is interesting. Just to clarify, are these pancakes meant to be thick or more like crepes?

That depends on the amount of sparkling water you add, actually. The typical pancake dough sould be rather compact, but must stay on the liquid side. The pancake should turn out rather fluffy.

The dough itself is versatile. Add more of the sparkling water so the dough will get more liquid and can be used for crepes. I would use neutral oil (like sunflower or rapps) for the preparation in that case.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'm more interested in the crepe side of things, since I already have an excellent recipe for fluffy pancakes. :D

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Hitokage said:
I'm more interested in the crepe side of things, since I already have an excellent recipe for fluffy pancakes. :D
which style do you prefer? classical with some Grand Garnier?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I call it a day, good night cooks and readers, keep posting and take a wild guess what tomorrows dish will be!

OnkelC, has anyone told you that you are awesome, lately? If not, let me please tell you, you are awesome. :D

I admire your dedication to keep this thread going and educating us in your culinary skills!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
blindrocket said:
OnkelC, has anyone told you that you are awesome, lately? If not, let me please tell you, you are awesome. :D

I admire your dedication to keep this thread going and educating us in your culinary skills!
:lol
thanks.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
sportzhead said:
Its got to be bratwurst. :D
WrongAnswer.jpg
Suzy-Wrong-Flyer.jpg

NEXT!
Edit: Sausage fest may happen on saturday, depending on the friendly butcher guy.:)

Damn. I thought that was going to be a sure fire yes. Well my final guess is it will be something us Americans can't pronounce correctly, and feature at least one weird ingredient. But it will look damn good and probably taste even better.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
sportzhead said:
Damn. I thought that was going to be a sure fire yes. Well my final guess is it will be something us Americans can't pronounce correctly, and feature at least one weird ingredient. But it will look damn good and probably taste even better.
Ok, I don't want to be unfair.:)
Todays' dish will be a creation of my wife and myself, with people asking for it all the time when they visit us.
It will feature the following ingredients among others (pics courtesy of the internets):

pork-tenderloin.jpg

roast pork fillet/tenderloin

Funghi%20Champignon%20Tagliati%20Lavati.jpg

white mushrooms

kroketten.jpg

croquettes

sportzhead said:

OnkelC said:
kroketten.jpg

croquettes
BAM!!!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
sportzhead said:
Serious question: Are (deep frozen) croquettes hard to come by in the US? They're quite common over here.
For this dish they can be easily replaced with hashed browns, french fries (yes, fries) or noodles, though.

I don't know if they're hard to find at a grocery store here in the states, but I have never seen them in one. I'm also not looking for them though. This is the first time I've actually seen what they look like outside of the Food Network. I think most Americans have heard of croquettes, but are not exactly sure what they are or how they taste.

Also found this on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croquette
The cheapest croquettes are made from horsemeat; a little better are pork croquettes; and the best are those made with beef. Often different meats are mixed; the quality of the croquette is then expressed in the percentage of a certain kind of meat it contains.

I know that would definitely not fly with the American public.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
sportzhead said:
I don't know if they're hard to find at a grocery store here in the states, but I have never seen them in one. I'm also not looking for them though. This is the first time I've actually seen what they look like outside of the Food Network. I think most Americans have heard of croquettes, but are not exactly sure what they are or how they taste.

Also found this on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croquette

I know that would definitely not fly with the American public.
Oh Shi... Complete lack of knowledge on my part about that definition, sorry for that.
Advice from Onkel:
Forget about those croquettes STAT:lol .

Thats not the croquettes I meant. "Croquettes" or "Kroketten" as in german language are thumb-sized rolls of mashed potatoes rolled in breadcrumbs and then deep-fried or oven-baked. They are used exclusively as a side dish.
Absolutely no meat involved here.

The closest Euro thing to the wiki entry are dutch "Vleeskroketten" (=beef croquets) which are a stand-alone snack- or fast food. They are made of ground beef, bouillon, flour and som spices, then rolled in breadcrumbs and fried. Can't find an english language link to them.

I think I will go with some hashed browns as the side dish for tonight. Being a lazy ass today, I'll use deep frozen ones.

Edit:
Have other readers/posters encountered problems of obtaining some of the ingredients I mentioned in the recipes? If so, please tell them and tell your part of the world, we'll try to name some substitutes.

yilmazz

OnkelC said:
Would be right if I was catholic. Which I am not.:D
Other guesses?

Damnit and I thought it'd be a safe guess since I saw that funeral lawyer thing on youtube yesterday. :lol

Anyway, I'm looking forward to todays dish. :)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
yilmazz said:
Damnit and I thought it'd be a safe guess since I saw that funeral lawyer thing on youtube yesterday. :lol

Anyway, I'm looking forward to todays dish. :)
Lawyers are worshippers of satan by nature!:D
Do not get this wrong, but: you cool with pork meat?

yilmazz

yeah, I'm not religious since I have pretty liberal parents who wanted to leave the choice of religion to me. I think this was one of the main reasons why they moved to Germany in the first place.

So throw all the pork at me you can. :)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
yilmazz said:
yeah, I'm not religious since I have pretty liberal parents who wanted to leave the choice of religion to me. I think this was one of the main reasons why they moved to Germany in the first place.

So throw all the pork at me you can. :)
:lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Ogni-XR21 said:
I wanted to do 'Lendchen' on Sunday and post the recipe... hmmm, maybe next week I have more luck.
Go ahead! The more recipes, the better! I am looking forward to them.

It's funny to see the cultural differences between Europe and US concerning food.
Kroketten made of horsemeat? Not in my country? :D

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Spanish croquetas=the shit.

Spanish Eintopf meat (or fish used to make a fish soup)+boiled eggs+béchamel+bread crumbs for the frying. The awesome.

It is said that girls who know how to make good croquettes are keepers =P

I am curious about horsie ones BTW, maybe I should do a trip to the butchery, I only eat my horses in steaks. Although...this weekend I'll be alone, snails recipe anyone? At least if they look like shit you won't be able to blame my skills :lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Souldriver said:
It's funny to see the cultural differences between Europe and US concerning food.
Kroketten made of horsemeat? Not in my country? :D
I never heard of that before, too.

Actually, it has become quite hard to buy horsemeat nowadays, so croquettes made from horse meat might have been declared a delicacy...
Horse meat is used for only two dishes that I know of, and even in them they can be easily substituted. The hassle of acquiring it does by no means justify the differences in taste IMHO.

sportzhead cited the wiki entry correct, so the wiki is to blame.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Funky Papa said:
Spanish croquetas=the shit.

Spanish Eintopf meat (or fish used to make a fish soup)+boiled eggs+béchamel+bread crumbs for the frying. The awesome.

It is said that girls who know how to make good croquettes are keepers =P

I am curious about horsie ones BTW, maybe I should do a trip to the butchery, I only eat my horses in steaks. Although...this weekend I'll be alone, snails recipe anyone? At least if they look like shit you won't be able to blame my skills :lol
Sounds awesome. Let it rip!:lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
The dish for tonight is:
smallCIMG0356.jpg

DUN DUN DUUUUN!

spanish_inquisition4.jpg

Gotcha for a moment, ha?:lol

The dish of tonight will actually be the here-famous "Schwein mit Estragon" (Pork fillet with tarragon), a joint venture of my wife and me.

It is kind of ragout of pork in a light white wine sauce with mushrooms, similar to the "Zürcher Geschnetzeltes", but with a twist. This dish can be prepared for every number of guests to think of with the same ease, and since the 3 years we cook this stuff, everyone was thrilled by this dish.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
The ingredients for tonights' dish (for 2 persons) are:
smallCIMG0358.jpg

Mushrooms
Dried "Estragon" (taragon?)
Two packs of pre-made sauce hollandaise (can be substituted with creme fraiche for similar taste)
About half a bottle of dry white wine
one fillet of pork
one small bag of deep frozen potato balls (similar to the stuff that Napoleon dynamite put in his pockets at school, could anyone translate please? I recall something like "tots" or "tarts")
Cooking will start immediately, recipe will be up around the usual time. Stay tuned!

Zensetsu

I made Rösti tonight, and had them as a side with some pork\herb organic sausages. Pretty simple to make but an interesting twist on the whole potato side dish idea. Cheers.

By the way, as a branching area of "cooking", does anyone in the thread have an interest in brewing their own alcohol? I've been getting into it recently, its quite interesting.
I've made some Sima, which is a quick fermenting finnish drink made from lemons, I also experimented with a lychee juice one of my own invention which my housemates really liked. :lol

Going to try making some simple cider tomorrow. I can post some recipies and links of anyone is interested.

sportzhead said:

OnkelC said:
The dish of tonight will actually be the here-famous "Schwein mit Estragon" (Pork fillet with tarragon), a joint venture of my wife and me.

Double BAM!!! I win OnkelC. :D

Also,
OnkelC said:
The dish for tonight is:
smallCIMG0356.jpg

DUN DUN DUUUUN!

I believe we call that dish here in the states, macaroni & cheese. And it looks more like this.
p23-092-2003.jpg

See the absence of the Statue of Liberty. :)

By the way, I can make a mean macaroni & cheese dish. It cost about $15 to make and features three kinds of cheeses, bacon, cream, garlic, and breadcrumbs. I usually only make it at Thanksgiving and Christmas time.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Zensetsu said:
I made Rösti tonight, and had them as a side with some pork\herb organic sausages. Pretty simple to make but an interesting twist on the whole potato side dish idea. Cheers.

By the way, as a branching area of "cooking", does anyone in the thread have an interest in brewing their own alcohol? I've been getting into it recently, its quite interesting.
I've made some Sima, which is a quick fermenting finnish drink made from lemons, I also experimented with a lychee juice one of my own invention which my housemates really liked. :lol

Going to try making some simple cider tomorrow. I can post some recipies and links of anyone is interested.

I am very interested, since I never tried out brewing my own stuff. A friend of mine makes his own wine from own grapes. I would appreciate the recipes, especially the finnish one, Sima, and also the cider one. Gib it to me baby!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
sportzhead said:
Double BAM!!! I win OnkelC. :D

Also,

I believe we call that dish here in the states, macaroni & cheese. And it looks more like this.
p23-092-2003.jpg

See the absence of the Statue of Liberty. :)

By the way, I can make a mean macaroni & cheese dish. It cost about $15 to make and features three kinds of cheeses, bacon, cream, garlic, and breadcrumbs. I usually only make it at Thanksgiving and Christmas time.
Since I am an avid admirer of everything noodle, please post at least the recipe. If you could go through the hassle of preparing it and eventually taking some pictures of the process, It would be appreciated.
The macaroni and cheese "dish" was a no-name product from a local discount store. I did not dare to open it yet.:lol

My wife and I actually made croquettes last week with spinach and Parmesan cheese.
They were delicious! But the house smelled like deep-frying for days.

Oh, and re: Macaroni and Cheese-- even though they are boxed, and cost 79 cents, Pasta Roni Shells and White Cheddar are amazingly delicious. I used to eat them like twice a week. Sometimes I added gruyere or something, but they're fantastic all alone. For those nights when you guys (who have access to Pasta Roni, anyway, so probably North Americans) don't feel like photographing yourselves making a big meal.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Guten Abend OnkelC!

Second in my series of "I can't cook and my girlfriends away, must try harder" series is......

BURGERS

When I make my burgers I like to lay out the burger ingredients all in front of me and then deal with the meat. Again apologies for the cellcam. never mind.

Image000-1.jpg

featured is

the chicken fillet (best burger meat!) slightly bigger than diced
Lettuce - or more precisely "Botersla" a slightly leafier lettuce, no idea of the eng name
Beetroot - YEAH BABY Don't hate, not sure if this is common but kiwis love it
Tomatoes ABSENT - no red death on my burgers thanks
Grated Carrot - yum, good for your eyes
Cheese - nice presliced "Goudse Kaas (Jong)" Dutch people are the cheese experts of the universe.
Red onion - mmm red onion just sliced, no cooking for the onion I like the fresh salad taste

Sauces - honey mustard for the salad and tabasco for directly on the meat

Image001.jpg

further prep the buns while the meat is in the pan. Meat just with some pepper while cooking, I don't know why I just like black pepper.

Image002.jpg

in order it goes honey mustard -> lettuce -> red onion -> beetroot -> Carrots -> MEAT -> Cheese -> Bottom of bun. Put those bad ass bits of chicken on the burger.

Image003.jpg

Image004.jpg

Voila! Notice the glass of Lindemans "Bin 50" Shiraz 2005 from the sunny land of Australia (the home of sunshine, nice wine and crap rugby) to accompany this delicious feast.

Eet smakelijk!

OnkelC said:
Since I am an avid admirer of everything noodle, please post at least the recipe. If you could go through the hassle of preparing it and eventually taking some pictures of the process, It would be appreciated.
The macaroni and cheese "dish" was a no-name product from a local discount store. I did not dare to open it yet.:lol

I may actually make it this weekend and post pictures just for you OnkelC. Also, I want to make Katsu Chicken soon. It is a Hawaiian dish that is sooooo good. When I do, I'll post that too.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Hotarubi said:
Where's the burger? I see a chicken sandwich. A fine sandwich nonetheless, but still!

I am a descendant of the person that invented the sandwich. I know the difference between a sandwich and a burger and Americans have perverted the word sandwich. GOOD DAY SIR.

sandwich-1.gif

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
@ catfish: That is some VERY tasty looking piece of deli. Wife just said"We have a beauty!".
I will enter the "BURGER OR NO BURGER" discussion at a later point, photos are uploading.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, let's cook.
The "Schwein mit Estragon" (Roast pork fillet with estragon/taragon, I will refer to this spice as "the herb" to avoid confusion) is an original creation of the wife and me. We came to this dish as a result of a lazy afternoon and experimenting.
The dish itself can be best described as a variant of the "Zürcher Geschnetzeltes" from wednesday, bit with certain adjustments and twists that make it a standalone dish in my eyes. I would consider this dish on the conveniencde side as there are several readymade ingredients used.

As I mentioned before, this dish is very versatile and can be prepared for any amount of guests. I cooked this for the 40 guests at the baptism of our foster child and was asked about 20 times for the recipe. Just multiply the ingredients with the amount of guests. This dish can be easily prepared in advance and then heated again. The taste might improve even more by doing so.

The ingredients for two persons are as follows:
One fillet of pork,
half a bottle of dry white wine (I used the leftover wine from wednesday, a frascati)
two packs of readymade sauce hollandaise, 200 grams each (can be substituted with the same amount of creme fraiche or cream cheese),
100 grams of big white or brown champignons (other mushrooms like shiitake might work, too, but I havent tried out yet)
One bag (250 grams)of "potato croquettes"
Fresh, died or freeze-dried "the herb".

The preparation is as follows:
Since this is a joint venture, my wife is helping me out and peeling the mushrooms:
smallCIMG0359.jpg

Unlike the Zürcher Geschnetzeltes, for this dish the peeling of the mushroooms is the advised choice as you will see later on. The mushrooms should the be cut in very thin slices:
smallCIMG0366.jpg

Heat the oven (needed for the preparation of the "Potato croquettes") to the temperature mentioned on the packing.

The preparation of the fillet is next. Even the best butcher will not remove all of the tendons. I photographed the upper side of the fillet for the ingredients photo, but the underside will look like this:
smallCIMG0360.jpg

first, wash the fillet under cold water and dry it on a paper towel. Then grab a very sharp knife and remove the tendons and the thin layer of white skin on the meat. The removal is easy if you put the tip of the knife between the tendon and the meat itself with the blade pointing slightly upwards. Then use a swift draw of the blade to remove the tendon, the knife should follow the tendon by itself. This takes a little practise but can be learned quite fast.

The result should look like this:
smallCIMG0361.jpg

Next, cut the fillet in thin slices:
smallCIMG0363.jpg

To get a real smooth frying result, the meat should be flattened a bit with the back of the knife:
smallCIMG0364.jpg

The oven should have the right temperature now. Put the "Potato croquettes" in.

Next, put a pan on the stove and heat it to max (spritz check the pan if in doubt). Put a bowl or soup plate next to the pan. Add some neutral oil and the first half of the meat into the pan (as with the Zürcher Geschnetzeltes). Apply salt, pepper and a good helping of "the herb". Turn the meat over only once. A good "turning ponit" is when the upper side of the meat in the pan will start to turn from red to white:
smallCIMG0373.jpg

Since the pan will be really hot, make sure that enough air conditioning is supplied:
smallCIMG0374.jpg

Repeat for the second half of the meat. When the meat is turned over for the last time, reduce the heat of this flame from max to about 2/3. Now add the white wine into the pan:
smallCIMG0375.jpg

Once again, the wine will loosen up the roast particles from meat and "the herb" and giv a great base for the sauce:
smallCIMG0376.jpg

Check: full bottle at wednesday, minus the Zürcher amount, minus todays amount:
smallCIMG0385.jpg

You should keep an eye on the "potato croquettes" in the oven. When they start to get golden brown on the upper side, it is time to shuffle and turn them a little bit:
smallCIMG0386.jpg

GAF, DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME WITH YOU BARE HANDS! Use a fork or a oven glove instead.

Next, add the hollandaise to the pan:
smallCIMG0377.jpg

Stir it in, put the meat and its juices from the bowl back in the pan and let the whole thing reduce for about 5 Minutes. Have a taste and add some more of "the herb", salt and pepper:
smallCIMG0378.jpg

smallCIMG0380.jpg

The sauce should have an intensive taste, as now comes the twist of the dish: fresh mushrooms.

Finish Line:
When the "potato croquettes" are ready, put them on the serving plates.
Next, turn off the stove and add the raw mushrooms (minus a few slices for decoration) into the pan, mix them slowly with the sauce and meat and finally add a liitle "the herb" for the looks:
smallCIMG0388.jpg

smallCIMG0390.jpg

smallCIMG0392.jpg

Put the pan on the dinner table, serve directly out of the pan and finally add some slices of the mushrooms for decoration:
smallCIMG0393.jpg

DONE!

If you want to prepare this dish for more guests, you can pre-cook it without problems. The mushrooms sould be added immediately before serving.

Enjoy, discuss and post your opinions on this!

Guten Appetit from Bonn,

OnkelC and the Wife.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
catfish said:
Guten Abend OnkelC!

Second in my series of "I can't cook and my girlfriends away, must try harder" series is......

BURGERS

When I make my burgers I like to lay out the burger ingredients all in front of me and then deal with the meat. Again apologies for the cellcam. never mind.

*snipped this and the following pictures*
featured is

the chicken fillet (best burger meat!) slightly bigger than diced
Lettuce - or more precisely "Botersla" a slightly leafier lettuce, no idea of the eng name
Beetroot - YEAH BABY Don't hate, not sure if this is common but kiwis love it
Tomatoes ABSENT - no red death on my burgers thanks
Grated Carrot - yum, good for your eyes
Cheese - nice presliced "Goudse Kaas (Jong)" Dutch people are the cheese experts of the universe.
Red onion - mmm red onion just sliced, no cooking for the onion I like the fresh salad taste

Sauces - honey mustard for the salad and tabasco for directly on the meat

further prep the buns while the meat is in the pan. Meat just with some pepper while cooking, I don't know why I just like black pepper.

in order it goes honey mustard -> lettuce -> red onion -> beetroot -> Carrots -> MEAT -> Cheese -> Bottom of bun. Put those bad ass bits of chicken on the burger.

Voila! Notice the glass of Lindemans "Bin 50" Shiraz 2005 from the sunny land of Australia (the home of sunshine, nice wine and crap rugby) to accompany this delicious feast.

Eet smakelijk!

Thank you for the great pics.
That is one fine BURGER. Very creative in the ingredients, excellence in preparation of the worklpace and execution of the assembly, and a very appealing result. I capitalized burger because I would consider this a burger because of the cut and fried meat involved. I would call it "Doppelluxushuhn" (Chicken double deluxe):lol
I like the integration of beetroot, we call it "Rote Bete". Delicious to Bratkartoffeln and as a side dish to fried eggs.

Edit: I'm calling it a day for today. Please keep commenting and submitting, NeoGAF!

Tomorrow will be the day of the big sausage fest. Stay tuned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom