• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| I'll tout it to the papers if I have to

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I could've written that. Provided you'd replace Destiny with Soulplaya.
Honestly, I'm glad to see that people are finally starting to realize just how great of an asset Glen Jacobs is. No, he isn't amazing at everything, but he's arguably the most dependable worker the WWE has had in the last thirty years. He's wrestled more matches than anyone else in the past decade, he's a good worker who's compatible with everyone, he's still over, you can give him any storyline, he doesn't complain, gets along with everyone, works every show with little time off, and he can talk too.

He reminds me of an old factory or coal mine worker. He goes in everyday, does a dirty and tough job, and doesn't complain. No one notices him, his hardwork seldom gets rewarded, but everyone knows the company needs more guys like him.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
D.Bry has been a big guy the past year or so. I really want to have a physique similar to him. Just a big, strong dood.

https://maniacjoe.com/products/danielbryan3_photo.jpg http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/353/d/e/whc_daniel_bryan_by_windows8osx-d4jmgpp.jpg
He is wearing a shirt that is tight on him so he looks bigger as well.
D-Bry has been pretty huge for the last year. He's bulked a little bit more recently, but the manly fucking beard is throwing you off and making you think he's bulked more than he has.
No he's just standing next to normal people. He's next to 6'6, 280 guys so often you forget that next to the average guy, Bryan would seem quite ripped/bulky.
Good points everyone.

Random wrassslin game stream is a go!
http://www.twitch.tv/laserfrog

Re-posting for the new page. We've got jazz, J.R. and trippy overlays!

Honestly, I'm glad to see that people are finally starting to realize just how great of an asset Glen Jacobs is. No, he isn't amazing at everything, but he's arguably the most dependable worker the WWE has had in the last thirty years. He's wrestled more matches than anyone else in the past decade, he's a good worker who's compatible with everyone, he's still over, you can give him any storyline, he doesn't complain, gets along with everyone, works every show with little time off, and he can talk too.

He reminds me of an old factory or coal mine worker. He goes in everyday, does a dirty and tough job, and doesn't complain. No one notices him, his hardwork seldom gets rewarded, but everyone knows the company needs more guys like him.

All valid points. Even with Kane as, well, Kane, most people who are aware of Glenn Jacobs have no qualms with the man.

Kaladin

Reminder, and updated schedule for the WrassleGaf September Best of the Indies Month

September 8th = Evolve 17/CZW Down With the Sickness Doubleheader (live on iPPV)

September 15th = Ring of Honor Death Before Dishonor X (live on iPPV)

September 22/23rd = WrassleGaf watches Chikara King of Trios (mp4 download or DVD)

September 29th = WrassleGaf watches PWG Threemendous III (The 9nth Anniversary Show) (mp4 download or DVD)

and....

October (date to be scheduled) = WrassleGaf watches PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2012 (mp4 download or DVD)

I need help guys. Trying to find the vid for WWE 12 Triple H/Kevin Nash promo where Trips is calling Nash on the phone and Nash is talking to him and suddenly Nash is in the same room. Nash powerbombs him, Trips no-sells it and walks out of the room pissed.

DKehoe

Eh, it kinda comes with the territory - Octagon's become one of the guys you namedrop when you want to seem like you're in the know about lucha libre. And this is coming from a guy that knows nothing about lucha libre outside of what's posted in this thread.

Octagon was in that amazing tag match with El Hijo del Santo against Art Barr and Eddie Guerrero. Everyone needs to check that match out. One of the greatest ever.

I need help guys. Trying to find the vid for WWE 12 Triple H/Kevin Nash promo where Trips is calling Nash on the phone and Nash is talking to him and suddenly Nash is in the same room. Nash powerbombs him, Trips no-sells it and walks out of the room pissed.

I found the thread where it was posted, but apparently the guy's account was terminated because of multiple copyright violations. Sorry mang.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
They aren't physically equal, and to deny that is to deny male privilege and women's need for rights and protection. It also denies the root of the spectacle and entertainment value of seeing a woman beat the shit out of a man. Keep in mind that I'm not denying a woman's ability to be just as good of a wrestler and a draw as a man. They can be far better wrestlers and entertainers when they aren't being held back by dumb oppression.

However, I could see Phoenix or Kharma doing intergender matches and being believable. The problem is that few of the men would take that credibility hit by losing to them. That's the male oppression that is ignored as a serious problem when you try to see this with an egalitarian viewpoint rather than realistic one.

I see what you are saying. You pretty much can't fight how people will see it - and people will straight up refuse to do it. I think we're a ways away - despite Jericho vs Chyna being as good as a match as she'll ever have, and Chris being happy to job to her. If my memory serves.

Bottom line, it's REALLY uphill if you aren't interested in looking like a barbie doll.

somedevil

What makes you think Impact offered him a contract? They seemed to only pick up a couple of guys from that tournament.

There were rumors from wrestling observer he signed with Impact wrestling a deal that pays him per appearance but he denied it because he was going to the Summerslam tryouts.

Then supposedly he didn't show to the tryouts but it seems instead they used him to shoot 3 weeks amounts of anger management skits.

So I guess he decided this is better opportunity then per appearance pay and he might show up on the show as Kane or Bryan's sponsor.

http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/wwe..._TNA_Star_Attending_WWE_Tryout_Birthdays.html

http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/tna...tatus_TNA_Signing_New_X_Division_Talents.html

tm24

Octagon was in that amazing tag match with El Hijo del Santo against Art Barr and Eddie Guerrero. Everyone needs to check that match out. One of the greatest ever.
With the workers in that match, it's easy to be average and not make the match worse. And it will be in my lucha post

Also, Scorpio had a tryout match last week according to pwi

There were rumors from wrestling observer he signed with Impact wrestling a deal that pays him per appearance but he denied it because he was going to the Summerslam tryouts.

Then supposedly he didn't show to the tryouts but it seems instead they used him to shoot 3 weeks amounts of anger management skits.

So I guess he decided this is better opportunity then per appearance pay and he might show up on the show as Kane or Bryan's sponsor.

http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/wwe..._TNA_Star_Attending_WWE_Tryout_Birthdays.html

http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/tna...tatus_TNA_Signing_New_X_Division_Talents.html

Ah, wasn't aware thanks.

Really not sure about this one but I really think that if I thought I had a shot at WWE then I wouldn't do Impact.

I'm almost crying manly tears at this post, CM Punk don't deserve no respect until he gives Kane the earned respect live on Raw.

YES I FOUND IT!!!!!!

For bigger hilarity, watch it from 1 minute in.
NEVER GETS OLD!
It was like an omen of things to come, incredible and unintentionally hilarious.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Probably should have used this gif in my first post back.

ibdu8VtCwIt6Ma.gif

DKehoe

With the workers in that match, it's easy to be average and not make the match worse. And it will be in my lucha post

But with a match of that quality one of the participants can't just be carried. Everyone involved needs to be of a great standard. Also will that match be the full version or the one with a section cut out?

Also, Scorpio had a tryout match last week according to pwi

On today's Wrestling Observer Radio they said he was well very received.

tm24

But with a match of that quality one of the participants can't just be carried. Everyone involved needs to be of a great standard. Also will that match be the full version or the one with a section cut out?

Octagon carried his end of of the bargain. But in a tag match, his faults are easily hidden. There's a reason that no one can think of a single great Octagon singles match. All his best matches are tags and trios. And it should be the full version. I was unaware there was a cut out section one

DKehoe

Octagon carried his end of of the bargain. But in a tag match, his faults are easily hidden. There's a reason that no one can think of a single great Octagon singles match. All his best matches are tags and trios. And it should be the full version. I was unaware there was a cut out section one

I'm sure you are far more knowledgeable about Lucha than me so you are probably right. I just love that match so thought I'd mention it in his defense. Yeh, the majority of the versions of that match from When Worlds Collide that I've seen online have a pretty significant section of it cut out. They are taken from Classics on Demand which has a fast forward during it.

Cagey

Banned
Probably should have used this gif in my first post back.

ibdu8VtCwIt6Ma.gif

CM Punk stuck Cena in that refrigerator and told him to stay there because the world was ending. With Cena out of the way, Punk could now headline main events and go to Casa Bonita. Cena will now venture forth into the wasteland and try to rebuild civilization.

Ithil

CM Punk stuck Cena in that refrigerator and told him to stay there because the world was ending. With Cena out of the way, Punk could now headline main events and go to Casa Bonita. Cena will now venture forth into the wasteland and try to rebuild civilization.

Wow...
Casa Bonita...

tm24

I'm sure you are far more knowledgeable about Lucha than me so you are probably right. I just love that match so thought I'd mention it in his defense. Yeh, the majority of the versions of that match from When Worlds Collide that I've seen online have a pretty significant section of it cut out. They are taken from Classics on Demand which has a fast forward during it.

Is the FF version the one that cuts out
My personal favorite part of the match where Art Barr kills Octagon and hijo del Santo does that spectacular dive to the outside?

Laserfrog

Thanks to those who witnessed WWE Smackdown VS Raw 2006 The Laserfrog Show for Intelligent People LIVE. What did we learn? Well Ric Flair will refuse to tap out, Kane likes to cook and classical music makes games better.

Watched some old-school IWA-Japan from 1994, namely the 'Fire on Earth' event with a crazy main event Fire Death Match with Terry Funk & Hiroshi Ono vs Shoji Nakamaki & Nobutaka Araya - as if a normal no-rope barbedwire match wasn't enough, here they've hung metal lanterns full of flaming logs from the barbedwire, not the wisest stipulation, as it turns out...

Terry Funk goes face first into a flaming lantern;

igDsYIMPqUHiw.gif

After a messed up spot where Terry badly burnt his fingers trying to pick up a flaming log, followed by him running round the ring and tripping over a fallen lantern, he's understandably in a bad mood, taking a chair to the remaining lanterns and sending sparks and flaming logs flying everywhere;

ibiM8kvQr6rIJx.gif

Having had entirely enough of the match at this point, Terry swiftly finishes things with a piledriver on to a flaming log;

ibjMJMcgij3OAk.gif

Post-match, Terry pushes away doctors trying to tend to his cuts and burns, and continuing his animosity with Atsushi Onita, screams into the camera "I don't need fucking stitches! Not like Onita, he's chicken shit! You hear me? CHICKEN SHIT!". IWA-Japan was nuts, I love it. Guys like the Headhunters and Leatherface scaring the shit out of the crowd, and ridiculous and over the top death matches.

There's a sale over at www.smartmarkvideo.com on DVDs & MP4 downloads - 25% off when you spend $60 or more. Only runs until August 29th at 11:59PM EST.

Gonna grab a bunch of ACW shows.

Good man, Boots. Thanks for alerting us to this.

Too bad the American Joshi Queen of Queens Tournament 2012 wont be released until "early Sept."

Wish all the past QoQ tourneys were on mp4 download too...

It's great that they are rolling them out now for download, and I know that server-side storage isn't dirt cheap anymore, but Anarchy and Smartmark should work together to at least get all the yearly "major" shows from the promotions they carry (In ACW's case, The AJQoQ, Guilty by Association, and From Innocence to Insanity series of events especially) out in the downloadable formats ASAP.

Watched some old-school IWA-Japan from 1994, namely the 'Fire on Earth' event with a crazy main event Fire Death Match with Terry Funk & Hiroshi Ono vs Shoji Nakamaki & Nobutaka Araya - as if a normal no-rope barbedwire match wasn't enough, here they've hung metal lanterns full of flaming logs from the barbedwire, not the wisest stipulation, as it turns out...

I had a custom-made 3-disc "Best of Crazy Terry Funk Matches set with this match, and many others, on it. Ironically, it burned up in the fire with the rest of my collection. LOL

Kaladin

Those Japanese fans must think this shit is real after watching those kind of matches.

Bootaaay, have you seen wXw's 16 Carrot Gold Cup 2012? I was thinking of picking that up and the Tournament of Death 2012 since it has the CZW matches from Miami on it.

Bootaaay, have you seen wXw's 16 Carrot Gold Cup 2012? I was thinking of picking that up and the Tournament of Death 2012 since it has the CZW matches from Miami on it.

I have seen it, Sandman. Good stuff. Sami Callihan rocks. But you know that already. His matches with Finley, and the three-way he's in are ****+

EDIT: Looking back over the card to remind myself, really, the top 2 matches on the card all three nights were very good.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm sitting here trying to think of Owen Hart dream matches, and Owen's pretty much done all of them.

Owen Hart vs Jushin Liger(super underrated match)
Owen Hart vs Chris Benoit
Owen Hart vs Dynamite Kid
Owen Hart vs Brian Pillman (funny, but I wish it was a real match. Those two have perfect chemistry)
Owen Hart vs Shawn Michaels
Owen Hart vs Ultimo Dragon
Owen Hart vs Bret Hart(I think this is one of the best WM matches of all time. Between the feud building up and the match quality of the two, especially since they're technically mirrors of one another in some ways but complete opposites in others)
Owen Hart vs Mr. Perfect(4 minutes long ,but the fact that they were in the ring together is still amazing)

I'm struggling to think of a realistic dream match that he could have had and didn't other than like Macho Man and Steamboat

Yeah, the 16 Carat is always worth a shot, but I especially enjoyed this year's - Callihan vs Finlay and Zack Sabre Jr. vs Jon Ryan on night one were both great, plus another four tournament matches from nights 2 & 3 that made my best of the year list. Outside of the tournament, Big Van Walter has an AWESOME title match against Daisuke Sekimoto, there's an excellent tag on night 3, plus a great World of Sports rules match with Johnny Kidd. Definitely worth the asking price, imo.

Top Bottom