• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

You can find an episode arc breakdown here and I'd probably start with the Heavens Arena Arc as that had some great sakuga.

I would just start at Heaven's Arena and run all the way through Chimera Ant if it was me. On the other hand, I'm a crazy person who loves Greed Island so what do I know?

7Th

Spring Mecha Showdown IV: Let's see the robots in action!

KWdygDZ.jpg

hHu79Sv.jpg

UpKGlHV.jpg

They all look like they would belong in the same show. Awful.

wonzo

Banned
Best mecha art in the show - Majestic Prince
Whatever gains it gets from the good Mecha art is completely destroyed by just how shitty everything else looks.

what a shame

I would just start at Heaven's Arena and run all the way through Chimera Ant if it was me. On the other hand, I'm a crazy person who loves Greed Island so what do I know?
Same here lol. Hell, even the Hunter Exam has its moments (the decapitation, Hisoka losing it, the Gon v Hanzo final exam match)

JCG

Can't find Kira (yet), but I think Athrun grew up and joined the show!

Well, there it is!

Anyone related to Code Geass is cursed for life. So it is written.

Definitely can't say I agree with you, especially since I didn't hate that series and have liked other shows Okouchi has written for. They're not exactly the same.

At the same time, I also think Code Geass had a more interesting premise than Valvrave.

Articalys

I know I'll be looking into the OSTs for Majestic Prince and Gargantia, at least. Haven't heard as much of Valvrave's -- they're the only ones without any samples online.
edit: ooh, speaking of which, Gargantia has another OST sample on the site:

http://www.gargantia.jp/mp3/sound3.mp3

(replace sound3 with 0,1,2 for the other samples so far)

yami4ct

They all look like they would belong in the same show. Awful.

I don't think that's entirely fair. A lot of this is due to the closeup angle. Full view, Valvrave and MP look pretty different. Also, Gargantia looks nothing like the other two shows. Completely different mecha style.

Who hate it?

It seems like the general consensus is most people, while they don't hate it, don't really like it all that much either. It is a change of pace after Yorkshin, so I can understand why some may be bothered by that. I still love it.

Theonik

Armoured Trooper VOTOMS 06
iSf6r0RhxrZTk.png
ibbX05cEBGIrYK.png

Sure you are.
So we also get some :chet too. These are some nice outfits too. Actually the VT suits are pretty awesome looking too, who-ever did the designs for this certainly had good taste for the most part. Felt sort of like a cop-out though. Very little was actually explained despite what the preview promised. Scaling back my expectations for the next one.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 ep 13

The ships leaving warp often are my favorite parts to look at just for the effect, especially when it breaks like a sheet of ice seen in the earlier episodes. The whole hunt here was just as I expected and a bit even more intense due to
Captain's heart issue on top of XO, Niimi, and Tactical Officer Kodai drama. Was really glad he stepped up to handle the issue making the smarter solution of the bunch. Was kind of hoping if the captain was unable to meet his duties that Kodai would become the new captain
. Sound effects for torpedos, ocean appearance and watery sounds for the dimensional areas and cross dimensional sonar systems was quite good additional medical advancements was a bit mindblowing, medical drones and hows he was doing it.

yami4ct

It's still a huge step over the other two, who I wouldn't know which one was from which show unless someone told me.

Nah man, MP blows Gargantia and Valvarave out of the water. The animation in the PVs has been way more fun and the designs are more interesting. If you look at the other designs in the show, it differentiates itself from Valvrave quite a bit.

Also, both those shows look markedly better than Gargantia. Though I'd say as a package Gargantia will blow Valvrave out of the water.

Dresden

Definitely can't say I agree with you, especially since I didn't hate that series and have liked other shows Okouchi has written for. They're not exactly the same.

At the same time, I also think Code Geass had a more interesting premise than Valvrave.
Code Geass didn't have Dyson Spheres!

GVKBki7.jpg

Mature

Neon Genesis Evangelion - 2
The momentum is kept. I enjoy the way this episode is delivered. We skip the climactic battle and start showing all it's repercussions. We eventually find out that Shinji won, but it's decorated with these set pieces of ruin and destruction. The wind isn't really taken out of your sails, you're just curious. One thing worth noting that starts in this episode are these bizarre scenes of Shinji and his introspection. There's no dialogue, he's just sitting in his bed and flashing back. The mood is so Lain Iwakura during these, the influence (on Lain's part) wouldn't surprise me. My memory serves, albeit vaguely, that these don't let up— which I'm happy for since I think they shed a lot of light on Shinji's character.

The fight then concluded where it left of at the end of the episode. It was thrilling to say the least. I think one of the most important parts of a great mecha fight is the weight shown by the mechs. I think this was used effectively in reverse here. When we first saw Shinji piloting 01, he was just trying to take steps and it was slow and cumbersome. Each step boomed and we were shown the effects of glass shattering and craters forming. Then, when the 01 goes "berserker", you see it's movements become sort of weightless and swift. It really multiplies the effect of power the units are shown to have. That is all to say, it was well done.

Narag

Armoured Trooper VOTOMS 06
so we also get some :chet too. These are some nice outfits too. Actually the VT suits are pretty awesome looking too, who-ever did the designs for this certainly had good taste for the most part. Felt sort of like a cop-out though. Very little was actually explained despite what the preview promised. Scaling back my expectations for the next one.

Of note:
  • Be sure to watch the previews like Jexhius said.
  • The show consists of four 13 episode arcs to make up the 52 so if things seem like they're dragging, resolution generally isn't too far off.

duckroll

First thing from this show that looks kind of interesting.

The Dyson Sphere in Valvrave seems to be just a plot mechanic. It's an easy excuse to explain why 70% of humanity has willingly moved to space, and how large alliances have divided humanity into two factions. It seems constructed just to enable a Gundam scenario of Federation vs Zeon on a space colony, without actually taking the Gundam approach.

Theonik

Of note:
  • Be sure to watch the previews like Jexhius said.
  • The show consists of four 13 episode arcs to make up the 52 so if things seem like they're dragging, resolution generally isn't too far off.
  • I am watching them don't worry.
  • Will keep that in mind thanks, I don't think it's dragging or anything was just annoyed by the promise of a resolution only to receive nothing in return. Seriously
    Falling for the "I will take you to that secret place where all the answers lie instead of telling you should be something no-one should fall for.

yami4ct

The Dyson Sphere in Valvrave seems to be just a plot mechanic. It's an easy excuse to explain why 70% of humanity has willingly moved to space, and how large alliances have divided humanity into two factions. It seems constructed just to enable a Gundam scenario of Federation vs Zeon on a space colony, without actually taking the Gundam approach.

So Valvrave really just is Sunrise just making another modern Gundam. Well, isn't that just awful?

Spring Mecha Showdown Round II: Key Visual Comparisons

Gargantia > Majestic Prince > Valvrave.

- Gargantia looks really colourful and vibrant and looks quite intreresting.
- Majestic Prince has 30 people in it and a horizontal guy. Seems alright.
- Valvrave, I'm not sure about, there's something I don't like but I can't put my finger on it.

Jackpot

Banned
Aoi Hana / Sweet Blue Flowers

Is this a proper anime or did I get tricked into watching super-soft erotica pretending to be a tv series again?

Either way, some nice drawing. Sure makes a difference from the clean copy&paste on a computer figures. Some of them even look like real people.

Kurita

Aoi Hana / Sweet Blue Flowers

Is this a proper anime or did I get tricked into watching super-soft erotica pretending to be a tv series again?

Either way, some nice drawing. Sure makes a difference from the clean copy&paste on a computer figures. Some of them even look like real people.

It's more of a cute girls having cute and innocent love stories manga/anime. I'm only two volumes in though.
Might check the anime later.

duckroll

So Valvrave really just is Sunrise just making another modern Gundam. Well, isn't that just awful?

Yes, but this time the money is coming from Aniplex. It really does sound like a straight Gundam riff. The main character is a normal Japanese high school teenager living peacefully on his colony until evil militant troops invade, and then by chance he encounters the mysterious mech Valvrave and fights to defend his friends. That's literally the set up. The bad guys also all have GERMAN names. The main rival character is a mysterious white hair teenager who looks very angry and is a secret agent for the evil GERMAN army working with a team of other agents to infiltrate the colony.

It's GUNDAM as fuck.

yami4ct

By the way Mature, you don't actually need to watch the whole series because the movie airing on Toonami is basically a remake of it.

The only "Remake" the movies are is that 1.1 is a remake of the first few episodes. From there, the Rebuild movies are their own beast for better or worse.

Narag

Yes, but this time the money is coming from Aniplex. It really does sound like a straight Gundam riff. The main character is a normal Japanese high school teenager living peacefully on his colony until evil militant troops invade, and then by chance he encounters the mysterious mech Valvrave and fights to defend his friends. That's literally the set up. The bad guys also all have GERMAN names. The main rival character is a mysterious white hair teenager who looks very angry and is a secret agent for the evil GERMAN army working with a team of other agents to infiltrate the colony.

It's GUNDAM as fuck.

Will this mysterious white haired teenager have a mask? I'll reserve judgement until I learn one way or another.

/XX/

Route 20: Galactic Airport Pilot Film (R20: Ginga Kuukou)
Thanks for making me aware of this. I'll have to give it a look sometime in the future.
I love what it is and what it could have been! Anyway, there is little more to see on it apart from the scenes with the images wonzo posted and that music theme accompanying it all (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=48252470&postcount=4641), so you don't need much more than a couple of minutes to see the entire pilot. Having said that, I'm grateful to what Danielle T. (lyricaldanichan) did, as AnimeCon '91 former staff member and current one at FanimeCon, for taking on the effort of making available for fans around the globe the recording present on that old tape and shown at such one-of-a-time convention.

The only LN announcement I could care for is either more Spice and Wolf, Baccano or KyoAni adapting Biblia Koshodou no Jiken Techou.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18780843/anime/bibiliakosho.jpg

anything else would just be some shitty incest bait tripe anyway
Are you saying you wouldn't want to see an adaptation of Good Loser Kumagawa after that last episode from the second TV series season of Medaka Box?

Apart from the obvious 'pandering' possibilities (and even then, works like that as NISIOISIN's own Zaregoto stand above many other because of proper and fine additional merits) of this more accessible and visually attractive format, the requirements, or better said classification, for a 'light novel' label is so... "lightly" defined and broad the format shouldn't have any negative connotations on itself. The problem is that, as with everything on media, the nowadays bigger revenue streams from easily marketable and attentive audiences (of certain very conscious people, or 'ota' types) drown into oblivion anything else that isn't on the, more visible, crest of the wave.

You know, as an example we have people on Warner Bros., that made an investment for All You Need Is Kill I would have liked to see from a Japanese animation production company as well!

Also, now that we are talking about this topic I'll ask... is Yamakan's Einsatz (http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4054047491/) considered a 'light novel'? I definitely wanted to see more from it... if only for the illustrations made by Mr. Hiramatsu (http://fukkatsu.free.fr/upload/einsatz_hiramatsu.jpg, http://fukkatsu.free.fr/upload/einsatz02.jpg, http://fukkatsu.free.fr/upload/einsatz03.jpg, http://fukkatsu.free.fr/upload/einsatz04.jpg & http://fukkatsu.free.fr/upload/einsatz05.jpg, to feature some cool samples), and maybe his work being further developed with him still involved and overseeing such a hypothetical project.

Branduil

Seriously though this is one of the worst character designs I've ever seen. It's like it was deliberately designed badly. His head is a freaking square. I don't even need to go into the alien weirdness that Hirai's "noses" have evolved into.

imHW8UStkVCBy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom