• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2007

I'm hopeful 3rd parties will see this as another opportunity to put mighty resources behind the Wii. But deep down inside I know Umbrella Chronicles 2 will be the industry response.

evilromero said:
I'm hopeful 3rd parties will see this as another opportunity to put mighty resources behind the Wii. But deep down inside I know Umbrella Chronicles 2 will be the industry response.

More rail-shooter games can only be a good thing.

Assuming said rail shooter games are not, in fact, lousy, which I freely admit REUC (and any potentials sequels) has a pretty decent chance of being.

Frillen

Yeah, 1up Yours will be interesting tonight.

It still hurts that we don't get more numbers or a bigger top xx list. Where's the top 20??

Michael Pachter on NPD Results

Pachter said:
Top Selling Games By Platform For July 2007 (By Retail Sales $)

1 NCAA FOOTBALL 08 Electronic Arts
2 GUITAR HERO 2 W/ GUITAR Activision
3 NASCAR 08 Electronic Arts

PS2
1 GUITAR HERO ENCORE: ROCKS THE 8 Activision
2 NCAA FOOTBALL 08 Electronic Arts
3 GUITAR HERO 2 W/GUITAR Activision

Wii
1 PLAY W/ REMOTE Nintendo
2 MARIO PARTY 8 Nintendo
3 MARIO STRIKERS: CHARGED Nintendo

PS3
1 NCAA FOOTBALL 08 Electronic Arts
2 NINJA GAIDEN SIGMA Tecmo
3 TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW SIX: VEGAS Ubisoft

Handhelds
NDS POKEMON DIAMOND VERSION Nintendo
NDS POKEMON PEARL VERSION Nintendo
NDS NEW SUPER MARIO BROS Nintendo

Next generation (PS3, Wii, 360, PSP, DS) software sales of $283 million were below our $295 million forecast. Current generation (PS2, Xbox, GC, GBA) software sales of $136 million exceeded our $130 million estimate. PS2 software sales were down 22% year-over-year, about in line with recent trends, and still suggesting that strength on
this platform may be sustainable well into 2007. Our full-year forecast calls for PS2 software sales to decline by 30%, implying that declines over the rest of the year will approach 38%. Should sales of PS2 software continue at a slower rate of decline, there will likely be upside to our overall growth estimates for the year.

While demand for the PS3 year-to-date is tracking below our expectations, sales doubled this month due to the recent price cut, suggesting that demand may be sustainable at these higher levels. Several of the hardware numbers surprised us. Xbox 360 demand was far stronger than we expected this month, with sales just above those for the
PS3. We had expected a decline in demand due to the warranty issue and price competition from Sony. We now expect Xbox 360 sales to increase, as the warranty issue appears to be of little concern to consumers, and the recent price cut should stimulate demand. Wii sales remain strong, with an apparent increase in supply during the quarter.
This increase is inconsistent with reports that Nintendo has had difficulty in increasing its manufacturing capacity, suggesting to us that the company has diverted supply from other areas (perhaps Japan) to the U.S. PS2 sales remained strong, somewhat higher than levels in recent months. We had expected to see a greater decline in PS2 hardware sales as sell-through for the next generation consoles picked up, but the legacy console keeps chugging along.

Specific game results
New release NCAA Football 08 sold less than our 900,000 units estimate (about 10%
less than last year). Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix sold much less than our 300,000 units estimate in its second month of release (about flat with last month’s sales).

New release All-Pro Football 2K8 sold slightly below our 100,000 units estimate, and we believe that the game will soon be discounted. The Darkness, The BIGS, and MLB led catalog sales.

Ratatouille sold below our 300,000 units estimate in its second month (about double last month’s sales). Catalog sales were led by WWE SmackDown vs. RAW 2007, Avatar, SpongeBob, and Cars and other WWE games.

By the way, this ban on images is lame and transparent. Everyone knows such a ban wouldn't have been issued if the numbers were what everyone was expecting.

MPW

633234533416605695.jpg

http://www.gamespot.com/users/Soulr...=convert&om_clk=soapbox&tag=soapbox;subject;1

typhonsentra said:
By the way, this ban on images is lame and transparent. Everyone knows such a ban wouldn't have been issued if the numbers were what everyone was expecting.

Does anyone really care? It's not like the images have disappeared - they've just been moved to a thread created specifically for that purpose.

typhonsentra said:

Are you saying that I'm pissy about the PS3 being beat by the 360? C'mon, be serious. The results were pretty much what were expected by GAF (based on predictions), inline with Sony's comments, with the exception of the Wii just going even more insane.

The NPD thread has been continually moving away from actual sales discussions ever since we got cut off from the full SW numbers. Presumably, because there just isn't as much to talk about. Every month, it becomes more and more impossible for it to be readable for the purposes of an actual discussion. If the images weren't as prevalent, I wouldn't mind, but they get quoted over and over and over again.

I probably overdid it as I do recognize for some folks, the images were the reason why they came into these threads and I respect the integrity of the site to allow folks to decide for themselves where and how a particular discussion should go. I am not trying to say, serious folks only, or no dissent allowed.

Because this thread for the first 10 minutes moves at the speed of light, the only recourse I felt was available was to lay down an edict for this specific thread. It's been done in threads by mods forever. If GAF decides that excessive images are an integral part of the lampooning of certain companies, I have no problem with that. I've gotten both positive and negative responses to my decision yesterday and I'd love to hear more feedback.

Majority rules.

jjgames

I like the discussion much more without the images. It seems more on topic most of the time and easier to read through the actual comments rather than all the images.

I don't think it's fun without the gifs... and the image thread (even though I suggested it) didn't really work that well either. As one of the early posters said, it felt forced.

Maybe instead someone creates a "NPD August 2007: Serious Business" thread where all the analysts can go and discuss the figures with a cigar and brandy. :D

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
This is sort of a dumb thought, but - if the point of banning images was to keep all discussion in this thread related to NPD numbers, shouldn't we just create a separate thread for "Should we allow images in NPD numbers threads?" Because this is just a text-based version of image derailment, basically. No one is discussing the numbers.

Reilly

Campster said:
This is sort of a dumb thought, but - if the point of banning images was to keep all discussion in this thread related to NPD numbers, shouldn't we just create a separate thread for "Should we allow images in NPD numbers threads?"

I thought the banning of the images had more to do with making everything load faster. As someone with a slow DSL connection, I welcome the ban. Post those 3Mb gifs elsewhere.

jjasper

So is Wii the fast selling console ever? I don't keep up with this stuff but selling 10million worldwide and 4.25 in the US in 9 months is just crazy.

Campster said:
This is sort of a dumb thought, but - if the point of banning images was to keep all discussion in this thread related to NPD numbers, shouldn't we just create a separate thread for "Should we allow images in NPD numbers threads?" Because this is just a text-based version of image derailment, basically. No one is discussing the numbers.

Eh...

Until I get some more numbers, I think we've discussed the HW and top 10 SW as much as people are going to. I didn't want to create a 4th NPD thread (Results, prediction, Images, what do you think?). A bit too much overkill, but there is another route our conversation can take. But, I was really responding to Typon's comment.

jjasper said:
So is Wii the fast selling console ever? I don't keep up with this stuff but selling 10million worldwide and 4.25 in the US in 9 months is just crazy.
I believe so. I had a bet on in the UK that it would have the fastest selling first 6 months of any console and they paid out on it. But who knows what data they checked. :lol

fatty

sonycowboy said:
Are you saying that I'm pissy about the PS3 being beat by the 360? C'mon, be serious. The results were pretty much what were expected by GAF (based on predictions), inline with Sony's comments, with the exception of the Wii just going even more insane.

The NPD thread has been continually moving away from actual sales discussions ever since we got cut off from the full SW numbers. Presumably, because there just isn't as much to talk about. Every month, it becomes more and more impossible for it to be readable for the purposes of an actual discussion. If the images weren't as prevalent, I wouldn't mind, but they get quoted over and over and over again.

I probably overdid it as I do recognize for some folks, the images were the reason why they came into these threads and I respect the integrity of the site to allow folks to decide for themselves where and how a particular discussion should go. I am not trying to say, serious folks only, or no dissent allowed.

Because this thread for the first 10 minutes moves at the speed of light, the only recourse I felt was available was to lay down an edict for this specific thread. It's been done in threads by mods forever. If GAF decides that excessive images are an integral part of the lampooning of certain companies, I have no problem with that. I've gotten both positive and negative responses to my decision yesterday and I'd love to hear more feedback.

Majority rules.

I see where you are coming from and certainly respect it but it would of been nice if this was established beforehand. We all know the nature of the NPD threads in the past few months so I think posting a moratorium on gifs during the thread was going a bit too far.

As for myself, I hardly ever post in NPD threads, yet I make sure to always visit them because of the meltdowns, defense forces and great gifs. I also like sales-age, but you can only take so much without throwing some humor into the mix.

I'd like to see the filler cut down as well but I'm not sure of the best way to handle it. Maybe asking people in the first post not to quote images and refrain from the 'OMGWTH' and 'smily quoting smily' responses? (I still wouldn't ban, though) As it is I would still rather have the good with the bad. There is a reason why these threads get so large.

Dies Iræ

sonycowboy said:

Majority rules.

Honestly, I think trying to micromanage thread dynamics is out of a mod's limits. That's just me. The images provide much needed humor and removing them simply degrades the NDP. Let's keep them around and establish a general rule that users who perpetually quote images will be warned and/or banned (for a brief period). That way, everyone wins.

Talamius

Read up to page 20 so far...if this point has already been raised just disregard.

The more I think of it the enormous legs of MP8 shouldn't surprise anyone. It is practically the natural evolution of Wii Sports/Play. Fun multiplayer minigames + party setting + Mario = megahit. In fact, it's entirely feasible that the people buying MP8 never even played or, even, heard of the previous seven Mario Party games. I honestly see it having Wii Sports/Play type legs worldwide till MP9 is released.

Haleon said:
Thread is less fun without the images. Get them back next month.

Ok. Failed experiment. They can come back now. It seems to be a bit too devisive at this point.

Dies Iræ said:
Let's keep them around and establish a general rule that users who perpetually quote images will be warned and/or banned (for a brief period). That way, everyone wins.

Maybe...

besada

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Majority rules.

I like the images, but I see the problem. Maybe we should just ban images for the first ten or so pages, get the discussion well in hand, and then open the floodgates. After the first ten pages of non-images, everything will have already been said anyway.

Edit: And if we'd just enforce the etiquette of not quoting the pics, we'd cut the bandwidth in half anyway.

Jokeropia

jjasper said:
Fastest selling home console yes. Both worldwide and on a regional basis in NA and Japan. (Possibly Europe as well, as always numbers from there are incomplete.)

PS2 software sales were down 22% year-over-year, about in line with recent trends, and still suggesting that strength on this platform may be sustainable well into 2007.
Patcher is really going out on a limb there.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I just can't believe how well the Wii is selling.

Why the fuck does everyone like it so damn much? I just don't get it!

Ah well, nothing I can do about it. At least 2007 is the last "hurrah" of what was to become the "next generation".

PS3 is completely dead, but 360 should hold on for a while longer.

Stalfos

sonycowboy said:
Ok. Failed experiment. They can come back now. It seems to be a bit too devisive at this point.

Maybe...

Maybe what you should do is have a no quoting images rule, that way you don't get an entire page with the same gif being quoted over and over again.

sonycowboy said:

Maybe...

You're my favorite again (awesome.gif, dunno if I can post images yet so I'll keep it in text form!)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Stalfos said:
Maybe what you should do is have a no quoting images rule, that way you don't get an entire page with the same gif being quoted over and over again.

Just do the [MC MIYAMOTO.GIF] thing instead of quoting the image. Half the time those descriptions add a bit of humor as well so win-win-win.

dark10x said:

dark10x, we all know you have perfectly legitimate reasons for not liking the Wii, but claiming that you can't understand why others would like it? That's a bit much, no?

jjasper

dark10x said:

Ah well, nothing I can do about it. At least 2007 is the last "hurrah" of what was to become the "next generation".

I think part of it is because it is the "it" thing right now. Everyone has one so should you. I personally know why I really like mine but that is because of the VC and I don't the average person cares about that.

I know everyone here hates "non games" or "minigame collections" but I really thing that is what your average consumer wants. They want to come home from work/school and play a little with their friends or family and be it.

Haleon said:
Pachter really is useless. The GAF Hive-mind is usually more accurate.
At least Pachter has a hive-mind. I'm curious as to how many personalities are kicking around that head of his to derive industry analysis in the form of 'our' and 'we'.

Almost makes me want to attend his wedding.

"Do you Pachter take <insert name he... let's just say duckroll> to be your lawfully wedded wife?"

"We do."

Gio_CoD

Banned
dark10x said:

I like it because of the VC, ease of use, and the motion controller. Stop acting so incredulous about it.

Lucky

Holy Shit! I am on page 34 of a thread started yesterday. That is fucking nuts! But those sales numbers were fucking nuts too!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
jjasper said:
I know everyone here hates "non games" or "minigame collections" but I really thing that is what your average consumer wants. They want to come home from work/school and play a little with their friends or family and be it.

I actually like minigame collections and wish the Wii had more polished ones with more content and better thought-out metagames layered on top of them (looking at you, Wario Ware).

RBH

sonycowboy said:

Maybe...

YAY!

I'm also in favor of disabling the ability to quote images.

jjasper said:
I think part of it is because it is the "it" thing right now. Everyone has one so should you.
See, this makes more sense with the 360, as you can actually play against other people. I know part of the reason I bought a 360 is because I know a bunch of people who have one and XBL. The Wii on the other hand...

Kosma

Banned
Hope this will make Sony to really drop the price.

I could really use a Blu Ray
and FFXIII
player.

CajoleJuice said:
The Wii on the other hand...

I just bought Strikers for my Wii and the online is good. If that's how Nintendo is going to implement it I'm ok, voice chat would be nice though. And this coming from a former 360 owner that is used to XBL.

jjasper

AstroLad said:
I actually like minigame collections and wish the Wii had more polished ones with more content and better thought-out metagames layered on top of them (looking at you, Wario Ware).

Yeah I like them too, they are quick, fun, and you don't have to worry about investing hours into them. It just seems to be a common complaint here about Wii software.

CajoleJuice said:
See, this makes more sense with the 360, as you can actually play against other people. I know part of the reason I bought a 360 is because I know a bunch of people who have one and XBL. The Wii on the other hand...

I think that definately helps with games for the 360. People see all their friends playing a game and they want it, but I still think Wii is the game system everyone knows about.

Excellent news guys. No numbers yet, but I think some of you may like these.

Massive thanks to the folks at NPD. All of these are based on unit sales.

TOP 20 VIDEO GAME TITLES
LAST RELEASE
MONTH RANK TITLE PLATFORM PUBLISHER DATE

** 1 NCAA FOOTBALL 08 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS Jul-07
** 2 GUITAR HERO ENCORE: ROCKS THE 80S PS2 ACTIVISION Jul-07
2 3 PLAY W/ REMOTE WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Feb-07
** 4 NCAA FOOTBALL 08 PS2 ELECTRONIC ARTS Jul-07
1 5 MARIO PARTY 8 WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA May-07
** 6 NCAA FOOTBALL 08 PS3 ELECTRONIC ARTS Jul-07
3 7 POKEMON DIAMOND VERSION NDS NINTENDO OF AMERICA Apr-07
12 8 TRANSFORMERS: THE GAME PS2 ACTIVISION Jun-07
6 9 GUITAR HERO 2 W/GUITAR PS2 ACTIVISION Nov-06