• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orujv.jpg

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

Support GAF authors:

aidan (Hugo Award winner): http://aidanmoher.com/blog/ / Tide of Shadows and Other Stories
AngmarsKing701: Ahvarra: The Heart of the World
cosmicblizzard: Freeze Kill
Elfforkusu: Wrath of Flight
Fidelis Hodie: Derek Agons Slays a Dragon
H.Protagonist: Dead Endings
Hop: The Latte Segment
Plasticine Live Undead
whatevermort: The Explorer; No Harm Can Come to a Good Man; Long Dark Dusk by James Smythe

GAF Recommends!

Education/History
Book Recommendations for Particular Areas of Study
Best Factual Books on War (WWI/WW2 and Beyond)
History Books

General/Fiction
Recommend me books with pretty prose
I need a book
Essential books for a non-reader
Page turners (suspense)
Recommend me Historical Novels
What are your favorite books?
Recommend Me a Book and I'll Read It
Short stories
Spy & Espionage Fiction
Reading is .. Fun?
Philosophical Fiction
Top 5 Books of 2013 as voted by GAF
Novels with great world building
Non-western literature
Must Read Books That Came Out in the Past 10 Years
Books of 2010
Lengthy Books
Summer Reading

Sci-fi/Fantasy
Stephen King Books
Recommend a book that feels like Dark Souls
The Best Science Fiction/Space Opera Books
Cyberpunk (Note: Not just book recommendations)
Cyberpunk Fiction
Fantasy Literature
Epic Fantasy
Fast Pace Action Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books
Fantasy and Science Fiction That is Worth Reading
Best Sci-Fi You've Ever Read
NPR Top 100 of Sci-Fi/Fantasy as of 2011
Fantasy Recommendations
Modern Fantasy and Hidden Gems
Post-apocalpytic Books
Forgotten Sci-Fi Novels
Space Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Fantasy Books
Dresden's Favorite Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Sci-Fi Novel Series
Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books

Horror
Vampire Lore
Modern Literary Horror Fiction
Can books be scary?
Horror Fiction
Scary Books

Audiobooks
Audiobook recommendations
Help me choose books from Audible
Great audiobooks
What's your favorite audiobook?

Explore
Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime
Goodreads 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime
The 40 Best Sci-Fi Books According to Reddit
100 Books Every High School Student Should Read
100 Greatest Sci Fi Novels
100 Best Novels
The Sci-Fi Masterworks List
Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century

Kindle Links
Free Kindle Books
Amazon Kindle Search - set alerts for free or price drop Kindle books

Online Book Stores
http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/

Free Audio Books
http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads
What are you reading? (June 2016)
What are you reading? (May 2016)
What are you reading? (April 2016)
What are you reading? (March 2016)
What are you reading? (February 2016)
What are you reading? (January 2016)
What are you reading? (December 2015)
What are you reading? (November 2015)
What are you reading? (October 2015)
What are you reading? (September 2015)
What are you reading? (August 2015)
What are you reading? (July 2015)
What are you reading? (June 2015)
What are you reading? (May 2015)
What are you reading? (April 2015)
What are you reading? (March 2015)
What are you reading? (February 2015)
What are you reading? (January 2015)
What are you reading? (December 2014)
What are you reading? (November 2014)
What are you reading? (October 2014)
What are you reading? (September 2014)
What are you reading? (August 2014)
What are you reading? (July 2014)
What are you reading? (June 2014)
What are you reding? (May 2014)
What are you reading? (April 2014)
What are you reading? (March 2014)
What are you reading? (February 2014)
What are you reading? (January 2014)
What are you reading? (December 2013)
What are you reading? (November 2013)
What are you reading? (October 2013)
What are you reading? (September 2013)
What are you reading? (August 2013)
What are you reading? (July 2013)
What are you reading? (June 2013)
What are you reading? (May 2013)
What are you reading? (April 2013)
What are you reading? (March 2013)
What are you reading? (February 2013)
What are you reading? (January 2013)
What are you reading? (December 2012)
What are you reading? (November 2012)
What are you reading? (October 2012)
What are you reading? (September 2012)
What are you reading? (August 2012)
What are you reading? (July 2012)
What are you reading? (June 2012)
What are you reading? (May 2012)
What are you reading? (April 2012)
What are you reading? (March 2012)
What are you reading? (February 2012)
What are you reading? (January 2012)
What are you reading? (December 2011)
What are you reading? (November 2011)
What are you reading? (October 2011)
What are you reading? (September 2011)
What are you reading? (August 2011)
What are you reading? (July 2011)
What are you reading? (June 2011)
What are you reading? (May 2011)
What are you reading? (April 2011)
What are you reading (March 2011)
What are you reading (February 2011)
What are you reading (January 2011)

Visit the June book club thread hosted by Cyan: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1226913

The book for this month is Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace

Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace

Via goodreads.com: Set in an addicts' halfway house and a tennis academy, and featuring the most endearingly screwed-up family to come along in recent fiction, Infinite Jest explores essential questions about what entertainment is and why it has come to so dominate our lives; about how our desire for entertainment affects our need to connect with other people; and about what the pleasures we choose say about who we are.

Equal parts philosophical quest and screwball comedy, Infinite Jest bends every rule of fiction without sacrificing for a moment its own entertainment value. It is an exuberant, uniquely American exploration of the passions that make us human—and one of those rare books that renew the idea of what a novel can do.

Amazon US
Amazon UK
Barnes & Noble

Zombine

Banned
Will start reading this today:

AmericanGods_MassMarketPaperback_1185415388.jpg

Huge comic nerd, but for some reason I never looked into any of Gaiman's other works outside of the medium.

The Mule

Just finished Greg Egan's Axiomatic.

axiomatic.jpg

Love his work, and I really enjoyed this collection of short stories. I think Egan is at his strongest with the short story format. Some of the stories fell a bit flat, but overall it was a really strong line up of ideas that make you think.

I'm now reading a book written by a friend. Her name is Elspeth Muir and the book is called Wasted.

9781922182135.jpg

Necrovex

Does GRE prep material count as reading? QQ

Still reading Game Change, and A Woman in Charge. Two fantastic political literature. I have paid more attention to word choices and prose.

I have debated about reading Infinite Jest and trying to play catch up. But my willpower has been enervated by the GRE. :-(

Litan

On the second malazan book, Deadhouse Gates. Couple more chapters and I'm done, then it's straight on to Memories of Ice.

Farseer #3: Assassin's Quest

6AXJB1k.jpg

250 pages in. Not as good as the outrageously good second book so far but overall I'm really enjoying the trilogy. Fitz is the best main character I've read in fantasy.

Laggurl

Neo Member
Anyone familiar with Man's Fate (Andre Malraux)? Just got it loaned from a friend And think some outside perspective of it may be helpful!

Love the chapter names and the fact that the book opens by listing the principal characters and their title.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat

On Book 3 of All the Birds, nearly halfway through. Been slower reading it than I'd like. And the SMB3 book just went out to Kickstarter backers so that's next on the list.

McBryBry

Do you guys like comics? Because if so, I'm on one hell of a comic bender...

In trying to get caught up with Marvel, starting with the Marvel NOW! relaunch in 2012/2013... Trying to read everything that involves someone I like. Which is a lot. I scrolled through the entire list (found a reading order) and ohhhhhhhhh boy. I'm gonna be reading for a while...

Currently going through Avengers Arena, then gonna start Captain America. But I've still got so much before I even get to Age of Ultron.

Laggurl

Neo Member
Do you guys like comics? Because if so, I'm on one hell of a comic bender...

In trying to get caught up with Marvel, starting with the Marvel NOW! relaunch in 2012/2013... Trying to read everything that involves someone I like. Which is a lot. I scrolled through the entire list (found a reading order) and ohhhhhhhhh boy. I'm gonna be reading for a while...

Currently going through Avengers Arena, then gonna start Captain America. But I've still got so much before I even get to Age of Ultron.

Ha, yeah not sure where comics stand but I'm in the same boat; it's crazy getting back into comics now after a break of 5 yr or so. So much stuff...

McBryBry

Ha, yeah not sure where comics stand but I'm in the same boat; it's crazy getting back into comics now after a break of 5 yr or so. So much stuff...

And it definitely doesn't help when the characters you care about are in like 5 different books lol.

968868.jpg

Just finished book one in the Book of The New Sun series. Starting Claw of the Concillator now.

I have no idea what's going on.

Regiruler

Got the Mistborn trilogy for christmas and only recently started reading it. Start is pretty good but I need to make myself go back to it at some point (I always have trouble starting the chapter or 3 in any work).

Pau

Does GRE prep material count as reading? QQ

Still reading Game Change, and A Woman in Charge. Two fantastic political literature. I have paid more attention to word choices and prose.

I have debated about reading Infinite Jest and trying to play catch up. But my willpower has been enervated by the GRE. :-(
Oh boy. I know the feel. What are you focusing on?

About 2/3 of the way through Kay's Children of Earth and Sky. Aside from some wild contrivances, I'm enjoying it. Kay's writing is the most graceful prose of anyone I've ever read.

ngower

I started Fates and Furies and I hate the narrator (Lotto) so I'm sort of avoiding it. Maybe I'll finish it.

Enjoying the first two issues of 4 Kids Walk Into A Bank if that counts...

jacobs34

I started Fates and Furies and I hate the narrator (Lotto) so I'm sort of avoiding it. Maybe I'll finish it.

Enjoying the first two issues of 4 Kids Walk Into A Bank if that counts...

Fates and Furies takes a pretty big left turn at some point, it's worth pressing on.

Necrovex

Oh boy. I know the feel. What are you focusing on?

I've seen your posts about it! I also feel we may have talked about it during PAX East when I was exhausted from all the partying.

My biggest weakness is the math portion. I haven't touched math (outside Statistics) in like seven years, so I completely forgot how to do all word problems and the algebretic formulas. I'm following Magoosh's 90-day schedule (compressing it into 60-days) for both verbal and math. I actually enjoy the English portion as it is making me appreciate sentence structures, prose, and sophisticated words. Aiming to simply get decent scores as I am planning to pursue state schools in Florida. This will be a hellish two months though (already a week in and kill me right now).

Mike M

Nick N
Listening/reading to Running With the Demon by Terry Brooks. First Brooks I've ever read, and it's pretty enjoyable so far.

sadblob

Started Mother of Learning, was pleasantly surprised after the first chapters, when I thought it was a generic "magic school" story. I got addicted and read 15 chapters last night. Who needs sleep anyway?

Still reading A Game Of Thrones. About half way through now. These are big books. I'm really enjoying it so far, but the only thing that irritates me is just the sheer number of characters, locations. In a single page, GRRM, dropped like 15 new characters out of the blue. In all my times of reading, I don't think I've ever encountered writing like that.

Having the X-Ray feature on the Kindle is a must for this series I think.

Aurelius

scale.rb

Story of the coal mining industry in the south of the Netherlands from the early 1900's till the decline in the 1950's. Very interesting for me since both my grandfathers were coal miners.

Still reading A Brief Hostory of Time, the difficulty curve of this book is strange, the first few chapters are "I've learned all of this in high school I can skip this" easy, then it quickly turned into "I recognize all these words but I have no idea what Hawking was saying" hard.
Still reading A Game Of Thrones. About half way through now. These are big books. I'm really enjoying it so far, but the only thing that irritates me is just the sheer number of characters, locations. In a single page, GRRM, dropped like 15 new characters out of the blue. In all my times of reading, I don't think I've ever encountered writing like that.

Having the X-Ray feature on the Kindle is a must for this series I think.
There are many houses with notable lords and knights, it is only natural. I'll take that over the show's needless character over-trimming/killing, only to merge characters or repurpose some in weird or straight up awful ways.

Cade

The double whammy of Overwatch and Steam sale has annihilated my reading progress. I'll have to do better, but none of the books I'm reading are easily binge-read. Hate when this happens.

thomaser

Finished "Endurance Techniques" by Chris McNab, a randomly picked-up book about what elite soldiers ought to be like. Not really my kind of thing, but mildly interesting at times.

41LZXbhquZL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Now, starting Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth. Now this looks fun!

Zombine

Banned
Holy cow. Finished the first chapter of American Gods, and I've got to say that was quite the ending.
I don't think that I read this wrong, but the sex goddess who posed as a hooker sucked that John into her vagnia and ate him then went to sleep.

lol what a book.

Finished: The Butterfly Garden

29981261.jpg

Quick read, decent book. The ending "twist" was a bit useless however.

Now on to: Fire In The East

3979407.jpg

Was looking for some new historical fiction. See if this series is any good.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Holy cow. Finished the first chapter of American Gods, and I've got to say that was quite the ending.
I don't think that I read this wrong, but the sex goddess who posed as a hooker sucked that John into her vagnia and ate him then went to sleep.

And this is getting an adaptation next year!!

Interesting premise. Basically looks at architecture and city planning from the perspective of both thieves and burglars and from those who stop them, such as panic room companies and security consultants

51FTdzsiJAL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

kswiston

I am 95% of the way through The Tower Lord by Anthony Ryan. The plot structure is different than the first novel, but I think it holds up better than some led me to believe.

Epcott

Farseer #3: Assassin's Quest

6AXJB1k.jpg

250 pages in. Not as good as the outrageously good second book so far but overall I'm really enjoying the trilogy. Fitz is the best main character I've read in fantasy.

Ha! Just started this today too!
I hope Regal gets crown cancer.

Zombine

Banned
And this is getting an adaptation next year!!

I closed the book to take a break and I said "Lol there is no way they are going to film this." I know it's Starz but holy crap.

And Gaiman's colorful explanation of the entire event...

tumblr_inline_o6mudk2tZ61t507a3_500.gif

lol what a book.
Any other impressions of American Gods? I've read the first few chapters on my Nook, thinking of getting the book but I've read mixed impressions. Is it more existential/philosophical or does it explore the gods in a more voyeuristic way? I'm more interested in looking through a window into this world rather than a convoluted hard-to-follow read

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Any other impressions of American Gods? I've read the first few chapters on my Nook, thinking of getting the book but I've read mixed impressions. Is it more existential/philosophical or does it explore the gods in a more voyeuristic way? I'm more interested in looking through a window into this world rather than a convoluted hard-to-follow read

It's a pretty straightforward read, even the magic gods bits. Definitely on the voyeuristic side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom