• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Golf |OT| We'll miss you Hot Shots Golf

OmegaDL50

Bought this game impulsively because I am a huge fan of both Camelot's Mario Golf and Clap Hanz early HSG titles (put tons of time into Out of Bounds on the PS3), both series having a very similar play style.

While the lack of an Advanced Shot is a bit of a bummer, I can deal with it. Besides if any of the previous HSG games are any consideration then this is the sort of game that gets numerous updates through the life of the game.

I added myself to the Spreadsheet, Be glad to go a few rounds or an occasional tournament with you folks.

They were different visual representations of the exact same shot mechanic. Unless you're talking about playing with the Move, which was added to OOB late.

Not correct. You don't have proper impact control and there are extra shots on the end of the pink bits.

Also part of the golfers stats determined how bad they would slice when missing to the left and right of perfect impact. "Advance" shot was easy mode, throwing that all away, glad they ditched it.

Anyway, making a character now!

Not correct. You don't have proper impact control and there are extra shots on the end of the pink bits.

Also part of the golfers stats determined how bad they would slice when missing to the left and right of perfect impact. "Advance" shot was easy mode, throwing that all away, glad they ditched it.

Anyway, making a character now!

Did you use Arrow shot in WI? I fail to see how that lacks impact control because it absolutely has it. Same with circle shot, hitting before the circle is PI vs. after it passes PI. Advance shot was still 3-button press, your dismissal of it as "easy mode" is infantile.

Did you use Arrow shot in WI? I fail to see how that lacks impact control because it absolutely has it. Same with circle shot, hitting before the circle is PI vs. after it passes PI. Advance shot was still 3-button press, your dismissal of it as "easy mode" is infantile.

Arrow is dumbed down too? Not sure how this changes what I said.

There's even a trick shot on the end of the impact line (dark pink) you can't see in some swing modes. Not sure if they have that in this game though. To be honest I didn't play around with other modes much.

Having fun so far!

This is so good.

Looks like I may have done a super frontspin off the tee without unlocking anything (first bounce hit with fire). Did they drop leveling up for trick shots?

Also impact on the putt feels strange. Otherwise I totally just sink into my groove and could burn through a course in no time.

PS, setting up tee positions is HUGE

wapplew

This is so good.

Looks like I may have done a super frontspin off the tee without unlocking anything (first bounce hit with fire). Did they drop leveling up for trick shots?

Also impact on the putt feels strange. Otherwise I totally just sink into my groove and could burn through a course in no time.

I played a lot EG On vita yet I have no idea what all these terms mean...what's tee positions?
Edit: no need to answer me, I've googled.

I played a lot EG On vita yet I have no idea what all these terms mean...what's tee positions?
Edit: no need to answer me, I've googled.

Setting your place in the tee box. You can always make sure you have the straightest line down the fairway, take the best angle over sand etc.

On Vita to could actually do this by pinching the system and essentially picking up your character and placing them. Was kinda cool, but this is even better.

Hobbun

Yes, there's a campaign mode. You win tournaments to increase your EXP and face off against NPCs to increase your rank or break the EXP gate.

EDIT: Added myself to the Google sheet

Ok, thanks. That's good to hear.

How much are the two additional courses? I did not preorder the game. And I assume you still need to unlock the courses through the course of the game?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This is so good.

I think thats just a byproduct of a 100% + perfect hit? Saw it a few times on streams over the weekend

MizzouRah

Loving it so far -- I like the new individual club leveling up mechanic. I only had time to beat the first two VS battles (and tournaments required to access those matches), but I had 5 chip-ins so my AW back door feels wonderfully high already.

Heel

So just to be clear -- Balata is not one of the pre-order bonus courses?

No, it's paid DLC.

DLC - Green Country Club Course from Hot Shots Golf ($4.99) - free with pre-order
DLC - Balata Country Club Course from Hot Shots Golf 2 ($6.49)

Rflagg

It is not a surprise the game is fun as hell. Everyone's golfers look better then mine. :( I will be back on later today with ps plus taken care of so I might try some online stuff. I have two questions I tried to make is easy to quote.

Is this slightly less then full screen?

I have small black bars around screen ps4 pro and 4k tv it that makes a difference.

I got pin hole clubs as a reward for a tournament, I think the name is correct anyways +3 to control, does anybody know if the power on these can go as high as standard?

w0s

NVM looks like other have it.

Having fun. Only got in a quick 9 this morning. Can't wait fore more.

bombshell

I have small black bars around screen ps4 pro and 4k tv it that makes a difference.

Have you aligned the display area to the corners of your screen? It's a display setting somewhere in the PS4 system settings.

Also before messing with that make sure that you have disabled overscan on your TV. (It can be called other things depending on your TV brand)

Heel

Have you aligned the display area to the corners of your screen? It's a display setting somewhere in the PS4 system settings.

Also before messing with that make sure that you have disabled overscan on your TV. (It can be called other things depending on your TV brand)

Yeah, check your system settings and/or TV settings, maybe? I have full screen display on my Samsung KS8000.

Played the first tournament this morning - Somehow finished 1st with +3

Started off strong but then sandtraps and trees decided to join in the fun.

Any tips are welcome, I'm pretty terrible at the game but want to get better.

EDIT: What kind of Pro support does this game offer? I see it was 60fps options and a standard option - but do either of those offer any sort of supersampling?

Rflagg

Yeah, check your system settings and/or TV settings, maybe? I have full screen display on my Samsung KS8000.

Thanks I will check tv settings first, but It is odd this is the only game were is isn't full screen.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
asked in the review thread but this is probably more suitable - if you play local MP, is there any way to bring in a player you created on a different PSN profile?

Griss

so as the game has become available and GAF is playing it, I'd like to ask...

some years back I was completely obsessed with Mario Golf for 3DS and I was hoping this game could be a suitable replacement.

how does this game fare compare to Mario Golf (3DS)?

if it isn't too much to ask, I'd be very grateful if the answer to this question would be more than "it blows Mario golf out of the water" or something like that, an in-depth comparison would be appreciated.

if I am a single player, is there enough fun to be had here?

I've played essentially every Mario Golf and Everybody's Golf game so I feel like I can field this one.

This game is extremely similar to Mario Golf. If you like Mario Golf for reasons other than the Mario IP itself you will love Everybody's Golf. The controls are essentially the same (except that the method of putting spin on the ball is slightly different between them - in Mario Golf you change the button you press to end your swing, in EG you hold a direction on the d-pad) and the things you need to pay attention to before the shot - distance loss in the rough; uphill / downhill lie; wind speed and direction; fliers etc - are all roughly equivalent between them.

The most major difference is in the course design - Mario Golf tends towards more simple holes tricked out with Mario-centric features, traps and obstacles. Everybody's Golf, despite the anime look, tends towards more intricate, realistic hole designs, though ones that become more difficult than what you'd see in real life by the time you reach the last course. I find the course design in Everybody's Golf massively superior, to be honest, and it's why I prefer this series.

Neither game has an extensive single player mode - you just enter tournaments to level up and unlock new courses. Which is enough for a golf game - you're really playing to beat your own scores or playing other people online, after all.

Everybody's Golf has a lot more levelling systems - in the past you levelled up a character to unlock more power shots and 'super spin' abilities which activate if you hit the pin. In this one, you create your own character and then level up each club in the bag as you hit good shots with it. I don't particularly like it as you need to grind to get a good set of clubs and start hitting good scores, but for those who like a sense of progression that'll really keep you satisfied.

That's about it, they're really, really similar. Couldn't recommend EG games enough to a Mario Golf fan.

Rbk_3

Glad I'm not alone on this, haha. I'll deal with the text bubbles in exchange for 60fps (my TV is not that great with motion handling on 30fps content in comparison, Samsung KS8000).

It is hard to not see, though. I can't see how they didn't notice. Hopefully they fix it.

Haven't noticed anything with the character animations, but haven't played much yet.

KS8000 here too. i was thinking the 60fps mode but now I don't know.

How is the HDR implementation?

N° 2048

Just smoked a bowl and am at the character creation. Female all the way, anytime I get the chance. This is gonna be fun, love this.

naib

NVM looks like other have it.

Having fun. Only got in a quick 9 this morning. Can't wait fore more.
3kiVeCY.jpg

Wish PS4 had wake on LAN. Didn't think to boot it this AM.
Off in 3 hours, then another 3 for PSN.

killroy87

Just chiming in to say a huge opportunity was missed with "Everybody's Golf |OT| You think you're some kind of Hot Shot?"

Otherwise, can't wait for the game! Glad to see it's reviewing well.

Only got a few games in last night.

Not happy to be back on traditional shot, but I can deal with that.

Why in the hell is PUTTING a 3 tick shot now?!?!?!

None of them I remember playing made putting like this, it was 2 hits.
That just seems silly.

Also it feels like they made the green movement markers much harder to see.

Ugh, my putting was the only reason I could get to top tier online tournaments.
I can't sink a putt now.

Liked the character creator and the layout of the game. I like the connected feel of Golf Island with other 'players' on the course playing to.

Get'sMad

Went ahead and caved and bought it on PS store instead of thinking I was gonna have to wait a week or 2. Not working today and of course my damn DL has come to a crawl.

I need this in my dang veins now damn it.

Only got a few games in last night.

Not happy to be back on traditional shot, but I can deal with that.

Why in the hell is PUTTING a 3 tick shot now?!?!?!

None of them I remember playing made putting like this, it was 2 hits.
That just seems silly.

Also it feels like they made the green movement markers much harder to see.

Ugh, my putting was the only reason I could get to top tier online tournaments.
I can't sink a putt now.

Liked the character creator and the layout of the game. I like the connected feel of Golf Island with other 'players' on the course playing to.

The question is, can we change it back?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
when you get a stat upgrade, is it a general one - like '1W +3 distance' which will apply to any club you equip, or is it attached to that specific club?

Because if you win/buy better clubs but they're back at square one regarding stats it'd be a bit of a pain.

anddo0

Game is pure fun. I couldn't ask for a better experience.
I love the dynamic music it really keeps things from getting stale.

v1lla21

The grind for upgraded clubs doesn't seem that bad though. In just two hours, like 40 minutes in character creation and running around, I leveled up some of my clubs quite a bit in both control and power.

Can't wait till I get home and play more.

The question is, can we change it back?

I don't think so. It seems they are making everyone play the same way this time without shot preference. Maybe it's to make it more even..I guess?

Lots of comments I've seen about not finding or unlocking any other shot method. Even if you could, I would hope they don't make you play 20 hours of the game with the shot style and then give you the option to change it.

Top Bottom