• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone OS 4 Event - April 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkgoo

If this doesn't come to iPad now, it'll trickle down. I guess that's the only real way it's going to impact me significantly. And maybe not even then.

I'm pretty content with not-multitasking at this stage, although that could change.

Piano

Banned
PSGames said:
:lol Keep telling yourself that.
I don't know about better or worse, but the navigation for multitasking and music controls on the lock screen they've implemented are very similar to Android.

Spy said:
Not joking, multitasking was the only thing other smartphones had going for them over the iPhone.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

gimmmick

Kano On The Phone said:
To the vast majority of consumers, it means absolutely nothing, yes.

If wasn't for the threat of android gaining more market share, we wouldn't be seeing any of these advances with the OS.

Spy said:
Not joking, multitasking was the only thing other smartphones had going for them over the iPhone.

I would think that the thing other phones had is that they were actually a good communication device first and a good gadget second.

The iphones actual "phone" abilities and notification system are total shit and in the end are what kept me from buying one.

3914.jpg

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
that fast-app switching API will make reading the news on the NYT and Guardian apps mucho useful.

LCfiner

The one thing that I was correct about in my predictions was that the multitasking would be limited in some way that would piss off people who prefer the Android method. :lol

all my other wishes about lock screen, wifi syncing and notifications seem to be way off

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
DoctorWho said:
Had to run back to work. Is Skype running in the background as well. Will you get instant notification of an incoming call in the background?
Yup.

DarkJC

fireside said:
Well considering multitasking will only be enabled in iPhone OS 4 and that's not coming out until summer what's the problem? Any app that needs multitasking will have it by then.

Exactly, there's a reason they announce the OS fairly far in advance of release.

njean777

finally multitasking hopes this comes to the ipad and ipod touch, will end a lot of peoples complaints about the ipad

Pctx

Banned
35 minutes in... hella good so far... and Steve is taking the stage again... WTF could be next??

FOLDERS?!!??!?! OMG.

Meier

Gizmodo blog says you have a custom notification so it sounds like a regular Skype ring. Does that mean we'll be able to have custom sounds for texts, etc. too?

Background task completion is really nice. I don't use Pandora but last.fm so hopefully they get that ready for launch of OS4.

RubxQub said:
Don't know.

The end result of this new method is apparently more efficient multi-tasking instead of some clunky form of multi-tasking.

Everyone benefits...and developers have to do minimal effort to make it work (1 day of dev for Pandora).

But not everyone does because you still rely on developers updating existing apps. The problem with introducing this method so far into the life cycle is a lot of stuff doesn't get updated. It's like introducing a new controller in the middle of a console lifespan, not everything is going to take advantage of it because developers aren't going to go back and patch their games to use it. Going forward sure, but that doesn't help the existing hundreds of thousands of apps. So it's not all positive and there is a negative aspect to it.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Did I miss how you choose to background apps or not background apps or something?

Kibbles

LCfiner said:
celebrity voice directions.

i would actually call that revolutionary.
Apparently Snoop Dog did something like this. I saw him talkinga bout it on Larry King Live. He said something like he was sick of hearing the lady talk to him and wanted to change it up so he offered his service to some GPS company or some crap.

noisome07

Banned
Jesse Jane said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

bro, you can stop now. pretty sure you've quoted that 2-3 times already.

sruckus

ha taking a que from categories, are we?

My main disappointment so far is from how skype showed a new call coming through - it looks like they didn't revamp the crappy notification system. Having those popup and cover each other doesn't work.

gimmmick said:
If wasn't for the threat of android gaining more market share, we wouldn't be seeing any of these advances with the OS.
If it wasn't for competition we'd see very little advance in any aspect of technology. I appreciate that you understand the most basic fact of capitalism.

Finally, folders.

I hope they're saving something innovative for the end. So far it's been catch up/safe assumptions.

Shock me, damnit.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Looks like each folder can only hold 9 apps.

...or not, nevermind.

Jasoco

Banned
FOLDERS? FINALLY! Now I can have all my games in one, other apps etc in others. Then just have all the folders on one main home screen instead of swiping through 8 pages.

FINALLY!

So far, they're only two tentpoles in and they've given me the two things I most wanted. Any news on what this will work on? Say, the 8GB iPod touch 2nd Gen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom