• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Sonic the Hedgehog (via 3D Classic)

Boogiepop

To start, a link to my other Sonic R/LTTPs:
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Shadow the Hedgehog
Sonic Heroes
Sonic 06
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Sonic and the Black Knight
Sonic 4: Episode 1
Sonic 4: Episode 2
Sonic the Hedgehog Game Gear
Sonic 2 Game Gear
Sonic Chaos
Sonic Blast
Sonic Labyrinth
Tails Adventure
Tails' Sky Patrol
Sonic Spinball Game Gear
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic Spinball Genesis
Sonic CD
Sonic Unleashed Wii
Sonic Unleashed HD
Sonic Colors DS
Sonic Generations 3DS

I looked to see if there was an official thread for this one, and I actually considered making more of a general thread about the 3D Classic version, but honestly this is more about the game itself. Though I'll get it out of the way by saying that the port is great, and the 3D looks pretty cool pretty much across the board, with Labyrinth Zone looking pretty weak, and Star Light Zone looking especially cool. And if people want to discuss the port, that's cool too I guess.

Anyway, prompted by me noticing the 3D Classics were coming out now, I decided to pick up Sonic 1 and take it upon myself to finally beat it with all the emeralds. I played the game a lot as a kid, and usually ended up stalling out somewhere mid-Spring Yard, very rarely hitting Labyrinth and never further. Probably some time 3-5 years back, I decided to finally beat it, which I actually did on my Genesis, which was neat. But I think I only managed to grab one or two of the emeralds.

So yeah, to focus on that: those things can be damn hard to get. The big problem is that you only get one try per stage, and only if you get 50 rings to the goal. I decided to cheat this by making a temp save before the special stages, because that is a serious, serious pain in the butt, and it's easy to go flying off a bumper into one of those balls that boot you out of the stage. Weirdly enough I actually had the hardest time with the first special stage, but yeah... those aren't quite as exciting as I remembered. Definitely prefer 2 and 3 style, where you get at least a halfway decent view of what's going on. And... the additional ending isn't much. But hell, I was doing it for the challenge anyway.

As for the main game itself, I still love it, but there's some definite issues with having to stand still for long periods of time, which can be boring. The biggest issue is of course, and will always be, goddamn Labyrinth Zone. Just a big ball of frustration and weird slowdown (some intentional, some definitely not). As a fun added bonus, I learned that you uncurl if you grab a bubble, which led to some serious accidental damage. And then they had to decide that THIS was the zone to give a repeat showing at the end of the game. Oh, and of course the final boss sucks. Boring design, boring battle. But still a fun little game overall, even if it was thoroughly topped by its sequels.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
The added Spin Dash in this (and Sonic Jam's) version doesn't seem to upset the balance at all, so I get to use it guilt free!
I've never beaten Sonic 1. Might have to use save states to accomplish this.

As an aside, I really, really like the music in the SMS/GG version of Sonic the Hedgehog, particularly the Bridge stage.

Boogiepop

Oh yeah, forgot in my main post: I have no idea how I never noticed this before, but man this game reuses a lot of geometry. Doesn't ruin the game or anything, but it's weird to see large chunks of identical areas here and there.

man you're a lot more forgiving of sonic 1 than i am, ahaha

last time i replayed it before the 3D classics version i got up to labyrinth zone and got game over'd on the IWBTG-ass random rising platform straight into spikes. just sorta went "FUCK THIS THIS GAME SUCKS" and quit, heh

i've been enjoying it a lot in my 3D classics replay, though!

omg_mjd

For some reason I could never get into the Sonic games. But I have some spare cash in my eShop account so I'm tempted to get this.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Still the best Sonic game. Less irritating difficulty curve than Sonic 2, less auto-pilot filler than S3K. Also has the best access method for the special stages since it rewards replay and perfecting your run, even if the actual special stages are kinda weak.

PowderedToast

fabulous game. like super mario bros it will forever be a joy to play.

i can't believe how well sega nailed everything. the game had no right to turn out as good as it did.

This is still my favorite Sonic game. It's the only one that never gets old after playing through it hundreds of times. That, and Sonic CD.

Top Bottom