• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 |OT| Featuring Shailene Woodley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toa TAK

Banned

Cast & Crew

Directed By: The Spectacular Mark Webb
Written By: Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci, and Jeff Pinker
Starring:
Andrew Garfield

Emma Stone

Jamie Foxx

Dane DeHann

Paul Giamatti

and Sally Field

Score Composed By:The Magnificent Zimmer Hans Zimmer & The Magnificent Six

Synopsis: After an incredibly grounded reboot celebrated by audiences and critics alike (calling it “the upper echelon of superhero movies”) featuring a giant talking lizard (but damn did they nail that romance), Peter Parker makes a promise to a dying man to stay away from his daughter, the woman Peter loves, to keep her from danger. He absolutely does this, because that’s what heroes do. Peter also tries to find out what happens to his parents, but like the audience, stops caring midway through the film. Now, returning with the panel by panel comic recreation of his costume, he slings into his new life as Spider-Man. But trouble is brewing in New York as Peter’s best friend Harry Osborn appears from nowhere and relationship troubles with Gwen begin. Truly, his greatest battle begins, and GAF will be divided once more.

Official Website
Spoiler Thread

Trailers:

What NeoGAF is saying:
Two friends told me it was meh. Said it was the McDonalds version of Spider man whatever the hell that meant
this movie's going to suck
I loved it. Probably my favourite Spidey yet but I need to see it a few more times to say for sure. There is a lot crammed in but most of it's crammed in successfully unlike SM3.
The script is amazing at magnifying the character problems of the first film. And I don't mean character conflicts.

TASC2

What the critics are saying:

What Marc Webb took too long to figure out:
"I'm going to embrace the spectacle," Marc Webb told fans at his South by Southwest keynote earlier today at the Austin Convention Center. "There was a moment deep in the [first film's] post-production process where a giant lizard smashed through a wall chasing a boy-man in a unitard and I said, 'This is not grounded. I'm not going to be beholden to smallness. I want it to be fantastic, to be big, to command and express that feeling when you're a kid and reading the comics. ... I didn't want to hide or shy away from that."
-Source

And Andrew Garfield asks the eternal question: Why can’t he be gay? With Michael B. Jordan?
“I was kind of joking, but kind of not joking about MJ,” he tells EW. “And I was like, ‘What if MJ is a dude?’ Why can’t we discover that Peter is exploring his sexuality? It’s hardly even groundbreaking!…So why can’t he be gay? Why can’t he be into boys?”
Garfield even has an actor in mind: “I’ve been obsessed with Michael B. Jordan since The Wire. He’s so charismatic and talented. It’d be even better—we’d have interracial bisexuality!” The star has clearly suggested a sexually flexible Spidey to his director, Marc Webb, as well. When EW later mentions the idea to Webb, the director says, “Michael B. Jordan, I know.” Oh, so he’s heard this too? “Uh, are you kidding?”

-Source

Ultimately, this movie, just like its predecessor, will be MUCH better than that overrated and hokey, Spider-Man 2. I mean jesus, that’s just not Spider-Man!!!!11

http://a.pomf.se/ikulpo.webm

G-Fex

OH BOY I CANT WAIT TO SEE WHAT SCULLI THINKS

It'll probably be lots better than S-M2 (Raimi version)

Goddamn that Spider-Man 2 trailer looks awful now. Are mid-00 marketing materials as embarassing to watch now as 80's trailers were in the late 90's?

NotLiquid

That has to be one of the lowest caps for an RT consensus I've ever seen, and only two top critics have weighed in.

Divius

Didn't feel strongly either way about the first one, but I'll watch this one day. Doubt it'll be as good as Spider-Man 2.

Pavaloo

solid ot - great job toa tak! edit: lol i thought it was fun and fitting for gaf

hopefully this movie will change my mind

thank god they ditched that "grounded realism" routine

oh is that with this thread going to be full of?

I should've known

we just need some more now.

The tone of the thread is practically an invitation for it. Doesn't bother me as this is the way it's been for years now, and it's all in good fun... as long as it stays in good fun...

XVvsK3b.jpg

Jesus

hal9001

Banned
Here's my impression/review:

The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Somewhere in this, I believe there is a really great film trapped inside but that might be hard to notice during some scenes that felt like they were ripped out of a Michael Bay film. Don't get me wrong, I had fun and enjoyed this film but I felt like it had wasted its potential to have been something really special. It does feel like a literal comic book come to life and the cinematography with its range of bright pop colours give it a unique look to that of many other films from this genre. Once again Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone steal the show with their stunning onscreen chemistry together. Dane DeHaan plays a great Harry despite the limited material and screen time given to him. It's here that I have the biggest problem with the film, in which everything felt so rushed and there was no time given to fully explore these characters and relationships. Harry's transformation from friend to villain was laughably too quick and should have been saved for the third film
just like Gwen's Death (which surprised me as I was sure they were going to do it in the next one)
. Electro should have been given the spotlight as the main villain (not just playing Urkel) and Peter's relationship with Harry/Gwen should have been given more time to be developed.

G-Fex

The tone of the thread is practically an invitation for it. Doesn't bother me as this is the way it's been for years now, and it's all in good fun... as long as it stays in good fun...

It's never in good fun lol.

It panders a little too much to the GAF hate (considering even some of the more garbage MCU films have more serious OTs, but it's not all that unfunny).

What GAF hate? Everyone and their mom loves the original SM2. There's only a few of us that don't.

jett

D-Member
This movie looks solid. I said to myself I wouldn't watch every comic book movie that comes out this year for a change but man it seems I will end up doing that anyway. :p

It's never in good fun lol.

Disagreements are always best when no blood is being drawn. I keep trying to have level-headed, in the now conversations about the new films but all people can seem to do is go BUT BUT RAIMI

Yeah, I loved those but it's in the past. They're there if I want to watch them, and I do because the first two are fucking awesome. But right now I kind of care about the new stuff I'm getting more because it's fresh and something new.

Me too. I can't help it. Just I will likely see Transformers 4.

I'm expecting Transformers 4 to be a fun movie about big robots and action. I demand nothing less. I think films should be what they are. I'd be weirded out if I watched a movie called Transformers: Age of Extinction and it ended up being a character study with philosophical tones.

Garfield is a douche

I thought he was pretty polite in the movie.

Toa TAK

Banned
Garfield is a douche

I want Tobey to come back as venom and cock smack Garfield with his symbiote penis
You also apparently want that Spider-Man movie to be rated R.

Quick thanks to everyone who liked the OT (especially to those who didn't, I feed off your energy the most). It's my first and I didn't want it to be boring, so if I missed anything else scandalous relating to the developments of ASM2 on GAF, let me know and I'll shoehorn it in like everything else.

#Raimi4eva

The Cowboy

God dammed trailers, i wish I'd never watched it - 1st/top god dam comment is a major spoiler.

Looks interesting based on the trailers, not a big fan of the 1st but i recon I'll hit the cheaper time at the cinema next week and watch this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom