• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP Yours - 06/13/08 - Line-up of legends

harSon

Banned
Ecto311 said:
Can't say I'm surprised. Every one says this mangod bullshit but he sucks, he is always so negative about anything that isn't Sony. I wish Sony would just hire him to clean toilets and get him out of these podcasts and anything to do with 1up.

This was a good podcast otherwise but is the new FM bullshit going to be clean? They said this was for the "kids" does that mean its toned down?

Don't forget, Star Ocean 4 was confirmed for the Playstation 3 after Microsoft's RPG event. And Tri-Ace is now a B-Studio not worthy of being Square Enix's towel boy.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
GhaleonQ said:
You read a lot of Tom Clancy novels, don't you? I love the Metal Gear series, but its storyline is completely nonsense, thematically hollow, and divorced from its gameplay, permanently. The reason that it takes place in an alternate history of the world is that every single theme or talking point Kojima wrote has been proved wrong, sometimes within the fabric of the game. Genetic engineering, the merits of pacifism (the Philosophers were who, again?), the fundamental corruption of national governments, nuclear deterrence, the lucrativeness of war? Kojima is clearly not paying attention to world affairs. How's it go, again? "War's no longer between nations, ethnicities, or ideologies"? Ooh, eerily prescient, Kojima! Too bad your ages-long development time caused Metal Gear Solid 4 to be released right in a massive worldwide resurgence of exactly that.

Er, no. That's "an economy," one where diversified sectors build products that people want and use their money to buy products from others doing the same thing. A "war economy," as Metal Gear Solid 4 says, is one where the vast bulk of the economy is used to fund a military state that crushes and absorbs other economies. No one's operating zaibatsu in 2008.

...I feel like you're not really grasping what Kojima is saying and how it is different from what you are saying.

It doesn't. Look at Shawn's questions in the comments section of N'Gail Croal's for-once-not-over-the-top article on Metal Gear Solid 4. The problem is that the fantasy undermines the obstensible themes. Tarkovsky's "Stalker" is a (kind of) science fiction story that doesn't.

this is a fantastic post. the first paragraph, in particular, had me dying laughing with how god damn true it is.

Durante

Gamer @ Heart said:
I have never wanted to hear T FROG more than on this podcasts. After watching the 1up show segment i feel he genuinly loves the game but has the mind set to see its flaws unlike almost everyone on this board right now.
It would be easier to see its flaws if it had some glaring ones. It's just so damn polished. (you have to realize that many people don't see "lots of cutscenes" or "complex (but effective) controls" as a flaw)

TTG

eznark said:
are you trying to say 1up your is for peasants?

Listen to this week's GFW to hear who it's for. :lol

Like I mentioned earlier the most obvious reason for why we don't hear a lot of in depth discussion about certain games is because they simply don't play them enough. I'll bet there will be no discussion on some of the later events that happen in GTAIV, they'll never get to that point... unless they're on the review.

That's fine though. I think most people just want to hear impressions as games come out and previews/news.

Durante said:
It would be easier to see its flaws if it had some glaring ones. It's just so damn polished. (you have to realize that many people don't see "lots of cutscenes" or "complex (but effective) controls" as a flaw)

But as Jeremy said however, toward the second half of the game (acts 3 and 5 specifically to me) the ratio of cut scenes to actuall gameplay is disturbing.

Are people genuinely offended by Shane calling people peasants for not liking MSG4? Like really, the guy who said "fuck you, fuck you", are you serious?

Pre

blame space said:
Are people genuinely offended by Shane calling people peasants for not liking MSG4? Like really, the guy who said "fuck you, fuck you", are you serious?

This is GAF, what do you expect?

eznark

Banned
blame space said:

I'm not offended. It's hilarious to me that he looks so far down his nose at people who don't share his opinion.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Maybe it's because I've been watching a lot of South Park lately, but I thought the peasant line was hilarious. :lol

RobertM

eznark said:
I'm not offended. It's hilarious to me that he looks so far down his nose at people who don't share his opinion.
In a polite way he could have said "not having the intellect" instead of peasants. I wouldn't even bother defending him if not for people not understanding MGS2 and shit on it for having a so called "convoluted" story. There were far greater things one could have noticed other than the story, the philosophy of things or the symbolism. But "peasants" are not capable of that, they only see the outside until proven otherwise, and criticize everything since that's the only thing they can do at the moment for they are "peasants".

aeolist

Banned
blame space said:
I'm more surprised that he displayed his irrational fanboy side so vividly. Never really seen him put on a display like this before, it was like the worst of the Internet in audio form.

mm04

aeolist said:
I'm more surprised that he displayed his irrational fanboy side so vividly. Never really seen him put on a display like this before, it was like the worst of the Internet in audio form.

Maybe you've forgotten his famous "Xbots am cry" after TGS on the 1UP show. I can't remember if it was 2 years ago or last year's. He took a lot of shit for that fanboy outburst. I remember well he toned down his act after that. I guess he's entitled to show his stripes every once in a while.

aeolist said:

I thought he was being much, much more rational than Garnett was being.

DuckRacer

Kintaro said:
Maybe it's because I've been watching a lot of South Park lately, but I thought the peasant line was hilarious. :lol
Same here. I don't think Shane was being completely serious with that line. There's other things you can nail the guy and his fanboyism with – that line isn't one of them, in my opinion.

Mrbob

Ryan Payton point on with his review comments.

I would say the negative backlash from the GTA4 encompassed many things. When you have many reviewers calling it the greatest video game achievement ever, expectations are raised so high that once a gamer gets it into his hands let down is almost inevitable. On top of this, and a bigger problem, are all the heavy rumors in the past of Rockstar attempting and succeeding at incentivizing certain magazines and/or websites at giving GTA reviews higher scores than they would have initially received.

Kintaro said:
I don't recall you being able to roll in GRAW. But yes, you can go prone and crawl. So, lets see. You push a button twice in MGS4 (or hold it) to go prone. You click the analog stick twice to go prone in GRAW. In both games, you hold a left shoulder button to aim in the stance and push a right shoulder button to fire.

Both games do the same thing to accomplish the same thing. MGS teaches you how to go prone almost right away by the way. Or, I dunno, can hit the virtual range to get used to the controls before starting. They give you the mode for a reason.

I've played a lot of Metal Gear and A LOT of shooters and action/adventure games, and after 2 hours I still feel completely uncomfortable with MGS4's controls. It's a weird hybrid of so many games but it doesn't have its own consistent feel. The buttons placement makes absolutely no sense and everything just feels so cumbersome.

The new controls with MGS1-3 level designs would be great, but in these new open levels with so much going on, no real radar, and so many enemies who can spot you, I just never feel totally in control like I want to be. Obviously, many people here have put a lot of time into the game and can play it very well, but it's just not intuitive at all for me so far.

And for comparison, I had a very, very short learning curve with GRAW and never felt like I was fighting the controls to do what I wanted to do, though to be fair, there was far less you could do in that game.

Tieno

Gamer @ Heart said:
I have never wanted to hear T FROG more than on this podcasts. After watching the 1up show segment i feel he genuinly loves the game but has the mind set to see its flaws unlike almost everyone on this board right now.
Yep, T Frog/Jeremy Parish is the man too, he had the most interesting criticism when Halo 3 launched too.

FartOfWar

Banned
RobertM said:
In a polite way he could have said "not having the intellect" instead of peasants. I wouldn't even bother defending him if not for people not understanding MGS2 and shit on it for having a so called "convoluted" story. There were far greater things one could have noticed other than the story, the philosophy of things or the symbolism. But "peasants" are not capable of that, they only see the outside until proven otherwise, and criticize everything since that's the only thing they can do at the moment for they are "peasants".

Read any wiki on MGS 2's plot in it's entirety and tell me it doesn't read like it was scrawled in human feces on the wall of a backwoods cabin.

FartOfWar said:
I'm sure I'll finish it tomorrow morning.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this coming GFW Radio.

As someone who values narrative and storytelling as much as you, your opinion on MGS4 should be very interesting (and likely to cause untold backlash).

Epiphyte said:
Do you consider it an indictment of the game that someone could play for several hours and still be totally confused as to the controls/HUD?
Well considering he didn't know you can shoot from the ground. NO!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Opus Angelorum said:
I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this coming GFW Radio.

As someone who values narrative and storytelling as much as you, your opinion on MGS4 should be very interesting (and likely to cause untold backlash).

Me too, especially in light of the whole "cutscene controversy" that the GDC podcasts caused here.

Gbeav

Banned
Garnett made no sense, how can he have guys in from the studio and argue about gameplay items he has no clue about.

FartOfWar said:
Read any wiki on MGS 2's plot in it's entirety and tell me it doesn't read like it was scrawled in human feces on the wall of a backwoods cabin.

What about the plot for MGS4? For me so far MGS3 was probably the story that was easiest to digest. But yeah MGS2 had a lot of errr wtf moments.

Dina

Listening to this podcast while not having a PS3 (and thus, MGS4) and no interest in MGS altogether is really painful. I just skipped to the 70 minute mark just to skip it all.

And really, just like the podcast with Bill Roper, having company people there if their game is being released around the same time the podcast is being released just isn't working for me. It turns the podcast into a commercial lovefest.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Cirekiller said:
What about the plot for MGS4? For me so far MGS3 was probably the story that was easiest to digest. But yeah MGS2 had a lot of errr wtf moments.

The thing with MGS4 is that the exposition is repeated at least twice, every time you meet a new character... and
even at the end, it's all explained to you once again by a certain character
. If anything, they beat you over the head with plot.

FartOfWar said:

Whoever wrote that wiki might have been trying to be too heavy handed with explaining the story. The story in MGS2, well, more the themes in MGS4, are all pretty obvious once you have played the game. The problem is the way in which all the information is given to you through long codec sequences. It is a simple story that was told in a poor way.

Ecto311 said:
This was a good podcast otherwise but is the new FM bullshit going to be clean? They said this was for the "kids" does that mean its toned down?

When Shane made the comment about kids, he was referring to the fact that Nick Suttner and I (the hosts of 1UP FM) are relative youngsters at 1UP. The show won't necessarily be cleaner than any other shows at 1UP, although there will probably be a lot less drunkenness, so that probably means less swearing/shouting overall. No promises, though.

Dina said:
And really, just like the podcast with Bill Roper, having company people there if their game is being released around the same time the podcast is being released just isn't working for me. It turns the podcast into a commercial lovefest.

Agree. Post-mortem is the way to go, not pre-release media tour.

Dina said:
Listening to this podcast while not having a PS3 (and thus, MGS4) and no interest in MGS altogether is really painful. I just skipped to the 70 minute mark just to skip it all.

Your kidding right? Don't assume. OK?

If you actually listened to the podcast Shane had more love for MGS4 then Ryan Payton. Ryan actually talked about other games, Sins of a Solar Empire and Ninja Gaiden.
Granted your entitled to skip the MGS4 segment since your not interested, but your doing it for the wrong reasons.

Hey everyone. I'd like to take a second to tell fans of the 1UP show that I've put together a new videogames podcast with 3 of my friends. It kind of has that GFW vibe a bit, and I even give GFW a couple of mentions (as well as videogame outsiders). Anyone with extra time for an explicit-tagged podcast can find the show here:

http://moofcast.libsyn.com

or

http://moofcast.libsyn.com/rss

Keep in mind its our first episode so we're only going to get better, but we're already really proud of it and I hope you guys like it. I made it for people like me that look forward to downloading shows like GFW, 1UP, Gamescoop, Evil Avatar, etc.

RyuHayate

Uno Ill Nino said:
Hey everyone. I'd like to take a second to tell fans of the 1UP show that I've put together a new videogames podcast with 3 of my friends. It kind of has that GFW vibe a bit, and I even give GFW a couple of mentions (as well as videogame outsiders). Anyone with extra time for an explicit-tagged podcast can find the show here:

or

Keep in mind its our first episode so we're only going to get better, but we're already really proud of it and I hope you guys like it. I made it for people like me that look forward to downloading shows like GFW, 1UP, Gamescoop, Evil Avatar, etc.

Listening right now and I like what I here. You guys have great radio voices.

RyuHayate said:
Listening right now and I like what I here. You guys have great radio voices.

Thanks so much. Its our baby and we're doing it every week, so its great to hear some early praises. I don't want to intrude on the 1UP thread anymore than I already have, so please lookout for the Moofcast thread I'm going to start up tomorrow. I want to catch the crowd that surfs while at work, otherwise I'd start it today.

And again, my apologies to 1Up for riding your coattails here.

voltron

Uno Ill Nino said:

or

lol @ "I even give GFW a couple of mentions". Whats that got to do with anything?

Not dissing your podcast or anything... Ill definitely download and have a listen later.

Girl gamer! cool

Edit: you guys sound cool man. You must have had some communication training?

Flavius

How many times does someone like Luke Smith have to pop into one of these threads and remind everyone that Shane is very much playing a role on the podcast?

Love him or hate him, he certainly knows how to stir the pot.

LukeSmith

firehawk12 said:
He must be on all the time because he basically said the same thing on the Bionic Commando podcast.

It's a character, a joke, a confection. Surely, no single human being could actually be that devoid of all logic and reason. It's provocative, it gets the people moving. Use your heads people!

stotch

Banned
LukeSmith said:
It's a character, a joke, a confection. Surely, no single human being could actually be that devoid of all logic and reason. It's provocative, it gets the people moving. Use your heads people!

Isn't the podcast also where they discussed in depth Crispin's Assassin's Creed review and Ubisoft's response? As well as the switch to letter grades? Maybe this particular review discussion was just a joke but it seemed like none of them were even there when the Ubisoft / letter grade things happened. Garnett has to become a social progressivist when writing his reviews or else he's doing it wrong? Edit: mixing messages ...

harSon

Banned
LukeSmith said:

In that case, he should get an Oscar for never breaking character.

TTG

harSon said:
In that case, he should get an Oscar for never breaking character.

proxyresizerphpoq2.jpg

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
blame space said:
I thought he was being much, much more rational than Garnett was being.
Garnett was clearly frustrated because all his criticisms were being answered with, "You haven't played the game enough." But some of the issues he was pointing out have been with the series since its inception. I was getting frustrated just listening. Shane is an important part of the podcast, but his personality can be too much to bear if someone doesn't take him down a few notches when he gets a little too full of himself, and the MGS devs were only inflating his ego.

I thought Garnett was going to strangle Shane when he mentioned he didn't pay attention to PMCs until he played MGS4. :lol

eznark

Banned
SapientWolf said:
Garnett was clearly frustrated because all his criticisms were being answered with, "You haven't played the game enough." But some of the issues he was pointing out have been with the series since its inception. I was getting frustrated just listening. Shane is an important part of the podcast, but his personality can be too much to bear if someone doesn't take him down a few notches when he gets a little too full of himself, and the MGS devs were only inflating his ego.

I thought Garnett was going to strangle Shane when he mentioned he didn't pay attention to PMCs until he played MGS4. :lol

I'm just hoping someone gives Shane a copy of Political Machine 2008 so that he can learn a bit about the political process.

mileS

So there pretty much isn't anyone posting in this thread besides Shawn banana riders and Shane haters.

If you hate the show so much why the fuck do you bother listening every week? Shawn is gone now so you might as well just stop listening right?

I know its NeoGAF but holy shit you people are hard to please when it comes to 1up Yours. The amount of people that think Ryan was there JUST to pimp MGS4 is kind of sad. Some of you clearly don't understand Ryan is good friends with lots of people on the 1up staff.

Flavius said:
How many times does someone like Luke Smith have to pop into one of these threads and remind everyone that Shane is very much playing a role on the podcast?

Love him or hate him, he certainly knows how to stir the pot.

Who cares if it's real Shane or Shane-in-character?

The problem is that Shane's podcasting persona in uninteresting and makes 1up Yours borderline unlistenable at times.

Top Bottom