• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Sandler's The Ridiculous 6 Netflix movie Trailer. Just in time for Oscar season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
a recent Wall Street Journal article had a source who claimed a 60 million dollar budget for this, 70 million for the upcoming Brad Pitt-starring 'War Machine'.

I think Netflix could have better used that money elsewhere, but I don't run a multi-billion dollar company, do I.

because they are going to make plenty of money off of it, the budget doesn't seem to have been very steep, and making this doesn't even come close to genuinely eroding the critical goodwill Netflix has gained.

Sandler alone is 20+ million. His movies are always grossly over budget due to his cost plus tagging along all his friends which this seems to be doing as well. We'll most likely never get full figures but it wouldn't surprise me if Netflix gained nothing from this deal.

Jakoo

I feel like Netflix is making this movie to pick up the type of audience that is against critically acclaimed things, aka, the types of rubes that still show up to these disastrous Adam Sandler joints.

big ander

Sandler alone is 20+ million. His movies are always grossly over budget due to his cost plus tagging along all his friends which this seems to be doing as well. We'll most likely never get full figures but it wouldn't surprise me if Netflix gained nothing from this deal.

Cost $60 mil, according to reports. We'll definitely never get full figures what with Netflix being so data-stingy, but that's a low enough number and apparently the netflix release model means a lot less revenue-sharing after release. seems likely to be profitable

a recent Wall Street Journal article had a source who claimed a 60 million dollar budget for this, 70 million for the upcoming Brad Pitt-starring 'War Machine'.

Ha, I was just about to ask about this. I was surprised how good that looked, production-wise. And how packed it is, talent-wise.

Was not expecting to see that kind of money. Netflix is handing out some serious budgets for these.

marrec

Banned
Adam Sandler as Tommy
Will Forte as Will Patch
Taylor Lautner
Steve Buscemi as Doc Griffin
Danny Trejo as Cicero
Terry Crews
Luke Wilson as Danny
Nick Nolte as Frank Stockburn
Rob Schneider as Ramon
Steve Zahn as Clem
Jorge Garcia as Herm
Nick Swardson
Chris Parnell as Bank Manager
Jon Lovitz
Whitney Cummings as Susannah
Norm MacDonald
Blake Shelton as Wyatt Earp
Lavell Crawford as Lavall Patch
Vanilla Ice as Mark Twain
Dan Aykroyd
David Spade as General Custer
Dan Patrick as Abraham Lincoln
John Turturro as Abner Doubleday
Harvey Keitel
Lenda Murray

surprised at some of the cast
lol @ Vanilla Ice

What a sausage fest.

AdanVC

Well looks like it's going to be fun and it has a nice cast. I just hope they don't use cringeworthy comedy like recent Sandler movies... they will use cringeworthy comedy like recent Sandler movies isn'it?

Nialrot

rEnPrbz.png

Thank you for this! lol

Tobor

I think Netflix could have better used that money elsewhere, but I don't run a multi-billion dollar company, do I.

I don't see any reason to doubt Netflix knows what it's doing at this point. They know exactly what their audience is watching and have the best audience metrics in the world. They know how many people are watching a movie, how many are watching the whole movie, and how many turn it off after 10 minutes.

If anyone wants to place blame, place it on all the people watching Adam Sandler movies on Netflix.

jstripes

Banned
Well. That doesn't look nearly as bad as all the recent garbage he's put out.

Maybe it's because he's playing a character other than a dullard, middle-aged manchild for a change?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Stuff like Jack & Jill and Pixels made me angry, but for some reason this one doesn't. Maybe since nobody's really "paying" to see it? Or maybe I'm just blinded by my fondness for westerns and Will Forte.
Possibly. How much does a Netflix exclusive show/movie make compared to what it would get on normal TV/the Box Office?

Also did you like A Million Ways to Die in the Old West? Which is what I immediately thought of when I read this. Another western comedy. Would you rather have Seth McFarlane making modern pop culture references or Adam Sandler making fart jokes?

Seesaw15

Looks ok. Maybe it will be Don't Mess with the Zohan quality. I like Sandler when he's playing characters> rich everyman who has a minor problem.

Weetrick

Why would Netflix spend money on this? ...You were doing so good

I can't believe anybody could watch that and think it's funny or feel compelled to watch this? What. The. Fuck!

Adam Sandler movies make obscene amounts of money and are relatively cheap to make.

way more

Adam Sandler as Tommy
Will Forte as Will Patch
Taylor Lautner
Steve Buscemi as Doc Griffin
Danny Trejo as Cicero
Terry Crews
Luke Wilson as Danny
Nick Nolte as Frank Stockburn
Rob Schneider as Ramon
Steve Zahn as Clem
Jorge Garcia as Herm
Nick Swardson
Chris Parnell as Bank Manager
Jon Lovitz
Whitney Cummings as Susannah
Norm MacDonald
Blake Shelton as Wyatt Earp
Lavell Crawford as Lavall Patch
Vanilla Ice as Mark Twain
Dan Aykroyd
David Spade as General Custer
Dan Patrick as Abraham Lincoln
John Turturro as Abner Doubleday
Harvey Keitel
Lenda Murray

Damn, that is one awesome cast. I wish we could see them in something not so dumb.

way more

Well it doesn't look cheap. I thought this was a budget thing but the trailer dismisses that idea.

Weetrick

No they're not.

Sandler literally uses filming a movie as an excuse to take all his friends on an expensive vacation.

But they are very profitable.

Huh, I guess I'm wrong. They seem to average about $80 million budget, which is high for comedies like these.

But to answer the original question, they make ~$200 million which is why Netflix funded this.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Is this supposed to be like blazing sandler for dummies?

I'm kind of surprised he was able to get guys like Keitel though. If I watch it I would do so for guys like him, trejo and crews.

Why would you want to watch people you like debase themselves?

Ridley327

Schneider must've kissed some serious ass to not only get back in Sandler's inner circle, but to be one of the featured players. I guess Sandler isn't one to hold down a grudge for long.

So I'm having trouble picking out actual attempts at comedy in this trailer. It's not that it's even done poorly (which it is), it's that I barely see a handful of things that seem like they're supposed to be humorous.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
John Turturro being in this legitimately upsets me, even though I know he's been in other Sandler garbage before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom