• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Sandler's first Netflix movie 'Ridiculous 6' sounds horrible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpyduck

Banned
I'll watch it. I'm not going to lie to you people, I'll probably watch it.

It's on Netflix. So yeah, I'll watch it too and hope that there's at least one memorable stupid scene like this:

there-s-a-raft-in-there-you-say-o.gif

we know why he does this

his best movies were the worst performing at the BO. his worst are his best. He is doing what the audience wants

Yeah, you can't even blame him at this point. It's clear that audiences just want dumb poop jokes. I wish I didn't live in a world where Grown Ups was able to get a sequel green-lit but here we are.

Kaladin

Why would Netflix do this?! They must know Sandler's reputation, and his films aren't all that popular at the box office any more either.

Because even though his movies aren't as popular in box office, people are still interested in seeing them, and it will get views.

I'm PVRing I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry, not because I think it'll be good, but because it'll be something to turn my mind off with at 3am. That said, considering how horrible I've heard it is, I'm considering cancelling it altogether.

I like Kevin James, and classic Sandler, but I avoid all of Sandler's more recent stuff.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Contrary to the thread title, this actually sounds interesting. It'll probably be shit, but it sounds interesting. Vanilla Ice as Mark Twain sounds like a unique spin that I'm sure I'll love only because of Ninja Turtles 2: Secret of the Ooze.

But I think the real story here is that there will be a Joe Dirt 2.

Weetrick

Bumping this thread because I saw this article floating around social media today:

Native Actors Walk off Set of Adam Sandler Movie After Insults to Women, Elders

Approximately a dozen Native actors and actresses, as well as the Native cultural advisor, left the set of Adam Sandler’s newest film production, The Ridiculous Six, on Wednesday. The actors, who were primarily from the Navajo nation, left the set after the satirical western’s script repeatedly insulted native women and elders and grossly misrepresented Apache culture.

The examples of disrespect included Native women’s names such as Beaver’s Breath and No Bra, an actress portraying an Apache woman squatting and urinating while smoking a peace pipe, and feathers inappropriately positioned on a teepee.

Among the actors who walked off the set were Navajo Nation tribal members Loren Anthony, who is also the lead singer of the metal band Bloodline, and film student Allison Young. Anthony says that though he understands the movie is a comedy, the portrayal of the Apache was severely negligent and the insults to women were more than enough reason to walk off the set.

“There were about a dozen of us who walked off the set,” said Anthony, who told ICTMN he had initially refused to do the movie. He then agreed to take the job when producers informed him they had hired a cultural consultant and efforts would be made for tasteful representation of Natives.

“I was asked a long time ago to do some work on this and I wasn't down for it. Then they told me it was going to be a comedy, but it would not be racist. So I agreed to it but on Monday things started getting weird on the set,” he said.

Anthony says he was first insulted that the movie costumes that were supposed to portray Apache were significantly incorrect and that the jokes seemed to get progressively worse.

"We were supposed to be Apache, but it was really stereotypical and we did not look Apache at all. We looked more like Comanche," he said. "One thing that really offended a lot of people was that there was a female character called Beaver's breath. One character says 'Hey, Beaver's Breath.' And the Native woman says, 'How did you know my name?'"

“They just treated us as if we should just be on the side. When we did speak with the main director, he was trying to say the disrespect was not intentional and this was a comedy.”

"The producers just told us, 'If you guys are so sensitive, you should leave.'" —Alison Young

“I hope they will listen to us," Hill said. "We understand this is a comedy, we understand this is humor, but we won’t tolerate disrespect. I told the director if he had talked to a native woman the way they were talked to in this movie—I said I would knock his ass out.”

Sounds like a real winner of a movie.

AkuMifune

Banned
Sounds like a real winner of a movie.

Adam Sandler is fucking toxic. I would say this cements the fact how out of touch and unfunny dude has become, but I forget his movies still make money.

I think even Jack and Jill made a profit. What the fuck? I think in the early 90's it was considered "funny" to be racist and homophobic, but while society grew up he got worse.

0423-sub-adam-sandler-loren-anthony-instagram-4.jpg

AkuMifune

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";161321638]So... he's not toxic?[/QUOTE]

Oh he's toxic, but apparently some people still find it funny.

Simple supply and demand folks

I'm pretty sure Sandler could make decent movies if he started giving fucks again, but why would he when all of the movies he tried on, flopped.

The people want bullshit, he should keep feeding them bullshit.

toohectic

Dan Aykroyd is a Happy Madison regular?!? He was in 50 First Dates and that's all I remember. Am I forgetting some of his roles?

inky

Kaladin

Anthony says he was first insulted that the movie costumes that were supposed to portray Apache were significantly incorrect and that the jokes seemed to get progressively worse.

"We were supposed to be Apache, but it was really stereotypical and we did not look Apache at all. We looked more like Comanche," he said. "One thing that really offended a lot of people was that there was a female character called Beaver's breath. One character says 'Hey, Beaver's Breath.' And the Native woman says, 'How did you know my name?'"

What do you expect from Adam Sandler?

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Finally an Akira Kurosawa adaptation that respects and honours his memory.

Son Of D

we know why he does this

his best movies were the worst performing at the BO. his worst are his best. He is doing what the audience wants

ELNmvqD.png

I had no idea Waterboy and Big Daddy were so big. I mean I knew they were hits but damn.

Why would Netflix do this?! They must know Sandler's reputation, and his films aren't all that popular at the box office any more either.

His films are popular with the rental crowd. Trust me, I worked in Blockbuster when Jack and Jill released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom