• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Arrow' star Stephen Amell is going to wrestle at SummerSlam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephzilla

I was disappointed he wasn't actually billed as Green Arrow and didn't have slightly more elaborate ring gear. But honestly, Amell was super impressive by celebrity standards and he was acceptably solid even by normal wrestling standards. I would be 100% okay if they extend the Stardust/Amell feud and lead it into a 1 on 1 match.

Sephzilla

¡HarlequinPanic!;176368299 said:
that puts him what, below Mayweather but above LT?

I really liked him, he jumped across half of the ring when he first got in~

I actually think I'd put Amell above Mayweather. Mayweather had way more swag but Amell's match was better in my opinion. Amell's match also didn't have Big Show, which helped.

joelseph

I was disappointed he wasn't actually billed as Green Arrow and didn't have slightly more elaborate ring gear. But honestly, Amell was super impressive by celebrity standards and he was acceptably solid even by normal wrestling standards. I would be 100% okay if they extend the Stardust/Amell feud and lead it into a 1 on 1 match.

You could tell in the promo opener that the outfit was much "greener" in the drawings. Probably came down to a rights issue and they came as close as they could legally come to the Green Arrow attire. Good match, Amell could go.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
How good is Neville by todays standards? I don't think I've seen anyone as agile in wrestling before (just going by that match).

Very good in the ring, everything else is a curse from god.

ZeroX03

Banned
Amell was fantastic, but Neville was like lightning.

Amell needs a more lightweight version of the hood to wrestle in though. His current one is heavy leather and not something to fight in.

andycapps

I'd recommend signing up for the network and starting with NXT Takeover Brooklyn, and Summerslam. WWE tends to have two paths: one for WM, one for Summerslam. Lots of story lines are starting new tonight on Raw now that Summerslam is over. NXT is WWEs minor league system. But it's actually way better than the main product. Sasha vs. Bayley is my match of the year, easily.

Also, hop over to WrassleGaf in off topic community. Always welcoming new members, lots of fun convos, and we'd be more than happy to offer some recommendations on the network. A lot of good stuff on there.

I think I just might do this. Thanks for the tips.

NastyBook

Enjoyed the match. He could've gone a bit longer, but boy did he take an ass whooping (Cosmic King laid it on him).

Stardust yelling "Back him up!" after Amell Sparta'd him was hilarious.

Penguin

I thought he was one of the best celebrity involvements in the match.

He did enough to be impressive, but not enough where it damaged either Wade or Stardust.
He didn't score the pinfall which always helps.

And he looked legit winded after his match which only goes to show it isn't easy.

He could work on his selling. There were times he just fell like a sack

He did a good job.

Obviously being a celeb they where not going to let him take proper bumps and actually "go" in the ring but he took a few slaps and jumping from the top rope aint no joke.

He gave a shit. More then you can say for most guests on WWE programming.

Sephzilla

I thought he was one of the best celebrity involvements in the match.

He did enough to be impressive, but not enough where it damaged either Wade or Stardust.
He didn't score the pinfall which always helps.

And he looked legit winded after his match which only goes to show it isn't easy.

He could work on his selling. There were times he just fell like a sack

Yeah, that was the only real issue I saw in him. His selling wasn't bad but could have improved.

He did a good job.

Obviously being a celeb they where not going to let him take proper bumps and actually "go" in the ring but he took a few slaps and jumping from the top rope aint no joke.

He gave a shit. More then you can say for most guests on WWE programming.

Wot
He took the entire heat segment
Barrett beat his ass and Cody dropped him right on his face

Wot
He took the entire heat segment
Barrett beat his ass and Cody dropped him right on his face

I should maybe watch it again.

My memories of that match are of Amell jumping into the ring and doing a few moves back and forth with stardust and getting slapped around by Barrett.

Not saying he wasnt taking punishment and giving his all. Just that the punishment he was taking was more punches and kicks and not more dangerous to untrained people stuff like suplexes and slams. I

shaowebb

Nice springboard and backflip from Amell. Oversells by falling over a bit too easy though. Noticed they didn't allow for him to perform any lifts aside from a hiptoss which you generally just feed an arm into in the ring. Good idea by management there. Its his first time and if he got excited and moved too fast he might have a lift botched due to going before the other guy could push off him or get situated. It'd suck if he'd gone for a lift and dropped someone prematurely too before they could tuck.

Overall, I think the WWE coached this very smartly. Do some leaps, a couple of strikes and just show off you are agile out there. No wrestling, just play it safe and play up your striker look from Arrow by jumping and kicking and diving. They even setup a ring intro spot where Stardust springboarded in and then Amell did the same but went much further. Nice one there. Plus the shove fest resulted in a good setup to have Amell show off a Kip up.

One of the better celebrity showings. Honestly I'd like it if this led into Pac adopting a vigilante gimmick in the WWE targeting heels who "have failed this company". He'd only need to say one line, have a flashy looking outfit with a hood and he's set. No need to go full "Hurricane" with the gimmick either. Just give him a neat hoodie sleeveless and have him show up like Sting and then charge folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom