• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus JP puts up Persona related teaser site counting down to November 24

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Whatever it is... confirmed for PlayStation...

https://twitter.com/yosp/status/403015567499464704

Now the question is... PSVita, PS3 or PS4?

PSP.

Yoshida know how important the Persona saga is... and if it wasn't a PlayStation game, would be very dissapointing for the fans, so he wouldn't retweet knowing is a WiiU or a 3DS game. And he knows what is all about for sure.

That doesn't mean it couldn't be multiplatform, and even in those cases it's not uncommon for a particular platform to have a special marketing deal. Would not be surprised to see a PS3 only release in Japan and then a multiplat release in the US.

Velcro Fly

Well if it's PS3 I'm going to have to buy one on black friday then. Or maybe wait an extra 18-24 months for the probable Vita port =/

maltrain

That doesn't mean it couldn't be multiplatform, and even in those cases it's not uncommon for a particular platform to have a special marketing deal. Would not be surprised to see a PS3 only release in Japan and then a multiplat release in the US.

Of course, could be multiplatform. Personally, I don't really care about exclusives while the games are on the consoles I prefer.

XiaNaphryz

If persona 5 is on ps4, I will be a satisfied man

lol, it probably would have a better chance coming out on the 3DS than the PS4 at this point. If Atlus had trouble developing on PS3/360, what makes anyone think they could just jump on PS4 development fine?

The very first time a next Persona game was ever mentioned by the developers was in a Dengeki PlayStation interview on March 24, 2010.

I'm not taking a stance either way, I'm just saying that that tweet confirms nothing.

I fully expect someone to make a thread about that tweet and get the hype train going again. More fodder for next gen launch platform wars.

lol, it probably would have a better chance coming out on the 3DS than the PS4 at this point. If Atlus had trouble developing on PS3/360, what makes anyone think they could just jump on PS4 development fine?

because "ps4 development" is going to mean "ps3 assets in 1080p" for japan

Squire

Banned

Because it's been reported by basically every developer who's touched it to be much easier to develop for?

It probably isn't on PS4; Difficulty of development on the platform is certainly not why though.

Neoxon

I'm not expecting anything, just saying I would be pretty damn happy
Oh, fair enough.

Though my point still stands. Atlus is just getting the hang of the PS3. Why would they immediately jump to the PS4 this soon, especially with how late they released P3 & P4 in the PS2's life span.

XiaNaphryz

Because it's been reported by basically every developer who's touched it to be much easier to develop for?

Which doesn't necessarily mean it's automatically super easy either. I've seen PS4 development upfront at my former workplace. Also don't forget that a lot of those developers talking about it have a whole generation of experience that you can't really say Atlus has beyond Catherine so you can't really make any assumptions that PS4 development wouldn't be difficult for them.

Shengar

Oh, fair enough.

Though my point still stands. Atlus is just getting the hang of the PS3. Why would they immediately jump to the PS4 this soon, especially with how late they released P3 & P4 in the PS2's life span.

So far, Atlus HD outpus is only Catherine right? Since P4A developed mainly by Arc System Work, I don't think that really count as Atlus'. But heck, Catherine is damned good in all aspect even though it is Atlus first HD game.

VXLbeast

That's definitely not true. A PS4 port (which is the same game running in 1080p) paid for by Sony for the PS4 launch is not impossible, although not likely.

It would probably come out on the 360 right? with catherine being the pilot project for the engine on the 360

A 360 port for the US wouldn't surprise me at all, but seems unlikely for Japan.

XiaNaphryz

That's definitely not true. A PS4 port (which is the same game running in 1080p) paid for by Sony for the PS4 launch is not impossible, although not likely.

You could say that about any platform. If Nintendo really wanted a Wii U version, they could do the same thing. :p

Given the financial issues with Index over the past year, I don't know if Sony would risk putting money into something like that since there would be a chance that whoever ended up buying Atlus could decide to shut everything down and use the IP for other things.

Squire

Banned
Which doesn't necessarily mean it's automatically super easy either. I've seen PS4 development upfront at my former workplace. Also don't forget that a lot of those developers talking about it have a whole generation of experience that you can't really say Atlus has beyond Catherine so you can't really make any assumptions that PS4 development wouldn't be difficult for them.

Fair enough. I don't claim to have perspective to that extent. I still think they'd be fine working on PS4 though. I don't have a good reason to doubt that.

cj_iwakura

Atlus are wizards. We've never gotten a current gen RPG from them. Consider that.

I wouldn't want anything but a PS3 game from them.

Persona 4 was such a drastic improvement over P3. I hope they continue with the improvement made. Besides the gameplay stuff, Persona 3 was just full of hateable characters.

Also, P4 had realistic situations. With P3, shit got too heavy while advancing the social links. Like, at level 1 they are like "gee whiz, I don't know if I'm fast enough to win the big race!" and by Level 7 they were like "...My step-dad is molesting my little brother, but I don't know what to do because my mother has cancer and needs his financial support to survive." I mean, come on! This isn't stuff you lob at a dude you've known a week.

Plus, the social links were so finicky. They'd be like "MC, I don't know how to feel about myself." and your choices would be like:

1. That's okay, we all feel like that sometimes.
2. You should feel like a stupid whore, because that's how I feel about you.
3. You are about to feel my palm across your face if you don't shut up.

And you'd pick 1, and they'd be like "I never asked for your sympathy! I hate you!" Next thing you know, your card is upside down.

Stuff like this didn't happen in 4.

Soriku

A 360 port for the US wouldn't surprise me at all, but seems unlikely for Japan.

Both Catherine and P4A released on the 360 in Japan. If they don't make a 360 version that will be released in Japan, they likely won't make a 360 version at all...

Most likely P5 will be on PS3 because they've been working it for years now and started it after Catherine, their first HD game. It would be really strange if they didn't have a current gen version, especially considering Atlus has only made one internally developed HD game, so what's the likelihood of them making P5 next gen only? It's not like Atlus is SE and was willing to move Versus to next gen after working on it for a while.

I bought a Vita just to play P4G, so I'd probably do something similar with a PS3. I just don't want to :p Hopefully it's on PS4/Vita.

Same, got my Vita just for P4G and it was totally worth it. Not letting go of my PS3 cause of the huge game library and I don't want to get a PS4 yet... I want to hold out until there's a "must own" gaming masterpiece on it.

This would be one of the few games that would qualify.

Velcro Fly

Yeah I'm in the same boat about buying a PS3. I figure if this is on PS3 I'll make the best of it since I never really had a PS3 or 360. Plenty of other games I'm interested in on PS3 so it will turn out like when I got a Vita for P4G. Plenty to play. PS+ will make it easier too.

Soriku

In other news Im surprised shin megami 4 hasnt gotten a vita port

Why? It's not like Nocturne or Strange Journey got ported.

Edit:

oh didnt realise that...so I guess the spinoffs are sorta Playstation franchises while the main series is Nintendo?

It's mainly Persona on Sony platforms, everything else Megaten (SJ, SMT IV, Devil Survivor, Soul Hackers) on Nintendo.

EMT0

Banned
oh didnt realise that...so I guess the spinoffs are sorta Playstation franchises while the main series is Nintendo?

Well, mainline MegaTen and Devil Survivor lean Nintendo, off the top of my head. Someone throw in some more if they can think of any.

Clov

PS3, PS4, and PS Vita would be epic. Cross buy anyone?

This is the best scenario to me. PS consoles still get their game on a big TV, and I still get my game portable, on that nice Vita OLED screen. I've played most of my Persona games on portables, so it's just so hard imagining playing Persona on a console now.

There was that action rpg series and nocturne on PS2

The Raidou games and the Digital Devil Saga games were on the PS2, yes. But that was the past. Now, it seems as though both mainline SMT and most of its spinoffs have found a new home on Nintendo's portables, while Persona seems likely to stay on Playstation platforms.

VXLbeast

PS3, PS4, and PS Vita would be epic. Cross buy anyone?

Epic indeed, but I highly doubt Atlus would do cross buy (seemed adverse to it with Dragon's Crown, although that could be special circumstances). And I highly doubt it's all three anyways. Seems like they would save the Vita sku for a rerelease somewhere down the line. Or maybe save the PS4 for the same thing. Either way, I bet it's one console. Could be two. Probably won't be three.

XiaNaphryz

They should be fine with the PS4 since it's way easier to work with than the PS3.

The 360 was way easier to work with as well, yet some Japanese developers still had trouble getting used to working on it. :p

From discussions with other game devs over the years, I think a lot of it has to do with western devs being more used to a more PC style development pipeline, which something like the 360 and PS4 are closer to, as western devs generally had more past experience there to begin with. Japanese developers had to get used to that last gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom