AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

So I learnt some important lessons today.

1. JB are liars.
2. EB are liars.
3. Game are liars.

Here's what I was going to do:
Trade in UC3 for MW3 on 360 at JB. Then return MW3 to EB seeing as I bought MW3 there last week on the 7 day return. Further, I would have returned the unused game. Thus, no fraud, no lies, no ethical dilemma at all. I still would have had my original MW3.

Here's what happened:
"Hello, I would like to trade Uncharted 3 for MW3 on 360"
"No"
"Why?"
"It has to be for the same system"

Despite there being no mention on any exclusion list on JB's website. Plans shattered!

So I check out EB - they offer $31 trade "value" for it. Game offer $70, but then change it to $50 depending on what game I trade it in for. Hooray for non-specific answers to specific questions.

Also, EB's carrot reward scheme has a stick to it - aside from shopping there - and that is the bonus trade credit (one off $5 and $10 extra) doesnt apply if you foolishly go for the GI sub.

So yeah, I'm slightly annoyed.

Moral of the story: don't believe any Australian retailer unless they post in AusGAF or are individually AusGAF certified.

Also, I've now resolved on one principle for buying games that advertise themselves as being "movie-like". That is, movie like games are bought at movie ticket like prices. $20 tops.

Who wants to swap for Uncharted 3 with me? :(
 
Whelp LOGS failed me finally. I ordered a Nathan Drake LBP keychain for $5 and I just received in the mail a Resistance LBP keychain! I already bought one of those like 2 months ago! Time to see how good their customer service is.

ClivePwned said:
Fred, RepScorp
budget is as little as possible- I'm aiming for under 1k. Less would be better because it eats into my savings earmarked for a possible trip to America next year
CM 690 II Advanced
HAF 912

Both are $115 and have front USB 3.0 ports if you are into that kind of thing.

ASUS p8z68-v LX for $139 (no front USB 3.0 support)
ASUS p8z68-v LE for $155
Motherboards seem to be a big market. Asrock are apparently really good at the moment too but I only researched ASUS when I was looking.

Corasir HX-650 PSU for $139. Modular so much easier to fit everything.

If you live in a capital city go check out a local MSY and see what their prices are like as I have found them to be the cheapest down this way. Otherwise postage from PCCG is around $35 usually.
 
RandomVince said:
Also, I've now resolved on one principle for buying games that advertise themselves as being "movie-like". That is, movie like games are bought at movie ticket like prices. $20 tops.
But when you buy a movie ticket you can't take the movie home and watch it as many times as you want or trade that movie in towards another one or sell it on ebay ;)

Sell your copy on ebay dude! Or go to the Trading thread!
 
RandomVince said:
Here's what happened:
"Hello, I would like to trade Uncharted 3 for MW3 on 360"
"No"
"Why?"
"It has to be for the same system"
Youre right, they don't mention that stipulation anywhere and it sounds like bullshit you could have gotten around by standing your ground.
 
RandomVince said:
So I learnt some important lessons today.

1. JB are liars.
2. EB are liars.
3. Game are liars.

Here's what I was going to do:
Elaborate trade in story :(
The moral to this story is: Don't.Trade.Games. You never get your moneys worth.
 
ClivePwned said:
budget is as little as possible- I'm aiming for under 1k. Less would be better because it eats into my savings earmarked for a possible trip to America next year
I know this wasn't aimed at me, but I like whipping up PC's. I cannot for the life of me get it any cheaper and feel that it's worth gaming on and as future-proof as possible. Corners can of course be cut in some areas, but the savings are relatively small compared to what is lost.



That's omitting HDD's and DVD drives as they can be carried over (at least temporarily) I would assume. Also, with HDD prices as they are at the moment, it really isn't worth it (they're double the usual price).
 
I'm glad I picked up my SSD before the floods hit.

Anyway I finally managed to tear myself away from Skyrim and am now PROPERLY writing my notes. Cross my fingers that I don't end up booting it up tonight anyway. :T
 
That's a nice build, and I've always considered $1200 the sweet spot, but you can get a functional gaming machine for less than $1000 I reckon. 690 II instead of Fractal case, 560ti instead of 570, Hyper 212+ instead of Noctua, Asrock instead of Asus mbd. I'll do one up shortly.
 
I assume the Battlefield 3 MP is a lot better than the SP as so far it is beautiful but boring. The sound effect are pretty great though once you get the chance to fire a gun. Mechanics are a bit clunky though. Another game where you have to wait for someone to go through a door first. Dialogue is on Bad Company level.

If I was going to get a card right now it would be a MSI 560Ti, Twin Frozr II or III. Not enough of a step up from my 460 though, which is still powering through games on High anyway.

Also why get the upper RAM? Don't you have to overclock the RAM to those speeds and it makes no difference barely. Just grab the cheapest version of that RAM at 1333Mhz.

As Fred said the 212+ is only $33 and is all you will need if you aren't going to 5Ghz or something.

teekun said:
Youre right, they don't mention that stipulation anywhere and it sounds like bullshit you could have gotten around by standing your ground.
They did in the past but I couldn't find anything stipulating it this time. In any case they have the right to not accept any trade they want. Their defence can be as bullshit as saying they thought you had stolen it or something.
 

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Laaaawwwwwl, The Sun. Red Backs are child's play.
 

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
But the first requirement would be owning inFamous 2 (terribad Sony IP), and the second requirement would be wanting Modern Warfrare 3 (terribad Activision game).

Why would I do this to myself DeathJr? Why?
 
RandomVince said:
So I learnt some important lessons today.

1. JB are liars.
2. EB are liars.
3. Game are liars.

Who wants to swap for Uncharted 3 with me? :(

Too bad, you're stuck with that 7/10 game forever.

I guess it's just Perth JB's that won't trade in, here in Melbourne they're swapping cross-platforms without any issues. Perhaps you can post your UC3 to someone here and they can trade it for MW3/AC:R.
 
EatChildren said:
But the first requirement would be owning inFamous 2 (terribad Sony IP), and the second requirement would be wanting Modern Warfrare 3 (terribad Activision game).

Why would I do this to myself DeathJr? Why?

Ahem. Infamous 2 is actually very good. Even better than the first one.

I wouldn't care for MW3 at full retail, but at half price it was worth it + my housemates love it so it gives them something to play (splitscreen).
 
Once again the AusGAF Steam Group hasn't made it the OP so I'm doing a little spruiking (although I guess everyone knows about it, this is more for any new people's benefit).


The AusGAF Steam Group and AusGAF Steam Chat

Fancy idling with a bunch of other AusGaffers while not playing games? Head on over to your Steam client and join the fantastically unorganised AusGAF Steam Group and AusGAF Steam Chat, where all your hopes of never playing another game again will be fulfilled!​
 
Frawdder said:
Once again the AusGAF Steam Group hasn't made it the OP so I'm doing a little spruiking (although I guess everyone knows about it, this is more for any new people's benefit).


The AusGAF Steam Group and AusGAF Steam Chat

Fancy idling with a bunch of other AusGaffers while not playing games? Head on over to your Steam client and join the fantastically unorganised AusGAF Steam Group and AusGAF Steam Chat, where all your hopes of never playing another game again will be fulfilled!​
I think we're in invite-only mode again, though, aren't we?

In any case, the IRC DID make it into the OP, so everyone can just go there :D.
 

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Frawdder said:
Once again the AusGAF Steam Group hasn't made it the OP so I'm doing a little spruiking (although I guess everyone knows about it, this is more for any new people's benefit).


The AusGAF Steam Group and AusGAF Steam Chat

Fancy idling with a bunch of other AusGaffers while not playing games? Head on over to your Steam client and join the fantastically unorganised AusGAF Steam Group and AusGAF Steam Chat, where all your hopes of never playing another game again will be fulfilled!​
I believe you are mistaken.
 
Right, didn't get a decent answer last time - where is the best/cheapest place to buy a US 3DS online?

Someone said Amazon before, and they have never shipped games here...
 
Fredescu said:
Group membership isn't required to join the channel.

I have a feeling I've said this before.

Many times.
And you always get corrected, like Frawdder just did right there.

Many times.

D.Lo said:
Right, didn't get a decent answer last time - where is the best/cheapest place to buy a US 3DS online?

Someone said Amazon before, and they have never shipped games here...
My entire 3DS collection, including the 3DS itself is shipped from Amazon. The only game that hasn't been importable that I've wanted so far is Cave Story 3D. There is a very small number of games they won't ship, but the vast majority do.
 
Clipper said:
And you always get corrected, like Frawdder just did right there.

Many times.
Fred and I are referring to different things.

You don't need to be a member of the group to join the group chat, just click the link on the group page and you will show as a 'guest' in the chat.

But to join the group itself, you need an invite from someone that is already in the group.
 
Im starting to feel like I should start hating Skyrim now to remain ahead of the curve.

What a terrible game, awful melee combat, terrible voice acting... um... bland scenery. Getting killed by giants but dragons being cake walks SURE! Awful mining system, terrible crafting system....

Ill add more as I investigate with a few more run throughs.

(But srsly, fix the damn UI Bethlazyda, its awful on PC)
 
So I finished MW3 yesterday, damn it was a blast.

My brother, who used to play CoD 1 competitively, wanted to play multi for some fun. But he discovered that MW3 doesn't allow multiple profiles.

Also, back in the day, he really enjoyed hoping on Gamearena servers and playing with the regulars, but unfortunately there isn't any for MW3. I guess probably because they're unranked! What is the point if you can't level up?

This is probably old news to most of you, but damn this backwards slide in choice sucks.

Reading up on Battlefield 3 reveals that it doesn't support multiple profiles either. But at least it appears to have ranked public servers.
 
Frawdder said:
Fred and I are referring to different things.

You don't need to be a member of the group to join the group chat, just click the link on the group page and you will show as a 'guest' in the chat.

But to join the group itself, you need an invite from someone that is already in the group.
 
Choabac said:
So I finished MW3 yesterday, damn it was a blast.

I haven't tried multi yet, but my brother, who used to play CoD 1 competitively, wanted to play multi.

But MW3 doesn't allow multiple profiles.

Also, back in the day, he really enjoyed hoping on Gamearena servers and playing with the regulars, but unfortunately there isn't any for MW3. I guess probably because they're unranked!

This is probably old news to most of you, but damn this backwards slide in choice sucks.

Reading up on Battlefield 3 reveals that it doesn't support multiple profiles either.
I hate this trend. Stupid money grubbing money grubs!
 
markot said:
Im starting to feel like I should start hating Skyrim now to remain ahead of the curve.
My only gripe is this bullshit disease/curse I have at the moment. And the occasional dude having bright purple armour because some shit didn't load.

And frostbite spiders. I fuckin hate spiders.
 
Well, that never got clarified the other many times it came up. Good to know that randoms can join after all.


Edit: No wait. The link to "Join Chat Room" takes me to an empty friend list on the new account I just created. Are you guys sure guest access is active?

Edit 2: Oh, perhaps I need a game on the account... Well, that sucks for testing, then.
 
markot said:
Im starting to feel like I should start hating Skyrim now to remain ahead of the curve.

What a terrible game, awful melee combat, terrible voice acting... um... bland scenery. Getting killed by giants but dragons being cake walks SURE! Awful mining system, terrible crafting system....

Ill add more as I investigate with a few more run throughs.

(But srsly, fix the damn UI Bethlazyda, its awful on PC)
This is a miner (lolol) gripe that I have with the game. It seems like the ore is rarely sprinkled about just as a means to provide something that makes the gamer think "oh the world is natural" but it doesn't work as a gameplay system. I'm not going to carry around a 10 weight pickaxe just so I can get the occasional (rare) ore or two which I then have to lug around until I find a smelter (I may be terrible but I only found one on a mountaintop where a Dragon had made its home), especially when I can just buy/find/steal so many ingots in the world.