• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banshee - A new action series from the creator of True Blood - Fridays - 10 - Cinemax

Status
Not open for further replies.

zedge

Just watched the finale. Holy bananas. Soo good. Really glad I saw this thread when the show started. Loved every min. Such a great show. Will check out Strike Back for sure.

Natiko

Banned
Just got done watching the finale earlier and really enjoyed it. I'm really glad I ended up checking the show out, I probably wouldn't have if I hadn't seen this thread on a whim near the premier. It's probably one of the better new shows recently.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
(Spoiler-y?) Casting tidbit from the latest Ask Auseillo:

Question: I’m a diehard TVLine reader and have never requested a single thing… until now. Banshee Season 2 scoop? —Carole

Ausiello: This one’s hot off the proverbial presses, Carole:
Odette Annable has officially signed on to reprise her role as hit woman Nola Longshadow in at least four Season 2 episodes of the Cinemax hit.

Anthony Ruivivar (Alex Longshadow) being added as a series regular for S2 was announced earlier this season, but that's the first I've heard of that one.

Oh man I just saw the first episode of strike back. i know they change up the cast and the feel of the show in the second season....but this is considered boring?! Richard armitage is such a g. And it's got a cool war action thriller feel to it

Plus it's good to see Rick from the walking dead not being an annoying cunt

This x100. I'm 4 eps into Strike Back and I can't believe anyone would say "skip the first season." Armitage is bawse as all hell. Bodies being dropped left and right. And everyone says it gets better from here? *drool*

More of these shows and Cinemax will make a run for "favorite channel."

Wiktor

This x100. I'm 4 eps into Strike Back and I can't believe anyone would say "skip the first season." Armitage is bawse as all hell. Bodies being dropped left and right. And everyone says it gets better from here? *drool*

More of these shows and Cinemax will make a run for "favorite channel."

Sandbox (another Cinemax upcoming show) also sounds awesome. Like a mix of Strike Back (special ops guys) and Banshee (small town setting)

adelante

Just caught with this show...did not expect it to have so much mindless sheriff badassery, haha love it! Finale fuckin rocked, though I was kinda hoping for Rabbit to a run-in with Proctor for bringing shit to his town.

fucko8fca.gif

Haha glad I wasn't the only one who recognized him as the slimeball lawyer from the Wire. Another "Wire" alum showed up too; actor who played Johnny Weeks aka Bubble's best friend, played this biker:

wX07MWA.jpg

Sandbox (another Cinemax upcoming show) also sounds awesome. Like a mix of Strike Back (special ops guys) and Banshee (small town setting)
Have there been any recent updates on that? Last bit of info that I could dig up was from Summer 2011. I'm curious if that's still in production or if they canned it.

Another "Wire" alum showed up too; actor who played Johnny Weeks aka Bubble's best friend, played this biker:

wX07MWA.jpg
Nice find. I knew I'd seen him somewhere before, but I couldn't place him.

Just caught with this show...did not expect it to have so much mindless sheriff badassery, haha love it! Finale fuckin rocked, though I was kinda hoping for Rabbit to a run-in with Proctor for bringing shit to his town.

Haha glad I wasn't the only one who recognized him as the slimeball lawyer from the Wire. Another "Wire" alum showed up too; actor who played Johnny Weeks aka Bubble's best friend, played this biker:

wX07MWA.jpg

I wonder if he'll return to Banshee. He survived, albeit with his cheek ripped out courtesy of Hood.

Clevinger

By the way, I forgot to say this.

The thing that ended up impressing me the most in this series was not Job's awesome dialogue, or Hood's silly 80s movie badassery, but this lady right here:

qlATT.jpg

She's a damn good actress, and she took a silly, cliched Badass Chick character and made it totally believable, with a bunch of nuance. One moment she's a loving mother, the next she's the ex-thief still in love with Hood, then she's a vulnerable daughter of a mob boss, then she kicks loads of ass with great choreography. All of it felt like a real person.

And those fight scenes? They were some of the best in the show. Her training with that guy. Her fight with Olek. Her breaking into her dad's guarded compound.

This actress, this character, is the bossest boss of Banshee.

banshee-ivanamilicevicbruises45_zps8c66ad4b.jpg

adelante

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv296/wappyws/BansheeTvShow/banshee-ivanamilicevicbruises45_zps8c66ad4b.jpg[//IMG][/QUOTE]

haha maybe its cos I just finished rewatching all episodes of Seinfeld, but I totally recognized her as the wife who was asked to flirt with Jerry by her sports salesman husband, after Jerry found out he was terrible at tennis, Couldn't get that episode off my mind whenever I see her in Banshee heh

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/WZxov8P.png

By the way, I forgot to say this.

The thing that ended up impressing me the most in this series was not Job's awesome dialogue, or Hood's silly 80s movie badassery, but this lady right here:

qlATT.jpg

She's a damn good actress, and she took a silly, cliched Badass Chick character and made it totally believable, with a bunch of nuance. One moment she's a loving mother, the next she's the ex-thief still in love with Hood, then she's a vulnerable daughter of a mob boss, then she kicks loads of ass with great choreography. All of it felt like a real person.

And those fight scenes? They were some of the best in the show. Her training with that guy. Her fight with Olek. Her breaking into her dad's guarded compound.

banshee-ivanamilicevicbruises45_zps8c66ad4b.jpg

She is probably the most fearless actor of the bunch. Amazing work.

Snake

So I finally watched the pilot last night.

Frankly, I would have to say that I found it to be...... AMAZING! Seriously, I loved every minute of it and I was not expecting that at all. It actually felt like an HBO series to me. Something that Showtime has failed to match over the course of decades, CineMax does it a few years into branching out into original programming (of the non-softcore variety). Seriously impressive if it continues with even 75% of the quality.

I can't read posts in this thread yet obviously, but I hope everyone else had as good of a reception because so far the show deserves it. Can't wait to see the rest.

edit: a few random thoughts so far:

- Lead guy reminds me of a cross between Ray Stevenson, Scott Speedman, and Sam Worthington. I also think he did a great job so far.
- Absolutely LOVED that he has a daughter he never knew about and wants to get to know. It seems like every other show I watch has a son that the main character is just hearing about, but the fact that it's a daughter feels so much more interesting.
- I'm a little disappointed in the opening credits (visually, the music was fine I guess). Not that that's a big deal, it's just the one thing that felt a bit subpar.
- I just realized that the show's premise is basically Road House, but twisted. This is only a positive in my book.

Persona86

Banned
So I finally watched the pilot last night.

Frankly, I would have to say that I found it to be...... AMAZING! Seriously, I loved every minute of it and I was not expecting that at all. It actually felt like an HBO series to me. Something that Showtime has failed to match over the course of decades, CineMax does it a few years into branching out into original programming (of the non-softcore variety). Seriously impressive if it continues with even 75% of the quality.

I can't read posts in this thread yet obviously, but I hope everyone else had as good of a reception because so far the show deserves it. Can't wait to see the rest.

edit: a few random thoughts so far:

- Lead guy reminds me of a cross between Ray Stevenson, Scott Speedman, and Sam Worthington. I also think he did a great job so far.
- Absolutely LOVED that he has a daughter he never knew about and wants to get to know. It seems like every other show I watch has a son that the main character is just hearing about, but the fact that it's a daughter feels so much more interesting.
- I'm a little disappointed in the opening credits (visually, the music was fine I guess). Not that that's a big deal, it's just the one thing that felt a bit subpar.
- I just realized that the show's premise is basically Road House, but twisted. This is only a positive in my book.
NO SPOILERS IN MY POST.

Trust me you are in for a treat, the Pilot and episode 2 was the weakest for me, it just keeps getting better, even the opening credits grow on you, different pictures etc. :)

Episode 3 is what got me thinking...this is actually amazing!

And most people in this thread LOVED this show, it's been fun talking about it.

Also AVOID ALL THE GIFS/Images in this thread, DO NOT LOOK! DO NOT LOOK!

Come back after episode 10. :)

Clevinger

Yes! Come to me, my Roadhouse brethren.

They'll grow on you. At least they did with me.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It actually felt like an HBO series to me. Something that Showtime has failed to match over the course of decades, CineMax does it a few years into branching out into original programming (of the non-softcore variety).

That might have something to do with the fact that Cinemax is a sister network to HBO and Banshee was developed at HBO.

Snake

Trust me you are in for a treat, the Pilot and episode 2 was the weakest for me, it just keeps getting better, even the opening credits grow on you, different pictures etc. :)
Episode 3 is what got me thinking...this is actually amazing!
Damn, that's some exciting news.
They'll grow on you. At least they did with me.
We'll see! It wasn't so much that I thought that they were bad, I was merely a bit underwhelmed. The music, as with all the music in the show so far, is great.
That might have something to do with the fact that Cinemax is a sister network to HBO and Banshee was developed at HBO.
I should have known!

Snake

Welp, just finished the whole season and I loved it. Reading the thread from the beginning now and I'm already glad to see other people were reminded of Scott Speedman when they first saw Hood! (Will edit with more impressions in a mo)

---

bansheedit:

I had so much fun with this show. More fun than I could have imagined. It's just the right mix of camp, well-done comic book violence, and actors setting their inner badass dials to ten.

Antony Starr killed it, Ulrich Thomsen killed it, Ivana Milicevic was relentless. Hell, every single character was awesome in their own way. I want to give a shout out to Job, but then again I want to give a shout out to everyone. Even Olek, who seemed like a standard lackey in the pilot, got a whole episode to shine and add some depth.

- Ultimately, despite this show throwing an endless stream of hot women at you (including a surprise Odette Annable out of thin air), I've still got to give it up to Deputy Kelly. She is simply wonderful.
- I totally loved the dynamic formed between the sheriff's team and every time they were not doing something sheriff-related I found myself wanting more. The final episode teamup was badass as all hell. Brock being on board made me grin so hard that I wanted to kiss my television. Yeah it was pretty cheesy when you've got them all decked out and ready to rumble with the Ukrainians, but, dammit, that's Grade-goddamn-A cheese.
- Wasn't surprised or disappointed when Kai saved Lucas' rear at the beginning of the finale, (I was expecting as much by at least episode 4) but I was hoping for an even more extensive teamup against Rabbit.
- Lol'd at the mayor. Seemed like an okay guy, but what a chump way to go out.

As for the minuses, I think I was a little disappointed that Hood never got to have a scene with his daughter after things started getting revealed. I guess there's time for that next season, but it seemed like a missing thread. Similarly, I was surprised that there wasn't a final scene between Anna and Lucas in the aftermath of the Metalworks (not that they didn't get more than their fair share of scenes already). Could've also used more Sugar in the last few episodes. Really, my biggest gripe is that I wanted more, more, more, and of course there's nothing to do but wait.

I could go on but you guys already covered all this weeks ago I guess! Pretend *more good things* were said.

Wiktor

- Ultimately, despite this show throwing an endless stream of hot women at you (including a surprise Odette Annable out of thin air), I've still got to give it up to Deputy Kelly. She is simply wonderful
You are man who knows what's good in life!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom