• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSHxSymdak0

Aftermath = SP maps repurposed for MP

at 4:55 in he says

Patrick Bach said:
I won't give you any details on Aftermath still because we still want to focus on the pack up ahead. But as you can see, we're bringing back parts from the single player campaign where we had this devastating earthquake. We had a lot of people wanting (me: asking?) us to you know ... "why can't we play that in multiplayer?". So that's what we're using now as a core and bringing that chaos into multiplayer."

OG Kush

that does not sound good... but we shall see. I really want to see how the map design is in armoured kill as its DICE's first real map pack (CQ doesn't count and b2k were all remakes) for Bf3 and majority BF3's stock maps aren't that good. I really hope they got some good map designers left.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
that does not sound good... but we shall see. I really want to see how the map design is in armoured kill as its DICE's first real map pack (CQ doesn't count and b2k were all remakes) for Bf3 and majority BF3's stock maps aren't that good. I really hope they got some good map designers left.
I had more fun with CQB than like 80% of the vanilla maps. I hope AK has more vehicles than vanilla, because it makes no sense to have to walk around a huge map like that.

I think you are heavily miscontruing what he is saying there as he seems to be referring to the amount of destruction present because of the earthquakes in the environments compared to stock maps.

Acta non Verba, Par for the Course, Crossing Over, Ghost Town, Heavy Metal, Cold War.

DICE has done it before. and seriously, it didn't sound to me like he meant just the amount of destruction.

IMACOMPUTA

So uhh.. is there a way to see servers in the server browser? (PC)

They really have not fixed the fact that if you sort by lets say, ping, it only sorts like the 20 in view?

I cant believe how dumb this is. If i sort by players it shows me that there are only like 3 servers with players on them.. but when i scroll down there are all kinds of unsorted populated servers. Is there a fix for this? Or are there any helpful browser plugins for BF3?

They also haven't made it so if you're typing and die, you dont lose everything you've typed.

Or allowed typing in between rounds...

Or made it so it doesn't kick you from the options screen when you die....

What the fuck, DICE? Why does it take you so long to fix the most simple things? BF2 took until one of the final patches to allow mouse scrolling in the server browser....

mr_nothin

Banned
So uhh.. is there a way to see servers in the server browser? (PC)

They really have not fixed the fact that if you sort by lets say, ping, it only sorts like the 20 in view?

I cant believe how dumb this is. If i sort by players it shows me that there are only like 3 servers with players on them.. but when i scroll down there are all kinds of unsorted populated servers. Is there a fix for this? Or are there any helpful browser plugins for BF3?

They also haven't made it so if you're typing and die, you dont lose everything you've typed.

Or allowed typing in between rounds...

Or made it so it doesn't kick you from the options screen when you die....

What the fuck, DICE? Why does it take you so long to fix the most simple things? BF2 took until one of the final patches to allow mouse scrolling in the server browser....
I'm still surprised that I cant see most of the servers in my region. Battlelog hides most servers from you....but yet I can go to Brazil/Germany/Japan and pull of a bunch of populated servers. It's baffling how dozens of empty servers take priority over other populated server just because they arent in the southeastern region.
:|

OG Kush

Shit I thought it was just me or something why so many servers weren't showing up. The server browser does indeed suck. DICE are such weird developers, I really want to know what really goes down at their office.

mr_nothin

Banned
Just to showcase how DICE sold out even more...

Remember when Headshots meant you couldnt be revived?
Also, remember when you could only be revived once? If you died and someone revived you, and then you died again...you couldnt be revived after that. Now, it's an infinite loop.

They do so much to keep that "forward movement" and "omnipresence" in the game. I fucking hate it. Why cant we have real tug of war type gameplay? I want to be able to have push/pull battles with the enemies. Not have them always spawning on the frontline.

OG Kush

Also, remember when you could only be revived once? If you died and someone revived you, and then you died again...you couldnt be revived after that. Now, it's an infinite loop.

They do so much to keep that "forward movement" and "omnipresence" in the game. I fucking hate it. Why cant we have real tug of war type gameplay? I want to be able to have push/pull battles with the enemies. Not have them always spawning on the frontline.

Good shout. If they actually implemented just these things it would change the game greatly, in a good way. Man, now I really miss mod support. Just imagine if this game had mod support, my God.

KingKong

fuck that last assignment for Karkand. getting 5 kills in that jeep is so fucking annoying with a billion helis, tanks and javelins around

mr_nothin

Banned
Good shout. If they actually implemented just these things it would change the game greatly, in a good way. Man, now I really miss mod support. Just imagine if this game had mod support, my God.

These were actually already implemented into the game. They took them out

August Premium content detailed.

Premium video: Exclusive Armored Kill gameplay
Release date: August 29

Where: Battlelog Premium video section
Our third Premium exclusive video features all-new gameplay footage from the upcoming expansion pack Battlefield 3: Armored Kill. Prepare yourself for all-out vehicle warfare!

Premium event: Pitch your Battlefield map concept to DICE
Start date: August 31

This is your chance to submit your level idea and have it judged by the creators of Battlefield 3! Pitch your most awesome idea for a Battlefield map, and you can win an extremely limited edition Battlefield 3 lithograph signed by the DICE team. Full details on how to enter will be posted on Battlelog on August 31 when this competition is officially opened. Stay tuned!

Premium exclusive Double XP weekend
Dates: August 25-26 (or longer! See below)

Rank up faster by joining this Double XP event, only for Battlefield 3™ Premium members. This month’s Premium exclusive double XP weekend takes place Saturday-Sunday, August 25-26. Start times below. You can also check this handy event announcer to see the time in your city.

Don’t forget that we are running a community challenge on Facebook that extends the time of this event based on the number of shares we get! Join the sharing at our Facebook page to increase the number of hours you will get double XP.

Double XP event start times:
Los Angeles 00:01:00 August 25
Stockholm 09:01:00 August 25
Paris 09:01:00 August 25
New York 03:01:00 August 25
Tokyo 16:01:00 August 25

Map ideas sound kinda cool. Someone should suggest a map where none of the soldiers are wearing reflective, glare-inducing sunglasses.

Oh, and that bonus content everyone was curious and/or excited about? HOLD ON TO YOUR BUTTS

Premium bonus content: Exclusive artwork booklet
Release date: August 29

Where: Our new “Bonus content” section on Battlelog
The August bonus content drop for Battlefield 3™ Premium members is an exclusive high-res artwork booklet (electronic) with 24 original concept artwork from the development of Battlefield 3. The majority of these have never before been shown to the public. To download your artwork album, head to Battlelog and the new “Bonus content” section that will appear on August 29.

e3dicetroll.gif

masterful troll once again by Digital Illusions. no skins, no STAC, no exclusive heavy barrels...
Don’t forget that we are running a community challenge on Facebook that extends the time of this event based on the number of shares we get! Join the sharing at our Facebook page to increase the number of hours you will get double XP.
so... 48 hours i guess...

Donos

Splinters is spamming my Battlelog with dozen of his filthy medals/ribbons. Need a new rig to get back on owning-levels too, like in my CS 1.6 days :(

At least i'm constantly minimum 2:1 K/D since i started to roll with Pecheneg and bipod.

Run-M-Run

EXCLUSIVE bonus content? A digital artbook?

How's it exclusive when you can find it on the GAF highres game artwork thread the same day probably lol.

I wouldn't have minded an artbook where you have to just pay the shipping, but no, it had to be digital. Ugh.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
EXCLUSIVE bonus content? A digital artbook?

How's it exclusive when you can find it on the GAF highres game artwork thread the same day probably lol.

I wouldn't have minded an artbook where you have to just pay the shipping, but no, it had to be digital. Ugh.

Well it's bonus content. If they had announced it at the start of the month, I'm certain most wouldn't have blinked twice. The really funny part is that they waited three weeks and hyped it on twitter like it was going to be something useful. This was a royal bone-up by DICE PR not because they under-delivered, but because they let their user base get worked up over something not worth getting worked up over. It takes away from interest and momentum going into Armored Kill in 3 weeks (2 if PS3)

Spl1nter

Well it's bonus content. If they had announced it at the start of the month, I'm certain most wouldn't have blinked twice. The really funny part is that they waited three weeks and hyped it on twitter like it was going to be something useful. This was a royal bone-up by DICE PR not because they under-delivered, but because they let their user base get worked up over something not worth getting worked up over. It takes away from interest and momentum going into Armored Kill in 3 weeks (2 if PS3)

DICE's PR in general is absolutely horrible. However, I think a lot of that has to do with EA. EA is horrible at marketing their games. There are have been a number of comments from DICE devs and community managers on twitter which have hinted at the gulf between DICE and EA in how they present and communicate information to the community. Specifically, the way EA restricts giving out information and there timed schedules which they adhere to. One of the pressing issues for EA should be completely overhauling the way they market games and their community interaction.

mr_nothin

Banned
DICE's PR in general is absolutely horrible. However, I think a lot of that has to do with EA. EA is horrible at marketing their games. There are have been a number of comments from DICE devs and community managers on twitter which have hinted at the gulf between DICE and EA in how they present and communicate information to the community. Specifically, the way EA restricts giving out information and there timed schedules which they adhere to. One of the pressing issues for EA should be completely overhauling the way they market games and their community interaction.

Has your name changed on battlelog? Havent seen you online in forever.

It's not, at least on 360. I'm not sure what the criteria is, but there are definitely situations where people are unable to be revived. It might be when they are killed before they can accept the revive. I've been told by squadmates that sometimes the icon to revive me never shows up.

Spl1nter

Has your name changed on battlelog? Havent seen you online in forever.

Nope but I have only been on at night.

On the topic of your views on what changes and how the game should be played, I understand your point of view but I dont really see all of your views consisting with 'classic battlefield'. Nevertheless, I hope in BF4 there are a number of changes that allow the game to be more competitive and skill based even if its an option like normal and hardcore right now.

One example would be no revive on explosions. Reason not to include headshots is because it benefits spray and pray and lucky shots too much. Doesn't fit with BF3 cone of fire.

I have a pretty long list of game design changes for how I would like and believe BF4 should be but I dont know if its really worth the time to write them out, not enough interest on here.

One little side note that has been in my head is the focus on esports and competitive FPS games. Battlefield will never be a competitive game, doing so would require to many game design decisions that would make the game not battlefield, however it can still be a competitive and skill based rewarding game. There are many design decisions that can be made to allow that while still maintaining the battlefield game play style. Its pretty funny seeing COD add so many esports features when the game is absolutely horrible for it. BF4 needs a battlerecorder though.

A lot of money could be made by making BF4 a platform instead of a singular game while also satisfying the community but I doubt EA is that smart.

Nope but I have only been on at night.

On the topic of your views on what changes and how the game should be played, I understand your point of view but I dont really see all of your views consisting with 'classic battlefield'. Nevertheless, I hope in BF4 there are a number of changes that allow the game to be more competitive and skill based even if its an option like normal and hardcore right now.

One example would be no revive on explosions. Reason not to include headshots is because it benefits spray and pray and lucky shots too much. Doesn't fit with BF3 cone of fire.

I have a pretty long list of game design changes for how I would like and believe BF4 should be but I dont know if its really worth the time to write them out, not enough interest on here.

One little side note that has been in my head is the focus on esports and competitive FPS games. Battlefield will never be a competitive game, doing so would require to many game design decisions that would make the game not battlefield, however it can still be a competitive and skill based rewarding game. There are many design decisions that can be made to allow that while still maintaining the battlefield game play style. Its pretty funny seeing COD add so many esports features when the game is absolutely horrible for it. BF4 needs a battlerecorder though.

A lot of money could be made by making BF4 a platform instead of a singular game while also satisfying the community but I doubt EA is that smart.

no revive on explosions = vehicle/rpg/frag buff

Mazdarati

Neo Member

Probably for the sake of player count on console.

On the bigger maps, the "tug of war" as you describe exists on those servers that don't have instant vehicle spawn.

hellclerk

Probably for the sake of player count on console.

On the bigger maps, the "tug of war" as you describe exists on those servers that don't have instant vehicle spawn.

Oh yeah, totally. Hell, even in some servers with instant vehicle spawn if you have competitive teams. I mean, you still need to get the vehicles to their points and victory comes in the form of superior maneuvering. Where that "tug of war" doesn't work is in pretty much every other game mode outside of conquest. You can't have a "tug of war" in Rush because if you do, the attackers will ALWAYS lose. TDM and SQDM is more about individual skill than pushing or pulling. Face it, people play more than just conquest. I have actually enjoyed all of the modes, because each mode brings something different to the table, and having specific settings that would improve one game mode at the detriment of others is just bad game design.

I'd actually suggest Conquest Domination if there were any consistently filled sub 24 player servers still around. Playing with a competitive team is nothing BUT tug of war. Sure, the focus is on fast pace and twitch gunplay, but you can survive a tactical retreat and with how close everything is, you can easily move on to a new point if one is too hot and let them come to you. Much more tactical than I think mr_nothin gives it credit for.

Oh yeah, totally. Hell, even in some servers with instant vehicle spawn if you have competitive teams. I mean, you still need to get the vehicles to their points and victory comes in the form of superior maneuvering. Where that "tug of war" doesn't work is in pretty much every other game mode outside of conquest. You can't have a "tug of war" in Rush because if you do, the attackers will ALWAYS lose. TDM and SQDM is more about individual skill than pushing or pulling. Face it, people play more than just conquest. I have actually enjoyed all of the modes, because each mode brings something different to the table, and having specific settings that would improve one game mode at the detriment of others is just bad game design.

I'd actually suggest Conquest Domination if there were any consistently filled sub 24 player servers still around. Playing with a competitive team is nothing BUT tug of war. Sure, the focus is on fast pace and twitch gunplay, but you can survive a tactical retreat and with how close everything is, you can easily move on to a new point if one is too hot and let them come to you. Much more tactical than I think mr_nothin gives it credit for.

Rush had that 'tug of war' feeling in BC1 and the BC2 PS3 alpha. back then, you didn't get the full # of tickets back. BC1 had a bar, not a count, so i dunno what the exact ticket amount was, but in the BC2 alpha, it was 100 tickets max and you got 50 back when you got both objectives, so if you got a team down to a few tickets, you really felt that you were reeling them in because they now had like 60 tickets, whereas if you just struggled and got down to 60 tickets on that last set and then went in hard and only lost a few on the next set, and got back to 100, you felt the tide was turning... but then they changed that and made it straight up 75 a set in the multiplatform beta and stuck with that to the end.

I fired up BF3 for the first time since probably January or February. For whatever reason I went with a Metro 64 player conquest server. What a clusterfuck.

That said, its exhilarating when you're able to bob and weave through grenades exploding all around you and sprint back all the way to the Cafe point with nobody realizing you're not on their side. Or being able to push down the central escalator and flank a giant group of guys focused on trying to get up the right side stairs by stabbing about 4 guys in a row.

I usually hate close quarters stuff, but Metro 64 player conquest is just so chokepoint based, its kind of fun, at least for a total change of pace from my usual preferred big maps with vehicles in BF.

Yeah, I wish you could have conversations in between rounds. Would really improve community I think.

My other pet peeve is not being able to double click on a point in the spawn menu in order to spawn. It was in 1942, how is it not in this!?

OG Kush

Yeah, I wish you could have conversations in between rounds. Would really improve community I think.

My other pet peeve is not being able to double click on a point in the spawn menu in order to spawn. It was in 1942, how is it not in this!?

DICE: 2 steps forward, one step back.

hellclerk

Rush had that 'tug of war' feeling in BC1 and the BC2 PS3 alpha. back then, you didn't get the full # of tickets back. BC1 had a bar, not a count, so i dunno what the exact ticket amount was, but in the BC2 alpha, it was 100 tickets max and you got 50 back when you got both objectives, so if you got a team down to a few tickets, you really felt that you were reeling them in because they now had like 60 tickets, whereas if you just struggled and got down to 60 tickets on that last set and then went in hard and only lost a few on the next set, and got back to 100, you felt the tide was turning... but then they changed that and made it straight up 75 a set in the multiplatform beta and stuck with that to the end.
Well part of that is a problem with their map design. Some of the maps, such as Metro, Bazaar, and at the very end, Damivand, all get so focused and chokepointed it becomes impossible to advance with anything but the 75 ticket reset. If DICE bothered to design more ways to the objective, like say an above ground approach to the metro instead of being funneled into the tunnel, they might have been able to do that. Instead, they tested with an inherently unsound map design and altered the rules of the game to it instead of the other way around, or most ideally, found a middle ground between the two.

And like 2 steps forward & 5 steps backward when it comes to destruction in BF3 compared to BFBC2.
I see this complaint about destruction all the time and I can personally say, it's horseshit. Aside from there just not being as many things to destroy in most maps, why don't you try leveling the entire forest like you can in Caspian Border on say... Nelson Bay. Have you even SEEN Karkand and Sharkie after a thousand tickets in conquest? Seriously...

So anyone gonna go for the map building contest? I think I've got a pretty cool idea for a snow map...

gDJQb.png

Mazdarati

Neo Member
I just figured out you can repair the reactive armor on vehicles. After reaching 100% repair on your vehicle, "torch" each appropriate side for (5?) more seconds and the armor reappears.
Am I the only one who didn't know that?

I just figured out you can repair the reactive armor on vehicles. After reaching 100% repair on your vehicle, "torch" each appropriate side for (5?) more seconds and the armor reappears.
Am I the only one who didn't know that?

Curiously, I only just found out today as well lol

tn2007

No. I'm not that good and haven't played any double xp events and have 640~ SPM in 300 hours. There are quite a few legit 900+ SPM guys out there that don't whore metro and double xp.

Yeah us 900+ SPM guys just whore medic. I was at 840 SPM prior to double XP, and I think I'll get to 1200-1300 by the time it's done. But after the double XP event your SPM will drop back down anyways.

Top Bottom