• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO 08•19-21•16 - Bomba-Herp(derp) trampled as Squad slip by the dogs of war

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Kubo should at least drop under 50% this weekend. I doubt it has amazing legs, but it shouldn't follow the fate of Ben Hur either.

You know that we have entered the slow box office period when you guys spend a page fighting over Mission Impossible movies when nothing remotely related to Mission Impossible in even in theatres.

Well, there was something I wanted to bring up, but it felt like beating a dead horse.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=weekend&id=augustopen.htm

Top August openers all had drops under 40% in their 4th weekends. So even if Suicide Squad maintains that 45% for the weekend, its still coming in markedly under its comp set. Its fourth Friday was even lower than Bourne Ultimatum, a movie that opened half as big.

To its credit though, the biggest opener that any of those other four movies faced was If I Stay at $14.6m.

EDIT: Actually, it looks like those other four movies combined had only five weekends with a 50% drop in their entire runs. All four of them in the 2nd weekend, then Ninja Turtles again in the 10th weekend. It'll be interesting to see if Suicide Squad can top that by itself.

kswiston

Well, there was something I wanted to bring up, but it felt like beating a dead horse.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=weekend&id=augustopen.htm

Top August openers all had drops under 40% in their 4th weekends. So even if Suicide Squad maintains that 45% for the weekend, its still coming in markedly under its comp set. Its fourth Friday was even lower than Bourne Ultimatum, a movie that opened half as big.

To its credit though, the biggest opener that any of those other four movies faced was If I Stay at $14.6m.

EDIT: Actually, it looks like those other four movies combined had only five weekends with a 50% drop in their entire runs. All four of them in the 2nd weekend, then Ninja Turtles again in the 10th weekend. It'll be interesting to see if Suicide Squad can top that by itself.

Suicide Squad has shit legs. It's just that shit legs in August are better than shit legs in May or March.

Kubo might just be my favourite LAIKA picture yet. How the fuck did it have such a bad opening?

People just don't like that style of animation. It also isn't that appealing to kids which is the primary audience for that type of movie. That plus the movie was poorly marketed and in general didn't get much marketing at all. There are a lot of animated movies nowadays and it's a competitive market, some movies will be left behind.

People just don't like that style of animation. It also isn't that appealing to kids which is the primary audience for that type of movie. That plus the movie was poorly marketed and in general didn't get much marketing at all. There are a lot of animated movies nowadays and it's a competitive market, some movies will be left behind.
Wallace and Gromit is popular and that's British even.

Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit $192.6 million
Shaun The Sheep $106 million

I doubt kids hate stopmotion. I believe and agree that it's for the other reasons, didn't get much marketing and kind of a crowded market for kids animated films.

kswiston

Looks like Don't Breathe and Suicide Squad both had good Saturdays. Don't Breathe bucked the horror trend and increased on Saturday proper. The weekend take will end up in the $26-27M range.

Suicide Squad may end up around $12M

I doubt kids hate stopmotion. I believe and agree that it's for the other reasons, didn't get much marketing and kind of a crowded market for kids animated films.

Shaun the sheep only made $22M domestic. None ir those stop action films make a ton here. I think Chicken Run is the only one past $100M.

BumRush

All this DCU talk caused me to pop in BvS last night to watch with my wife again.

I think one thing that I just can't get passed is how unreasonably terrible Eisenberg is as Luthor. I'm not sure if it's mostly script or his depiction of the character but it's hard to watch and brings down every scene he's in.

There's no character in MoS like THAT.

I suspect it's more a case of parents seeing 'odd' art and having an immediate 'nope' response combined with kids being more likely to watch home releases than anything in theaters. Tim Burton isn't popular as kids entertainment either.

For example: my toddler cousins all watch stuff like Marsha and The Bear (which I personally think is terrible, but okay) and other material specifically aimed at children. That shit literally prints money too, like Dora the Explorer does. Btw: that kind of shit, like Teletubbies, actually teaches kids LESS than regular education entertainment does. It's mentioned in the book Digital Dementia, and I don't know the exact research link for it, but it turns out all that stuff, much like digital technology, does the opposite of what the marketing claims.

Compare the shallowness of most of these 'for kids CG' movies with the stuff we saw as -a little bit older- kids: Jim Henson's Storyteller, the Dark Crystal, the Freggles (would any parent allow that on tv now? )... hell even Transformers The Movie was more complex and violent -kind of- than that.

I know my view on this isn't popular, because we've done this in a previous thread already, but parenting habits definitely have changed, if only because they have to consider the constant environment their kids now inhabit every single day of their lives.
And given the constant torrent of new things, I think people are more likely to choose 'safe' over 'odd'. The parental setting on Netflix apps and so on may even be biased towards those for the same reason.

DeathyBoy

Banned
All this DCU talk caused me to pop in BvS last night to watch with my wife again.

I think one thing that I just can't get passed is how unreasonably terrible Eisenberg is as Luthor. I'm not sure if it's mostly script or his depiction of the character but it's hard to watch and brings down every scene he's in.

They're absolutely is. Pa Kent is horrendous in MOS. So bad. And people justify it with "grounded, realistic, he's a Dad looking out for his son."

Nah, he's an absolute douchebag. Hypocritical piece of shit because the script is so bad that it forgets to either add some likeavory, or make his shittiness intentional. I was flabbergasted watching it that they accidentally made Pa Kent a more despicable villain than fucking Zod.

His last scene in MOS is Catwoman levels of awful, and I'm not being hyperbolic there like Gaf usually is. It was horrendous when I saw in the cinema and every time I rewatch it I actually laugh at how incredible it is that that fucking scene was written and shot and edited and they thought it was the right thing to do.

And it's fitting that the Chris Evans laughing meme uses that gif.

I've seen most superhero films and I would put that scene, no joke, in the top ten "wtf" moments from any of those films.

BumRush

They're absolutely is. Pa Kent is horrendous in MOS. So bad. And people justify it with "grounded, realistic, he's a Dad looking out for his son."

Nah, he's an absolute douchebag. Hypocritical piece of shit because the script is so bad that it forgets to either add some likeavory, or make his shittiness intentional. I was flabbergasted watching it that they accidentally made Pa Kent a more despicable villain than fucking Zod.

His last scene in MOS is Catwoman levels of awful, and I'm not being hyperbolic there like Gaf usually is. It was horrendous when I saw in the cinema and every time I rewatch it I actually laugh at how incredible it is that that fucking scene was written and shot and edited and they thought it was the right thing to do.

And it's fitting that the Chris Evans laughing meme uses that gif.

I've seen most superhero films and I would put that scene, no joke, in the top ten "wtf" moments from any of those films.

I don't hate him in it as much as you but I do understand what you're saying. The difference - to me - is that pa kent is out of the movie midway through while luthor gets more screen time (and more annoying) as the film reaches it's climax.

Just realized the DCU has the worst Lex and Joker ever. Two most well known villains they have, and they managed to fuck them both up massively. Impressive.

I don't hate him in it as much as you but I do understand what you're saying. The difference - to me - is that pa kent is out of the movie midway through while luthor gets more screen time (and more annoying) as the film reaches it's climax.

It doesn't help that Lex's entire plan hinges on both Batman ("The World's Greatest Detective") and Superman being brainless thuggish idiots.

I suspect it's more a case of parents seeing 'odd' art and having an immediate 'nope' response combined with kids being more likely to watch home releases than anything in theaters. Tim Burton isn't popular as kids entertainment either.

For example: my toddler cousins all watch stuff like Marsha and The Bear (which I personally think is terrible, but okay) and other material specifically aimed at children. That shit literally prints money too, like Dora the Explorer does. Btw: that kind of shit, like Teletubbies, actually teaches kids LESS than regular education entertainment does. It's mentioned in the book Digital Dementia, and I don't know the exact research link for it, but it turns out all that stuff, much like digital technology, does the opposite of what the marketing claims.

Compare the shallowness of most of these 'for kids CG' movies with the stuff we saw as -a little bit older- kids: Jim Henson's Storyteller, the Dark Crystal, the Freggles (would any parent allow that on tv now? )... hell even Transformers The Movie was more complex and violent -kind of- than that.

I know my view on this isn't popular, because we've done this in a previous thread already, but parenting habits definitely have changed, if only because they have to consider the constant environment their kids now inhabit every single day of their lives.
And given the constant torrent of new things, I think people are more likely to choose 'safe' over 'odd'. The parental setting on Netflix apps and so on may even be biased towards those for the same reason.

Definitely agreed that parents have more of a control of what kind of movies kids watch now, and they would prefer safe over odd or has any darker themes. We all grew up with Neverending Story, Labyrinth, The Land Before Time, Watership Down, Roger Rabbit, heck even Care Bears movie had its scary stuff.

Yeah my uncle's kid (3 years old) watches Marsha and the Bear and I just find it so dumb, like they're probably gonna be dumber after watching this. Thankfully, my other uncle's kids (8-11) watch more substantial stuff like Horrible Histories. I've been able to show them Ghibli films like Totoro. I'm hoping to show them Wolf Children next although I have a feeling it'll be too adult for them and they'll get bored (just because each shot can be longer than 5 seconds and not comedic all the time).

If I ever have kids, I'm just going to make them watch the gum monster episode of Ghostwriter over and over again and just tell them it's the local news

Penguin

Just realized the DCU has the worst Lex and Joker ever. Two most well known villains they have, and they managed to fuck them both up massively. Impressive.

Well I like Jesse's Luthor so eh

But still nothing will top the awful Lex in Superman: Brainiac Attacks or The Joker from Young Justice. Those were bad.

Litan

Well I like Jesse's Luthor so eh

But still nothing will top the awful Lex in Superman: Brainiac Attacks or The Joker from Young Justice. Those were bad.
Ive never watched YJ, but he couldn't have been as bad as Rastafarian Joker from The Batman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom