• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO 08•19-21•16 - Bomba-Herp(derp) trampled as Squad slip by the dogs of war

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schlorgan

Independence Day Resurgence did $75 million in China ($385 million WW). Star Trek better do more or I'm gonna be pissed. XD

It's already done more domestically, but the foreign numbers aren't looking so hot without China ($86 million).

Huh, just noticed the local regal imax switched completely to 2d showings of suicide squad. I got an email saying from regal last week saying they were adding 2d times, but I didn't expect them to make it 2d only. Maybe they saw a boost in sales.

kswiston

Deadline revised Don't Breathe to $21.5-24M for the weekend.

It looks like Suicide Squad will have a decent weekend as well, perhaps under a 50% drop. At this point, I am thinking that $300M happens the week after Labor Day. If not, then shortly after.

guek

Banned
They're saying $10-12M which would be the first weekend Squad beats BvS.

BvS made $9M and dropped a massive -61.4% its 4th weekend so I can see that happening. $12M seems too optimistic though considering its weekday drops haven't been particularly strong.

kswiston

BvS made $9M and dropped a massive -61.4% its 4th weekend so I can see that happening. $12M seems too optimistic though considering its weekday drops haven't been particularly strong.

Kids are rapidly returning to school, which explains some of it.

Excellent. This would put SS's legs at better than BvS, which is a message I want WB to see.

I didn't think SS was a great film, but it was at least in the correct ballpark.

Man of Steel was better made (unlike Suicide Squad it actually had a competent structure) but it was also boring as shit, so I'm not sure which one I would rather have done better.

You want Squad to have done better because WB knows exactly where that stumbled

Meanwhile with MoS, they made an incredible trailer and forgot to make the actual movie not boring as shit

Schlorgan

Meanwhile with MoS, they made an incredible trailer and forgot to make the actual movie not boring as shit

Isn't that what they did with Suicide Squad too?
mostly joking

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Look, I just want this to eventually lead to a justice league v avenger movie

So keep racking in dat cash WB

eh suicide squad was way more boring, prolly second most boring movie i saw this year after Bourne 4. worst DC film i've seen since i caught some of green lantern on tv. i dunno how people can prefer it over BvS...it had some funny jokes? cool. they also turned into shit pretty quick. god bless Will Smith and Action Bronson/Ye though. those two tracks were too good to be in this. standing in the rain....phew. still listening to that jam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG1VLYp5DjQ

eh suicide squad was way more boring, prolly second most boring movie i saw this year after Bourne 4. worst DC film i've seen since i caught some of green lantern on tv. i dunno how people can prefer it over BvS...it had some funny jokes? cool. they also turned into shit pretty quick. god bless Will Smith and Action Bronson/Ye though. those two tracks were too good to be in this. standing in the rain....phew. still listening to that jam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG1VLYp5DjQ

Suicide Squad was not as bad as BvS, that was just mind-numbingly dull and stupid on so many levels. I only saw it recently but I feel people deserve awards for sitting through all of BvS in the cinema cause I checked out after 30min at home and took me many gos to get through it all.

kurahador

I think it's more like SS is the result of them listening that what ppl said about MoS --- the trailer looks great, movie is shit.

I think Man of Steel is the actual "good but flawed" movie of the DCEU. BvS and SS are just straight flaw.

What made BvS especially disappointing is that Snyder had 3 years to learn from MoS, improve himself as a filmmaker, and collaborate with some very creative talent. Instead he shed everything that worked in MoS and doubled down on everything that didn't.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Does it make you feel better if I agree with you?

MOS is an attempt at an auteur film that fails because of a terrible script and a director overreaching.

Suicide Squad is a forty million dollar film with a 175 million budget and a jumbled edit that plays out like The Avengers, but with a sarcastic and chaotic stylistic feel.

I don't think SS is an all time great, but it's stylistically unique and after a year of films with no visual style worth a damn it was refreshing to see.

Like CW is clearly better late than SS, but visually nothing about CW stands out. Great as the airport sequence is, not one shot had me go "wow, that's stunning." SS was full of quirky visuals and cinematic short hand.

I think MoS is better than SS and BvS (MoS was amazing, btw). Does that make me a bad person?

Given hindsight on all three, despite hating MoS, I would absolutely agree that MoS is the best of them. SS is mess but has the appeal of Hot Topic vomiting all over the movie (so basically kids love it, despite it being trash), BvS is a mess with only the appeal of references being vomited all over it (so only comic nerds love it), and MoS is... kind of not a mess? It's absolutely trash in how it connects the dots plotwise, the editing of the first half hour (oh hey, that sounds familiar) is all. over. the place with the flashbacks and stuff, and the wholesale destruction of a city is 'wtf how is this Superman', with honorable mention of the movie literally -and figuratively- ripping off DBZ Return of Cooler with the planet-fucker thing (will somebody please explain to Dumbass, and by that I mean Snyder, that MASS causes gravity, not DENSITY? eh, whatever, damage done)... but at least it tried to do stuff?
I actually liked the idea of Kryptonians not being suited to life on other worlds and then this one asshole - not Goku- somehow being able to live on some backwater rock, really pissing off Zod. I liked that, and the feel of the fight as far as the air bits went. It's definitely the most "dragon ball" movie I've ever seen.

edit: Aside from Matrix Revolutions, of course.

So yeah, MoS actually IS the better movie, ironically enough.

Penguin

I'm actually intrigued by opening more horror films in the summer. Traditionally feel like it's been early in the spring or October.

But seem to have had a lot of success this summer.

I'm actually intrigued by opening more horror films in the summer. Traditionally feel like it's been early in the spring or October.

But seem to have had a lot of success this summer.

Horror films are evergreen no matter the time of the year. Every studio should have figured that out by now.

kswiston

Friday studio Estimates:

1) Don't Breathe - $10.0M
2) Suicide Squad - $3.26M (-46%) - $274M total
3) Mechanic: Resurrection - $2.6M
4) Sausage Party - $2.3M (-54%) - $75M total
5) War Dogs - $2.0M (-64%) - $23M total
6) Kubo and the Two Strings - $2.0M (-52%) - $19M total
7) Pete's Dragon - $1.8M (-42%) - $49M total
8) Bad Moms - $1.7M (-32%) - $91M total
9) Jason Bourne- $1.4M (-37%) - $146M total
10) Ben Hur - $1.3M (-68%) - $16M total
11) Southside with You - $1.0M
12) Hell or High Water - $980k (+31%) - $6M total

- Suicide Squad should manage to stay under 50% this weekend. Something that both Civil War and BvS failed to do. Yay for no competition!

- Sausage Party seems to be more front loaded than I would have guessed. It should pass $100M, but won't be making this summer's top 10 list.

- Kubo is behaving pretty similar to Paranorman at this point. I'd guess a $45M or so domestic total.

- Ben Hur probably won't break $30M domestic, even with the labor day boost next wekend.

- Secret Life of Pets was bumped out of the Top 10, but it managed to pass $350M domestic on Friday.

J_Viper

I don't know how anyone could place MoS above BvS

Do y'all not remember the "dick measuring contest" line? Ot that Attack of the Clones tier opening on Krypton with Russell Crowe flying a dragon around? Or all the flashbacks being ruined by squeaky voice Clark? Or that scene with Lois on Zod's ship, with Crowe looking like a damn fool opening doors with exaggerated hand gestures?

There's nothing in BvS that matches the lowest points of MoS. That movie had some of the dumbest shit I've seen in a comic flick.

guek

Banned
I don't know how anyone could place MoS above BvS

Do y'all not remember the "dick measuring contest" line? Ot that Attack of the Clones tier opening on Krypton with Russell Crowe flying a dragon around? Or all the flashbacks being ruined by squeaky voice Clark? Or that scene with Lois on Zod's ship, with Crowe looking like a damn fool opening doors with exaggerated hand gestures?

There's nothing in BvS that matches the lowest points of MoS. That movie had some of the dumbest shit I've seen in a comic flick.
But it gave us "dicksplash."

You know, I just realized how tied to Simon Pegg Paramount is
He's a big player in Mission Impossible & Star Trek, even wrote the latter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom