• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO 08•19-21•16 - Bomba-Herp(derp) trampled as Squad slip by the dogs of war

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quake1028

Who comes up with these titles and why ?

*cringe at that title*

who ever is making these thread titles needs to be banned.

Terrible title

Bomba Herpderp huh

What a stupid thread title.

One week the title of these threads is going actually going to make me have a stroke and you better believe my lawyer already has xaosslug on speed dial.

They really are tremendously awful in every way.

guek

Banned
Tuesday's numbers

SS: $2.69m, WD: $1.92m, KatTS: $1.52m, PD: $1.48m, BH: $1.36m

This week's drops for Squad haven't been too hot

kswiston

Don't breathe got excellent reviews. Boxoffice.com bumped its weekend estimate to $20M, and I think it could get higher than that under the right circumstances.

Suicide Squad will have to settle for 3 weekends on top.

kswiston

Looks like $1.9Mish for Suicide Squad on Wednesday. The weekdays should be in the $8.3-8.4M range. I think I had it at $8.5M last thread. Final domestic gross should end up about $25M behind BvS.

Anth0ny

The top 4 grossing movies of 2016 are all Disney releases.

1. Captain America: Civil War
2 Zootopia
3 The Jungle Book
4 Finding Dory

Great year for them, BFG aside.

honestly amazing that jungle book ended up above dory

almost feels like dory underperformed. this time last year I would have had it at #3 with a bullet after civil war and star wars and over a billion with ease.

kswiston

honestly amazing that jungle book ended up above dory

almost feels like dory underperformed. this time last year I would have had it at #3 with a bullet after civil war and star wars and over a billion with ease.

Dory still has a few openings left.

Denmark 25 August 2016
Finland 26 August 2016
Norway 26 August 2016
Sweden 26 August 2016
Greece 1 September 2016
Turkey 2 September 2016
Italy 15 September 2016
Austria 29 September 2016
Germany 29 September 2016

EDIT: Those territories made $75-80M for Inside Out last year.

Denmark 25 August 2016
Finland 26 August 2016
Norway 26 August 2016
Sweden 26 August 2016
Greece 1 September 2016
Turkey 2 September 2016
Italy 15 September 2016

It's also worth noting that Dory also got direct competition by The Secret Life of Pets, which arguably put a serious dent in its box office intake.

kswiston

Pets stopped Dory from hitting 500M DOM. This was the third Pixar vs Illumination summer battle.

Pixar is going to have to blink if things keep up. At least move their films to the first week of June or the last week of May. I guess they want the summer weekdays though.

Contract renewals were coming up for the cast and they have the new CBS show coming up (which they have no part of). Bad returns make contract negotiations easier for a fourth movie and further sequels.

Busty

Banned
Contract renewals were coming up for the cast and they have the new CBS show coming up (which they have no part of). Bad returns make contract negotiations easier for a fourth movie and further sequels.

There was talk going around that the fourth Trek film that Paramount announced (with no director and no released date BTW) would be using the abandoned script for the third film that the studio deemd "too Trek".

If Paramount already had that lying around on a shelf it makes it a no brainer that they could talk a good game about a potential fourth without making any firm commitments or, crucially, spending any money.

El Topo

I doubt they wanted their movie to lose money, nor do I believe that they wanted bad returns. If the cast complains during negotiations you just move on.
I know there's still a few territories to open, so I assume it could end up in black, but either way this has to be a disappointing performance for them.

gamz

Don't Bomb

Probably safe with a $10M budget

It's going to do quite well on that budget and the great reviews. It's unbombable.

Wait. It made 1.9 on yesterday previews. It'll hit 20M or beyond. That a great number.

Denmark 25 August 2016
Finland 26 August 2016
Norway 26 August 2016
Sweden 26 August 2016
Greece 1 September 2016
Turkey 2 September 2016
Italy 15 September 2016

I feel a scattered release like this hurts the movie's BO potential. People can watch high quality pirate streams nowadays pretty much 2-3 weeks after release. It's unfortunate, but true.

Pets stopped Dory from hitting 500M DOM. This was the third Pixar vs Illumination summer battle.

WD (Pixar/Disney) vs Universal (Illumination/Dreamworks) is gearing up to be a major fight for who owns the animation movie space. Fox, Sony, Warner are all fighting for scraps IMO.

berzeli

Banned
Deadline has Dont Breathe at a lower $11.5-14M

They've upgraded it to a $20+ million opening.

Between this and The Shallows it feels like most outlets really were sleeping on Sony's horror/thriller offerings. IIRC both were expected to land openings under $10 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom