• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Announces New Halo 3 Map - Chill Out Remake (Also - Bungie Fans: Come to PAX)

GhaleonEB

Last weekend, Shishka and I put down the banhammers and bullying of Bungie.net users to head over to MLG’s event in San Diego (there’s a briefly exhaustive write-up here) with the main purpose of the being a live exhibition of Cold Storage, a remake of Halo: Combat Evolved map Chill Out.

Next week we’ll have a bit more about Cold Storage, but for now, just take a look at the map you’ve known as Chill Out, and more recently knew “Smuggler.”

coldstorage1_inline.jpg

coldstorage2_inline.jpg

High-res versions here.

Buried in the past two Weekly Updates (and subsequently in the Halo 3 thread sprawl) are two hints about PAX. I thought a bit of a PSA was in order.

PAX Teasing

This week:

August 29-31, 2008, here in Seattle. Be there. We will be.

Last week:

Expos eh?

In August (specifically between 29-31), Penny-Arcade will host their annual, engorged, and eponymously-titled Penny Arcade Expo here in Seattle. In the interest of doing our due diligence, while still retaining our “we don’t tell you anything ever” sensibilities, if you’re a fan of Bungie and our games – this is the year to come to PAX. Consider yourself informed and warned. We’ll have more on this soon.

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=14219

Hmmmm.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Awesome - those screens look almost like paintings even...

It's like they improved their engine even better than it already was...

KevinRo

Skilotonn said:
Awesome - those screens look almost like paintings even...

It's like they improved their engine even better than it already was...

The pictures have had the Anti-Alaising touch up. The game does look amazing though, but not THAT good.

I can't wait for the map though. Halo1 was such a good Multiplayer game.:D

Dizzan

MINI Member
What are the chances of Bungie going Multi-platform now they are free?

Am I dreaming? I'd love to see their games on Wii/PS3.

TDG

Banned
Dizzan said:

Slim to none, it seems.

Kibbles

This map really captures that Halo vibe and atmosphere. I love the forerunner and covenant designed maps a lot, very mysterious and interesting. I like the little things too, like the cold fog floating on the ground and the bubbles going up in the flood specimen tube. I hope there is some sort of interactivity with that, like if you shoot it, the specimen twitches or something, that'd be pretty cool - or have him doing something during the length of the match.

Sibylus

Banned
Kibbles said:
This map really captures that Halo vibe and atmosphere. I love the forerunner and covenant designed maps a lot, very mysterious and interesting. I like the little things too, like the cold fog floating on the ground and the bubbles going up in the flood specimen tube. I hope there is some sort of interactivity with that, like if you shoot it, the specimen twitches or something, that'd be pretty cool - or have him doing something during the length of the match.
"Test-tube farts"

Dama

Banned
hopefully this will be free

i already spend $20 on dlc for halo 3 and i also bought the legendary edition.

sixthsubset said:
again!? are you people ever happy?

My fault, I don't follow whats going on with the game enough. I had no idea of this Blackout until I just did a search for the map packs.....:lol

GhaleonEB

shagg_187 said:
Halo Wars in PAX...
Bungie is not making Halo Wars, so they won't be showing it. I think the real clues are in the link at the end of the OP. Bungie's been tossing out hints.

Heck, Luke was wearing a Superintendent shirt when he unveiled this map at MLG last Saturday.

DSC_3947.jpg

Hootie

Is the flood shit in the level really necessary? I absolutely loathed the level "Cortana" during the campaign. I suppose if there isn't too much (which is what it looks like), it'll be awesome.

GhaleonEB said:
Bungie is not making Halo Wars, so they won't be showing it. I think the real clues are in the link at the end of the OP. Bungie's been tossing out hints.

Heck, Luke was wearing a Superintendent shirt when he unveiled this map at MLG last Saturday.

[IMGhttp://www.mlgpro.com/gallery/albums/2008_SanDiego_ChillOut/DSC_3947.jpg[/IMG]

their new game is going to be about a janitor?

JdFoX187

Banned
a Master Ninja said:
I hope we can kill that thing [/false hope]
vmvm68.jpg
My god, this picture alone makes me want to dig that game up somewhere and play it. And you're right, there are some striking similarities.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
GhaleonEB said:

DSC_3947.jpg
Thats sooo Marathon. Lone guy in a ship.... cleaning out everything.

squicken

For 07/07/07 we got a Marty gamerpic and a theme. I wouldn't get my hopes too high for Bungie Day this year. They don't control pricing on DLC. That's all MS.

Bungle remake of Chiron TL-34 plz

GhaleonEB

MirageDwarf said:
Oh. Totally forgot about that. Not following weekly update, but did Bungie say/show any hint to expect something on Bungie day?
Yeah.

From two weeks ago:

Bungie Day

Since June just began, it might seem a bit premature to talk about July – so we won’t.

7/7 approaches.

Whiteboards are blanketed in plans.

This week:

7/7…
… is 17 days away.

Tieno

I don't even remember Chill Out, but I like the look of this map.
PAX is too long away.
Dizzan said:

They still have an exclusive relationship with MS for the next couple of years (which I imagine MS can reew)

Ramirez

squicken said:
For 07/07/07 we got a Marty gamerpic and a theme. I wouldn't get my hopes too high for Bungie Day this year. They don't control pricing on DLC. That's all MS.

Nothing can top the power of Marty obviously, but I'm pretty sure this year's will be pretty sweet as well.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Tieno said:
I don't even remember Chill Out, but I like the look of this map.
PAX is too long away.

They still have an exclusive relationship with MS for the next couple of years (which I imagine MS can reew)

Thanks. So they "broke free" because they wanted to do something other than Halo?

Sean

Banned
The teleporters are blue instead of green? Way to completely ruin the map!

Bungie fails at yet another remake. Fucking amateurs.

Proc

They can't be referring to the Halo 3 PC port...or could they?

PAX must be marathon for iphone and an announcement for a new marathon game for pc/mac?

eso76

cool, chill out is the best mp map in the whole halo history.
they need to bring all halo 1 maps back, though.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
GhaleonEB said:

DSC_3947.jpg

Who is the guy on the far right with the muscles?:D

Monocle

Looks great, and the Flood bits suggest there might be some interesting backstory to this map. Good stuff.

7/7/08 - Cold Storage Released for free.

E3 2008 - "Superintendent" Game Announced

PAX 2008 - "Superintendent" and New Map Pack Blow-out.

I'm calling it.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
snack said:
7/7/08 - Cold Storage Released for free.

E3 2008 - "Superintendent" Game Announced

PAX 2008 - "Superintendent" and New Map Pack Blow-out.

I'm calling it.
Oh God, yes. All over my fucking face, Bungie.

Kibbles

squicken said:

Perhaps, but now that Bungie is free, they can unveil their next title whenever they want... 7/7 ?

Kibbles

neojubei said:
Who is the guy on the far right with the muscles?:D
That would be Karma, a MLG Pro lol. He used to be obese, but one of his team-mates got him in this work-out program and... yeah, he's been all muscular since. He is like the Jared of MLG. ;p

Top Bottom