• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Announces New Halo 3 Map - Chill Out Remake (Also - Bungie Fans: Come to PAX)

Kibbles said:
Perhaps, but now that Bungie is free, they can unveil their next title whenever they want... 7/7 ?
No way. Too soon. It is definitely going to be Cold Storage for free. They are doing a more in-depth look next BWU. Then that leaves eight days until my proposed release. That seems to be more in line with what Bungie typically does. Besides, I am sure Microsoft would let them release one map for free. It would bring more people back to the game to check out the new free map, which would set up well for the next map pack release which is edging closer (late July they begin teasing, release in August).

GhaleonEB

snack said:
7/7/08 - Cold Storage Released for free.

E3 2008 - "Superintendent" Game Announced

PAX 2008 - "Superintendent" and New Map Pack Blow-out.

I'm calling it.
I'm trying not to set expectations too high for myself, but one thing struck me about the unveiling of this map: Microsoft isn't supporting it with any PR or assets. When the first screens from the Heroic and Legendary map packs were show, Microsoft put out PR announcing them, complete with the name of the map pack. It was all over xbox.com.

Here Bungie unveiled it themselves at MLG last week, in a fairly low-key way, then put up two screens on their website - and still nothing from Microsoft. And no word of the next map pack title or timing. There's two other maps Bungie has talked about, code named Moonbase Alpha and Purple Reign. The conventional wisdom is that Cold Storage would be the third map in the next set.

But Luke killed that notion.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11604728&postcount=57692

CrypticGuardian said:
Luke said "Smuggler" was the code name for Cold Storage. It will be included, along with Purple Reign and Moonbase Alpha, in the next map pack.

Luke said:
The first sentence is a fact.
The second one is an incorrect assumption ;b <3 u CG

So this map is NOT being released in a pack with the next two. Which raises the question of how/when it comes out, and why Microsoft isn't promoting it.

Which makes me think that's because Microsoft won't make any money off promoting it. So maybe the Bungie Day theory is correct. Hmmm.

I think that quote from Luke settles it.

Who is up for a ban bet to make this interesting? Two week ban for me if Cold Storage doesn't come out on Bungie Day.

So the current assumption is that Cold Storage is a free bonus map for Bungie Day (7/7), which would mean we can expect a total of 4 more maps for Halo 3?

And these green plunger guys are hints of a new project?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
The Lamonster said:
So the current assumption is that Cold Storage is a free bonus map for Bungie Day (7/7), which would mean we can expect a total of 4 more maps for Halo 3?

And these green plunger guys are hints of a new project?

All good guesses, but as always, nothing concrete yet.

Kibbles

snack said:
I think that quote from Luke settles it.

Who is up for a ban bet to make this interesting? Two week ban for me if Cold Storage doesn't come out on Bungie Day.
Oh shit :lol I think that quote from Luke settles it too, but now plans may be changed just to get you banned ;p

Kibbles said:
Oh shit :lol I think that quote from Luke settles it too, but now plans may be changed just to get you banned ;p
I wouldn't be surprised if Luke came into this thread on Bungie Day calling me out for my banning.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
GhaleonEB said:
I'm up in St. Helens. Small world. I'm heading up with a few other folks from 'round these parts.

I'm only two thousand miles away! Fuck!

Nutter

GhaleonEB said:
I'm up in St. Helens. Small world. I'm heading up with a few other folks from 'round these parts.
Awesome! Room for one more? :p

I am actually trying to get Oml3t/Domino to drive up to Portland so we can go. :lol
and EasyB is in Washington already! hmm.

Ill have to plan this thing out.

TDG

Banned
You guys drive to Ohio and pick me up, and I'll let you guys enjoy my company.

Ohio's not too far out of your way, right?

TDG

Banned
Buttonbasher said:
While you're here, come pick me up too.
One year, likely after PAX has become money-less and obsolete, PAX will come to Columbus, and us midwestern Halo-GAFers will all go to the show and leave out the west-coasters.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Kibbles said:
That would be Karma, a MLG Pro lol. He used to be obese, but one of his team-mates got him in this work-out program and... yeah, he's been all muscular since. He is like the Jared of MLG. ;p

I'll play Halo 3 with him anytime. :D

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
fatty_fatty_fatcakes.jpg

Is it just me or does Chunky here look like his shirt buttons were undone just before he went on stage?

Adjusting himself just right so that the image on his under-shirt pokes out just right.
And distract from the moobage?

That or he dressed himself in the dark and "forgot" about the rest of the shirt buttons. =)

GhaleonEB

LukeSmith said:
YES NUTTER, YES

Oh, shit. NeoGAF Halo Thread Super Meet-Up PAX 08?
It will happen. We shall make it so.

Hey Dani, you should come too. So you can say that kind of shit to Luke's face.

I played the hell out of Halo: CE but sometimes I have trouble getting the names of certain maps confused. Not sure if I remember exactly which map Chill Out was. Maybe I do...Maybe I don't. Anyway, with a Chill Out remake, we need a Midship remake as well! Too bad we known that Purple Reign IS NOT Midship. Regardless looking forward to more Halo 3 DLC, 7/7 , PAX, and more from our friends at Bungie.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:

I'm protected by an ocean. =P

And besides, I probally weight more than him anyways. At least I'm being light hearted and not malicious, Buddha knows what some of the more disgruntled Halo fans would and have called him.

Take away the ocean and I'll face him moob to moob. :lol

joey_z

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
It will happen. We shall make it so.

You say that is if under his warm fuzzy exterior lies a beast. But the truth is that there's just more warmth and more fuzziness. Go with a cake and you'll be fine.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
joey_z said:
You say that is if under his warm fuzzy exterior lies a beast. But the truth is that there's just more warmth and more fuzziness. Go with a cake and you'll be fine.

More people need to approach others offering cake, ultimate peace offering.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Dani said:
fatty_fatty_fatcakes.jpg

Is it just me or does Chunky here look like his shirt buttons were undone just before he went on stage?

Adjusting himself just right so that the image on his under-shirt pokes out just right.
And distract from the moobage?

That or he dressed himself in the dark and "forgot" about the rest of the shirt buttons. =)

I'd hit it.

Fucking nice. And unlike some of their other remakes, it still seems to retain the feel of the original. Nice cool blue feel and it just looks ace.

Give me one more map pack bungie. Beaver Creek, Midship, Prisoner, and Blood Gulch and we're good to go.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
GAF Halo 3 meetup needs to happen.

coldstorage2_inline.jpg

I saw someone on HBO point out that that blue light may be Penitent Tangent in sort sort of contraption on the ceiling.

Reminds me of GLaDOS.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Immortal_Daemon said:
Are you sure the right-side one is accurate? Aside from the ramp, it looks like a completely different section of the level.
Yeah, the right side one is the same area. Besides the obvious aesthetic changes, the basic geometry is all in the same places.

GhaleonEB

Cocopjojo said:
GAF Halo 3 meetup needs to happen.

coldstorage2_inline.jpg

I saw someone on HBO point out that that blue light may be Penitent Tangent in sort sort of contraption on the ceiling.

Reminds me of GLaDOS.
Disgruntled Gamer posted a close-up in the Halo thread. It absolutely looks like a Monitor. And given the fiction snippets about "The Smuggler" from the Weekly Updates, I agree it might be Penitent Tangent.

35jl4rm.jpg

To Bungie's advantage, they made a lot of classic maps in Halo: CE and Halo 2. Each time they put out Halo 3 DLC, they can include at least one remake in the package. Amongst other maps I'd like to see...Boarding Action, Midship and Ivory Tower.

Top Bottom