• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Business Insider: Nintendo's stock rose 33% since Friday. It's highest since 1983.

120v

The investors were entirely right about mobile and Nintendo's need to get into that market. I've never understood people that doubted that Nintendo could succeed there.

well its Pokemon. sort of its own thing and it's perfect for mobile

nintendo still has a lot to prove on the mobile front imo

Zero83

Great news for Nintendo.

I do not want to see their resources being focused on mobile games though, at all. I have no interest in mobile gaming whatsoever, outside of Clash of Clans. I want to be able to play my Nintendo games on a TV with a controller.

I don't think it is highest since 1983.

6IUxlUR1V9GZx5EUcvrcTqFT8gHlS.jpg

Though, this rise in their stock feels like the most legit rise ever. Pokemon Go is changing how we view software, I think.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Uh... why exactly?

Edit: nevermind, Pokemon go.

This is what investors have wanted them to do for about half a decade, and even if the Pokemon series isn't 100% theirs, it shows that the thought process around the potential for Nintendo's IP on mobile was correct.

The game has astronomical user acquisition, it shot to #1 on the top grossing chart, and generated tremendous brand awareness and discussion, which can filter into other products and merchandizing.

It matters less if Pokemon GO itself holds its position, and more that it proves that with the right product, Nintendo's IPs can explode in the incredibly lucrative mobile market.

b3b0p

OP's title is a little confusing.

This is the biggest one day move. It's still far a way from any all time high.

I would say Mario Kart is their next biggest franchise that has this type of mass appeal across such a large age range. I'm curious if they're going to attempt something with that. Granted, Pokemon's mechanics are perfect for a social structure like this.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
... This game is only a week old. Will it have staying power or is this a Flappy Bird phenom?

You can't predict the mobile market. I will be legit impressed if this game hangs around in the public eye.

But yeah this does seem like Wii Sports all over again. It will not be long until we seem AR mobile game imitators.

Gator86

Pokemon go is easily one of the best Nintendo related games ever made

The game is simple and brainless, runs like shit, and has servers that are down more than they're up. It's a cool premise, but that's all it is. The brand name and social components carry it more than anything about the game itself.

Great news for Nintendo.

I do not want to see their resources being focused on mobile games though, at all. I have no interest in mobile gaming whatsoever, outside of Clash of Clans. I want to be able to play my Nintendo games on a TV with a controller.

Their strategy is to use mobile to increase the visibility of their IP. They still want to release dedicated hardware so as long as NX is profitable and aomewhat successful I don't think we have anything to worry about.

I'm not sure the people plying Pokemon Go will translate into NX Console sales, but increasing the number of people who are familiar with their IP while making money is a good thing overall for Nintendo.

... This game is only a week old. Will it have staying power or is this a Flappy Bird phenom?

You can't predict the mobile market. I will be legit impressed if this game hangs around in the public eye.

But yeah this does seem like Wii Sports all over again. It will not be long until we seem AR mobile game imitators.

This kind of popularity and user acquisition out of the gate is impressive on its own, especially considering how expensive advertising is usually how top mobile games acquire their customers and Nintendo has done it on the cheap with just the power of Pokemon. It's not being driven by the uniqueness of the concept, AR games are nothing new.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
The game is simple and brainless, runs like shit, and has servers that are down more than they're up. It's a cool premise, but that's all it is. The brand name and social components carry it more than anything about the game itself.

Lol... So Wii Sports?

Maybe that's harsh , but I didn't think much of that game.

Gutss

Meh another flappy bird comparison lol, that thing generates copy cats in no time, as for this i dont think you cant battle pokemon with something like random monsters, so its a big NO.

Vena

Didn't they invest 20 million into niantic and wasn't iwata was a designer on this?

Iwata was a big part of getting this planned out over many years behind the scenes, yes. Even long before they made their plans for mobile public.

Infinite

Iwata was a big part of getting this planned out over many years behind the scenes, yes. Even long before they made their plans for mobile public.
So it's prob more accurate to say that this isn't apart of their DeNA partnership

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Agreed. I think it will fizzle out after people catch a few Pokemon and realize there isn't much else.
Should last longer than Miitomo but that isn't saying much.

Vena

What is Nintendo going to do with all this money?

Probably shore up investments, plans, NX deals and marketing, secure other opportunities, reinvest a lot of it elsewhere, and so on.

A good chunk of it will still be with the TPC for the brand growth and expansion and such.

So it's prob more accurate to say that this isn't apart of their DeNA partnership

It is not, no. This is parallel but not related directly.

bachikarn

The investors were entirely right about mobile and Nintendo's need to get into that market. I've never understood people that doubted that Nintendo could succeed there.

This is the biggest game Nintendo has been involved with since Wii Sports.

Mobile was always a good fit for Nintendo. I would argue that mobile is the natural evolution to what they started with DS

HOWEVER, Nintendo probably doesn't like they have to give a royalty to Apple and Google and they don't like they can't sell games for $40. They will eventually transition after this success I imagine.

Dennis

Banned
Probably shore up investments, plans, NX deals and marketing, secure other opportunities, reinvest a lot of it elsewhere, and so on.

A good chunk of it will still be with the TPC for the brand growth and expansion and such.

That is all very boring.

Is it too late to put a better GPU in the NX?

Nintendo: Please stop hamstringing yourself by insisting on making hardware. Sky's the limit for your software when not suppressed by your shitty platform decisions.

Mobile was always a good fit for Nintendo. I would argue that mobile is the natural evolution to what they started with DS

HOWEVER, Nintendo probably doesn't like they have to give a royalty to Apple and Google and they don't like they can't sell games for $40. They will eventually transition after this success I imagine.

What do you mean "eventually transition"? They already have a mobile plan in place.

If you think the success of this app means Nintendo is going to start planning on an exit from dedicated console gaming, then lol

Nintendo: Please stop hamstringing yourself by insisting on making hardware. Sky's the limit for your software when not suppressed by your shitty platform decisions.

Had a feeling this topic was gonna be met with the lovely "NINTENDO GO THIRD PARTY" responses.

Gutss

It's also worth noting that Nintendo is developing the bluetooth accessory for the game. They are absolutely involved, and it's really weird that people are really wanting to try and make it out as if they aren't.

And this is shown on the treehouse with miyamoto, that alone can answer alot of this questions if they watched e3 2016.

As per the other thread, all money related to pokemon goes to Nintendo BEFORE it goes to the Pokemon Company apparently, and then some is distributed to them, but not equal to their 70% ownership of themselves. It is very confusing.

Who knows how much Niantic is getting though.

Also, thanks for the link above. Thread title should say biggest gain since 1983 in a single day or whatever. Not highest price.

Mesoian

Having a blast is the point of a game.

This game is potentially doing that for far more people much more quickly than any Nintendo game ever has.

So yeah, absolutely in the running for best game.

Let's see if it has legs beyond a month. People were saying the exact same thing on the first week of Miitomo and look how that turned out.

IMO - Nintendo's mobile endevours are great proof of concepts, but they're so thin, they can be forgotten about after a matter of days. That might be the point, but...::Shrug::

The mobile transition is all but assured now. Nintendo was always going to be safe with the strength of their IP, but this is unprecedented.

If NX sinks worse that the Wii U and so does it's successor, then Nintendo has nothing to lose. However, even a modest success can make Nintendo billions and then get so much more on software, so they won't let that go unless they are left with no other option. What they are doing is trying to keep up with the times. Mobile can help with the brand awareness needed to revitalize them, which is was what Iwata was talking about. Give people a taste of the brand, get them to like it, and then let them know where they can get more (aka Nintendo hardware). I know Mobile is a dirty word for a lot of people, but what Nintendo is doing at the moment with the Wii U and how they handled the later half of the Wii isn't working for them.

For right now, though, this is a great revenue stream and helps a ton with brand awareness for those who have fallen away from Nintendo in the past five or ten years. Add in some well made movies for their biggest franchises and merchandise it correctly and Nintendo is looking at a boat load of money coming in from all sides.

KingBroly

Banned
What do you mean "eventually transition"? They already have a mobile plan in place.

If you think the success of this app means Nintendo is going to start planning on an exit from dedicated console gaming, then lol

If NX fails, they're going mobile only. There will be no third party Nintendo games on PC, Playstation or Xbox. That's what he's saying.

RagnarokX

Man, I remember stockholders imploring Nintendo to go mobile years ago, and people kept talking about what idiots those people are, and how it would be the end of Nintendo if they did that.

We need to see how things play out. Nobody argued that Nintendo wouldn't get success from releasing mobile games. The worries people, Nintendo especially, have is that releasing mobile games could devalue their console games.

It matters less if Pokemon GO itself holds its position, and more that it proves that with the right product, Nintendo's IPs can explode in the incredibly lucrative mobile market.

Has anyone ever doubted that Nintendo franchises could do great on mobile? Whether Nintendo could make a lot of money or not in the mobile market was never a question. Plus "with the right product" is a qualifier that applies to everything - new IPs from unknown devs can explode, with the right product.

What matters more is what you said before. A lot of people talking about Nintendo and talking about them in positive terms is really encouraging because it could cross over to their dedicated hardware/software business, which is what Nintendo actually wants to keep doing long term.

Astral Dog

quality is also a big concern when transitioning to mobile (not that its impossible, some series will make it better than others, but they will want to have a proper handheld for their own market too)

Mesoian

While true, the last thing I want to do is let Google or Apple dictate how games are supposed to be played. None of the major mobile players seem interested in taking a serious stance when it comes to gaming. Devs just do the best with what they've got...which results in a lot of subpar control schemes.

MisterHero

Yeah.

Pokémon GO is competing with Twitter's userbase, does anyone seriously expect that success to carry onto ANY other IP?

Can a series as popular as Mario Kart succeed on a platform without real controls? Maybe Nintendo could make a controller add-on. Who knows?

Or they can have their own platform where they don't have to give 30% royalties to anyone. Have real controls, and better battery life?

Top Bottom