• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Californication Season 7 |OT| Sundays 9.30pm ET/PT on Showtime

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ending wasn't amazing. It wasn't Dexter-bad either. Show has been kinda down-hill since S4, I guess it's good that they ended it on their own terms in a way.

Jerrod

It didn't end, the show just stopped. There were absolutely zero resolutions, but I guess it was fitting for a show where every season the exact same things happen and everything just repeats.

I know this goes against the grain, but I liked it pretty much all the way through. Sure, it could have stood to have been a couple of seasons shorter, and kind of ambled on doing its own thing for too long, but there was always a great one-liner, a Runkle fuck-up or a "muthafuckaaaa" just around the corner, and I kind of loved it for that.

There's a line in the finale where Hank says something about being a big old mess, and it struck me that the show is very much like its central character - it should have settled down a long time ago, it's spent far too long messing about, and yet it's done so in a ramshackle but hugely charming way. For me, it was always about the characters rather than the plot, and I enjoyed seeing Hank and Runkle and Marcy etc just being funny and likeable.

I'd be tempted to strike much of Season 6 from the record, and I felt this season slightly cheapened Hank's relationship with Becca - which always felt like a grounding element both for Hank and the series itself - but it pulled things together well for a sweet ending that still feels like an ellipsis rather than a full stop. Oh, and the final montage was really well-judged - kind of beautiful and sad at the same time.

I'm glad they didn't drag it out any longer, but at the same time I'll miss those guys.

RoySFNR

We're doing open spoilerinos here?

The finale felt whatever to me. None of the events hit as hard as the earlier stuff. I really feel like they had too much to do in one episode. Becca has only been back since episode 11 which is the only thing setting up the final episode. There were still far too many story archs to resolve within the period of 30 minutes which made them resort to really unbelievable things. The chick in the bar that ended up with Levon didn't show any interest in him at all when they met earlier, and suddenly, they hit it off? Okay. Julia was into Hank, but suddenly ends up with Raf? Right.

We also have no idea what Hank's gonna do. Is he going to write his own show? Is it suggested that Californication is the show he wrote? Is Karen going to get angry for whatever reason about two days after they make up again? Is Becca actually marrying that fat dude with the clown hair? Is Hank going to stay in New York after the wedding like he used to want?

At the end of the day, I still had chills kick in once rocket man started and the flashback reel started, but mostly because of what the show used to be. This season only came close once with the flashback episode.

It didn't end, the show just stopped. There were absolutely zero resolutions, but I guess it was fitting for a show where every season the exact same things happen and everything just repeats.

But Levon got a girl.

Christ, I'm just glad it's over.

tino

Banned
So I haven't watched any new season since Hank drove away into the sunset in s4.

GAF tell me should I bother the last few seasons? What's the hilarious Runkle hijinks/hot naked chick to boring episodes ratio?

Siegcram

So I haven't watched any new season since Hank drove away into the sunset in s4.

GAF tell me should I bother the last few seasons? What's the hilarious Runkle hijinks/hot naked chick to boring episodes ratio?
Generally each later season is just a rehash of old jokes, new tits and another random, crazy asshole Hank has to work for.

S5 actually had some really good episodes. 6 is the worst season for me, though Maggie Grace was one of the best alternative-love-interests to date. 7 was very hit and miss, but I honestly thought the ending was really sweet. If you felt that the ending of 4 was a good way to finish it, then maybe just pretend that was it, but I'm personally glad I stuck with it, whereas I entirely regretted continuing to watch Dexter to the bitter end.

Razdek

Banned
What a shit season and it went on one season too long. Levon story line was crap and this should have been a redemption season for Hank.

tino

Banned
S5 actually had some really good episodes. 6 is the worst season for me, though Maggie Grace was one of the best alternative-love-interests to date. 7 was very hit and miss, but I honestly thought the ending was really sweet. If you felt that the ending of 4 was a good way to finish it, then maybe just pretend that was it, but I'm personally glad I stuck with it, whereas I entirely regretted continuing to watch Dexter to the bitter end.

Doesn't sound too promising. I may still play it in the background then.

RangersFan

lol, I wouldn't call it a terrible finale, but as said it just ends with a whimper. so was Marcy and Runkle moving into the old Moody house? what happened to their money troubles?

El Daniel

So the final episode of Californication airs on Sunday. Here's hoping they can give the show at least a half-decent send off.

The Season 4 finale will still remain as the perfect send off for me.

The Season 4 ending with Hank riding off into the sunset was amazing.

Should have ended there.

So did this show end with the creators and Duchovny speaking to the audience explaining that the whole show was based off Charles Bukowski?

Because I hope it did.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
What a stupid fucking ending to the show. I know they dragged it out for season after season, but there were definitely much better 'endings' that this show could've ridden out on.

Not Dexter levels of bad, but it definitely shows me that the show was stretched out way too long.

I'm glad it's over. Didn't find the finale offensive or anything but the show lasted a few years too many. It was good in the beginning though.

It wasn't Dexter bad, as already mentioned. At the same time, it didn't have a memorable ending like a Six Feet Under either. I think the show was really being self-referential when Hank said he "didn't know how to end things". I'll miss Runkel, Hank, and some of the other characters though. No regrets watching the series. It was fun.

This finale felt like season finale, not a series finale. But this final shot of sunset and and empty Porshe is amazing.
I still think that Hank should've ended up with Maggy Grace, she was amazing.
I still enjoyed this show and this season very much. Hank was still funny, Charlie was still doing stupid stuff. That's what i love this show for.

I'm not anywhere near caught up, cause Sculli made me realize I still haven't even finished season 4.

But... with that said... I've always felt like the show should end with Hank and Karen. That feels right. I mean, I really can't stand it when the show ends with the main character ending up with some random made up character they just introduced for the finale. Frasier really bummed me out in this regard. Laura Linney was *not* the right way to end his journey.

MormaPope

Banned
Decent ending, but....all Showtime shows should be capped at 1 season.

This is.....

actually a great idea.

I thought the first season of Californication was pretty damn good. The second season was alright, can't remember much after that. Should rewatch the first three seasons.

Karen's a horrible person, he should've just stayed with Heather Graham.
No. With Maggy Grace

120913-californiacation-600-1386624994.jpg

Radec

I like it.

I'm gonna miss the chiks that Moody banged while he was not with Karen tho.

lol, I wouldn't call it a terrible finale, but as said it just ends with a whimper. so was Marcy and Runkle moving into the old Moody house? what happened to their money troubles?

Stu still gave the million dollars even without the sex because Runkle will fuck him up if he didn't.

Karen was the bomb. Then they wrote her into something terrible. First three seasons Karen was absolutely worth the struggle.

Natasha Mcelhone being nice on the eyes helps.

CassSept

Should I watch it if I dropped the show at the beginning of the season 6 (ep 2 I think?)? Or will I be confused about what's happening?

It wasn't Dexter bad, as already mentioned. At the same time, it didn't have a memorable ending like a Six Feet Under either. I think the show was really being self-referential when Hank said he "didn't know how to end things". I'll miss Runkel, Hank, and some of the other characters though. No regrets watching the series. It was fun.

That's a really high bar to set given SFU had one of the best series finales of all time ;)

My personal yardstick for a series finale is that as long as it doesn't shit the bed, it's a win. It must be incredibly hard to close out a story that has been going on for years and manage to satisfy everyone who's still invested.

Should I watch it if I dropped the show at the beginning of the season 6 (ep 2 I think?)? Or will I be confused about what's happening?

It'll be quite familiar given that the story never really moves forward in the last few season. They keep going around in circles with the same stories. Honestly, unless you feel obligated to finish a show you watched for 5 years, there's not really much point in watching what you've missed.

Sadist

Should have ended three seasons back. Hank driving towards New York with "You can't always get what you want"' playing was the best ending. I have to admit though that the final shot of the empty Porshe with the Californian sun on the background was a good choice. And while this season was a bit pointless, I secretely like the happy ending for Hank, Karen, Runks and Marcy. Had a bit of a d'aaaaaaw moment.

Tokubetsu

Should have ended three seasons back. Hank driving towards New York with "You can't always get what you want"' playing was the best ending. I have to admit though that the final shot of the empty Porshe with the Californian sun on the background was a good choice. And while this season was a bit pointless, I secretely like the happy ending for Hank, Karen, Runks and Marcy. Had a bit of a d'aaaaaaw moment.

Like I know we kinda beat it to death here but that was seriously the best ending. Hank and Karen both lowkey agreeing that if they haven't worked by this point, they probably never will while at the same time being okay with it. Not to mention Hank realizing california was poison to him. The empty porsche was nice but it feels wasted on this ending.

aku:jiki

I think that's the worst finale I've ever seen, and mostly due to the preceding season. The resolutions were all what they needed to be; Hank growing up, Marcy/Runkle falling back in love and Levon becoming less of a weirdo. Becca kinda didn't really get an ending... She needed a better confrontation with her dad and more of a presence in the season.

Problem was the season did almost nothing to set any of this up. Marcy/Runkle were already remarried so their ending was kinda pointless and Hank and Levon were supposed to be growing together and because of each other, but there was no time for that inbetween all the anal sex with hookers and other random shenanigans.

Hollow, pointless ending. Don't even get me started on the implication that the whole show is meta and something Hank wrote.

I had watched the final earlier this morning, and I have to say that it didn't feel like a final series episode. They really didn't tie up much of anything...

Oh well, at least it's finally finished...

JustinBB7

I'll miss the show, season finale was kinda.. weird. Just ended randomly really with the same stuff hank has always done, try and do something nice for Karen and hope she likes it.

Still, I'll miss it a lot, always made me laugh.

Denton

Watched the season over two days, finished the finale now, at 2 AM

Loved this season. Sure, finale was kinda safe, nonscandalous, nontwisty, just...ordinary...but that is how I always saw this show ending. Life goes on.

But man, this season. I am pissed it was the last season because I really enjoyed all the new characters - Fantastically amazing Heather Graham as Julia, her son Levon (who was weird in premiere, and became entertaining once he revealed himself as Hank's kid), Christopher from Sopranos Rick Rath, returning Krull, The motherfucking Pimp whose presence in one of the episodes was hilarious..
The escapades of Runkle/Marcy/Stu were hit and miss, and kind of a repeat, but they did not bore me.
But I would really love one more season with these new characters, with maybe Becca and Levon interacting, with Hank writing his own show (so much potential there! the scenes in the writer's room were awesome!)...

I am bummed. I usually like when shows are ending, but in this case, I want more. I laughed like crazy during this season. Much better then the previous one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom