• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada: Amazon Reduces Prime's 20% Video Game Pre-Order Discount to 10%

Levito

Banned
I just can't do $80 for standard editions of games anymore. Even if it's something I was really excited for.

So I just canceled my subscription and was surprised that there wasn't even one of those quick questionnaires asking why I was cancelling. Guess they don't care.

Hazu

It's still 10% more than every other retailer has to offer. Still, it sucks and I will surely not renew my subscription next month. Won't preorder any game until next E3. Your loss, Amazon.

Kibe

Neo Member
WTF Amazon?

What did we do to deserve this?

Hopefully they reverse this asap, I don't see the point.

Bizzquik

Just keep pushing people into digital, guys

Join us, its glorious.
You'll stop caring about retailer prices and only be on the look out for good deals on PSN/XBL/Steam/eShop credit...

Losing out on trade-in credit stops hurting after a while - especially as your backlog gets so ridiculous that you aren't even sure what year that game you wanted back-in-the-day actually came out.
Also, you'll come to love Monday nights for Xbox, Tuesday afternoons for PlayStation, and watching your Steam wishlist all days in-between.

I regret nothing.

It's still 10% more than every other retailer has to offer. Still, it sucks and I will surely not renew my subscription next month. Won't preorder any game until next E3. Your loss, Amazon.

Yeah but if you only buy prime for games then you need to order a decent amount to even come out ahead if youre paying 79.99 a year right out of the gate.

ZeroEdge

does the 20% discount happen when you preorder?

cuz i'm assuming those prices are locked in once you preorder so those should be safe

unless the 20% doesn't kick in right away, then OFF TO BEST BUY

They don't lock in the price at time of pre-order.I just checked and my invoice now states a total of $288 instead of $256 which means they apply the discount just before shipping and they already reassessed it to 10% instead of 20%. Needless to say I've cancelled my last 4 pre-orders now.

jaybe00

Neo Member
Next time a store has a sale, buy from them instead of waiting for Amazon to match them.

So much this. The reality is, Amazon's sales are often just reactionary to what EB Games, Walmart or Best Buy do. As consumers, I think we should aim to reward the initiator of the discount versus the me-too price matcher. When the initiators are gone, so will be the incentive for Amazon to have discounts, and you get stunts like this.

For the OP, the other big 'fuck you' to consumers was taking away the eligibility for the 20% discount two weeks following a game's launch. With games so expensive at launch, it was nice to see if something was, at the very least, a critical hit before purchasing.

Not sure they'll do this in the US, but Prime's game discount has always been a half-assed response to Best Buy's GCU. They limit the discount to pre-orders and 2 weeks after release to try to pressure you to buy the game in the release window or 'lose the discount'. It never seems to stack with any other sales (which makes sense since by the time a game goes on a decent sale you're typically out of the 2 week release window). Now GCU doesn't stack with Black Friday sales, but pretty much any other sale they run stacks with the 20% GCU discount.

I still have Prime for the other perks, but at $30 for 2 years, GCU has been essential for me for buying physical games.

Same. GCU gives you discounts even on clearance games. $8 for a game is better than $10. Way more flexible.

I'd have switched to GCU a long time ago, but I can't as long as they do their preauthorization stuff. So I'm still sticking with Amazon unless they pull that crap here, then I'll go somewhere else.

Join us, its glorious.
You'll stop caring about retailer prices and only be on the look out for good deals on PSN/XBL/Steam/eShop credit...

Losing out on trade-in credit stops hurting after a while - especially as your backlog gets so ridiculous that you aren't even sure what year that game you wanted back-in-the-day actually came out.
Also, you'll come to love Monday nights for Xbox, Tuesday afternoons for PlayStation, and watching your Steam wishlist all days in-between.

I regret nothing.

I respect your game, but I and others got a Switch, PS4 pro, for nearly 50% off thanks to convenient timed trade ins. Same with PS4 at launch. Getting decent money for fad-of-the-week kinect games. That was glorious, The regrets if buying those digital, too much.

All digital is extremely difficult if you're a medium or high volume buyer on a budget.

Coxy100

Banned
That sucks for Canadian GAF

Be grateful it's not as bad as ours in the UK though - we get a pathetic £2 off pre orders...

big_z

Last time i did the e3 deal they screwed up most of my preorders and customer service took over an hour to figure out how 20% off works despite typing it out piece by piece. To make things worse they purposely hold back shipments to bundle them with other "shipping soon"(which could be weeks) orders to save cash even if you choose to ship separately. They do so to try and push you to prime. Buying from Amazon is nothing but constantly getting jerked around, order errors and unreliable shipping. I don't now how a company people seem to love in the states can be so awful in Canada.

Our dollar has actually gone up in recent months.

It's been getting weaker again for the last 3 weeks. Still not as bad as it was but inching its way back to the dump.

Linkura

Savitar

You want to know what's worse about this?

The real bad thing about this.

The SNES classic.

I swear they know....and they will probably do it....

Lexxism

I'd be fucking livid if I were Canadian. Amazon Canada done fucked up. Hopefully y'all's equivalent of an Attorney General can go after them for this.
They are probably doesn't give a shit to us. That's why they are doing this. Fuck them though

ZugZug123

That's Amazon's MO. They might take some upfront losses to get new customers in. Once they get what they want they change terms. Even better if they kill a competitor that did not have their deep pockets in the process.

That's why even though they match the 20% off in the US I still always use BB with GCU for games. GCU also includes Amiibos which prime does not.

big_z

I'm really not sure what you get out of Prime for being Canadian anymore. Like even delivery is hardly ever on time.

Well they give you the opportunity to buy hot items like a switch when they have stock.

I understand tacked on benefits like free shipping, bonus points or preorder discounts if you're a member, a lot of stores have store cards, but to deny customers access to product stock unless you pay for a membership is some bullshit. Don't understand how that's not illegal.

Flambe

Can I get a 88$ refund even if my subscription expires next month ?

Not sure, mine renewed a month ago but since I haven't used benefits it said full refund when I went to cancel. You might just get prorated to when you last used it to end of cycle

They don't lock in the price at time of pre-order.I just checked and my invoice now states a total of $288 instead of $256 which means they apply the discount just before shipping and they already reassessed it to 10% instead of 20%. Needless to say I've cancelled my last 4 pre-orders now.

That seems pretty strange, they have locked the discount % in for me in past years and for my current E3 orders, still 20% off. I pre-ordered Zelda for Wii U back when they had 30% off for E3 pre-orders and when it finally shipped it this year they took off 30%.

I'll keep an eye on my pre-order prices but I can't see them retro-actively changing peoples discounts. Perhaps your changes were a glitch, maybe should've talked to their customer service first? We'll see if this happens to other people over time, but to me it wouldn't be worth it for them to do change discounts after pre-orders were made at 20% considering how much bad press they would get.

I've got an amazon student membership up for renewal next month, but even at the reduced price I'm not sure that I'll keep it. Prime Video in Canada still sucks, no Amazon Basics discount, "2 day shipping" on pre-orders ends up taking a week or more if it comes by Canada Post, and now this. I don't really want to pay $40 a year just for free shipping on a storefront with much smaller selection than the US site.

jholmes

Anyway to get this on the news?

Call your local newspaper or TV station, if you have one. You can also try finding a tech reporter on Twitter and point them to something like this thread, or see if there's a consumer advocate column in your area. The CBC does one but I think it's largely B.C.-based.

Short answer: Just because this is big news to you and me doesn't mean the press has caught wind of it. But this is a classic Goliath-screws-David story so I imagine this will get ink.

Top Bottom