• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada: Amazon Reduces Prime's 20% Video Game Pre-Order Discount to 10%

That fucking suuuucks. Prime is already restricted here, now they make it worse. I swear, if I wasn't still eligible for Prime at my student discount I would have quit ages ago.

Zero315

Banned
Damn, I wouldn't get rid of my prime membership over this if they bring it here because I use it for so many other things. I would, however, switch the few game purchases I make on Amazon over to Best Buy. They've been killing it with GCU lately, I'm getting Destiny 2 and Mario Odyssey with a 20% discount and a $10 reward certificate for each one.

Rbk_3

I have Student Prime renewing again in December, so I will keep it until they start charging full price.

I haven't been a student for 4 years so I don't know how long it lasts.

Zafir

Sucks.

Amazon are trash for pre-orders outside of the US. In the UK we get a measly £2 off game pre-orders. Absolutely pathetic. Especially when you consider they're rarely ever the cheapest for pre-orders even with the £2 discount...

Linkura

Sucks.

Amazon are trash for pre-orders outside of the US. In the UK we get a measly £2 off game pre-orders. Absolutely pathetic. Especially when you consider they're rarely ever the cheapest for pre-orders even with the £2 discount...

Jesus.

So does Amazon even try outside of the US or what? Though I can't hate on Amazon Japan, getting me DQXI from Japan to fucking Massachusetts in one business day with standard shipping.

Zero315

Banned
Edit: Beaten to the Wario64 tweet, this is now what it says on the Amazon games page:

Offer valid on physical release video games during pre-order when shipped and sold by Amazon. Discount will be automatically applied at checkout. Must be Prime at time of shipment. Read our FAQ and our Terms & Conditions for more information. Amazon customers also enjoy Release Day Delivery, and our Pre-order Price Guarantee

Edit 2: This is on Amazon US, btw.

ElNino

Fortunately, almost everything I order from Amazon ships in one day despite not have Prime, so this just makes it easier to avoid.

Ventara

Apparently Amazon is no longer offering 20 percent off discounts on new releases. Only on preorders now here in the US.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/897655907370315778

Wario says Amazon US are taking away the 20% discount from new releases (within 2 weeks), and it's only for preorders now... Can any americans vouch for this?

Ed - Beaten, beaten, don't you make me repeat it...

It begins. Next they'll take away the discount on CE/LE. Then they'll take away release day delivery. After that, they'll take away the 20% and give us 10% instead.

wicko

Cancelled auto-renew on Prime membership. It ends early Nov anyway.

Also, I like how I can't email customer service anymore, my only options are to phone or to chat. What the hell are they doing?

Shubh_C63

Not a very huge gaming zone, but India doesn't get any prime discounts on pre orders, at all. I am even jealous on 10%.

Not a very huge gaming zone, but India doesn't get any prime discounts on pre orders, at all. I am even jealous on 10%.

There is a huge difference in the subscription price for prime India vs US. It is really good what they are giving for such a small price already, so it is unfair to expect discounts like US in India.

NYR

Canada always gets screwed on game prices. What's up with the Canadian dollar these days? Why is it so weak? Seriously curious.
diagram770.jpg

Closer look to last few years:
COMM-Canadian-Dollar-Tracks-Oil-Prices-10302015-lg.png

Damn the oil, hurry some fellow Canadian make an alternative energy source for cars that only we export and build an empire and surge our dollar!

CrazyHal

Lol i quite literally just sign up for prime yesterday only to find out that the discount has been reduce to 10%. Thank god that they give you a refund if you cancel shortly after.

Dunlop

This reminded me to cancel my trial

...logged in and my trial expired August 9th

I'll totally cancel in 2018 now!

: (

CazTGG

This reminded me to cancel my trial

...logged in and my trial expired August 9th

I'll totally cancel in 2018 now!

: (

Yeah, as someone pointed out in this thread the Prime Day trial lasted roughly the length of time it would take for it to be renewed which is rather diabolical. Mine is a Prime Student subscription expiring in April but i'm doubtful i'll keep it if this is what to expect from them in the future.

UberTag

To put it in perspective, Best Buy GCU in the states is $15 USD / Year ($30 for 2 Year Subscription) and offers...
  • 20% off on New Games
  • 10% Bonus Trade In Credit
  • 10% off on Pre-Owned Games
  • 10% off on Game Guides
  • 2X Points on New Games, Digitial Content, and Accessories
  • Special Welcome Coupons
  • 2X Points on Trade-ins
... Compared to Amazon's $79.99 CDN for 10% off regular edition pre-orders. (Per year.)

Please Best Buy, bring the GCU to Canada.

To further put it in perspective: Best Buy's GCU - WITH the above discounts - only costs $38 CDN for 2 years if converted.
Shame that Best Buy won't ship internationally. Would gladly purchase from their .com site and give them my business even if .ca has no interest in matching.

Top Bottom