• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada: Amazon Reduces Prime's 20% Video Game Pre-Order Discount to 10%

pestul

So my Prime sub will last all of exactly one year then.. shipping to Newfoundland is still terrible on Prime. Prime Video doesn't even have a Canadian App on Roku like the US. It's actually garbage in Canada (at least for me) now.

Stoffinator

I'm glad I didn't join Prime. I was just going to pull the trigger. Loved the money I saved on games during E3. Now that dream is gone.

So my Prime sub will last all of exactly one year then.. shipping to Newfoundland is still terrible on Prime. Prime Video doesn't even have a Canadian App on Roku like the US. It's actually garbage in Canada (at least for me) now.

The Prime Video app is now available here in PS4. Came out today. Have to get it in the store,

0racle

Wait, what about older pre orders ? Is the 10% from here on out ? All older pre orders are still 20% and won't be affected?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
This wouldnt be so bad if other stores were at least competitive enough with deals and promos so gamers werent locked in with Amazon for most if not all purchases.

Amazon knows what they're doing. Theres no alternative to getting games cheap at release. Even at 10%, they're still the cheapest option for games on release day.

Walmart was the true MVP this E3 with $50 preorders. Hopefully they do that more often.

Gitaroo

Even if bestbuy ask for 80, and offers the exact same discount as amazon prior to all the downgrade I woild take it. I rather keep bestbuy alive so amazon actually have a competitor. The so call 2 days shipping for prime is basically the free shipping from bestbuy and bestbuy is much more reliable than amazon shipping games out.

NYR

This is very bad, but I'm in the minority and represent everything Amazon wants - I love Amazon Prime and got hooked because of the 20% off. I don't see myself cancelling, I literally use it for anything now that it has one day shipping in my area and if we ever get same day, I'll never cancel.

Sorry. :(

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Thinking of canceling my Prime membership not only because of the pre order discount being gimped, but also losing the discount on AmazonBasics items, which I order a lot of.

The only thing keeping me on Prime right now is the free shipping.

To put it in perspective, Best Buy GCU in the states is $15 USD / Year ($30 for 2 Year Subscription) and offers...
  • 20% off on New Games
  • 10% Bonus Trade In Credit
  • 10% off on Pre-Owned Games
  • 10% off on Game Guides
  • 2X Points on New Games, Digitial Content, and Accessories
  • Special Welcome Coupons
  • 2X Points on Trade-ins
... Compared to Amazon's $79.99 CDN for 10% off regular edition pre-orders. (Per year.)

Please Best Buy, bring the GCU to Canada.

To further put it in perspective: Best Buy's GCU - WITH the above discounts - only costs $38 CDN for 2 years if converted.

Ryne

This is very bad, but I'm in the minority and represent everything Amazon wants - I love Amazon Prime and got hooked because of the 20% off. I don't see myself cancelling, I literally use it for anything now that it has one day shipping in my area and if we ever get same day, I'll never cancel.

Sorry. :(

I'm in the same boat.

I do the majority of my shopping on amazon now, getting prime with 20% off on games was a great perk. I don't see myself cancelling even though this was a shitty move.

It sucks that there is practically no competition in terms of deals up here. If we had BB GCU like the US does I highly doubt they would make this move.

I'll try to shop on BB more often, but amazon's 10% off is more than BB offers most of the time up here. Not willing to wait months for my favourite games to drop in price if I want to play them now.

Firestar

Literally no reason to have prime now since I don't even get 2 day shipping with shitty Purolator. This is a very bad change, but I'd be more pissed if I didn't get so many price errors through them.

Riptwo

Prime is pretty awful in terms of value at this point. I have a few outstanding preorders, and I'm cancelling once they've shipped.

orochi91

I'm cancelling the subscription once they've shipped my Yakuza: Kiwami steel-book.

It simply isn't worth it anymore, especially since they've ditched the 30% E3 discounts.

If I cancel Prime now, am I good with my pre-orders if it ends in November 28th, or will things screw up?

Not renewing, Amazon ship nothing in time for me.

modsbox

All I can say is whomever can offer a discount for preorders for DIGITAL will make some $$, whenever that happens. Which I imagine is never.

If I can save 20% on physical by buying it early, why not at least 10% on digital?

I often buy Switch games physical on Prime for the discount but frequently would prefer that I had digital rights to it. Paying an extra $10 to be able to not deal with cartridges feels ridiculous, when obviously the cost of the item I'm buying is far, far lower.

The premium for digital is obnoxious. I'm forfeiting the ability to resell, for the ability to have it installed on my device. Understood there's value there, but paying $10 more for every game for it seems extortionate.

Pachinko

Honestly I didn't even know there was on in Canada , game prices since I subbed to Prime are still 80$ so unless they overcharge everyone else I don't know what to say ....

Blam

Seriously thank fuck I don't pay for fucking Prime. Those 7 free months did me well but I won't ever pay for it.

Oh wow. Fuck Amazon. Gonna cancel my useless prime subscription now. That 20% was the last thing keeping me on it. Retroactively changing the discount on preorders already made is what really irks me here too

Edit: ah. My pre-order prices are safe...for now

This is disheartening news. Games are already $80 here even if the dollar conversion says otherwise. The 20% savings is a huge deal for us and mostly the main reason why we all have Prime. The Amazon services (video, music, etc) are either pitiful in selection or not available here. They add so little value in comparison to what the US gets.

The only that is holding me on Prime is the inclusion of a Twitch sub. As much as it sucks, I'll still take that 10% + sub for the cost of a normal Twitch sub.

Y'know, I've been wondering.

Are European and Canadian (and Australian) gamers subsidizing American gamers?

No seriously - American game prices have stayed fixed at $60 over the past 20 years despite a roughly 50% cumulative inflation rate since 1997 - While in Canada and Europe prices have risen to not just match inflation, but greatly exceed inflation.

Proc

Thanks for letting me know. I cancelled. What a joke. I'll wait for sales. Digital orders on psn and steam are cheaper without the tax.

-SG

Wait, what about older pre orders ? Is the 10% from here on out ? All older pre orders are still 20% and won't be affected?

I would like to know this as well. God dammit.

Edit: The tweet in OP says "Existing pre-orders should be intact" so hopefully that is the case.

j0hnnix

funny-gif-riot-level-canada.gif

sikkinixx

Y'know, I've been wondering.

Are European and Canadian (and Australian) gamers subsidizing American gamers?

No seriously - American game prices have stayed fixed at $60 over the past 20 years despite a roughly 50% cumulative inflation rate since 1997 - While in Canada and Europe prices have risen to not just match inflation, but greatly exceed inflation.

Our currency sucks compared to the USD.

AAK

Hmmm, my prime subscription lasts for another 7 months. I have games like Death Stranding still preordered through them with discounts. If I cancel, will those discounts disappear?

Top Bottom