• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clint Eastwood praises Trump: "Just fucking get over it" (regarding racist comments)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay old man. Sit your ass down.
Clint Eastwood says that he hasn’t endorsed any candidate for president, but given a choice between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump, he’d choose the latter.

“That’s a tough one, isn’t it? I’d have to go for Trump…you know, ’cause she’s declared that she’s gonna follow in Obama’s footsteps,” Eastwood says in Esquire’s September issue. “There’s been just too much funny business on both sides of the aisle. She’s made a lot of dough out of being a politician. I gave up dough to be a politician. I’m sure that Ronald Reagan gave up dough to be a politician.”

Eastwood was clear that he hasn’t endorsed anyone — “I haven’t talked to Trump. I haven’t talked to anybody.” — but he was full of praises for the Republican nominee for being “onto something, because secretly everybody’s getting tired of political correctness, kissing up.”

In fact, Eastwood said, “We’re really in a pussy generation. Everybody’s walking on eggshells. We see people accusing people of being racist and all kinds of stuff. When I grew up, those things weren’t called racist.”

He added, “You know, he’s a racist now because he’s talked about this judge. And yeah, it’s a dumb thing to say. I mean, to predicate your opinion on the fact that the guy was born to Mexican parents or something. He’s said a lot of dumb things. So have all of them. Both sides. But everybody — the press and everybody’s going, ‘Oh, well, that’s racist,’ and they’re making a big hoodoo out of it. Just f—king get over it. It’s a sad time in history.”

Eastwood did not attend this year’s Republican National Convention, after famously giving a speech at the 2012 gathering in which he did a routine in which he talked to an empty chair. He told Esquire that the bit was “silly at the time.” He said that he came up with the idea for the empty chair because other speakers were repetitive, talking about Mitt Romney, and he thought, “I’ve got to say something more. And so I’m listening to an old Neil Diamond thing and he’s going, ‘And no one heard at all / Not even the chair.’ And I’m thinking, that’s Obama.”
http://variety.com/2016/biz/news/clint-eastwood-donald-trump-hillary-clinton-1201829966/

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Fuck off. Typical "Things were better in my day" bullshit. And "both sides!!!" shit too.

Tagyhag

When I grew up, those things weren’t called racist.

I never understood this sentiment.

When you grew up, people couldn't drink from the same water fountain. That doesn't mean that it should be back.

clint-and-the-chair.jpg

What the fuck happened to Eastwood? He used to be cool. Now he's just a GOP shill. When you grew up it was still racist Eastwood, why do you think all that civil rights shit happened?

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Because your generation was racist as shit and didn't even care to hide it, Clint.
Old man yelling.

So basically, old farts that see our modern gen as something inferior to their own "good old days", despite the great deal of progression we've complished since them that HAS made the world and society a better place for us all. Fuck Eastwood, his movies aren't that great and his music is worse!

Ultima_5

I find it hard to get worked up about things older people say when they're not politicians. Things were just different back then. We'll all be out of touch one day too.

Viewt

It sucks when great artists say ignorant, hateful bullshit. Sorry, Clint, but you can fuck right off.

Nothing makes my blood boil more in this election than people equating Clinton and Trump.

"He’s said a lot of dumb things. So have all of them. Both sides." okay guy, whatever you say.

spekkeh

Banned
Not to cape for Eastwood's old man yells at cloud political philosophy, but I don't really see how sharing being tired of political correctness with Trump is showing all praises for him. Sounds like Variety is reading more into Eastwood being purposefully ambiguous about supporting Trump.

Those short excerpts hit all the checkboxes.

- Random-ass Obama shade
- Random-ass Reagan name drop
- "politically correct"
- "both sides"
- "when I was growing up"

Yep, that's an old white conservative.

asagami_

Banned
lel, I guess after Gran Torino the age has worsened his judgement. It's sad, he is one of my favorite director and actor of all time.

jediyoshi

I like the conceding of the important part where the actual content of what Trump is saying is dumb regardless.

"When I grew up, those things weren’t called racist.” is a terrible thing to say.

When you grew up, interracial marriages were illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom