• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: Transformers Devastation is made by PlatinumGames

Dryk

Well if we look at the last few retail Transformers games from Activision, it seems to suggest that developers do matter. War for Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron were developed by High Noon Studios and were well received. Rise of the Dark Spark was by Edge of Reality and was a total turd.
High Moon's story is so depressing

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Well if we look at the last few retail Transformers games from Activision, it seems to suggest that developers do matter. War for Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron were developed by High Noon Studios and were well received. Rise of the Dark Spark was by Edge of Reality and was a total turd.

Duckroll being positive? Let me out of this insane parallell dimension

High Moon even managed to make a really good game based on the Bay films. Dark of the Moon is terrific... because they get what makes Transformers so appealing. Yeah, they're robots that can change into vehicles and are embroiled in a brutal civil war... but it's the personalities that really make the franchise special.

As such, High Moon did more interesting things with the movieverse's Ironhide than any of the three movies. Same with Mirage/Dino and Soundwave.

Rise of the Dark Spark demonstrated how easy it is to get it all wrong. If you pull off a challenge as Sideswipe he'll shout out 'i've got the touch', which is just too obvious. High Moon were a little more clever with their shout outs to the G1 continuity. My favourite is when Slag tramples over one of the Insecticons and says 'excuse me'.

I'm more concerned that Platinum will get this aspect of the game right than the combat.

LocalE

I'm looking forward to this, for sure. G1 Transformers action by Platinum, will at least be fun - could be the game that I wanted so bad back when I was a kid, like, for real.

jett

D-Member
For what it's worth, tangenting to the future of Rising, I wouldn't say it's entirely out of the picture even if it's improbable. Closing KojiPro has little to do with hiring Platinum for a successor. If anything it's evident of a beneficial position for Platinum. Rising was made seemingly in a short dev period on a strict budget making up for the lost time and money because of KojiPro. Being able to make a commercially and critically well received game economically and on a short term contract is far more appealing than having in house studios slave away on full time wages for years. In short, of Konami actually want to pursue Rising 2, not having KojiPro around any more has little to do with it. Platinum would be affordable, proven, and with no long term baggage (once the game is done, they go).

The real factor is Konami's interest in this kinds of games at all.

They closed down KojiPro to refocus on mobile and because they were too expensive.

So I'm guessing no.

There was no Vanquish tease or any tease for that matter. Platinum and JPs Twitter do what they usually do and people hyped themselves anyway.

Makes sense. All the Nintendo Platinum stuff looked like people just projecting hard. The only real tease we have is that blatant MGR2 one.

They closed down KojiPro to refocus on mobile and because they were too expensive.

So I'm guessing no.

MGR2 is possibly far enough along that they may finish it. Or one of the console manufacturers paid up the scratch.

nothing about the description or cover gives me any confidence. Talking about "hours of gameplay" and "five difficulty settings", like they were running out of back-of-the-box bullet points to talk about. "We got multiple difficulties, ya'll! Hooray for standard features!". Then you got that hilariously cheap lookin' cover and logo.

And if its really the Korra team, and if its really coming out this year, that's what, less than a year of dev time? How polished and fully-featured do you think this is gonna be? From Activision too, who we know will purposefully chop down the budget on licensed action games and aim for "64 or lower" MetaCritic scores?

IDK, maybe the gameplay video will look great tomorrow, but if I was betting man? I know where my money would lie.

Harlock

Features 5 playable Autobots including Optimus Prime, Bubblebee, Sideswipe, Wheeljack, and Grimlock

No excuses for not having a female playable character.

27491604d1421561704-hasbro-arcee-chromia-arceetfmovie.jpg

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Will be waiting for gameplay video. Honestly, this is something that could be good, especially if they dare to hype it with PlatinumGames combo fighting system.

MrMephistoX

You guys should be happy that platinum is getting work from a big publisher like Activision. Sure we aren't getting vanquish 2, or MGR but it's still platinum games I didn't play korra but I trust them that the game will be fun probably better than those cool PS3 games

I'm happy that a Japanese publisher is getting work at all; hopefully Disney will tap platinum at some point too assuming the former Capcom folks that made Ducktales, Rescue Rangers etc jumped ship too?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
To be honest, if you remove the nostalgia goggles, TFG1 movie is... kinda crappy.

The only good thing to come about it was Galvatron and the music. And I guess that big head dude.

Galdelico

I can't believe the negativity from some people in this thread. Game looks legit awesome. Did you really think you were getting an MGS Rising 2? You think Konami gives a shit?

What we're getting looks awesome. Why complain bout something that looks awesome and marks the first real video game of G1? EVER? (I don't count the famicom thing) I've been waiting since i was a kid for a legit G1 video game.

This, one million times.

To be fair, there was a G1 game already, on the PS2 - Transformers Tataki - and it was a brawler too, but... Yeah, it was super clunky and average at best, even for the most hardcore fan. And it never landed outside Japan either.

Jaeger

The Movie is superb. I still watch it at least once year. The voice acting, the villain is a real threat where characters die because of it. Awesome new characters introduced and great animation in most of the film.

And the music is fantastic.

Are you saying she was a mistake?

In at least one of the comics continuities this is literally true; "she" was forcibly transgendered as a result of scientific experimentation and got locked away for psychosis as a result.

I'm not even making this shit up.

EDIT: I mean, not even transgendered. In this continuity all transformers have no gender except Arcee who suddenly did.

Raoh

I know I'm the odd man out on this one and will get flack for it, but I never really got into Platinum Games. I've found their games to be boring to me. I know a lot of people love them but I've yet to love any of their games.

But I recognize their passion and skill when it comes to development. With that said I'm excited for a Old Gen Transformers game from my era by a competent and respected developer.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a good game.

Top Bottom