• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: Transformers Devastation is made by PlatinumGames

MrBadger

The G1 movie is really the only Transformers media I liked when I was younger and can go back to and still enjoy. I'd say it's aged much better than any of the show, and isn't hindered by cheap animation like most of the shows (especially Armada), or dated CG like Beast Wars.

joedan

PlatinumGames
Transformers
Classic Transformers design

200.gif

Also love, love the cover.
Man i miss those classic transfomers :(

I never thought I'd see the day when a G! Transformers game, made by Platinum, isn't a cause for a celebration. Smh.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I rewatched it in college and I should have left it as I remembered it.

see what I mean!

In fact I'm not going to watch the original star wars trilogy because I have fond, blurry memories of it as a kid (particularly Luke holding some rifle or something) and I don't want to ruin it!

In at least one of the comics continuities this is literally true; "she" was forcibly transgendered as a result of scientific experimentation and got locked away for psychosis as a result.

I'm not even making this shit up.

EDIT: I mean, not even transgendered. In this continuity all transformers have no gender except Arcee who suddenly did.
I was making a shitty meme joke:) My joke was a mistake, nothing but trash.

Boss Doggie

The G1 movie is really the only Transformers media I liked when I was younger and can go back to and still enjoy. I'd say it's aged much better than any of the show, and isn't hindered by cheap animation like most of the shows (especially Armada), or dated CG like Beast Wars.

to be fair... Japanese toyetic shows like Armada tend to go dated so easily

In at least one of the comics continuities this is literally true; "she" was forcibly transgendered as a result of scientific experimentation and got locked away for psychosis as a result.

EDIT: I mean, not even transgendered. In this continuity all transformers have no gender except Arcee who suddenly did.

In the animated G1 continuity there were other female transformers long before arcee was introduced.

Showed the G1 movie to my neice and nephew after they watched one of the terrible Bay movies. Can't remember which one, 1 or 2, probably.

They loved the shit out of it.

Boss Doggie

There's a second movie? I am only familiar with the first.

I take it that it takes place after Optimus is reinstated as the Prime again? lolRodimus

Boss Doggie

There is only one G1 movie. There are multiple Michael Bay movies.
Oh I misread what you typed, my bad. I thought you were referring to G1 movie when you meant "can't remember first or second", upon reading you meant the bayformers.

...so why didn't they make another G1 movie back then? Was it because it was made around the tail end of G1? (not familiar with release dates and my country gets cartoons late back in those old days)

jett

D-Member
Makes sense. All the Nintendo Platinum stuff looked like people just projecting hard. The only real tease we have is that blatant MGR2 one.

MGR2 is possibly far enough along that they may finish it. Or one of the console manufacturers paid up the scratch.

This game looks pretty MGR-ish. I assume that if MGR2 ever existed, they'll implement the ideas they had for it in other games.

Justinh

Man I hope they incorporate some songs from the show and the animated movie. I would flip out lol.

I could totally see the Stan Bush - Dare song being at the beginning of the game and the Dare to Be Stupid song being a weird bonus stage thing...

edit:FUCK!
the more I think about this, the more I get excited. who'll be there to hug me when I get disappointed?

I don't understand the disappointment in the thread.
Platinum Games + Transformer G1!!! What can go wrong?

it sounds freaking alien to me, but I think there are people here that are not fans of G1 Transformers

Oh I misread what you typed, my bad. I thought you were referring to G1 movie when you meant "can't remember first or second", upon reading you meant the bayformers.

...so why didn't they make another G1 movie back then? Was it because it was made around the tail end of G1? (not familiar with release dates and my country gets cartoons late back in those old days)

The G1 movie was not profitable. That and the my little pony(?) movie tanking at the box office is why GI Joe didn't get a theatrical release, and was instead split up into a week's worth of regular episodes on broadcast television.

G1 went on for a couple of years after the movie, and THEN stuck around almost perpetually in syndication for years after THAT, so there was still plenty of gas in the tank.

Sadist

I could totally see the Stan Bush - Dare song being at the beginning of the game and the Dare to Be Stupid song being a weird bonus stage thing...

edit:FUCK!
the more I think about this, the more I get excited. who'll be there to hug me when I get disappointed?
I think we'll need a full- fledged G1 support group if this game turns out badly lol

NEO0MJ

I think they retconned that into that female transformers were always there, just that they were out in space instead of Cybertron.

People don't like thing because it isn't thing they want, I guess

Even if they didn't care about Transformers should it really matter? I mean, this is a game, not a movie. It should be judged on its gameplay.

Just to list a few

All of the Starscreams.
except the Bay one

What about this one?

300px-StarscreamPrime.jpg

danmaku

even people who aren't should be glad that Platinum games remain gainfully employed in an increasingly boom-or-bust environment

True, that's the good news. The bad news is that they're wasting their time on a Transformers game. Underwhelming, to say the least.

I don't even understand the words in this post. I guess Michael Bay really did a number on a lot of people.

I'm definitely in the camp that thinks this sounds like peanut butter + chocolate

Nah, I watched G1 Transformers ad a kid, but even back then I thought they were... decent. Not great.

Xater

Well if we look at the last few retail Transformers games from Activision, it seems to suggest that developers do matter. War for Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron were developed by High Noon Studios and were well received. Rise of the Dark Spark was by Edge of Reality and was a total turd.

If they do matter then how did Korra still end up this way? I'm staying skeptical when it comes to this title until proven otherwise.

Boss Doggie

The G1 movie was not profitable. That and the my little pony(?) movie tanking at the box office is why GI Joe didn't get a theatrical release, and was instead split up into a week's worth of regular episodes on broadcast television.

G1 went on for a couple of years after the movie, and THEN stuck around almost perpetually in syndication for years after THAT, so there was still plenty of gas in the tank.

Ahhh that explains the stupid season where it's G1 but with shitty CGI cube and weird, annoying "stretch the screen for no apparent reason" shit right? Did they get backlash for that annoying cube?

If they do matter then how did Korra still end up this way? I'm staying skeptical when it comes to this title until proven otherwise.

It was a budget digital game that was probably done in just a few months with a minimal team and resources.

Action games requires more time to that to have a round and whole package. I'm pretty sure it would have ended being a much worse game in the hands of any other developer.

Ahhh that explains the stupid season where it's G1 but with shitty CGI cube and weird, annoying "stretch the screen for no apparent reason" shit right? Did they get backlash for that annoying cube?

THAT season was simply repackaging decade old content for syndication again. By that point no one was making new episodes, and hasbro didn't have any relevant toys on shelves. It was purely there to eat up airtime for local stations. No one cared if there was backlash or not.

Seeing Prime die as a kid in The Theater was heart breaking lol

For as many people that claim to have seen that in theatres, you would think the movie would have made more than 5 million dollars during it's box office run.

Boss Doggie

THAT season was simply repackaging decade old content for syndication again. By that point no one was making new episodes, and hasbro didn't have any relevant toys on shelves. It was purely there to eat up airtime for local stations. No one cared if there was backlash or not.

Ahh wow

I guess nothing good to show outside of ratings lol

Grief.exe

For as many people that claim to have seen that in theatres, you would think the movie would have made more than 5 million dollars during it's box office run.

You have to readjust your sample size. Keep in mind you are on a hardcore gaming forum with people who share similar interests to your own.
In the wider scheme of things, this actually represents a very small share of the whole.

Khort

super disappointed but maybe it will be a good surprise, only a few days left until seeing it in action. Hopefully it won t be made by the B-Team

vg260

Like a number of people here, I don't see why this is so negative.

The game is looking awesome with G1 Transformers in the perfect style. I didn't like all the revamped Transformers stuff, but loved the originals as a kid. This could be a great homage and if that interests you the idea of Platinum making it is exciting. The thing I'm worried about is Activision, and what kind of time/budget they're given for it. It could the the first Activision game I've bought in ages if done well.

KooopaKid

Banned
The explosions look very nice!
But honestly, there's a high chance it's going to be another Korra but at full price this time.
Platinum is known for deep combat systems but that needs development time. You have to wonder why they even bother to make shallower games except paying the bills. It's not really what Platinum should be about. Still, if they have their other team developing new IPs, it doesn't hurt too much and as a side dish why not.

Toxi

Banned

Then they fixed that because it was fucking stupid and came from a fucking stupid comic. Now there are male and female transformers in the comics continuity.

amardilo

I was really into G1 Transformers in the late 80s and early 90s (got back into it in the early 2000s when the new G1 comics came out) and I like most of PlatinumGames games so hopefully this will be good.

Drek

So I'm assuming this is cross gen because it's going to use the Anarchy Reigns engine? Would seem like easy money, and not a bad option to capitalize on the development of a solid brawler that got far too little attention at launch.

Grief.exe

So I'm assuming this is cross gen because it's going to use the Anarchy Reigns engine? Would seem like easy money, and not a bad option to capitalize on the development of a solid brawler that got far too little attention at launch.

PS3 and 360 already confirmed.

Top Bottom