• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: Transformers Devastation is made by PlatinumGames

Jaeger

I'm getting so excited about this. I love TFs and I love G1. The graphics capture the awesome mecha 80s anime art so well. Leave it to Platinum. This may be the first really really good TF game in years (or ever depending on whom you speak with).

I'm really hoping this goes well after the Movies timeline because there are some awesome characters that don't appear until after Unicron's appearance.

YOU GOT THE TOUCH!!!

Hoping we see Masterforce, Victory etc. characters like Deathsaurus.

You have to readjust your sample size. Keep in mind you are on a hardcore gaming forum with people who share similar interests to your own.
In the wider scheme of things, this actually represents a very small share of the whole.

wasn't speaking solely of here, chief. in general including IRL over the last 25 years or so.

Cheerilee

Oh I misread what you typed, my bad. I thought you were referring to G1 movie when you meant "can't remember first or second", upon reading you meant the bayformers.

...so why didn't they make another G1 movie back then? Was it because it was made around the tail end of G1? (not familiar with release dates and my country gets cartoons late back in those old days)

Hasbro's ad agency set up a studio called "Sunbow" to make the original GI Joe and Transformers cartoons. They outsourced the animation to Japan (mostly a little company called Toei Animation), because that was cheaper and delivered more quality than American companies like Filmation (who made He Man and She Ra).

Sunbow lost money/didn't make much money, but Hasbro didn't care because they were making half hour long toy advertisements. Losing money is what the advertising budget is for. Sunbow was super-successful so they moved on to making stuff like Jem and My Little Pony.

In 1986, they were working so well that they tried to take a shot at the big time, and bet that they could make movies. They decided to make Transformers the Movie, My Little Pony the Movie, and GI Joe the Movie. Transformers and MLP bombed, so they cancelled GI Joe the Movie (and sent it straight-to-video). That's why there were no more movies.

Then DiC offered to license GI Joe (because it was so successful in the TV market), and would essentially pay Hasbro to make toy commercials, so Hasbro gave Sunbow the boot and shook hands with DiC. The DiC version was delayed by several years and not very good and it killed GI Joe.

Nelson Shin (the director of Transformers the Movie) had started his own animation studio in Korea, and he said he could make Transformers cheaper than Sunbow/Toei could, so Hasbro gave it to him. And then he killed Transformers by making it too cheap.

These shows worked great when they were toy advertisements. They died when people got greedy and tried to make more money off them.

Grief.exe

wasn't speaking solely of here, chief. in general including IRL over the last 25 years or so.

Sample size is still small and you likely associate with people of similar taste and age group.

Hasbro's ad agency set up a studio called "Sunbow" to make the original GI Joe and Transformers cartoons. They outsourced the animation to Japan (mostly a little company called Toei Animation), because that was cheaper and delivered more quality than American companies like Filmation (who made He Man and She Ra).

Sunbow lost money/didn't make much money, but Hasbro didn't care because they were making half hour long toy advertisements. Losing money is what the advertising budget is for. Sunbow was super-successful so they moved on to making stuff like Jem and My Little Pony.

In 1986, they were working so well that they tried to take a shot at the big time, and bet that they could make movies. They decided to make Transformers the Movie, My Little Pony the Movie, and GI Joe the Movie. Transformers and MLP bombed, so they cancelled GI Joe the Movie (and sent it straight-to-video). That's why there were no more movies.

Then DiC offered to license GI Joe (because it was so successful in the TV market), and would essentially pay Hasbro to make toy commercials, so Hasbro gave Sunbow the boot and shook hands with DiC. The DiC version was delayed by several years and not very good and it killed GI Joe.

Nelson Shin (the director of Transformers the Movie) had started his own animation studio in Korea, and he said he could make Transformers cheaper than Sunbow/Toei could, so Hasbro gave it to him. And then he killed Transformers by making it too cheap.

These shows worked great when they were toy advertisements. They died when people got greedy and tried to make more money off them.

How did Beast Wars happen?

My childhood is screaming at me to buy a PS4 for this game (if it's not available on X1). My inner child wants to scream at producers to make the next Transformers animated series with this engine/art etc.

The art is perfect.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Made just to kill off the 1st wave transformers to introduce new toys. It's pretty bad and the new bots are worthless

It's so bad that they eventually had to reintroduce them.

Rodimus Prime was not well received right?

Cheerilee

How did Beast Wars happen?

Two Canadian guys named Gavin Blair and Ian Pearson became pioneers in computer animation, and they made stuff like the Dire Straits "Money for Nothing" music video (and actually worked on it's Weird Al parody) and created the mascot for YTV (the definitive Canadian kids channel). Eventually they formed "Mainframe Entertainment", and made "ReBoot", the world's first 100% CG televised cartoon.

Hasbro found Mainframe, or Mainframe found Hasbro, and they said "This is a match made in heaven, because CG is perfect for robots." Of course, then Mainframe decided to show off and tried to make organic robots (or that idea might've come from the toys).

Mainframe/Hasbro got Bob Forward and Larry DiTillio to run the show, and Hasbro told Bob Forward to study up on Transformers lore, and Bob said "Bah, Transformers died ages ago. There's nobody left to care about lore." And Hasbro said "Have you seen this new thing called Usenet?" After they saw how crazy and committed Transformers fans were, they figured they shouldn't let these people down so they hit the books and started studying Transformers lore.

Harmen

Maybe I can word well why I am not hyped (yet):

The thing is, I first want to see how Platinums action suits Transformers.I have no doubt the actual gameplay will be rad, but their usually over the top action does suit Korra, Raiden and their own characters better than something Transformers, I think. While we do not know much about this game, I do not really see Platinums greatest strengths working all too well with Transformers (as I imagine it, offcoure).We got three great examples of 3d Transormer games in the shape of Transformers (ps2) and Fall/War of Cybertron and all three looked and played great. I am really curious how Platinum's game will play out.

By no means I write this game off, but I am just not convinced yet how this developer and franchise will blend well. But that is just gut-feeling and no "objective" view offcourse. Anyways, I'm looking forward to footage to see how this will shape up. And hey, I did not look forward to Platinum taking the Metal Gear series either, but that turned out great in the end (and I want that sequel, damnit).

Two Canadian guys named Gavin Blair and Ian Pearson became pioneers in computer animation, and they made stuff like the Dire Straits "Money for Nothing" music video (and actually worked on it's Weird Al parody) and created the mascot for YTV (the definitive Canadian kids channel). Eventually they formed "Mainframe Entertainment", and made "ReBoot", the world's first 100% CG televised cartoon.

Hasbro found Mainframe, or Mainframe found Hasbro, and they said "This is a match made in heaven, because CG is perfect for robots." Of course, then Mainframe decided to show off and tried to make organic robots (or that idea might've come from the toys).

Mainframe/Hasbro got Bob Forward and Larry DiTillio to run the show, and Hasbro told Bob Forward to study up on Transformers lore, and Bob said "Bah, Transformers died ages ago. There's nobody left to care about lore." And Hasbro said "Have you seen this new thing called Usenet?" After they saw how crazy and committed Transformers fans were, they figured they shouldn't let these people down so they hit the books and started studying Transformers lore.

Ah, cool. I was a massive Beast Wars fan as a kid (especially the toys). It looks quite bad today indeed (moreso than some other CGI series from that time I think).

Sidenote, Transformers G1 was before my prime, but I did watch it a lot because it was still broadcasted (thankfully).

Grief.exe

Thanks for the writeup, I was a huge fan of both Reboot and Beast Wars when I was younger. Had no idea they were involved with the former.

Ah, cool. I was a massive Beast Wars fan as a kid (especially the toys). It looks quite bad today indeed (moreso than some other CGI series from that time I think).

Sidenote, Transformers G1 was before my prime, but I did watch it a lot because it was still broadcasted (thankfully).

Where can you even watch Beast Wars/Reboot today?

Jinaar

I am so pumped for this game. Transformers seems huge in Japan, so hopefully they sell to the base out there enough as well.

Aske

Is this a real thing? Can't believe I'll be playing a Transformers brawler made by the best developers on the planet. The High Moon games were decent, but anything Platnum turns out will be light years better. I cannot wait.

Neff

To me this looks a game in the vein of Konami's old licenced arcade brawlers, which I dearly miss. The fact that it's Transformers G1 courtesy of Platinum only sweetens the deal. I can definitely fuck with this.

even people who aren't should be glad that Platinum games remain gainfully employed in an increasingly boom-or-bust environment

Amen to that.

Scavenger

PlatinumGames has announced that they will be officially revealing their new title (obviously it's Transformers: Devastation) today; Monday 15th June 2015 at 3:30PM Eastern Time (12:30PST) from the E3 Pre-Show.

Today’s the big reveal of our new title! Be sure to watch the @geoffkeighly Pre-E3 show at 12:30 pacific for all the details!

However, the gameplay footage will be revealed tomorrow; Tuesday 16th June, 2015 at 6PM Eastern Time according to IGN.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers...teaser-trailer-live-broadcast-from-e3-183021/

TP

Confirmed for PC on stream

U2fir1B.jpg

Cheerilee

Where can you even watch Beast Wars/Reboot today?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Q7BF5M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055UA1KO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KTFJ79Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Edit: Be aware that these shows will never appear on Blu-ray, because the computers they were made on only ever output in standard definition. And they can't be re-rendered because they were made using custom software running on custom hardware, and the files, software, and hardware are all long gone. Nothing was archived except standard definition master tapes. So DVD is the best quality these shows are ever going to see.

Top Bottom