• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: Transformers Devastation is made by PlatinumGames

Hypron

Man every Platinum thread harbours so many angry replies these days.

Here's hoping Platinum will kmock it out of the park because I want crow to be eaten.

Most people seem to be concerned on whether the game will turn out like LoK or whether it'll be closer to one of their other games. Very few people seem to claim outright that it'll be a bad game. So there won't be many crows to eat.

I for one will be very happy if it turns out good and it seems many other people will too.

For some reason people are acting like Platinum turned down Rising 2 to make this game. When everyone knows that it seems Konmi is not interested in making video games other than mobile games.

Fixed that for you. And I don't think anyone's blaming Platinum for that. It's just that when you're hoping something happens and it doesn't end up happening you tend to feel disappointed. It doesn't matter whose fault it is.

Bayonetta, W101, Korra, Scalebound and now Transformers .

Haven't touched a single current gen Platinum game. Sigh, time to turn in my fan badge.

Thank god there's Itsuno and gang.

lupinko

oHw0ubv.gif

Who are you calling inferior?! Nobody would follow an uncharismatic bore like you!

Hey who callin Soundwave uncarassamatic? Yeah let's kick tailgate!

Hypron

Haven't touched a single current gen Platinum game. Sigh, time to turn in my fan badge.

Well, let's hope they're working on DMC5 because as much as I like the idea of DMC4:SE it's still only a re-release with additional content. A whole new game is better.

But you never know what Capcom's thinking :/

test_account

XP-39C²
Probably because we're basing it on Platinum's last bout with Activision as publisher. It's more likely to play out like that than to be magically as good as Bayonetta 2. I'm not saying the game will be bad (just like I won't say Korra is bad. Korra is good) I'm saying it'll suffer the same problems that Korra did and while you or I might find the final game good and fun, critics and reviews will cite the same issues they cited with the Korra game.
Yeah, that might also be a reason. I got the impression from the posts where people just said things like "waste of talent" and "damnit!", and also those who wanted a different title instead of Transformers. Nothing wrong with wanting a different game though. I'm not really a huge Transformers fan myself, but i grew up with it, so it was nostalgic for me to see the screenshots for this game =)

Well, let's hope they're working on DMC5 because as much as I like the idea of DMC4:SE it's still only a re-release with additional content. A whole new game is better.

But you never know what Capcom's thinking :/

There's also that rumored unannounced Sony exclusive... Could be something, could be nothing...

You're a fan but you haven't played Bayo and W101? What?

And nobody has touched Scalebound and Transformers yet, apart from those making it.

I'm a fan of MGR and Vanquish, I haven't played Bayo and W101 because I don't have a Wii U.

I won't be playing Scalebound because I don't have an XB1, and just like Korra I'm not interested in Transformer.

I don't get why so many people are afraid this will be bad because of Korra. It's the one blight on their pretty much perfect track record. I bought Korra on Steam today since it's so cheap and was very surprised to see that it has good reviews from users. It seems like most of the issues I've read about were due to either time or budget constraints. I'm looking forward to playing it, just as I look forward to this amazing looking Transformers game.

The Flash

Banned
Short, lacking enemy variety, simple level design, padded out with "infinite runner" style, it took a while to get all your powers and that was when the combat got really good.

It wasn't bad and was a fun game (with a really frustrating pro-bending mode based of the sport from the series) just had issues that were clearly because of time and budget and not the skill of the team or the dedication.

Ah shame. I quite like Transformers so hopefully this won't be a repeat scenario.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Every time Platinum announce something new and not a sequel there's a whole bunch of uuhhhh responses. The Wonderful 101 looked weird and confused. Max Anarchy looked like ass. Korra was uuuhhhh what. Rising came with a bunch of "but it's not KojiPro wtf this looks stupid and Revengeance is a dumb name". Bayonetta 2 was the only one where everyone was all "yeah this is obviously gonna own B-)" and even that was coupled with bitching about WeePoo.

I'd love a sequel to Revengeance more than any other Platinum game because it's the one that I feel, despite how much I love it, was clearly made on a strict budget and development time and as a formula and vision has plenty of room to grow. Vanquish I'd like to see a sequel to mostly because more Vanquish, much like Bayo2. It doesn't need a sequel though. Same goes for TW101, and that's my favourite WiiU game.

At the very least here we have Platinum working on a franchise they've never touched before, allowing them to apply their familiar design standard and style to characters, environments, and presentation that are unlike anything else they've worked on. They're using arguably the most beloved, "old school" variation of this franchise. Concerns from Korra are warranted but this appears to be a full retail release opposed to a budget rush.

It just seems like a weird thing to get disappointed about other than purely from a subjective "I'm not interested in Transformers" perspective. Which is fine, but *shrug*. It's a full new game from a great developer in a franchise they've never worked on. I understand I've got a bias; my love for Transformers comes almost exclusively from G1 childhood memories and (of all fucking things) Beast Wars, and I'm an unapologetic PlatinumDrone. So it's a winner winner chicken dinner combination for me. But hey, I dunno, even if you're not interested in robots in disguise maybe give the game a chance if you enjoy Platinum's output.

And they're still working on Scalebound too, ya know. Who knows what else?
cough starfox cough

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I don't get the whining. This is the exact type of game Platinum can do wonders with.

Korra was good fun, if quite shallow (understandably). If any dev can make a good Transformers action game, it would be Platinum. I don't doubt their potential to make it work.

Jobbs

Banned
I can't believe the negativity from some people in this thread. Game looks legit awesome. Did you really think you were getting an MGS Rising 2? You think Konami gives a shit?

What we're getting looks awesome. Why complain bout something that looks awesome and marks the first real video game of G1? EVER? (I don't count the famicom thing) I've been waiting since i was a kid for a legit G1 video game.

I remember the days when a top Japanese developer making a licensed game was a thing of beauty.

Kinda makes me wonder if there were people bitching back around the time Capcom was doing licensed stuff.

"Ugh, another fucking Disney game? Fuck you Capcom, I want Mega Man 6 already"

Suzzopher

Kinda makes me wonder if there were people bitching back around the time Capcom was doing licensed stuff.

"Ugh, another fucking Disney game? Fuck you Capcom, I want Mega Man 6 already"

I can't wait to see Platinum's take on Transformers, I would also pay a lot of money for them to tackle Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Copenap

Nice! I don't think I've changed my outlook on a game from "not interested" to "this is gonna be sweet" this quickly in a long time.

Emarv

Every time Platinum announce something new and not a sequel there's a whole bunch of uuhhhh responses. The Wonderful 101 looked weird and confused. Max Anarchy looked like ass. Korra was uuuhhhh what. Rising came with a bunch of "but it's not KojiPro wtf this looks stupid and Revengeance is a dumb name". Bayonetta 2 was the only one where everyone was all "yeah this is obviously gonna own B-)" and even that was coupled with bitching about WeePoo.

1000% true.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I am not too bothered that PlatinumGames next game is Transformer, they are a good developer and Transformer fans are probably in for a good game.

Kinda of a tragedy that MGSR2 might never be made, but this is game is still great news to me as long as it has a descent budget and great gameplay , certainly better the platinum's other games when it comes to characters and world.

Nah, Soundwave superior, Constructicons inferior.
Who are you calling inferior?! Nobody would follow an uncharismatic bore like you!

Nobody calls Soundwave uncrassamatic!

1E6xPlg.gif

I can't stand this song because it reminds me of Hot Rod. Screw that goddamn shitty asshole. Screw him forever. Pretty sure the first time I cried at a movie was because of this worthless tool. He killed Optimus man. His shittyness killed Optimus Prime.

In fairness if it wasn't for him suggesting lookout point to daniel and shooting at the 'cons. everyone in autobot city would have been toast (we still lost wheeljack though. :( ).

plus if prime hadn't died here we wouldn't have gotten this awesome scene when he returned

This is a full retail game from a major publisher and very well known studio.

There's images of the fighting in the op and it clearly loses the 2d effect.

Looks just like G1 to me. Backgrounds aren't amazing, but I love the look of the characters. I'm not too fussed about it being 2D.

Needs a dam though. Maybe we'll get one in the proper unveiling video

Man I hope they incorporate some songs from the show and the animated movie. I would flip out lol.

Highmoon did with their games, so it should be possible if they want to.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
For what it's worth, tangenting to the future of Rising, I wouldn't say it's entirely out of the picture even if it's improbable. Closing KojiPro has little to do with hiring Platinum for a successor. If anything it's evident of a beneficial position for Platinum. Rising was made seemingly in a short dev period on a strict budget making up for the lost time and money because of KojiPro. Being able to make a commercially and critically well received game economically and on a short term contract is far more appealing than having in house studios slave away on full time wages for years. In short, of Konami actually want to pursue Rising 2, not having KojiPro around any more has little to do with it. Platinum would be affordable, proven, and with no long term baggage (once the game is done, they go).

The real factor is Konami's interest in this kinds of games at all.

I don't get the whining. This is the exact type of game Platinum can do wonders with.

Didn't people say that about Korra? I haven't played it, but I haven't heard good things about it. The best developers out there can easily make a bad game if they're not given the right budget, amount of time and creative freedom. Something I don't think Activision would offer them for a quick and cheap license game.

I hope I'm wrong, though.

Didn't people say that about Korra? I haven't played it, but I haven't heard good things about it. The best developers out there can easily make a bad game if they're not given the right budget, amount of time and creative freedom. Something I don't think Activision would offer them for a quick and cheap license game.

I hope I'm wrong, though.

Korra was good, far better than it would've been in anyone else's hands with the obviously low budget it had. Most people I've seen give impressions after a full playthrough (upgrading everything and getting used to the gameplay) have said it's good at its core, but is simply somewhat janky in spite of Platinum's input.

I don't think people are worried about Transformers being bad as much as they know there's a good chance it's a budget game, in turn meaning it won't be on the same level as other full-fledged Platinum games.

It was listed by Best Buy as a full 60 dollar retail game.

Oh, okay. I checked the link in the OP but it doesn't go anywhere anymore.

Xater

It was listed by Best Buy as a full 60 dollar retail game.

So were other licensed Activision titles like their last few Spider-Man games and look how those turned out. My main concern with this is still Activision. If this will be good all depends on what freedoms they gave Platinum.

Sesha

Do you know anyone with a Wii U or Xbox One? You can just buy the games and play it on their machine. I'm don't have an Xbox One nor do I intend to buy one, but I'm probably gonna buy Scalebound either way.

Just read that there are only 5 playable characters. Seems...a little light. :/

At least there's a robot T-Rex. We have enough, IMO.

The problem with being a big Transformers fan, is that you read the game is titled Devestation and assume it's going to draw inspiration from the IDW comic, which featured a really varied cast of both Autobots and Decepticons.

I was hoping that Hot Rod/Rodimus would finally feature in a game, and Sixshot had a bit part to the play in the storyline. Obviously Devastator is in the game, and that's nice because in recent memory, only Mix-Master featured in the adaption of Dark of the Moon as a boss, but i'm a little disappointed that there are only five playable Autobots.

Wheeljack is a nice inclusion, but the others have all had a lot of time to shine in recent games.

duckroll

So were other licensed Activision titles like their last few Spider-Man games and look how those turned out. My main concern with this is still Activision. If this will be good all depends on what freedoms they gave Platinum.

Well if we look at the last few retail Transformers games from Activision, it seems to suggest that developers do matter. War for Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron were developed by High Noon Studios and were well received. Rise of the Dark Spark was by Edge of Reality and was a total turd.

Top Bottom