• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 tweet makes light hearted joke about gender spectrum [up: tweet deleted]

- Bottom panel is odd. The rat sounds like a person that is a real jerk. Such an odd way to respond to someone that was offended by something that was said. I know you have to get your point across in 4 panels, but hmmmm........yeah sounds like a jerk.

What did the rat say that offended the person?

Nymphae

Banned
- Bottom panel is odd. The rat sounds like a person that is a real jerk. Such an odd way to respond to someone that was offended by something that was said. I know you have to get your point across in 4 panels, but hmmmm........yeah sounds like a jerk.

Not really, what is he supposed to do about that? The comic is echoing that Stephen Fry line about being offended:

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what."

Bigrx1

Banned
I'm 40, so I've seen the budding of this outrage culture over time. I honestly wonder just in general, how many of the outraged people like are honestly and truly bothered and outraged by it and how much is just bandwagon and they really don't even care deep down.

Last edited:
This outrage stuff is really getting out of hand and it seems like some people are more bothered about people being fired or punished than actually trying to fix the real issues.

People over on Era are being reported to mods by the outrage police because they didn't agree with all the outrage, even if they said the tweet was bad, and mods are panicking and banning people, it's getting ridiculous.

This outrage stuff is really getting out of hand and it seems like some people are more bothered about people being fired or punished than actually trying to fix the real issues.

People over on Era are being reported to mods by the outrage police because they didn't agree with all the outrage, even if they said the tweet was bad, and mods are panicking and banning people, it's getting ridiculous.
Leave them to it. They'll eat themselves.

Sentenza

Because it's NOT about "fixing the issues". All this is all about filtering everyone and everything they know through increasingly tight purity tests, trying to outdo each other to prove they are the most sensitive, most "empathetic" (selectively) and overall the wokest of the bunch.

The day you could hypothetically give them the "perfect society" they ask for, where no one is ever offended and there's no "bigotry" in sight, they would just up their game and start looking for some other reason to do a public lynching.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm 40, so I've seen the budding of this outrage culture over time. I honestly wonder just in general, how many of the outraged people like are honestly and truly bothered and outraged by it and how much is just bandwagon and they really don't even care deep down.

Hence the term, "false altruism".

Because it's NOT about "fixing the issues". All this is all about filtering everyone and everything they know through increasingly tight purity tests, trying to outdo each other to prove they are the most sensitive, most "empathetic" (selectively) and overall the wokest weakest of the bunch.

:pie_winking:

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
What did the rat say that offended the person?

Don't know. That's the good thing about the cartoon panel. We have to use our imagination. But the cartoontist is clearly saying that regardless of what the rat said, it doesn't matter because he's going to say whatever the F he wants!
Weird right?

Not really, what is he supposed to do about that? The comic is echoing that Stephen Fry line about being offended:

The rat (and any reasonable emotional intelligent person) should have ask,

Rat: "well what did I say that offended you"? (then the person could have replied with)

Human: "Oh it was when you said that my wife looks like she's 5 months pregnant. She put on a little weight since she started taking medication and cried in the car on our ride home. I had to deal with that all night because she hates how she looks now."

Rat: "Oh snap I was just joking with her and didn't mean it to be taking seriously. My bad dude, tell your wife I apologize and didn't know she was going through that."

Human: "It's cool, I'll let her know." (Then the human and the rat could shake hands and continue to live their lives).

This is how normal people with a base level of emotional intelligence speak with each other. There's nothing here in this example that's hard or special. Just basic decency.

Don't know. That's the good thing about the cartoon panel. We have to use our imagination. But the cartoontist is clearly saying that regardless of what the rat said, it doesn't matter because he's going to say whatever the F he wants!

Somehow you have misunderstood the point being made by the cartoon.

I am offended by that.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

I am offended by that.

LOL...Nah I understood it fine. It's the cartoonist self-expression with how he views the world and that's fine. Still doesn't make the rat's response any less A-Holish though.

Last edited:

CDPR's tweet was posted on Tuesday. We're on Day 3 since the tweet and Era is still incredibly frenzied?

LOL...Nah I understood it fine. It's the cartoonist self-expression with how he views the world and that's fine. Still doesn't make the rat's response any less A-Holish though.
Now look, I've told you that what you said is offending me. Why would you keep doing that after what I've told you?

While I think that Austin Walker is intelligent and pretty eloquent...that dude is super fragile and I can't help but shake the feeling that he searches out things to get offended by. I honestly liked him but I remember during a giant bomb e3 commentary the first thing he said was something along the lines of "well at least they have a black person on stage" like...his only takeaway from the conference was the race of the people involved. Since then he's always kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

Dreadstar

Neo Member
While I think that Austin Walker is intelligent and pretty eloquent...that dude is super fragile and I can't help but shake the feeling that he searches out things to get offended by. I honestly liked him but I remember during a giant bomb e3 commentary the first thing he said was something along the lines of "well at least they have a black person on stage" like...his only takeaway from the conference was the race of the people involved. Since then he's always kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

Do you remember the GB E3 stream where they showed off a new South park game and he was holding back tears it upset him so much?

Do you remember the GB E3 stream where they showed off a new South park game and he was holding back tears it upset him so much?

Haha, yeah...I remember everyone there trying to act like it wasn't funny, Alex was being a baby about it....but Dan was laughing his ass off, glad that dude is still genuine.

I haven't read the entire thread, so maybe this has already been posted. They have doxxed the tweeter.

lmao why is matt wilson on reset era doxing people over barely edgy jokes? what is life anymore?

if you watched a lot of flash cartoons in the mid 00's, you should know this guy. he made high score & bonus stage. most of his new stuff isn't that good but puzzle hunters was really funny. I used to watch his stuff all day long in junior high.

lol time ruins everything. emooooooooo foreeevvvverrrrrrrrrr

I am offended by that.

Imagine the rat is Colin Kapernick and the guy in the suit is Donald Trump.

75a00c00820801364d44005056a9545d

There are always examples where you're going to identify with the rat, and always examples where "I'm offended by that!" is going to cause the natural reaction of "Yeah, I don't care." Everyone just has a different opinion of when that reaction is justified.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Imagine the rat is Colin Kapernick and the guy in the suit is Donald Trump.

75a00c00820801364d44005056a9545d

There are always examples where you're going to identify with the rat, and always examples where "I'm offended by that!" is going to cause the natural reaction of "Yeah, I don't care." Everyone just has a different opinion of when that reaction is justified.

It is all about perspective. :pie_smirking:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
All those folks proclaiming they won't buy the game or they see the game in a different light are literally irrelevant. Its 0.1% of 0.1% of 0.1% making a big deal out of it. Its just empty outrage, nothing more. Because if they actually meant what they would say, then you would see it in the sales.

Here is a chart from 2015 to see how much this outrage influences sales:

untitled-png.525124

Its literally a very vague blip on the radar as the biggest factors are Story/Premise, Price and Word of Mouth.

The last one is especially interesting, as it begs the question: Will people who are this outraged on the web, tell others about it in real life (Say, family, friends, randoms)? - I am sure a few will, but most folks likely won't know what the issue is about, won't know what (in this case) Cyberpunk is about, and i am sure a group of people also does not really care what friend/cousin/random Adam has to say about this game (For the aforementioned reasons).

Conclusion: All this outrage, all these threats on boycotting a game/not buying a game/saying you won't buy a game because of reason X is just hollow in nature for the most part. Those 3% will literally be nothing for any big game and game developer to worry about. It will just be seen as collateral damage.

And that's all it really is.

Sentenza

The last one is especially interesting, as it begs the question: Will people who are this outraged on the web, tell others about it in real life (Say, family, friends, randoms)? - I am sure a few will, but most folks likely won't know what the issue is about, won't know what (in this case) Cyberpunk is about, and i am sure a group of people also does not really care what friend/cousin/random Adam has to say about this game (For the aforementioned reasons).
Many of them never leave their rooms anyway.
But even those who do....
"YOU REALLY SHOULDN'T BUY THIS OUTSTANDING GAME BECAUSE SOMEONE IN THEIR COMPANY SAID SOMETHING MEAN ON TWITTER ABOUT GENDER FLUIDITY!"
Yeah, they would probably just get indifference, puzzled looks if not even open mockery as answers.

mckmas8808

I'm gonna be honest. That's kinda the life of being black sometimes. Things like this get said for understandable reasons.

v1oz

Holy shit, GAF is still going.

I stopped visiting this site the moment everybody jumped ship because I thought that basically everybody jumped ship and went over to ERA, but it's straight up unbearable over there. People getting banned left and right for not conforming with the groupthink (myself included during the ArenaNet firings drama) and this is just another example of their weird radical movement. I'm a left leaning person, but the shit that goes on over there just rubs me the wrong way.

Might be time to bookmark old GAF again.
I’m also on the left. Very open minded, liberal and believe in creating fairness in society. I can’t agree with any of the intolerance of opposing opinions and outrage culture on that other forum. That forum is a like cyber communist society where individual freedoms are taken away and any dissenters are punished severely. For any gaming forum to flourish you’ve got to allow for a wide variety of opinions.

Last edited:
Austin Walker said it's Nintendo's responsibility to not make a watergate reference because it could be misinterprated as a gamergate reference. He's made several arguments indicating intention and context are almost irrelevant when gauging warranted offense. Imagine how myopic that is. It's on the artist to be "more aware" of potentially tripping over the sensibilities of him and his far leftist journo & dev buddies. Whether they actually referenced them or not. You have to account for their delusions or you've fucked up somehow.

Let alone the fact that on social media there's a substantial contingent of people with the disposition to try and mine a nugget of offense out of any content they consume. Intentionally misinterpret things for cynical reasons, even. No sane person would say it's the responsibility of the artist to "be more aware" and curtail their work in accordance with that.

But then again this was before the "boo-hoo, right wingers is using our morality against us" days. Might wanna be rethinking that standard now.

Again, this is from the crew who think it's too offense to use the word "insane." At a certain point it doesn't matter how intelligent you are if you're this far down an ideological rabbit hole. I'm sure Fred Phelps was an intelligent person too. A lawyer who fought against Jim Crow in his earlier life. Yet he also established the Westboro Baptist Curch and nearly everything I've ever heard out of his mouth was pure drivel.

MayauMiao

The way I see it, its the "progressive" game journalists is becoming so toxic their credibility as informing gamers is going down in flames.

Gamers are flocking to youtube channels where every game reviewers can't hide behind their narrative otherwise face a huge backlash on the comment as well as the likes/dislikes ratio.

To this day I have yet to even see any video game youtubers supporting these "progressive" narrative with good likes/dislikes ratio.

Hudo

Are Waypoint doing so badly that they need to get klicks/traffic by dramatising every tweet/joke a developer makes that might offend people? I don't think you help to spread acceptance (or discussion, at least) of a cause by vilifying everyone who doesn't constantly reaffirm his strong position in favour of said cause.

I mean, there are more "lucrative" targets to follow, like Kamiya. Lol. But he just blocks people and doesn't give a fuck (which might be the right thing to do on twitter).

Last edited:

Boss Mog

The joke wasn't even transphobic, it was more mocking the SJW culture than anything else. The asylum actually banned somebody for saying they were gonna buy the game, and they call other people "nazis".

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Good.

When little girls are being encouraged to get offended over the term "Lineman working above", people who genuinely use the term CDPR made fun of deserve to be ridiculed.

After all, the same people offended by this are same people who claim you cant be racist towards white people.

Can't wait to see when they get offended by "man" in "human". Maybe the change the name to hupeople.

Can't wait to see when they get offended by "man" in "human". Maybe the change the name to hupeople.

Or when the little female grows up and becomes a woman.

Just to be clear, I dont blame the girl, that would be completely unfair. We all know from experience as to how easily children can be influenced. That link i posted is just more proof that these people are social terrorists.

ILLtown

Eurogamer's interview with Philipp Weber, senior quest designer on Cyberpunk 2077, contains more of the same shite: -

If someone wanted to choose a character who was gender fluid, how would you portray that?
I didn't write it down when watching the demo, but are they labelled 'male' and 'female' in there currently?
Beyond the aesthetics, could you choose to have a different pronoun? Is that an option in the game?

And when Weber responds to one question and says that there are character names that will work for both male and female characters, the follow up question is.....

...for gender fluid as well?

I'm starting to feel like this is some kind of disease that's spreading from person to person, cos how else have so many people in games journalism turned into these crazy Tumblrites in the last few years? Do they really think that this is the kind of shit that the majority of gamers want to read? They have an opportunity to interview someone working on one of the most anticipated upcoming games and they spunk half their time asking stupid shit like this.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The Eurogamer "big" interview with CDPR is really something, I thought I'd never see the day when gender pronouns were brought up as part of the leading questions in an interview about an upcoming video game...

You really have to wonder how big is the market they are catering to with this sort of angle? I just can't see it being sustainable.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Holy shit, this is a new low.

This shit is pissing me off. Cyberpunk 2077 is my most anticipated game of the last years, I have an insane hype for it, and they're trying to poison it with this shit of pushing a political agenda.

Last edited:
And that's all it really is.

3%, lol, butthurt!

Let's look at that a bit closer: 3% from magazines and video game websites. So that's 1.5% from websites. Round it down to 1%. 1% care about them. 1%. Which is as much as the advertising category. Which is what games journalism is: glorified advertising.

Edit: I wonder what the original Twitter question meant to ask? It looks like the tweet missed out a comma, "I want more, guys," meaning I want some more screenshots. Or did it refer to actual guy characters in the game, which is odd because I'm sure there are already lots of guy characters in the game. All a bit strange, so the tweet really was just a misplaced joke after all.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
3%, lol, butthurt!

Let's look at that a bit closer: 3% from magazines and video game websites. So that's 1.5% from websites. Round it down to 1%. 1% care about them. 1%. Which is as much as the advertising category. Which is what games journalism is: glorified advertising.
On average, yeah. Then you have to take into account that (in the US) atleast trans population is at best 1.2%, of which one can safely assume only half of it is aware of Cyberpunk. So thats 0.6%. Of that, you probably have half of those who see the comment for what it is, and half of those who are outraged. 0.3%.

That's the group, roughly, that is upset here. 0.3% of a 0.6% group that is aware of Cyberpunk, from a 1.2% (at best) US population that is trans.

It literally has no effect on total sales. Just look at Kingdom Come, another controversial title that saw the Internet Hemisphere be up in arms. Sold a million copies within 2 weeks and that was just in February. Who knows what it has now.

In conclusion, people buy these games aside the controverse because people want to play good games. This is also a reason why Hatred, another controversial game, was panned universally, not only because of its extreme gore and needless violence, but also because well, it was a rather bad game in general, that didnt justify the kind of violence it was showing.

GTA V gets away with most of this stuff (Even the sex stuff, mind you!) because it grounds the violence that it shows, justified and backed up by good gameplay or an interesting story. Hatred didn't had much of either.

Its why Cyberpunk won't be affected, if at all, by this hollow outrage, because most outlets also seem to agree that the game has interesting and varied gameplay and a lot of depth to it which immediately kills most justification to be pissed at that tweet. Especially considering that the game by its origin deals with gender changes, it will be even less affected than if the game would not have such a thing as one of its concepts.

TLDR: This outrage won't affect the game much if at all, shown example of another controversial game selling well aswell as a controversial game being panned and explained why.

Eurogamer's interview with Philipp Weber, senior quest designer on Cyberpunk 2077, contains more of the same shite: -

And when Weber responds to one question and says that there are character names that will work for both male and female characters, the follow up question is.....

I'm starting to feel like this is some kind of disease that's spreading from person to person, cos how else have so many people in games journalism turned into these crazy Tumblrites in the last few years? Do they really think that this is the kind of shit that the majority of gamers want to read? They have an opportunity to interview someone working on one of the most anticipated upcoming games and they spunk half their time asking stupid shit like this.
Ugh.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Are Waypoint doing so badly that they need to get klicks/traffic by dramatising every tweet/joke a developer makes that might offend people?
Going by their Youtube viewing numbers, I’d say yes.

The Eurogamer "big" interview with CDPR is really something, I thought I'd never see the day when gender pronouns were brought up as part of the leading questions in an interview about an upcoming video game...

You really have to wonder how big is the market they are catering to with this sort of angle? I just can't see it being sustainable.

Maybe its for the betterment of the majority. Like the normal of us see this tripe and think "alright, time to go outside and learn to hunt and fish".

I dont understand why my hobby is working so hard to push me and my money away. These people maybe crazy, but they are a minority. Theres no way they make up more sales than you and I.

Last edited:
Developers need to stop catering to brainwashed globalists and their sick agenda. If you get offended by a harmless joke such as this, you have the right to boycott and don't buy the game. You don't need to get people fired and burn all their families at the stake.

Top Bottom