• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 tweet makes light hearted joke about gender spectrum [up: tweet deleted]

why are you getting mad at people criticizing a game. i remember you for getting mad at me for something battlefield related that was criticism related. if people have gripes they have gripes why do they just need to accept everything that they give especially if we like the series. if its something they pay money for then i want to and im sure they want to know everything about it. games arent cheap

Last edited:

Dunki

\

or they can make it how they feel like it. You don't need to like it, but its still their game. So the only thing I think developers need to make is what they want.

Soooo the setting doesn't need to be "fictional" as enough happened in WWII were its enough to tell a story, but no where did the team even say the story was a biographic of exact events of a person, simply that its set in a time and setting that already existed, ie historical fiction, but that is MOST WWII games, MOST are not stories about real 100% 1.1 actual events, ie every bullet shot, even step taken, every line used in the game was stated by someone. So its hard to get anyone getting mad at this when no one even told gamers it was of a biographical concept, even remotely.

Historical fiction very much puts a story in a time period and event that factually happened, simply of a individual story that is fictional, but dear god, who needed to tell you folks this when people are being brought back to life with syringes, running on top of zeppelins and imaginary ammo flying out of people? lol

So the developer can make what they want, I see no reason for anyone to really even get upset at this as what is being suggested, wasn't even remotely promised to really get mad at. Might as well say we are also mad that mics exist in which we can talk with the whole team in clarity, I mean....that wasn't in WWII so? You also get multiple lives, don't remember that magic in WWII either so....maybe get a different game cause I see zero evidence to even suggest BF was ever even made for that type of experience.
Yes then A they shuld not lie about going back to the basics which they did and B they should not make it a political matter and insulting people who think this sucks. The whole thing went to a real disaster, when the press and even Sonderlund or how its name was made it a political matter. The press even brought in GamerGate and how gamers do not like women in their games. They fucking lied and insulted people on all ends. Of course people get more and more mad.

And you know whats really funny? When Battlefield 1 was announced the same press that this time did write that gamers do not want women in their games where the same ones who wrote articles about how the presentation in Battlefield 1 is insulting to all the survivors and ancestors. They were the ones who wanted accurate scenarios etc. They do not care about standards they only care about their political agenda they want to push. And that is also why it escalates.

EDMIX

why are you getting mad at people criticizing a game. i remember you for getting mad at me for something battlefield related that was criticism related. if people have gripes they have gripes why do they just need to accept everything that they give especially if we like the series. if its something they pay money for then i want to and im sure they want to know everything about it. games arent cheap

Whos mad? You are free to have gripes. Who stated you couldn't?

EDMIX

Yes then A they shuld not lie about going back to the basics which they did and B they should not make it a political matter and insulting people who think this sucks. The whole thing went to a real disaster, when the press and even Sonderlund or how its name was made it a political matter. The press even brought in GamerGate and how gamers do not like women in their games. They fucking lied and insulted people on all ends. Of course people get more and more mad.

And you know whats really funny? When Battlefield 1 was announced the same press that this time did write that gamers do not want women in their games where the same ones who wrote articles about how the presentation in Battlefield 1 is insulting to all the survivors and ancestors. They were the ones who wanted accurate scenarios etc. They do not care about standards they only care about their political agenda they want to push. And that is also why it escalates.

" then A they shuld not lie about going back to the basics" Not sure if its a lie as most of what I've seen about the alpha are going back to older BF concepts. So they might mean to a degree which isn't really a lie at all, its what they believe "basics" to be.

"they should not make it a political matter and insulting people who think this sucks. "

I don't think they should be insulting people either as that is just low and uncalled for, but they are free to make it as political as they want, its their work...who am I to say "they can't" with something they own? So I'll disagree, I won't run in to the "they should not make" as they are free to express themselves no different then we are free to disagree.

"They do not care about standards they only care about their political agenda" ? Can't speak on if they care about "standards" over some political agenda. Its still their work and they are free to create it how they feel just.

I'd rather have them making it this way then be forced to make something a certain way based on public pressure.

So I say, let them make what they want, they are free to actually do that as it is their work after all. SJW were wrong to demand someone change their work, this is no different.

Enzo88

According to the developers they do not care about accuracy but fun. So if they wante to make a highly diverse game they could have done it with a fictional setting for sure. Either you do it accurate which means not such ridiculous designs or you do it in a fictional setting and do as you please.
So i guess with accurate we are talking about close enough to real life social environment and cities, but i don`t see how you can be "historically" accurate when depicting the future.

Deus Ex did it with a stunning amount of accuracy 18 years ago.
Also is "historically accurate future" an oxymoron?
That`s what i meant, nothing in the future can be "historically" accurate, at most you can try to guess, like Deus Ex did.

Pretty stock joke you've seen a million times before. It's not even making light of the gender spectrum, though. So this thread title is inaccurate. The joke is making fun of the language police who will take offence at a routine gender assumption. People who use what is at worst a mild social faux pas to grandstand self servingly.

It's a pretty important distinction because the joke is not targeted at trans-people or even people who identify as non-binary. There are plenty of people within those identities who recognize mistakes will happen and don't flip out and lecture people over small issues.

EDMIX

i dont want to quote it you said a lot. at least man up to what you said

?? Ummm ok. You are saying I stated something, you now don't want to quote? Are you sure that was me seeing how you suddenly are backing away from it? I've maintained that a developer is free to make what they want for years now, ever since SJW were trying to demand and attack developers for making games with white males.

It was wrong then and wrong now. Anyone is free to create something they want with any character, demographic, religious belief, political belief etc That is what many of us stated against SJW, annnnnnd that is exactly what I'm stating in this situation.

SJW have no right demanding SOMEONE ELSE change, alter etc their work they created.

So never have I stated a developer "couldn't" change or alter what they feel like in their work, never have I stated someone isn't allow to get mad or have any view on that change, in fact just the opposite. I mean, I even state multiple times you are free to disagree...

I mean...you are. No one is saying you can't disagree (as to why you are having a tough time finding that info)

MilkyJoe

\

or they can make it how they feel like it. You don't need to like it, but its still their game. So the only thing I think developers need to make is what they want.

And on the flip side they cannot bitch when people are expecting one thing and are not interested in the game they "want to make"

Dunki

I don't think they should be insulting people either as that is just low and uncalled for, but they are free to make it as political as they want, its their work...who am I to say "they can't" with something they own? So I'll disagree, I won't run in to the "they should not make" as they are free to express themselves no different then we are free to disagree.
Making something political will certainly cause outrage no matter the side. And it is not about the game but the statement they made political under a false flag attempt as well.

"They do not care about standards they only care about their political agenda" ? Can't speak on if they care about "standards" over some political agenda. Its still their work and they are free to create it how they feel just.

Journalists should be held accountable for their fuck ups. But they are not they can do and accuse whatever they want without taking responsibility. To me Journalists are more objective trying to report the truth they investigated and not some agenda driven lies and flase facts. There is a rason why Journalism in general is seen so poorly these days. And Games journalism is even worse.

I'd rather have them making it this way then be forced to make something a certain way based on public pressure.
And I am not taking about public pressure to change but actual laws and regulations, Journalistic ethics etc. Public pressure and outrage will only give them clicks. The need to feel a pressure from the law side. And I am not talking about some fascist methods to only report what the government wants etc but actual journalistic ethics. Maybe through an Independent regulation board etc.

And yes if they do not want these regulations they can still be blogger, Youtuber etc where they can spread their lies without taking responsibility.

Fuz

Banned
Seems like PBS creator is tired of this shit, too.
7a0ca0a07c9201364b40005056a9545d

75a00c00820801364d44005056a9545d

Last edited:

mekes

The difference between the discussion over here compared to era is night and day. The faux outrage over there is actually what I disliked about GAF a few years ago.

hargwood

Banned
The difference between the discussion over here compared to era is night and day. The faux outrage over there is actually what I disliked about GAF a few years ago.

GAF was a great gaming forum but the Off-Topic community was always a laughing stock. I started lurking in the gaming side in 2013 for the quality content and opinions. I went over to Off-Topic to laugh at unhinged leftists getting butthurt. GOAT threads were the 2016 US Election and Brexit. Tyler really lost control of the mods for a couple of years and the damage done was irreparable. There are so many good voices who were banned and will likely never return. Shame really as GAF had some unique communities and threads that haven't been replicated on any other site since the split.

Fuz

Banned
The reason I wasn't posting anymore in here.
You never knew what the fascist moderation deemed "acceptable" and what not, and I didn't like having my thoughts policed. So I just stopped posting. And I'm a libertarian leftie.

Magik85

The difference between the discussion over here compared to era is night and day.
The difference is that here you can actually can have a discussion and at the other "forum" you just cant.
The whole point of discussion is exchaning views and ideas. You cant do that in era. If you dont agree with their views = youre banned.
That is not a discussion anymore.
I got banned for saying that i didnt find CDPR tweet transphobic and that the joke was directed at SJWs and not trans people. Nothing offensive or rude. But for them it was post deserving a ban.
Whats even more telling is that people who agressively responed to my post with actually offensive words lie "f*ck off or "asshole"" are still there.
So yea....you can insult someone directly and be safe but youll be banned for having different opinion.
And if users there can not debate and exchange their opinions....thats no longer a forum/disscussion board. Thats just a site for forcing their own agenda.

It is not transphobic. It is mocking the SJW culture It is the same as the attackhelicopter meme.

Exactly. The joke wasn't made at the expense of trans men and women. It was made at the expense of the easily-offended. In that sense, I'd liken it to the recent "scandal" that arose when the new Doom trailer suggested that demons should be called "mortally challenged."

These jokes are making fun of the SJW culture, and the reactions to the jokes only prove that outrage mobs deserve to be mocked. They're unhinged from reality.

Arkhan

Grand Vizier of Khemri
Staff Member
Please keep in mind that we have a specific thread for discussing off site bans and other communities. Any discussion related to that should remain there and not permeate other topics. Some discussions like this will of course touch on other communities where relevant, but if your post is more related to your personal circumstances in other communities, then please post it here instead . Thanks

dcll

Banned
I am not into politics and believe people can live how they want but the extreme sensitive outrage mobs are really pushing average people like me away and making us feed up with the bs, enough is enough imo

Last edited:
I haven't read the entire thread, so maybe this has already been posted. They have doxxed the tweeter.

"I'm not doxxing, you guys. I'm just putting a face to the "non-apology". I sure hope you don't mobilise and get him fired or something, it's not like this forum is known for its mobs :)"
This is some 4D intergalactic Donkey Kong right here.

Last edited:

I realize it was a harmless joke, but what do people expect? Unfortunately, the gaming niche has a large number of extremely loud intolerant people that don't believe diversity in opinion is a good thing. If a game dev or industry employee makes it known they believe the "wrong" thing they will get harassed, doxxed, and shouted down. I could never work in the game industry for this very reason.

Paradicia

The people who moan about shit like this must not lead very fulfilling lives. The fact that this employee was doxxed for a tweet like that is disgusting. I'd love for that MattWilsonCSS person to be hit with a civil suit.

Mochilador

The people who moan about shit like this must not lead very fulfilling lives. The fact that this employee was doxxed for a tweet like that is disgusting. I'd love for that MattWilsonCSS person to be hit with a civil suit.
Yeah, it was a dumb move. His intentions were pretty clear, he wanted him fired.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
\

Soooo the setting doesn't need to be "fictional" as enough happened in WWII were its enough to tell a story, but no where did the team even say the story was a biographic of exact events of a person, simply that its set in a time and setting that already existed, ie historical fiction, but that is MOST WWII games, MOST are not stories about real 100% 1.1 actual events, ie every bullet shot, even step taken, every line used in the game was stated by someone. So its hard to get anyone getting mad at this when no one even told gamers it was of a biographical concept, even remotely.

Historical fiction very much puts a story in a time period and event that factually happened, simply of a individual story that is fictional, but dear god, who needed to tell you folks this when people are being brought back to life with syringes, running on top of zeppelins and imaginary ammo flying out of people? lol

So the developer can make what they want, I see no reason for anyone to really even get upset at this as what is being suggested, wasn't even remotely promised to really get mad at. Might as well say we are also mad that mics exist in which we can talk with the whole team in clarity, I mean....that wasn't in WWII so? You also get multiple lives, don't remember that magic in WWII either so....maybe get a different game cause I see zero evidence to even suggest BF was ever even made for that type of experience.

Exactly! The ones that are upset that people get outraged over a bad CDPR joke, are outraged about the woman in the BFV trailer and cover. This whole thing is silly.

Dunki

Exactly! The ones that are upset that people get outraged over a bad CDPR joke, are outraged about the woman in the BFV trailer and cover. This whole thing is silly.
No they are not......

They are outraged about this game being made and push a political agenda they do not agree with. No one ared about women in Fortnight. No one cared about Women in Medal Of Honor or even Battlefield 1.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No they are not......

They are outraged about this game being made and push a political agenda they do not agree with. No one ared about women in Fortnight. No one cared about Women in Medal Of Honor or even Battlefield 1.

Not to mention people are not happy with the PUBG/Fortnite style piecemeal Barbie dress up monetization that will litter the battlefield and look rather foolish for that era.

And when a developer(s) starts shitting on the fanbase instead of opening up some actual constructive dialogue, you just pour fuel on the fire due to the million dollar backing arrogance leading the charge.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

mckmas8808, you are smarter than that. Stop trying to push a disingenuous strawman. You know full well the reason why people are outraged by BFV and upset about the outrage over the CDPR joke.

Steez

I haven't read the entire thread, so maybe this has already been posted. They have doxxed the tweeter.

It speaks volumes about that cult when they ban a transgender person, who doesn't agree with them, but don't even issue a warning to the guy who posts the personal info of the CDPR guy.

mckmas8808

mckmas8808, you are smarter than that. Stop trying to push a disingenuous strawman. You know full well the reason why people are outraged by BFV and upset about the outrage over the CDPR joke.

People have given me reasons why many were upset about BFV. I think it's silly to be upset about it. I also think Austin went waaay over board with the way he was upset about the CDPR joke. So how am I being disingenuous? Both are silly to me and aren't super terrible. I can understand if people rolled their eyes at one or the other (or both), but to not buy either game just because of their "controversies" seems over the top. Again for both of them.

MP!

Oh man ... Reverse gamergating is the same as gamergating. Man I'm really kind of sick of the hypocrisy. How is ruining someone's life ever okay? I just don't get the justification

Catching up on this email thread now...

Uh, what the fuck is the “gender spectrum”? Is this a new phrase? As the father of an autistic kid, I take MAJOR OFFENSE at this blatant misappropriation of the word spectrum. How dare we hijack this word for different political purposes? FOR SHAME ON US ALL AND A POX UPPN OUR HOUSES.

(Just kidding, my kid doesnt have autism and I don’t mean to belittle such a challenging disease to deal with. I was just trying to prove a point about how easily people are getting triggered on the ineternet these days).

Seriously, this millennial “me first/me too” bullshit has got to stop at some point. Everyone should be free to live the life the damned well please. Just don’t thrust it in my face for no reason other than to make yourself feel better. Sometimes I like to eat peanut butter with a spoon but you don’t see me getting all militant about it online do you? Chill the fuck out people.

Uh, what the fuck is the “gender spectrum”? Is this a new phrase? As the father of an autistic kid, I take MAJOR OFFENSE at this blatant misappropriation of the word spectrum. How dare we hijack this word for different political purposes? FOR SHAME ON US ALL AND A POX UPPN OUR HOUSES.

(Just kidding, my kid doesnt have autism and I don’t mean to belittle such a challenging disease to deal with. I was just trying to prove a point about how easily people are getting triggered on the ineternet these days).

Seriously, this millennial “me first/me too” bullshit has got to stop at some point. Everyone should be free to live the life the damned well please. Just don’t thrust it in my face for no reason other than to make yourself feel better. Sometimes I like to eat peanut butter with a spoon but you don’t see me getting all militant about it online do you? Chill the fuck out people.
Clearly you suffer from "internalized peanut-butter aggression".

mckmas8808

Seems like PBS creator is tired of this shit, too.
7a0ca0a07c9201364b40005056a9545d

75a00c00820801364d44005056a9545d

- Top panel is very interesting. Someone is telling on themselves.
- Bottom panel is odd. The rat sounds like a person that is a real jerk. Such an odd way to respond to someone that was offended by something that was said. I know you have to get your point across in 4 panels, but hmmmm........yeah sounds like a jerk.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I judge those who don't.

But the whole world must know of my desire to fornicate with open jars of peanut butter under a gibbous moon! You must all respect that and reckonize my place on the spectrum or so help me, I’ll doxxx the shit out of you!
Peanut butter is a racist term created by the white bread. We prefer the term Butter of Peanuts. Check your spreadables privilege.

See how dumb fake outrage is? Or did I just start writing Sausage Party 2?
Why? You jelly?
You folks are hilarious, taking it much further than I could've. :pie_roffles:

Nymphae

Banned
Peanut butter is a racist term created by the white bread. We prefer the term Butter of Peanuts. Check your spreadables privilege.

See how dumb fake outrage is? Or did I just start writing Sausage Party 2?

The POC vs colored people thing is so insane. I grew up being taught by adults and the culture at large that using the term "colored people" is racist, or at the very least, highly insensitive.

Then seemingly overnight in the mid-2000's maybe, everyone on the left is saying POC. They literally just switched the order of the two words and added an "of". How does this not mean the exact same thing? I don't use PoC for the same reasons I don't use colored people, I'm constantly surprised that the left doesn't see this as *ahem* problematic.

Last edited:
You folks are hilarious, taking it much further than I could've. :pie_roffles:

We’re really spreading it around.

The POC vs colored people thing is so insane. I grew up being taught by adults and the culture at large that using the term "colored people" is racist, or at the very least, highly insensitive.

Then seemingly overnight in the mid-2000's maybe, everyone on the left is saying POC. They literally just switched the order of the two words and added an "of". How does this not mean the exact same thing? I don't use PoC for the same reasons I don't use colored people, I'm constantly surprised that the left doesn't see this as *ahem* problematic.

Well color me surprised. Heh.

Look, this is all about semantics. Those who control the language and define the terms we use can the control the discourse. Language is a lot more powerful than most people realize. (I say this as a registered Dem who angrily suffers through the nonsensical discourse being brandied about by the current occupant of the Oval Office).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Look, this is all about semantics. Those who control the language and define the terms we use can the control the discourse. Language is a lot more powerful than most people realize. (I say this as a registered Dem who angrily suffers through the nonsensical discourse being brandied about by the current occupant of the Oval Office).

Agreed. They now empowered the phrase (psychologically), while to those who came up with it, know it is just the same damned thing to continue to get away with saying the former.

Another view I seen talked about online is that 'People of Color' is just another supremacy term masqueraded as "PC" from coopting the 'Colored People'' phrase. It basically is saying, "this group over here, they have color, you whites however, are devoid of color (colorless/soulless/etc.)".

I mean, Black and White are not colors in the light spectrum after all. :pie_winking:

Last edited:
Top Bottom