• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadpool |OT| Weapon X Gon' Give It To Ya

Status
Not open for further replies.

SliChillax

Wow this movie was so much fun to watch with my mates. Only thing I didn't quite like was the villains and the movie seemed a bit short but maybe that's because I enjoyed it so much time flew.

If I had to describe this movie in just two words, that'd be "Oh man!"
Make of this as you wish.
Or read my post in the spoiler thread, because fuck reasons!

Arkeband

Banned
Wow. Was this supposed to be funny?

image.php

Looks fun. How is the game? Been looking into that cause of the movie.

The game is a mixed bag really, gameplay is your average 3rd person action game, think Devil May Cry, just nowhere near as good.

BUT

The humour and character is spot on and I played through it all, just because of how genuinely funny it was (something the movie definitely gets right too)

So pick it up cheap if you like Deadpool and a good laugh but the gameplay is average, so don't expect too much in that department.

Welp had to get out of the movie half an hour in because a friend of ours was not feeling well, to the point that he collapsed on the way out and we had to call an ambulance. Three hours later and he now has to wait for an MRT tomorrow.

Enjoyed what i saw and my friend is feeling a little better already. Hopefully we can see the rest another time, when we know that this was just some weird accident and he is all right.

123rl

Absolutely loved it all and so did my friends. Reynolds was so good but I was impressed with it all, from writing to the music, to the support cast, to the great humour. Wonderful and such a refreshing change from the usual watered-down comic book movie

What a great film. I didn't really know much about Deadpool going in, didn't even know this was in the X-men universe but there was never a dull moment. So is there any connection between this Deadpool and the one in X-men Origins: Wolverine or did they just happen to use the same actor and hope we forget?

Absolutely bloody amazing. Easily both one of the best Superhero movies ever and also one of the best comedies I've seen in the past few years. Loved it.

Also, the cinema I went to was packed! hopefully this does incredibly well for Fox, and combined with the failure of Fant4stic, stops them making the grim dark 'realistic' shite ever again.

guek

Banned
Welp had to get out of the movie half an hour in because a friend of ours was not feeling well, to the point that he collapsed on the way out and we had to call an ambulance. Three hours later and he now has to wait for an MRT tomorrow.

Enjoyed what i saw and my friend is feeling a little better already. Hopefully we can see the rest another time, when we know that this was just some weird accident and he is all right.
Tough break. Best of luck to your friend for a speedy recovery

Ashhong

What a great film. I didn't really know much about Deadpool going in, didn't even know this was in the X-men universe but there was never a dull moment. So is there any connection between this Deadpool and the one in X-men Origins: Wolverine or did they just happen to use the same actor and hope we forget?

I haven't watched the movie but they make it very clear in marketing that nobody has forgotten it. Weren't they supposed to reference that movie in this movie?

So I've sort of gone a bit further on my feelings about it, like 12 hours after watching it?

I came out of this movie today feeling kinda positive about it, then my feelings went down all day until now, when I realised no matter what this film has pretensions to be, its actually a bit rubbish, and tries to get by on the 18-rating and the swearing and violence and hilarious humour, when the film is in fact, a bit rubbish.

So the 'story' to use a generous term, is another superhero origin story. And there's literally nothing in it. There's barely a story. They could have told this crap in half the time it takes to tell it, guy gets powers with side effects, tries to find guy who can cure him, his girl gets kidnapped, he rescues girls, there's some stuff with the x-men, whatever, boring.
It tries to be edgy, it tries to be cool. People love parody and self referential humour these days, right? Well here's a whole movie of it! and when we do this, it means we don't need character or a story or arcs, we can just pretend its all a bit of a crap shoot and not bother with it! And here's some lame action scenes with bad CGI, thats funny as well! Did you know Ryan Reynolds played green lantern before? Well you do now, cos we're gonna bring it up a lot, along with every other superhero reference we can dig out of the grave! Lets have really poor filming, script, and cinematography!

I've seen Reynolds get a lot of praise for his performance, but he's ok. He's fine. Everyone else is crap. Boring. They do nothing, they have no characters, no nothing, they're shells of characters, that are filled in by nothing.
So Deadpool is.... there's an obvious pun here, but I won't make it. Deadpool sucks. What a let down.

Shaanyboi

Banned

Shit, dude. Here's hoping he makes a quick recovery.

Tabby

So I've sort of gone a bit further on my feelings about it, like 12 hours after watching it?

I came out of this movie today feeling kinda positive about it, then my feelings went down all day until now, when I realised no matter what this film has pretensions to be, its actually a bit rubbish, and tries to get by on the 18-rating and the swearing and violence and hilarious humour, when the film is in fact, a bit rubbish.

So the 'story' to use a generous term, is another superhero origin story. And there's literally nothing in it. There's barely a story. They could have told this crap in half the time it takes to tell it, guy gets powers with side effects, tries to find guy who can cure him, his girl gets kidnapped, he rescues girls, there's some stuff with the x-men, whatever, boring.
It tries to be edgy, it tries to be cool. People love parody and self referential humour these days, right? Well here's a whole movie of it! and when we do this, it means we don't need character or a story or arcs, we can just pretend its all a bit of a crap shoot and not bother with it! And here's some lame action scenes with bad CGI, thats funny as well! Did you know Ryan Reynolds played green lantern before? Well you do now, cos we're gonna bring it up a lot, along with every other superhero reference we can dig out of the grave! Lets have really poor filming, script, and cinematography!

I've seen Reynolds get a lot of praise for his performance, but he's ok. He's fine. Everyone else is crap. Boring. They do nothing, they have no characters, no nothing, they're shells of characters, that are filled in by nothing.
So Deadpool is.... there's an obvious pun here, but I won't make it. Deadpool sucks. What a let down.

Deadpool himself was well done, the humour was nice and the action is great but the rest of the movie is just really average.

it does just sound like Deadpool isn't your thing though. What you described is pretty much what he does.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

I'm noticing a patten with people/reviewers who don't like the movie.

They don't like it because they expected Deadpool to be something it isn't intended to be.

The negative reviews actually have me more excited because they're showing me that they've been faithful to the character and his universe.

idwl

just finished it. I went into it not knowing anything and I loved it so much. the whole theater was laughing. fun experience. now I'm gone see zoolander 2 hopefully it's good too

They don't like it because they expected Deadpool to be something it isn't intended to be.

The negative reviews actually have me more excited because they're showing me that they've been faithful to the character and his universe.

Yep and that's the funniest part.

Deadpool is Deadpool take it or leave. Just like the comic book series.

HoJu

Yep and that's the funniest part.

Deadpool is Deadpool take it or leave. Just like the comic book series.

this sounds like that no true scotsman fallacy or something similar. i mean it's probably true that deadpool isn't for everybody, but just because a critic doesn't like it doesn't mean that "it's not for him" or whatever. maybe they just thought it was a bad movie. can'y just excuse any criticism for "yeah but they probably just don't like deadpool so".

this sounds like that no true scotsman fallacy or something similar. i mean it's probably true that deadpool isn't for everybody, but just because a critic doesn't like it doesn't mean that "it's not for him" or whatever. maybe they just thought it was a bad movie. can'y just excuse any criticism for "yeah but they probably just don't like deadpool so".

Okay...

But something being a bad movie or a good movie is subjective. Just like my suggestion that some people can't connect to dead pool or don't find him interesting period and those that totally understand whats going on and enjoy it for what it is. So people should temper whatever expectations either way. Shoot I'm going to go see it on Friday and i might hate it or think its sub par, once i see the final credits or i might like the shit out of it. Like almost everyone thought Kick ass 2 was bad or complete shit but i liked it.

If it's half as good as Kingsman then its all good.

Turrican2

Watched it last night and enjoyed every minute if it.
As did the rest of the cinema crowd - everyone was laughing through the whole movie, basicly from the first to the last minute.
In other words, it is very violent and very funny.
Might be the best Marvel movie so far.

Symphonia

Banned

I've seen Reynolds get a lot of praise for his performance, but he's ok. He's fine. Everyone else is crap. Boring. They do nothing, they have no characters, no nothing, they're shells of characters, that are filled in by nothing. So Deadpool is.... there's an obvious pun here, but I won't make it. Deadpool sucks. What a let down.
You are aware that Deadpool referencing other superhero films isn't exclusive to the film? It's what Deadpool does. He's a sarcastic, violent, arrogant fuck, and that's why people love him. He's not your typical Marvel hero. I don't think it's that the film isn't any good, it's just that either you don't know Deadpool or Deadpool is not your cup of tea.

Mendrox

What? Did you even know Deadpool before? Imo Reynolds knows the character very very well and the movie shows. Deadpool is like this and they now have the options with Deadpool 2 to make it even better. I know opinions and stuff, but the movie is not as horrible as you want to express here. People that know the character Deadpool will be very fucking pleased. :)

neorej

ERMYGERD!

Have you ever read a Deadpool comic before? Parody, self-reference, popculture-references and self-awareness is what Deadpool does. More than once per issue. It's not like Fox pulled a superhero off the shelve and added all these elements to cater to the masses. Deadpool's been doing that for years.

Please, could you eloborate on the pretentions, poor filming, script and cinematography? Without spoiling of course. ;)

You are aware that Deadpool referencing other superhero films isn't exclusive to the film? It's what Deadpool does. He's a sarcastic, violent, arrogant fuck, and that's why people love him. He's not your typical Marvel hero. I don't think it's that the film isn't any good, it's just that either you don't know Deadpool or Deadpool is not your cup of tea.

I am aware of that, since I made some trouble to read some deadpool before watching the movie.

edit - again, opinions, arseholes, etc.

So is there any connection between this Deadpool and the one in X-men Origins: Wolverine or did they just happen to use the same actor and hope we forget?

Same character, different timeline. X-Men Days of Future Past wiped out that timeline, so that version of Deadpool never happened thankfully.

Alienfan

That was such an enjoyable movie, absolutely loved it! Not all the jokes landed, but when they did the whole cinema was roaring with laughter. I'm actually kind of amazed what they managed to do on a 60 million budget, the action scenes were also really well done! Can't wait to see what they do with a sequel :D

ZeroX03

Banned
I saw it, it was okay but nothing great.

Deadpool was fine. Humor was exactly to be expected. Everything else around it was weak. The origin story takes way too long, pacing and skipping between scenes didn't help. Budget was clearly pinched in the lack of action scenes. They were obviously restricted by what characters they could use and actors they could afford. Direction/action was nice but by the numbers. They could've easily condensed down the backstory stuff and given us 50% more crazy, or just told a better story. Assuming it does well - and it will - they'll get more money and more freedom in the X-Men universe and not have to screw around with origin story nonsense. Not enough of Ryan Reynold's dick either.

The post credits scene was one of my favorite parts because it was just Deadpool riffing and nothing else.

liquidtmd

Banned

Absolutely.

Its like going to a Spider-Man film and saying "I don't get it. There was an origin tale but that was it. He crawled around and made some quips. And what was with that Aunt May stuff? 6/10"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom