• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadpool |OT| Weapon X Gon' Give It To Ya

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was OK, nothing particularly great about it but nothing egregiously shite either.

The main thing is that they got the Deadpool character right so it's in good shape for future movies.

EDIT: Basically I think Deadpool can't carry a movie on his own, he really needs someone to bounce off instead of a villain who doesn't even attempt a retort. What I'm (and probably everybody else) saying is that we need a Cable and Deadpool buddy comedy ASAP.

Maximo

Like entering the twilight zone when reading some of the negative reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, really weird opinions.

Sojgat

Like entering the twilight zone when reading some of the negative reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, really weird opinions.

Deadpool has always been divisive, and this movie is 100% pure Deadpool. Fans of the character will love it, but it won't be for everyone.

Afa

I thought it was good, not amazingly great but exactly what you'd expect it to be.
And I was initially worried they showed too much of the jokes in the trailers, rest assured, there's more laugh out loud comedy in store.

Between the DC dark serious movies, and Marvel's formulated manufacturing solids, Deadpool was a nice fresh change of pace.

Saiyan-Rox

went to see it last night and holy shit it was great! the humour was spot on and the 4th wall breaking was great xD some spoilery thigs below though.

the Nudity in the movie was waaaay more than I was expecting! full frontal and only a 15 O.O
Have to say the thing that was the biggest let down was the villian he was just so boring and blegh

Also that fight scene at the end was that one of shields helicarrier?

oh and that stab about the studio only affording 2 x-men was hilarious XD

neorej

ERMYGERD!
It was OK, nothing particularly great about it but nothing egregiously shite either.

The main thing is that they got the Deadpool character right so it's in good shape for future movies.

EDIT: Basically I think Deadpool can't carry a movie on his own, he really needs someone to bounce off instead of a villain who doesn't even attempt a retort. What I'm (and probably everybody else) saying is that we need a Cable and Deadpool buddy comedy ASAP.

IMHO Deadpool's best comic runs have been with Cable and X-Force, so let's hope Fox kicks this into high gear for the sequel.

Same character, different timeline. X-Men Days of Future Past wiped out that timeline, so that version of Deadpool never happened thankfully.

Ah that makes sense but Origins: Wolverine's verison of Wade Wilson wouldn't have been wiped out of existence so its a little confusing to me.

123rl

went to see it last night and holy shit it was great! the humour was spot on and the 4th wall breaking was great xD some spoilery thigs below though.

the Nudity in the movie was waaaay more than I was expecting! full frontal and only a 15 O.O
Have to say the thing that was the biggest let down was the villian he was just so boring and blegh

Also that fight scene at the end was that one of shields helicarrier?

oh and that stab about the studio only affording 2 x-men was hilarious XD

That got a great laugh but I think my favourite joke was:

Wait, a fourth wall break inside a fourth wall break? That's, like, 16 walls or something

Just got out of the theater before and I absolutely loved it.

That got a great laugh but I think my favourite joke was:

Wait, a fourth wall break inside a fourth wall break? That's, like, 16 walls or something

Mine's gotta be the scene in the final fight sequence
where he gets stabbed in the head and has a hallucination. Great attention to the audio as well!

Movie was great. Can't help but feel like it's a test to see how is performs though before more attention is put into it.

Deadpool 2 should be awesome.

EDIT - Was the UK version cut then as it was a 15? Didn't get to see Reynolds wang.

Most fun Marvel movie I've seen. Consistently entertaining unlike others that have weak middles or third acts. Post credits scene had the IMAX audience going.

Have to give props to the editing by Julian Clarke, those flashbacks went like a breeze.

Want to go see it again.

Love this poster that was at BFI IMAX:
Ca4eeGPWAAAGRJz.jpg

Its going to be a mixed bag movie at the end of the hype train, though I'm surprised that critics have liked it so much. Yet the people that get it, will love the hell of it and those that expected a better movie overall -whatever that means- will not.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Yep and that's the funniest part.

Deadpool is Deadpool take it or leave. Just like the comic book series.

What people need to realise is (how do I explain this?) Deadpool vehicles like comics, movies and videogames exist only to be vehicles that focus on Deadpool being Deadpool.

You're not going to get emotion, a deep story, mature character development. You're going to get a bunch of shit that happens in the background while Deadpool gets to be Deadpool.

Anyone expecting anything more should avoid it. Unless you're a Wham! and George Michael fan like me in which case you should also see it.

Busty

Banned
The trailers for this left me cold but I'll probably still check it out at some point. I'd be interested to read what people who have seen the film think of these two Deadpool questions.

A) If/when this film hits and Fox try to potentially spin the Deadpool character off into either X-Force or even the 'main' X-Men films what will become of his breaking the fourth wall schtick? While that may work in his individual film how will that work when entered into the 'X universe'? Will people expect it?

B) What happens is Deadpool really breaks out beyond it's core audience and becomes a hit ending with a North American gross that's bigger than X-Men Apocalypse? It's a long shot but not impossible. What would you do with Deadpool and the X-Men films going forward?

Just curious to see what people think.

Callego

EDIT - Was the UK version cut then as it was a 15? Didn't get to see Reynolds wang.
It's 16+ here in Australia and
it had the wang hangin'. During the escape from the oxygen tube and his hospital gown burns off you can see it dangling when he's pierced into the ground by that metal rod. No attention was really brought to it.
I'm also pretty sure I caught a brief shot of a vagina during the strip club scene, but it was so quick I might have imagined it.

Blader

Ah that makes sense but Origins: Wolverine's verison of Wade Wilson wouldn't have been wiped out of existence so its a little confusing to me.
Origins is set in the 80s, and everything from 1973 onward in the original timeline was wiped out after DOFP. So that version of Deadpool would be gone too.

What people need to realise is (how do I explain this?) Deadpool vehicles like comics, movies and videogames exist only to be vehicles that focus on Deadpool being Deadpool.

You're not going to get emotion, a deep story, mature character development. You're going to get a bunch of shit that happens in the background while Deadpool gets to be Deadpool.

Anyone expecting anything more should avoid it. Unless you're a Wham! and George Michael fan like me in which case you should also see it.

Right

This is what you get when Fox gave them money for this film and that's why it took so long to be green lit (other then the rating). Because ultimately this is a niche movie that has sold itself, so well to the public, that it might turn into a mini-empire (rather you like it or not) that kicks starts the X universe in a different way. Especially if enough people watch it and really like it or love it or just fall in love with Deadpool as a character with what he brings to the table.

Since Deadpool is not a serious person by nature it helps given the saturated climate.

He's a living breathing superhero parody, "trapped" in a very serious superhero universe so he flips the script. But Its crazy that this movie is tracking upwards of 60 million or higher, i mean it's a freaking Deadpool showcase origin story.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
The trailers for this left me cold but I'll probably still check it out at some point. I'd be interested to read what people who have seen the film think of these two Deadpool questions.

A) If/when this film hits and Fox try to potentially spin the Deadpool character off into either X-Force or even the 'main' X-Men films what will become of his breaking the fourth wall schtick? While that may work in his individual film how will that work when entered into the 'X universe'? Will people expect it?

B) What happens is Deadpool really breaks out beyond it's core audience and becomes a hit ending with a North American gross that's bigger than X-Men Apocalypse? It's a long shot but not impossible. What would you do with Deadpool and the X-Men films going forward?

Just curious to see what people think.

If the comics are anything to go by, he'll still break the fourth wall, but less and more subtle.

I could see Fox running both a Deadpool series and X-Men series of films side by side, occasionally crossing over every once in a while.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
If the comics are anything to go by, he'll still break the fourth wall, but less and more subtle.

I could see Fox running both a Deadpool series and X-Men series of films side by side, occasionally crossing over every once in a while.

A Reynolds/Jackman Deadpool/Wolverine buddy film would make so much baaaaaaaaaaank

guek

Banned
A Reynolds/Jackman Deadpool/Wolverine buddy film would make so much baaaaaaaaaaank

It's gonna be Cable/Deadpool, no doubt about it. My vote for casting would be Ray Stevenson. His role as Valstaad in Thor might conflict a bit but he's unrecognizeable in those movies with all the prosthetics and makeup so it might not matter.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
It's gonna be Cable/Deadpool, no doubt about it. My vote for casting would be Ray Stevenson. His role as Valstaad in Thor might conflict a bit but he's unrecognizeable in those movies with all the prosthetics and makeup so it might not matter.

I know Cable will be in the sequel, but there needs to be a Deadpool/Wolverine movie at some stage regardless.

Blader

I think they can definitely tackle the Dark Angel saga for an X-Force movie -- they've already got two of its biggest plot points set up by Apocalypse.

Probably swap out Fantomex for Gambit, unless Tatum's movie bombs.

Angel_DvA

What a terrible movie, I have no word, Deadpool himself is really good but the movie itself is one of the worst thing I've seen the last 2 years... I hope the sequel will be WAY better.

Busty

Banned

The second Deadpool breaks the fourth wall in a 'non Deadpool' film that entire thing will be totally ruined.

That's why I'm curious to see how Fox will introduce a meta character like Deadpool into their already established (albeit not that bothered about continuity) franchise.

Origins is set in the 80s, and everything from 1973 onward in the original timeline was wiped out after DOFP. So that version of Deadpool would be gone too.

Yeah the 80's Deadpool wouldn't have been made but it doesn't stop that Wade Wilson from being born. Is there an explanation to why there are two of him?

The second Deadpool breaks the fourth wall in a 'non Deadpool' film that entire thing will be totally ruined.

That's why I'm curious to see how Fox will introduce a meta character like Deadpool into their already established (albeit not that bothered about continuity) franchise.

I don't think so. The way it typically works (or how it works for me at least) is Deadpool will make comments or observations that break the fourth wall, and basically everyone around him is just like "shutup wade" or ignores him because they can't comprehend what he's talking about. It usually just gets shrugged off as his nonsense rambling and only the reader is in on it.

I think that would go over just fine with Deadpool in someone else's movie.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

How would it be ruined?

Busty

Banned
I don't think so. The way it typically works (or how it works for me at least) is Deadpool will make comments or observations that break the fourth wall, and basically everyone around him is just like "shutup wade" or ignores him because they can't comprehend what he's talking about. It usually just gets shrugged off as his nonsense rambling and only the reader is in on it.

I think that would go over just fine with Deadpool in someone else's movie.

How would it be ruined?

It would literally have a character address the audience directly thus taking them out of the drama of the situation. Just because it works in comics (a very different medium) doesn't mean that it will work in film.

There's a reason it's called breaking the fourth wall, it breaks the illusion of the drama, it makes the viewer consciously aware of the fact that they are watching a film.

It would literally have a character address the audience directly thus taking them out of the drama of the situation. Just because it works in comics (a very different medium) doesn't mean that it will work in film.

There's a reason it's called breaking the fourth wall, it breaks the illusion of the drama, it makes the viewer consciously aware of the fact that they are watching a film.

I don't really think that's going to make or break a film. The Big Short broke the fourth wall constantly and it didn't detract from the movie at all. It's just another way to flesh out a character or narrative.

There's a reason it's called breaking the fourth wall, it breaks the illusion of the drama, it makes the viewer consciously aware that they are watching a film.

It can be subtle. Generally, in team-up books Wade doesn't address the audience directly because the story isn't being told from his point of view or anything.

It's not like the highly melodramatic X-Men films aren't already full of silly jokes and gags. Giving Deadpool a few lines that would get the audience in on the joke wouldn't really ruin anything.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

Because Cyclops asking WOlverine if he'd rather be wearing yellow spandex was high drama and totally not breaking a fourth wall....

Busty

Banned
I don't really think that's going to make or break a film. The Big Short broke the fourth wall constantly and it didn't detract from the movie at all. It's just another way to flesh out a character or narrative.

Given that the film (which I haven't seen admittedly) set out this mechanic at the start of the film and effectively 'set out its stall' to unfold its story that way it didn't seem jarring. Try doing that in a film series that has never done it before. Can you really imagine Daniel Craig turing to the audience and rolling his eyes during the next Bond film?

It can be subtle. Generally, in team-up books Wade doesn't address the audience directly because the story isn't being told from his point of view or anything.

It's not like the highly melodramatic X-Men films aren't already full of silly jokes and gags. Giving Deadpool a few lines that would get the audience in on the joke wouldn't really ruin anything.

It would. Of course it would. It feels weird that we're even seriously discussing this. As I said above imagine a series of films and then imagine how jarring it would be to have the lead character directly address the audience.

Can you seriously imagine Bryan Cranston directly talking to the audience during a later episode of Breaking Bad?

Because Cyclops asking WOlverine if he'd rather be wearing yellow spandex was high drama and totally not breaking a fourth wall....

It wasn't. You don't understand what we're talking about.

Can you seriously imagine Bryan Cranston directly talking to the audience during a later episode of Breaking Bad?

Of course not, it's not really an apt comparison. We're talking about a comic book movie here, not a serious TV drama.

But if we're gonna go there, does it ruin the drama of House of Cards for you when it happens in that show? People seem to love that shit.

There are ways to break the fourth wall or suggest his self-awareness without having him look and speak directly to the viewer. Like I said, it should be subtle.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Given that the film (which I haven't seen admittedly) set out this mechanic at the start of the film and effectively 'set out its stall' to unfold its story that way it didn't seem jarring. Try doing that in a film series that has never done it before. Can you really imagine Daniel Craig turing to the audience and rolling his eyes during the next Bond film?

It would. Of course it would. It feels weird that we're even seriously discussing this. As I said above imagine a series of films and then imagine how jarring it would be to have the lead character directly address the audience.

It wasn't. You don't understand what we're talking about.

Breaking the fourth wall is more than climbing through the screen and talking to the audience. Cyclops didn't get that yellow spandex line for any other reason than a big wink to the audience.

Deadpool isn't Bond though. That's why that would be weird. It won't be weird or jarring with Deadpool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom