• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA E3 2015 Sports Interview Press Conference Thread

What are you here for?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Why was Shinobi looking forward to this?

Already the most boring conference.

Star Wars was good though. Need to see more.
I'm not sure, but a lot of people said he hyped this conference as his most anticipated one.

Maybe he's a super Pele fan.
Of course, wanted to see Mass Effect. Ya'll should know my obsession by now lol.

Wasn't telling anyone else they should anticipate it the most.

Apathy

Google has shit on twitch so badly throughout E3 it's amazing really. Shit brightnes levels, jittery as fuck, mass amounts of buffering, crashing in the middle of big moments.

Twitch needs to upgrade their servers and get HTML5 up and ready, like right now. Google is not one of the companies they can just ignore so it's time for them to start giving a shit again.

I was thinking the same. They just need the steamers to switch.

I don't get people saying that "sport stuff run for too long"... are this people serious? EA became a powerhouse and it is currently the biggest 3rd party publisher in the world BECAUSE of the sports games.

FIFA and Madden are perhaps one of the most famous videogame brands on the world. I would guess more people on the world have played a game of FIFA over the last 25 years that people that have played almost any other videogame franchise... And people still think that the sport segments were out of place? I mean I know most videogame fans aren't the most biggest sport fans, but people need to realize that FIFA and Madden are more than videogames at this point.

Yep;overall the people who play videogames that hate sports games are pretty niche as can be seen by the sales numbers of sports games and the legs that they have. EA is madden and FIFA the fact that people don't realize that is mind-boggling.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
What an awful conference.

Shit CG trailer for FIFA, nothing else interested me.

At least Star Wars looked good.

red731

Why are we making fun of the Unravel dude again? First time in front of big effin crowd? Sharing his and his teams passion? Showing emotions?

Bethesda - 7/10

Microsoft - 8.5/10 (really surprised to see such low scores here)

EA - 6/10

Why are we making fun of the Unravel dude again? First time in front of big effin crowd? Sharing his and his teams passion? Showing emotions?

It's a microcosm of the worst aspects of internet culture. Super cynical, especially when genuine emotion is displayed

TM94

Well it's hard to imagine how EA could have done worse than last year.

They almost bloody did it.

A woeful conference, saved by Mirror's Edge, Battlefront demo and the delightful Unravel.

Nailed on worst conference of the show.

3/10

farisr

Should've watched the Giant Bomb stream. I kid you not, I fell asleep as soon as they started talking about the NFL draft (it's the afternoon over here).

Weird how they could have more game content than last year, yet managed to make it that much more boring somehow.

You know, a gaming conference in the US is probably the absolute least appropriate audience to talk about soccer and interview players for so long.

Zoracka

Well, I thought Bethesda's presentation was decent and Microsoft's was good.

This was just plain bad. Even though Battlefront looked absolutely excellent, it just doesn't redeem the train weck of a show.

I would like to know where Criterion was. They've already had their game teased so why didn't we get anything this year? Mirror's Edge went 2 E3's with little to nothing to show but it was still there. Where was Criterion?

Yawnier

Banned
This conference gets a solid 4/10 from me

Unravel, Mirror's Edge, and Battlefront were what interested me the most. Garden Warfare 2 looked alright.

The pacing from the middle to the end of this conference was awful, though. Going from sports (NHL, Golf, FIFA) -> mobile -> sports (Pele Interview, why?) -> Mirror's Edge Trailer -> back to sports again (NFL) and talking about building your own fantasy team. Ugh....

I buy some of EA's sports games once every few years (mainly NHL and NFL) but come on, it felt like they were in their own little bubble with this conference.

phil39p41.jpg

border

Yep;overall the people who play videogames that hate sports games are pretty niche as can be seen by the sales numbers of sports games and the legs that they have. EA is madden and FIFA the fact that people don't realize that is mind-boggling.
The problem is the proportion of sports content as compared to the amount of gaming content.

Instead of a mirror's Edge demo we get 5 minutes of Pele rambling. Instead of an Unravel demo we get endless yammer about fantasy sports, which last I checked don't even qualify as video games.

mclem

I only half-watched it - tonight's a raid night and it clashed with it - but my main positive impressions were that Unravel looked utterly fascinating and the segue from FMV to controllable gameplay in Need For Speed was really good. I'd have to see it on a proper screen, though, becaue my phone may have been misleading.

The negative? Oh, so much dullness. Mirror's Edge looks promising but I missed most of it, so I'll just wait and see on that. SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS pele SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS.

The problem is the proportion of sports content as compared to the amount of gaming content.

Instead of a mirror's Edge demo we get 5 minutes of Pele rambling. Instead of an Unravel demo we get endless yammer about fantasy sports, which last I checked don't even qualify as video games.

Not to be contrarian. But for FIFA it is HUGE to have Pele endorsing the game, I mean he sure collected over 1M or more for the endorsement so EA is most likely trying to get all the worth out of the deal, I know it may look out of place but the only way FIFA could had a bigger marketing figure if it they got Maradona and got him to trash talk Blatter live (which wouldn't be difficult other than paying him perhaps even double of what Pele got).

From a Marketing point of view it was more important to have Pele on stage than almost every other thing on the conference. With Madden fantasy team is the same, which btw was a new game mode.

Is like people NEED to realize that EA IS SPORTS, His current CEO was the CEO of EA SPORTS and was made CEO of the entire company because his work with FIFA and Madden made EA shit ton of money so much that EA became again the biggest 3rd party publisher. If anything it is a luck that Sport games isn't like 80% of their conference.

Fruitster

New Mass Effect is happy news for me, but disappointed we didn't see more. Unravel, Mirrors Edge and Battlefront all looked great, but that conference was painful. It was all Fifa.

T.O.P

Banned
Bathesda 8.5
Microsoft 8.5
EA 6.5

Need For Speed / Mirror's Edge / Unravel looked good enough to make it worth it

I hate sports and dgaf about Star Wars, so yeah

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Mass Effect Andromeda: 5/10. Early CG / target footage. Andromeda is a neat setting. I loved Mass Effect (especially the first game) but I think it makes a much worse action shooter than it does a sci-fi RPG, so I think they should focus on making a sci-fi RPG. The trailer suggests they're still focusing on making an action shooter. Beyond that there's not much to go off of. I'm not really someone that gets hyped by CG trailers for semi-annualized games. Any game series that sells well will get infinite sequels, so the mere fact that one exists should not really be cause of excitement. Next year there will presumably be a Dragon Age trailer, and it won't be "OMG HYPE" because if you are reading this and you don't know there's going to be a Dragon Age 4, well, focus all your brain power on remembering to breathe or you might die.

Need for Speed: 7/10. The opening FMV thing looked kinda dumb, with Guitar Hero Live it almost feels like a trend. But then the transition to the in-game footage was so smooth. The game looked beautiful. I wish there was a little less UI because we had this beautiful world with spectacular weather effects and a great looking city. Car was amazing. Felt like a great open world feel. I have no idea if this will be fun to play, but I was very impressed by how it looked.

The Old Republic Expansion: 0/10. It's a fourth expansion or whatever to an MMO. The direction sounds fine, of course, but getting into an MMO at this point means substantial baggage.

Unravel: 10/10. Looked beautiful, mechanics and physics looked great (I think we might finally be reaching the point where physics are good enough that physics platformers don't feel janky. I feel like I just cursed it.) Developer seemed effusive. The snow scene in the trailer was beautiful. And I actually liked that the whole world wasn't textiles. You're playing with yarn in the real world, not in a yarn world. I hope EA's publishing doesn't needlessly kneecap availability on PC outside Origin, add DLC or microtransactions, or otherwise hurt the game. I wouldn't normally have to say this, but I feel like Trapdoor/EA's Warp suffered from EA publishing it, and the DeathSpank series is a similarly weird cock-up.

PvZ GW2 7-ish/10: Well, the dude in the zombie suit was dumb. The game itself looked pleasant and I'm glad they showed actual gameplay. It looked kinda like Orcs Must Die. Way too many prompts on screen, would like a cleaner UI. Glad it's multiplayer and that they're sticking with it and expanding the scope.

Mobile: 0/10. Pathetic. Minion's Paradise looks like another shitty wait for the timer F2P city building, like an even less charming Simpsons Tapped Out. To have someone stand up and get excited about it and then pretend that it's a big deal that "Phil" is "EXCLUSIVE" to this... are you kidding me? Who gives a shit, it's cheap disposable garbage that milks money out of people who have gambling propensities. EA has the capability to make good mobile games, and actually several of their early mobile games were pretty good. But at this point they pump out excrement. I notice their live demo for this shitty game didn't have one of the no doubt countless "You need to wait or pay money! Buy some premium currency you filthy animal!" screens. Fuck Phil, fuck this.

Sports: This all looked pretty dumb. I hate the stupid tech buzzwords ("GameFace HD ScanningTek" was this necessary? "LiveMotion"). It's pathetic and it makes the already slimy business of selling annualized stuff feel even more like used car sales. Why did they get some random doofus from the audience up on stage and then put his Twitter username on the screen? There's no way this comes off as "authentic" to the audience they're trying to reach. Talking about "swag" is just awful. The NBA Live animation stuff did look pretty good... but then after spending 10 minutes on it, they showed a trailer that mostly showed the same stuff. Then Pele happened and I went away. Then I came back and they were still doing sports stuff. I'm glad FIFA includes women's national teams, I'm really impressed with how well the industry has done so far this year with making it clear that gaming is for everyone.

Mirror's Edge: 7/10. The trailer makes it clear that Mirror's Edge is Mirror's Edge. You wanted more Mirror's Edge? Well, this is Mirror's Edge. I'm not sure I was able to form an impression beyond that. It looks good, obviously, but I don't really know that it's doing anything new.

Battlefront: 8/10. This looked really beautiful. Again, too much stuff happening in the UI. Clean that shit up and imagine how well it will look. I don't want CoD-esque prompts coming up everywhere. The motion looked good, the scale was great. Looks like they've done a good job of following up on the original two games. I have just one presentation beef: having the woman up there talk about what Star Wars means to her.

I understand that there are stuff that people grow up with and it's magical and all that. But you never hear people talk about how McDonald's is magical to them. One of the reasons is because McDonald's is everywhere all the time. No one ever goes through a part of their life wanting more McDonald's, because if you want it, you never have it. Star Wars was magical in part because because it was a one off... and then two sequels... and then a long wait before they were widely available at home... and then a surprise announcement, a generation later, that there would be new movies. That's magical. Now, Star Wars is going to be releasing at least one movie and at least one AAA marquee 10 million seller game every single year. Star Wars merchandise is everywhere. No one ever has to go a day without something new Star Wars related.

I can believe Star Wars is enjoyable... but I truly don't understand what world someone is living in if they still think it's magical.

All in all it wasn't the worst EA conference ever, but it suffered from the same crap that drags them down every year. Lots of people love and buy EA sports games, but you can't tell me that the way they handle them in their press conferences is the best way to do it. At least they had some content this year.

Pandemic

So I uh, missed the press conference since my alarm didn't go off.

Was there any stand-outs that someone could fill me in on?

Much appreciated,
Cheers.

Valhelm

contribute something
Yeah, fuck his childhood dream.

They should make a dark and gritty fps.

You misunderstand me. Whimsy is awesome, but it seems like every year there are four or five identical 2D platformers that do very little than look pretty and appeal to older gamers' sense of nostalgia.

Tagg9

Of course, wanted to see Mass Effect. Ya'll should know my obsession by now lol.

Wasn't telling anyone else they should anticipate it the most.

Come on, man. Just own up to the fact that you didn't know what they were going to show at the conference. No one would get excited at the prospect of seeing a 30 second CG teaser ("in-engine target").

Also, I still don't have an answer for this - at the beginning they promised 3 new IPs. Apart from Unravel, what the hell were they?

Come on, man. Just own up to the fact that you didn't know what they were going to show at the conference. No one would get excited at the prospect of seeing a 30 second CG teaser ("in-engine target").

Also, I still don't have an answer for this - at the beginning they promised 3 new IPs. Apart from Unravel, what the hell were they?
There is nothing to "own up" to. A few people asked me what conference I was looking forward to the most, and I said EA, specifically for one thing. Mass Effect's my favorite IP, self-explanatory, never hyped it up to anybody. I knew the trailer would be there. And it was 2 minutes long.

I just watched the trailer for NHL and find it visually astounding.

There is a color filter applied (or a curve like those used in Photoshop or Lightroom) that makes the game appear as if it was shot on film stock. It's high contrast with a slightly blue tint and desaturated red tones.

I hope the full game looks like this; the trailer is doing something no other sports game has and looks gorgeous because of it.

https://youtu.be/IDumJG4RXt8

Top Bottom