• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Song Contest 2014 in Copenhagen |OT| The Queen of Europe rises

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Poland.
You keep on doing that Poland thing.

I really enjoyed the hamster wheel song if only for the giant hamster wheel. I also enjoyed Iceland's song about no prejudice if only for the fact they looked like Wiggles.

And that circular piano. Does anyone have a gif of that guy playing it and it looks like he has no idea what he is doing?

Shahadan

That set design... man that set design is next level shit. And the way it punctuated Rise like a Phoenix... just absurdly stunning stuff.

Some of them were truly appropriate and fit the song. Who decides of this btw? Is it a team from denmark or is there one person for each country designing the imagery in accordance with their song?

addik

I think each country brings in someone to direct their performance. So he talks with the producers what sort of angles he want, when he wants it at the part of the song, and I assume he has a Production Designer that takes care of the song's visuals.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Yeah I'd assume countries would handle most of it themselves or people could complain that they lost because the host country screwed them over with the production

bjaelke

Some of them were truly appropriate and fit the song. Who decides of this btw? Is it a team from denmark or is there one person for each country designing the imagery in accordance with their song?

There was a local content creator who worked with each country to create the interactive show. Some countries had specific wishes and others just went with the proposed setup. Everything was created by the local team who knew the scene setup.

Linkinito

Many people in our country really consider we should really drop out of this competition. We just can't catch the ears of all other countries (and no one of our neighbors vote for us).

Honestly, I think the TV Channel that selects the candidates for us at Eurovision has only one goal: TO NOT WIN.

Being French. :(

Milchmann

Many people in our country really consider we should really drop out of this competition. We just can't catch the ears of all other countries (and no one of our neighbors vote for us).

Honestly, I think the TV Channel that selects the candidates for us at Eurovision has only one goal: TO NOT WIN.

Well, despite being a good song the performance on the stage was crappy. I guess that some countries were hurt by a weak performance and show on this versatile stage. The most evident examples were France, UK and Germany.

addik

Well, Conchita's win is probably what I would call a "Let It Go" syndrome (only applicable to me). I didn't Let It Go as a song, but only came to enjoy it after seeing it in the movie and how it was used. It was the same for me with Austria--hearing the song in itself, it's nothing special (except for the lyrics and the instrumentation). It wasn't something that I would put in my Ipod.

Seeing it live with the effects and theatricality of the song, it worked for me. Plus, I always thought Conchita's vocals did not do anything for me, but that night I was impressed by how she sang it conviction. I was happy that she won (although I preferred the Dutch entry), but, again, it wouldn't be something I would listen to on the go (unlike Calm After the Storm, which I have been listening to when I go for a drive)

Jasup

In my opinion not winning the Eurovision is the stupidest reason to not participate in Eurovision, it's still the greatest party on earth and should be viewed as such. The competition aspect is only a part of the appeal of the event, and in Western Europe it's not taken that seriously any more.

Look at Finland for example, the first appearance on Eurovision was in 1961 and the first win was in 2006, the second best result was 6th place in 1973. Prior to the win everyone had lost all hope of winning, but Finland still participated every year (when it wasn't relegated from the competition due to older rules) because It's Eurovision.

Shahadan

I really don't get why Armenia's song was popular in so many countries. I just heard noise, and poorly made at that. Felt like two youtube videos playing at the same time.

Edit: also lol@ the number of views on youtube for Poland compared to the other songs.

I really don't get why Armenia's song was popular in so many countries. I just heard noise, and poorly made at that. Felt like two youtube videos playing at the same time.

Edit: also lol@ the number of views on youtube for Poland compared to the other songs.

I really like Armenia's song. If I wasn't inclined to vote for something more lively for Eurovision, it would be my choice. Although I don't think he did a particularly good job live, especially in the Final.

akaoni

Banned
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27371264

The UK phone vote gave Poland's Donatan and Cleo top marks but the jury thought they were the worst act of the night.

Their combined score meant Poland ended up with nil points from the British.

Most of the countries' voting power is split 50/50 between a jury and the public. Austria's Conchita Wurst won the contest in Copenhagen on Saturday.

Other discrepancies included Germany, whose public vote put Greece in fourth place but whose jury ranked it fourth from bottom at 22nd. Again, this resulted in nil points overall.

Ireland also gave Poland top marks in the telephone vote but the song We are Slavs was given bottom marks by the jury panel.

I think the voting needs to change again.

GCX

Look at Finland for example, the first appearance on Eurovision was in 1961 and the first win was in 2006, the second best result was 6th place in 1973. Prior to the win everyone had lost all hope of winning, but Finland still participated every year (when it wasn't relegated from the competition due to older rules) because It's Eurovision.
Finland was also the only country back in the day that took part in both Eurovision AND Intervision (the eastern bloc version of the Eurovision during the cold war). Double the fun, double the party!

MicH

Oh boy. Conservative Danish politicians now want Denmark out of the Euroovision because it's now, after Conchita Wurst's win, "only about politics and gay rights instead of a song competition"

... but isn't Cliche Love Song filled with a bunch of references to lesbianism? lol

Even girls they whistle - (whistle)
I know, it's hard to get her
She's a special girl

Like Katy Perry - So Sexy
She could kiss a lucky girl
Taste like cherry - Cherry

etc.

---

I do appreciate that they made the jury members and the specific numbers public this year. A lot of these conversations would be shot-in-the-dark speculation without all the information.

Joni

Oh boy. Conservative Danish politicians now want Denmark out of the Euroovision because it's now, after Conchita Wurst's win, "only about politics and gay rights instead of a song competition"
I can get this sentiment in countries that fail every time. I don't get this when the sentiment is coming from the country that won a year ago.

MicH

I can get this sentiment in countries that fail every time. I don't get this when the sentiment is coming from the country that won a year ago.
I think it ties into the whole booing at Russia stuff too. It's only the really conservative politicians that have said this

Kabouter

As pretty much expected the Common Linnets are tracking better than Conchita. The people saying she won because of the beard may have a point. Though Heh at her being number one in Russia.

http://esctracker.com/#sthash.wYFK47vT.dpuf

I like the result if you sort by youtube votes. The most visually exciting video certainly doing well.

Yeah, but it sounds really stupid in this case. They should be hit with a giant cartboard version of Emily.

Which reminds me. Denmark should have sent Emily again with that new song of hers, much better than the Bruno Mars wannabe. I'd say Rainmaker would have had a shot at #1. (Or #2, more realistically :p)

Edit: Also hilarious, Jon Oliver's Last Week Tonight on Eurovision: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We1IvUe6KLo

GCX

I think many of you are forgetting what absolute disasters the votings were when they were no juries at all.

bjaelke

Which reminds me. Denmark should have sent Emily again with that new song of hers, much better than the Bruno Mars wannabe. I'd say Rainmaker would have had a shot at #1. (Or #2, more realistically :p)

They couldn't afford to host another show so they purposefully picked a mediocre entry for the final.

MicH

They couldn't afford to host another show so they purposefully picked a mediocre entry for the final.
That is sorta true. This years Eurovision cost 22 million Kroner more than what their budget was, and there was no way we could host another Eurovision next year so it would have been really bad had we somehow won again as we wouldn't be able to afford it whatsoever

Tash

Every year the countries who end up last or at the tail say this. We do as well.
Switzerland has been saying this for years and now that we finally ended up doing a bit better, people are all excited again.

It's not like France has been at the tail forever either..Switzerland didn't even make it into the finals many times..
In the spirit of sportsmanship: Participation is the most fun.

Yeah, because it wasn't political before? Give me a freaking break. Just because all of a sudden there is a topic that is important and Europe obviously feels strongly about, there is a problem now? I don't get that logic.

Eurovision was never NOT political. Lyrics have been transmitting statements forever and songs about freedom and peace where always ok. So now that someone actually makes a personal statement that takes a lot of courage on top it's not ok any more? Pretty obvious that it's hidden homophobia that triggers these reactions :) The statement of the winner song wasn't even about being gay but about being yourself and personal freedom in general. And don't get me started on the political voting..

Also, I wonder how many other male singers in this years competition were actually gay...just saying ;)

On the song quality topic: I loved the Netherlands but it is actually very repetitive and while catchy it's not really such an amazing feat song-writing wise. Austria's and Holland's songs where very much in the same quality imo. Yet the performance was just all around more catchy by the winner song and that is what it was always about: Decent/good/great performances with catchy songs and a great show.

I don't see how this has changed in any way..

SmokeMaxX

Anyone have links to other great performances of Eurovision? Not sure which ones I should be watching haha. Enjoyed the winner's performance though.

Aiii

So not worth it
Heh:
10152425_637130343047128_5585878317954737199_n.jpg

sono

I did not like the winning song. I much preferred the Swedish tune.

My concern is that if Conchita didnt have a beard would the tune have won ?

I also thought a number of the entries devalued the competition by trying to be comical for example the French entry.

kottila

I did not like the winning song. I much preferred the Swedish tune.

My concern is that if Conchita didnt have a beard would the tune have won ?

I also thought a number of the entries devalued the competition by trying to be comical for example the French entry.

lol. it's Eurovision, the spectacle is 79% of the point of watching it. 26 mediocre to awful songs would make me shoot my brains out. ps. france had one of the best songs, so suck it (just a little too hip for Europe and their performance was meh)

for the record this was the second place finisher at Melodifestivalen 2014, just barely losing to Sanna and Yawndo for the right to compete at ESC

would have been much more fun imo

spekkeh

Banned
just a little too hip for Europe

I want a moustache? I dunno, came across like a joke song to me too. Doesn't help that nobody in Europe speaks French anymore, it's starting to seriously hurt their chances. I was lolling pretty hard at the one host looking completely nonplussed when the French voting person was on. (sorry French Gaf)

Shahadan

I want a moustache? I dunno, came across like a joke song to me too. Doesn't help that nobody in Europe speaks French anymore, it's starting to seriously hurt their chances. I was lolling pretty hard at the one host looking completely nonplussed when the French voting person was on. (sorry French Gaf)

Yeah on top of that way too often the voting person insists on talking and talking and talking for no reason. No one understands you ! And for those of us who do, it's embarassing anyway.

Alrus

The Eurovision was never meant to be a serious singing competition. Dumb gimmicks, campy song and stuff like that is what makes the competition so entertaining to watch.

romania's 'miracle' is such a tune. plus the lady's dance moves are cuteeee.

Ovi "playing" that circular piano was hilarious to watch, though.

But I'm still miffed that Israel didn't even make it to the grand final. It was a great song with a solid performance. Mei could've been a bit more confident in her singing, but it certainly wasn't deserving of 14th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom