• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Song Contest 2014 in Copenhagen |OT| The Queen of Europe rises

Status
Not open for further replies.

addik

So what's GAF's verdict on this year's Eurovision?

I thought there were more crazy entries last year, but more decent songs this year. My siblings were reading descriptions of last year's Eurovision and they seem to make it crazier than it sounds, although only in paper. I did like last year's though... more than 2012's.

This year, we actually had good entries. I was personally a fan of The Netherlands. I was fine with Armenia although I really did not want it to win. Malta, Finland, and Denmark I thought had great entries. Despite that, we also had our set of crazies (Iceland topping the cake, Belarus topping the cheesecake, Poland... the butter?). Online reactions to Armenia was also funny. It literally went from "Shit, I don't want another ballad!" to "Holy fuck, that escalated quickly, WUB WUB WUB a perfect dubstep song for stalkers."

The results were much more unpredictable too. I was so sure Armenia had it in the bag, that Netherlands won't even make it to Top 10. During the show, it was clear Conchita was going to win, but the Netherlands catching up at points made it unpredictable.

The boos to Russia I thought were entertaining but a little to extreme though. It was still interesting to realize what the general sentiments were against Russia's recent actions (although to be fair, this show does cater to audiences that Russia is trying to persecute).

So yeah, I thought this year's Eurovision was enjoyable. I would have done with more crazy entries though.

And_Boy

Urgh, had it been purely about the music I feel that Russia would have had a much better chance. That booing was completely out of order, last time I checked those two 17 year olds didn't personally invade the Ukraine.

Russias song really stick with me.

Agreed. This is why we can't have nice things. In Eurovision at least. Those girls really seemed they can sing without any stupid behavior, they also won Junior Eurovision. They were among few talents who brought last night some professionalism and not fucking Russian politics.

Shahadan

Agreed. This is why we can't have nice things. In Eurovision at least. Those girls really seemed they can sing without any stupid behavior, they also won Junior Eurovision. They were among few talents who brought last night some professionalism and not fucking Russian politics.

It's probably unfair to them, but it's how these things go. If you're representing a whole country on an international level and the country screws up, you're in for repercussions even if you didn't do anything on a personal level.
The booing was probably more appropriate during Russia's points segment, though, but less effective.

zeopower6

I wonder what made him pick the name Conchita. It has a very strong Spanish sense to it.

Conchita - 'little c**t'
Wurst - penis

So I assume that was the inspiration behind the name, lol.

EDIT: http://live.wsj.com/video/eurovisio...rst/75B7D163-8F5D-4BD9-825B-26B4D570DC70.html

Looks like it was a totally unintentional coincidence?!

Wurst comes from slang for 'I don't care/it's not important' in Austria/Germany and she had a friend in Cuba that she asked 'What is the name of a woman that everyone wants to go out with?' and her friend replied 'Concha'. But she didn't like that so her friend mentioned that 'Conchita' would be better sounding and her name was born.

And_Boy

So what would you listen or remember long after 2014 Eurovision?

Switzerland song may be the only I could listen if it comes up on the radio.

Shahadan

Well that was fast.

Edit: The french medias are ripping our candidate's entry apart, as usual :lol:
We did our worst score ever, which is saying something.

Fritz

I wonder what made him pick the name Conchita. It has a very strong Spanish sense to it.

Conchita - the persona he created - is Colombian.

I just read that Conchita got the most votes from the German audience but was rated rather low by the German jury, so thats why she only got like 5 points from Germany. I know there is no block voting amongst the germanspeaking countries but I was kinda wondering about the low points she got from here.

Kabouter

Well that was fast.

Edit: The french medias are ripping our candidate's entry apart, as usual :lol:
We did our worst score ever, which is saying something.

I liked the song, but I did think the performance yesterday was pretty weak. Even with that though, I feel like it deserved to do a lot better than it actually did.

Hellers

Really enjoyed this years. Songs I liked. Russia, Austria, Sweden, Poland. I even liked the UK entry for a change. Poor France deserved more points though. Twin Twin had a good catchy tune and they're a great band (Their album is on Spotify). I did feel sorry for the Russian girls. They didn't deserve the booing they got.

Pleased for the winner too. Felt a bit like the year Lordi won (God bless Lordi. Best Eurovision ever)

CassSept

You just cannot imagine the media/general public outburst over this. Every other day of the year everyone rips on the Eurovision and acts like they don't care, but this week suddenly it became the hottest topic because we've sent tits and somehow this was supposed to show the direction the Europe is taking and become a battle between beautiful Slavic women and woman with a beard. Or something. It's hilarious.

The dumb in the comments on major news sites battles YouTube and I'm not even joking. I love long wall of text tirades with a clause "it's not like I care about the contest". Incredible, simply incredible.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Graham Norton was the highlight of last night, so funny

sholvaco

Neo Member
Woke up with the chorus to Finland's song playing in my head, it wouldn't make a half bad Killers song. Will listen to fo sho. Armenia, Poland maybe France will get some play as well.

To anybody in the know: Isn't there something like an unofficial national selection runner up songs competition "held" every year? Anybody got this years results? I kinda want to see what we missed out on.

So what's GAF's verdict on this year's Eurovision?

I thought there were more crazy entries last year, but more decent songs this year. My siblings were reading descriptions of last year's Eurovision and they seem to make it crazier than it sounds, although only in paper. I did like last year's though... more than 2012's.

This year, we actually had good entries. I was personally a fan of The Netherlands. I was fine with Armenia although I really did not want it to win. Malta, Finland, and Denmark I thought had great entries. Despite that, we also had our set of crazies (Iceland topping the cake, Belarus topping the cheesecake, Poland... the butter?). Online reactions to Armenia was also funny. It literally went from "Shit, I don't want another ballad!" to "Holy fuck, that escalated quickly, WUB WUB WUB a perfect dubstep song for stalkers."

The results were much more unpredictable too. I was so sure Armenia had it in the bag, that Netherlands won't even make it to Top 10. During the show, it was clear Conchita was going to win, but the Netherlands catching up at points made it unpredictable.

The boos to Russia I thought were entertaining but a little to extreme though. It was still interesting to realize what the general sentiments were against Russia's recent actions (although to be fair, this show does cater to audiences that Russia is trying to persecute).

So yeah, I thought this year's Eurovision was enjoyable. I would have done with more crazy entries though.
My verdict is that eurovision

needs more epic sax guy

Jasup

As always, this year's thread has grown a lot bigger than last year's (by well over 1500 posts so far). Eurovision GAF keeps on expanding.

It's been a steady expansion during the years both in number of posts and individual posters.
gafrovisionk3xo7.jpg

Code:
year	2007*	2008	2009	2010	2011	2012	2013	2014
posts	899	1452	1191	2810	3387	3669	4137	5834
posters	105	150	109	236	276	283	336	375

* A thread from 2006 was used for the 2007 event, numbers cover both years.
Hangover's starting to finally ease up.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I wonder how we actually got to second place. I felt the Netherlands had a very non-memorable song.

I didn't see the other performances though.

oti

Banned
Netherlands was this year's "My taste in music is far too sophisticated for me to enjoy that crap called Eurovision, but this song is ok". I liked the song.

Overall the show had better songs than last year, best song Austria, best party song Greece, best "YEAH!" song Poland. The right song won but the rules regarding the national juries need some adjustments. Germany wanted to give Austria 12 points, the jury pushed her to only 7 points. Poland got robbed, Greece got robbed, every song that wasn't a ballad got robbed. Make the jury votes count 25% of the overall votes or something.

And Denmark was a pretty bad host. After Germany and Sweden the three hosts were boring and that ladder thing.

GCX

And Denmark was a pretty bad host. After Germany and Sweden the three hosts were boring and that ladder thing.
Eh, I thought Denmark did fine job. The female host especially was really great and I liked for example the Australia show in the 2nd semi. Also the "postcards" between songs were done beautifully and the stage was nice too.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Anyone know what the whole Chinese thing was about? Also what did they say to Graham?

spekkeh

Banned
I wonder how we actually got to second place. I felt the Netherlands had a very non-memorable song.

I didn't see the other performances though.
I thought this was a pretty weak year. I was more of a fan of the outrageous gay vampire last year than the bearded lady in this and 2012 had such a good field that Loreen wasn't even my favorite. The Netherlands' entry may have been a bit unassuming, but it was expertly produced. A song that could easily chart outside of the Eurovision, making the other songs seem amateurish in comparison. That worked in its favor. The ESC is slowly but steadily becoming about actually good songs instead of campy schlock (the winners maybe notwithstanding), and the audience vote seems to reflect this.

oti

Banned
On the other hand, the show looked bloody amazing. That floor, damn.

Eh, I thought Denmark did fine job. The female host especially was really great and I liked for example the Australia show in the 2nd semi. Also the "postcards" between songs were done beautifully and the stage was nice too.

Yeah, you're right. Stage was cool (Germany's stage in 2011 was waaaay too much), it's just that the jokes were... bad. Lordi and the kids were amazing though! :)

GCX

Yeah, you're right. Stage was cool (Germany's stage in 2011 was waaaay too much), it's just that the jokes were... bad. Lordi and the kids were amazing though! :)
We'll never get anything as gigantic and crazy as Russia's stage in 2009. That thing had 40% of the whole world's existing LED displays.

BikoBiko

Listening to the UK song again, how the hell did this not win?

tumblr_mxwyt0zyCG1ralxhxo1_500.gif
It was just too bland, it tried to mush everything that's slightly popular in modern music into one song and failed to make it a coherent song. Also, "we're all children of the universe" sounds pretty stupid.

man, mariya yaremchuk is just stunning

ivg5wvwdxyXPj.gif

"sorry, I'm just so... I'm so hot, sorry"

I also really like vilija matačiūnaitė from lithuania because she does a million different things and is really fun and I kinda liked the trainwreck that was her song

iD1XHS40Ota1W.gif

good year, mediocre hosts, solid results

Shahadan

Lordi are basically an eurovision mascot at this point. Isn't it like the 4th time they appear somewhere in it for no real reason?

Molly was just way too bland.
The UK need to stop trying to hype up every year's entry, because it doesn't matter how much they try to hype their entries as we can't vote for them anyway.

Instead, it just sets unrealistic expectations and inevitable disappointment.

There's some really shady shit with the jury voting btw, like Albania having 100% jury votes because of "insufficient televotes". Poland & France were def. robbed of points because of the juries.

The Finnish entry had the best chorus out of the whole bunch, too bad the verses were less interesting. I didn't watch se semi-finals, so se maybe I missed the more... memorable entries, but most of the stuff in the finals was pretty bland. Well, the Polish entry was not as easily forgettable as the rest, but the song was shit.

Poland not doing any better than they did is no loss. No amount of masking with tits can disguise what is a piece of irredeemable shite. But if Poland's tourism industry goes up even marginally after this month, hooray for them.

Feel a little bad for Molly, because apparently she didn't want to do this in the first place, until the producers allowed her to write her own song. It's not a bad song, but it doesn't stand out in any way, and by the time she went up to perform, most people would have long settled on their choices by then. Rather than the song lineup going out with a bang, it went out with a fizzle.

Oh, and that Mariya GIF <3 <3 <3

Ukraine needs to send in a guy next year (providing it's not annexed by then!), because I can't handle the Ukrainian hotness. I'm still trying to recover after Zlata, but they send in Mariya, and Zlata pops up during the voting process.

Thought the songs were pretty this year overall. I liked Hungary and Switzerland's most out of all them but there were no real bangers. At least Iceland and France had fun with it.

Zaptruder

Banned
That set design... man that set design is next level shit. And the way it punctuated Rise like a Phoenix... just absurdly stunning stuff.

Tash

That set design... man that set design is next level shit. And the way it punctuated Rise like a Phoenix... just absurdly stunning stuff.

yup, despite all the cheese of the song - that fire wings stuff still gives me goosebumps every time I see it.

That glamour, Conchita so totally owned it, fabulously

On the other hand, the show looked bloody amazing. That floor, damn.

Q: why was Denmark a bad host?

Because purely based on the stage design, this year was an amazing edition. Goddamn, the imagery used with the diamonds/cubes was spectacular. Just the way every song introduction happened: the country flag transformed into a diamond, which perfectly aligns with the strips of light of the stage and then the bright lights falling down to make the stage dark when the song starts.

It was all very well scripted and designed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom