• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Song Contest 2014 in Copenhagen |OT| The Queen of Europe rises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapstah

Something tells me Morocco won't be returning next year either. Hope all the countries there do come back though. Also, Vatican City is an EBU member right? Get a choir up there.

I think the only requirement is to be an officially recognised country in that weird EBU square that covers parts of Africa and Asia too!

MysticX

Financial reasons. Those countries announced their withdrawal/absence months before it was even known Conchita would participate for Austria, it has nothing to do with her.

The prejudice has nothing to do with conchita, it´s because I´m from Iceland and we didn´t win :)

LoveCake

...but, the UK barely got votes for years and years because it sent in bland songs. Nobody gives a shit about your political stance, you just sent bad songs. Nobody ever booed the UKs entries, nobody ever booed the UK when they did get points. Problem is, people also didn't care for the songs you sent in. I heard this same crap for years and years here in the Netherlands, perhaps now that we've finally started sending in non-terrible songs and results have notably improved, maybe people will refrain from such comments in the future.

We basically were not bothered or interested in Eurovision because of the perception we wouldn't get any votes, we had for a couple of years some top writers & producers involved but it didn't make any difference, the eastern block countries see it as something to take part in & promote themselves that is why they tend to put more effort in.

The UK didn't get booed no, but when it was just the public voting everyone voted for their countries friends & neighbours, does the UK have any in Europe ?

The big bands & singers won't take part in Eurovision, people still think that if the UK entry was Adele singing James Bond backed by the Beatles, Queen & top band of the day, we still wouldn't get any votes, as i mentioned before the voting has now been changed so the political element has been removed.

The people in the UK are very Eurosceptic.

Linius

Just another year where The Netherlands gets completely obliterated by songs that are actual good for festivals.

Our complete lack of understanding on what makes a good Songfestival song is beyond me, even if we were on the right track last year, completely gone again this year.

this post cracks me up

still love you old man <3

kottila

We basically were not bothered or interested in Eurovision because of the perception we wouldn't get any votes, we had for a couple of years some top writers & producers involved but it didn't make any difference, the eastern block countries see it as something to take part in & promote themselves that is why they tend to put more effort in.

The UK didn't get booed no, but when it was just the public voting everyone voted for their countries friends & neighbours, does the UK have any in Europe ?

The big bands & singers won't take part in Eurovision, people still think that if the UK entry was Adele singing James Bond backed by the Beatles, Queen & top band of the day, we still wouldn't get any votes, as i mentioned before the voting has now been changed so the political element has been removed.

None of the western countries have "real artists" participating and still the winners the last years have been austria, denmark, sweden, azerbaijan, germany and norway, not exactly a communist walk over is it?. your songs just aren't good enough, can't fault europe for not liking your x-factor leftovers or cliff richard wannabees.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I've never been so disappointed. Poor France :(
I should have put some money on conchita ages ago :(

As a half-Russian and generally being invested in the Slavic music scene due to my liking of it:
Something you have to understand about the Eastern Europeans is that they don't vote politically at all, except maybe Belarus. If that were the case, Serbia and Croatia would never give each other points, or Russia and Ukraine certainly wouldn't give each other points.

The thing is that Eastern European countries send out their stars. Months before the contest, these singers tour all across Eastern Europe and promote themselves. The music scene of, say, the Balkan countries is knit extremely tight together, and the popular artists are among the same across the borders of several countries.

While Western Europe doesn't send its stars, or popular bands. They send shitty casting show winners, or unknown artists, and don't take the preceding promotion very seriously, if they do anything at all.

And you can't just blame everything on "bloc voting" either, after all, in the past 5 years, only 1 Eastern European country won at all (Azerbaijan). And even if you account for bloc voting, and disregard the votes of ALL Eastern European countries, or Scandinavian countries for each other, then you would STILL come out with that winner. Always. No exception. They did the math for Ukraine in 2004, for Serbia in 2007, for Russia in 2008. It's always been a song that unanimously won.

kottila

Do they really? Or do we just accept the top 3 as best songs when the whole thing is over by removing the rest of the good songs from our mind?

Anyway, here is the Spotify link to the Eurovision 2014 album: http://open.spotify.com/album/2ChBXM2MXu0Kvmkq9gAbXm

Listen to it, you might find some song that fits your taste that didn't even pass the preliminaries.

My favorite was france and they hardly got any points. None of the songs are "good", but that's hardly the point of eurovision, it's a fun kitchy party with songs you'll never want to hear again

Funny that Skyfall from Conchita won the contest.

As a half-Russian and generally being invested in the Slavic music scene due to my liking of it:
Something you have to understand about the Eastern Europeans is that they don't vote politically at all, except maybe Belarus. If that were the case, Serbia and Croatia would never give each other points, or Russia and Ukraine certainly wouldn't give each other points.

The thing is that Eastern European countries send out their stars. Months before the contest, these singers tour all across Eastern Europe and promote themselves. The music scene of, say, the Balkan countries is knit extremely tight together, and the popular artists are among the same across the borders of several countries.

While Western Europe doesn't send its stars, or popular bands. They send shitty casting show winners, or unknown artists, and don't take the preceding promotion very seriously, if they do anything at all.

And you can't just blame everything on "bloc voting" either, after all, in the past 5 years, only 1 Eastern European country won at all (Azerbaijan). And even if you account for bloc voting, and disregard the votes of ALL Eastern European countries, or Scandinavian countries for each other, then you would STILL come out with that winner. Always. No exception. They did the math for Ukraine in 2004, for Serbia in 2007, for Russia in 2008. It's always been a song that unanimously won.

Well, there are similar tastes based on geographical area but nowadays most countries tries something out of their usual self. I mean we won the contest once and that was that year we tried something "western". The idea about sending not populars was the last one we tried.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Something you have to understand about the Eastern Europeans is not that they don't vote politically at all. If that were the case, Serbia and Croatia would never give each other points, or Russia and Ukraine certainly wouldn't give each other points.

But they did though...
Bloc voting certainly exists but I do agree that it takes more than just being the right country to win. People need to put in the effort and actually put forward a decent act

Ruruja

:/ Finally we only received five points from UK, I though we were going to get more. Looking back in history, I think that the UK has never voted more than 8 points to Spain (even the year when Massiel won), I don't know why you don't like us!

Probably due to most of your entries being in Spanish.

Linius

weve send well know aretists two years in a row now and they brought us to the final both years

if england enters its stars were done

oti

Banned
UK-Gaf, how does the nation react to those results year after year? I mean Germany didn't really expect that much and Greece doesn't want to win anyway. But I feel like this time around you guys took it more seriously and sent an ok song.

kmax

tumblr_mnpn5tesj41r13tm3o1_1280.jpg

LoveCake

None of the western countries have "real artists" participating and still the winners the last years have been austria, denmark, sweden, azerbaijan, germany and norway, not exactly a communist walk over is it?. your songs just aren't good enough, can't fault europe for not liking your x-factor leftovers or cliff richard wannabees.

I agree,

I don't like the Xfactor etc at all (never watched it) but we had shows where the public voted for the songs that were the UK entry & the votes essentially got hijacked by the bands/singers fans.

You need to remember that the whole Eurovision contest is about bringing the people & countries together, & people in the UK mostly do not feel part of Europe.

The change in the voting the last few years has changed the perception though that the block voting will have less of a impact.

UK-Gaf, how does the nation react to those results year after year? I mean Germany didn't really expect that much and Greece doesn't want to win anyway. But I feel like this time around you guys took it more seriously and sent an ok song.

I think the problem is that some people thought they sent an ok song when really they didn't

the dutch had the right approach to getting more points over time

But they did though...
Bloc voting certainly exists but I do agree that it takes more than just being the right country to win. People need to put in the effort and actually put forward a decent act

Yes, that's what I'm saying. If the motivations were solely political, Ukraine and Russia would never give each other points. But they did.
And of course bloc voting exists, but its impact on the results always is incredibly overblown. Especially if it's an Eastern European country that wins. And the most venom always is coming from the UK.

disap.ed

You don't think that the real reason could be that the songs were just too bland / bad / both these last years?

kottila

The UK jury had Poland on 25th place, while the voters had them in 1st place. That impeccable English music taste

Edit: got my numbers wrong

Westraid

Awww man now we have to wait another year for the next Eurovision Song Contest. :(
Congratulations to Austria for winning though. Great song and great statement! To all those who are different, rise like a phoenix!

Felt bad for France. I always feel bad if there's a country that gets the least points. The language sounds so beautiful too.
Biggest disappointment was the score for Norway. I thought their song was so beautiful and I really thought it'd get much more points than it did.

We need more prizes for this event. Stuff like Most Talented (Switzerland), Nicest Dress(Azerbaijan), Cutest Singer (Switzerland), Best Person in Giant Hamsterwheel (Ukraine) etc etc until we have so many awards that no country will go home without winning something. (And just in case, we can make an award for Country That Didn't Win Any Award).

Well, there are similar tastes based on geographical area but nowadays most countries tries something out of their usual self. I mean we won the contest once and that was that year we tried something "western". The idea about sending not populars was the last one we tried.

Where are you from? Cause I can't pinpoint your location based on that and haven't seen you post your nationality in here.

LoveCake

About ok really, as long as we don't finish last it is seen as a result.

It is difficult to say though as people still say that nobody will vote for us, we are making fun of France though.

I had not heard our UK song until tonight, i didn't think much to it.

On twitter people were mostly going for Iceland, Poland & Netherlands.

You don't think that the real reason could be that the songs were just too bland / bad / both these last years?

I thought our entry tonight was pretty bland tbh.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Greece was 4th in the televotes in Germany, 22th with the jury -> no points. For once the jury did something right.

Edit: Russia was 5th in the televotes, 19th from the jury.

Sorry for the mystery, I thought I pointed out at the first post but I apparently didn't. I'm from Turkey.

Ohh. I really enjoyed a lot of the Turkish entries ever since it started participating in the 80s, actually. But I wouldn't say Sertab Erener was particularly Western-styled. It still had a lot of folky influence. I was equally happy for Turkey winning in 2003, as I was sad for Belgium getting only 2nd. Both entries deserved to win!!

Linius

germant, pls send the notwist next year

i split votes with sigur ros for iceland then

or peter fox, hes fun for a guy who sings german.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
The 2000's were where the UK stopped giving a fuck, and Terry was getting more and more pissed off with it all. We just entered any old shit, we tried a bit harder before that.

It was good to see Denmark acknowledge the UK's finest Eurovision entry tonight in the museum bit:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yOqtDtUEpVM

We were robbed that year, even a supercomputer couldn't create a more Eurovision song than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom