• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Song Contest 2014 in Copenhagen |OT| The Queen of Europe rises

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wish Cyprus wasn't out, we need more of this in this contest:La La Love

Ohh. I really enjoyed a lot of the Turkish entries ever since it started participating in the 80s, actually. But I wouldn't say Sertab Erener was particularly Western-styled. It still had a lot of folky influence. I was equally happy for Turkey winning in 2003, as I was sad for Belgium getting only 2nd. Both entries deserved to win!!
Thanks, even singing in English was too much for the conservatives. But we didn't understand that there isn't a winning formula that we can apply to every year. And the music taste changes. Sertab had a good ear on the global music, most of her albums contains snippets from all over the world.

Anyway, I was expecting a song with a drop this year to win but apparently nobody got one. With many ears accustomed to that nowadays it would be an easy win.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Looking through the results, Poland really would have done quite a bit better without the juries. Austrian televotes had them at #3, the jury at #24.

Can you see the total results split by jury and televotes somewhere? I only found them per country.

Edit: #3 to #15 in France.

My favorite was france and they hardly got any points. None of the songs are "good", but that's hardly the point of eurovision, it's a fun kitchy party with songs you'll never want to hear again

I liked the French song, somehow I found that it was the only song that has a story to tell, or I only listen to French and zone out when they sing in English. :p
Je veux une moustache!

akaoni

Banned
Where are all the Poland gifs? I am disappoint.

io5dro6yVAqlO.gif

DhQGETE.gif

stickwankufk37.gif

Checking the twitter trending topics, apparently Eurovision is now over, but not the French loss. Poor France is still trending. But France is too deep in Eurovision now, I don't think they'll exit it and give away the famous douze points, or the chance to speak in French for half a minute to Europe and make them remember that they exist.
8HmFz.png

I wonder if they are thinking, like the British who want Adele to go to Eurovision, to send Daft Punk to grab it.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Okay, after looking through all the "per country" results, I'd say Poland lost by far the most points because of the jury votes. Looks like they could have easily been in the top 5 otherwise. Armenia also lost quite a few points. To a lesser extent Russia and Austria also suffered.

Why is everyone hating on the polish song :( At least it was not the exchangeable pop most other counties did...

Musically speaking, it was pretty bad, and the performance was blatantly "masking" that with boobs, boobs, boobs and some more boobs. The images on the background screens literally were shots of cleavage.

Why is everyone hating on the polish song :( At least it was not the exchangeable pop most other counties did...

I think Polish song was the Babushka of this year. There is only two possible explanation for its failure:
  1. Boobs doesn't attract the same attention with grannies.
  2. The song was really bad.
Since we all know that the first one is obviously not true you can find the answer pretty easily.

Blue-kun

As a Brazilian who lived a few years in Europe but ended up returning to my own country, I still love watching Eurovision every year. Not every song is great, but the effort put into making it a fun show is tremendous, and I can only wish stuff like that happened for other continents too.

Enjoyed 2014 quite a bit, and was happy to see Conchita win. Thought it was a good theme, reminiscent of Bond ones as some people have pointed out, and all in all he seemed to be pretty into it as well. Vocals totally delivered there. Wasn't too big a fan of Netherlands' entry myself, not quite my cup of tea in terms of music, but enjoyed Ukraine, Switzerland, Russia and Sweden quite a bit, as well. Oh, and Poland, though not necessarily because of the music... haha.

Only thing that left me a bit sad was all the booing that went on for the Russian girls. I certainly get the tough spot Russia's in right now, but to be fair doing it every time came off as a bit off a disrespect towards two young girls who most likely have little to do with everything going on at Ukraine.

Anyhow, looking forward to Austria 2015 already. If I've got one wish is for them to nail production like the danish people did -- it was easily my favourite stage since the 2009 ESC in Russia.

Sadist

I need more pics of the Russian girls pls

They were cute

Hope we'll get some comments from Ilse de Lange soon! Almelllloooo

I need more pics of the Russian girls pls

They were cute

Hope we'll get some comments from Ilse de Lange soon! Almelllloooo

I think Tolmachevy twins should have been gotten a bit more attention since they are winners of Junior Eurovision, implying both that Junior Eurovision exists and matters, and also there is some progression. Too bad they were taken as a Tatu replacement.

GCX

As always, this year's thread has grown a lot bigger than last year's (by well over 1500 posts so far). Eurovision GAF keeps on expanding.

Well, UK wasn't as bad as France.

Good lord, I just viewed their performance: that was absolutely terribad

30 year old American here. I loved France, after going into the performance thinking I was going to hate them. That's the kind of bizarre stuff I watch Eurovision for. The ballads and techno numbers tend to disappear out of my brain almost as soon as they're over. Good singing, but most of the songs are completely forgettable with even more forgettable lyrics. RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom