• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | November 19-25 | Only a sucker wastes a month for the Wii U

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
How is TTT2 on WiiU? I think I owe it to myself to play that game before the year is up.
Giantbomb did a long Wii U livestream today and I know they played TTT2 sometime during the second half of it.

Don't have the link on me ATM but there's a gigantic thread on it and the archive is up.

How in the world is standing in lines for system launches 8 times in one's life a world record.
I'm sure the average Japanese hits that annually.

Triforce loves his world records. He's got a bunch of Twin Galaxies high scores, and supposedly EMP is in Guinness for some sort of "most tournament wins" record.

Riposte

Giantbomb did a long Wii U livestream today and I know they played TTT2 sometime during the second half of it.

Don't have the link on me ATM but there's a gigantic thread on it and the archive is up.

I don't know if I'm patient enough to endure watching the GB dudes with a fighting game in the room. I'm just worried with all the news of frame-rate issues the WiiU is suffering. Another concern is the no direct internet.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't know if I'm patient enough to endure watching the GB dudes with a fighting game in the room. I'm just worried with all the news of frame-rate issues the WiiU is suffering. Another concern is the no direct internet.
Haha, I don't blame you. If you play fighting games, the Giantbomb dudes will get on your nerves. It's like they want to get fighting games, but just quite don't.

I think if your still in the market for a Wii U or even just the TTT2 version of Wii U.. it's best to let things rock for a month or so and let others beta test the console and software for you. A lot of negative press has come out today regarding the console, and just like every other console launch, IMO it's best to wait it out a bit before committing. Especially when it comes to online functionality and netcode (and let's be honest, this being Nintendo complicates that issue further).

Busaiku

Triforce loves his world records. He's got a bunch of Twin Galaxies high scores, and supposedly EMP is in Guinness for some sort of "most tournament wins" record.

Yeah, but I'm not understanding how he's breaking a record or anything in this case.
But then again, Guinness does have stupid stuff, like claiming Simpsons to be the world's longest running cartoon.

Yeah, but I'm not understanding how he's breaking a record or anything in this case.
But then again, Guinness does have stupid stuff, like claiming Simpsons to be the world's longest running cartoon.

His record are usually time based. Like play Tetris for 24 hours straight or some thing like that. The only skill that really involved is the skill of patience (which I will give him credit for).

Busaiku

Again, don't really care about his other records or anything, just not sure how this instance constitutes a record.
I mean, unless it's specifically "waiting outside Nintendo World Store in New York 8 times for the launch of a couple of systems/revisions", I doubt it's an actual record.

But as I've said, Guinness isn't really worth that much, I guess.

American Football you know the NFL? The thing that's one of the greatest sport in the world that has games every thanksgiving?

AKA

REAL SPORTS, not E-Sports.

I know what the NFL is. I didn't know they had games every Thanksgiving, though. I thought that was just a thing in movies/tv.

Haha, I don't blame you. If you play fighting games, the Giantbomb dudes will get on your nerves. It's like they want to get fighting games, but just quite don't.

I think if your still in the market for a Wii U or even just the TTT2 version of Wii U.. it's best to let things rock for a month or so and let others beta test the console and software for you. A lot of negative press has come out today regarding the console, and just like every other console launch, IMO it's best to wait it out a bit before committing. Especially when it comes to online functionality and netcode (and let's be honest, this being Nintendo complicates that issue further).

If you have a wii u only, it looks like a good buy. But I wouldn't expect to play it online. Even if all that works well the chance of a community seems next to zero given the sales so far on established consoles for what is now an "old game".

I'm American and I didn't know about football on thanksgiving until a few years ago. I spend thanksgiving with my family, and my family doesn't watch much football.

Edit: Fanatiq's marvel top 5: Zero, Spencer, Modok, Dormammu, Viper.

Zissou

I'm American and I didn't know about football on thanksgiving until a few years ago. I spend thanksgiving with my family, and my family doesn't watch much football.

Edit: Fanatiq's marvel top 5: Zero, Spencer, Modok, Dormammu, Viper.

I wonder what/who caused him to raise modok up so high. And no Magnus? Surprising.

Dahbomb

MODOK top 5?

I am surprised Fanatiq didn't place Nova in top 5 instead of MODOK or Dorm. He is always talking about how Nova is so better than Magnus.

No Sparda brothers in top 5 either although Fanatiq has always stated Vergil has holes in his game play.

Everyone underrates the characters they use.

Fuck that Magneto is the best character in the game.

FACT: EMD is the best beam in the game.
FACT: Magnetic Blast is the best projectile in the game.
FACT: Shockwave is the best screen-clearer in the game.
FACT: Gravity Squeeze is the best level 3 in the game.
FACT: Magneto is faster than your favorite character.
FACT: Magneto is harder to block than your favorite character.
FACT: Magneto has fewer bad matchups than your favorite character.
FACT: Magneto's voice sounds cooler than your favorite character.
FACT: Magneto has better costumes than your favorite character. (So OP it got patched)

Gah, I missed the first page

Sweet Potato Fries > Curly Fries.

Can't wait to play UMVC3, All-Stars and SF4AE with my bros-in-law during Thanksgiving.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire

many characters moved up the tier list in this game.

the top is still on lock.

Everyone underrates the characters they use.
There's underrating your character, and then there's delusion.

Fuck that Magneto is the best character in the game.

FACT: EMD is the best beam in the game.
FACT: Magnetic Blast is the best projectile in the game.
FACT: Shockwave is the best screen-clearer in the game.
FACT: Gravity Squeeze is the best level 3 in the game.
FACT: Magneto is faster than your favorite character.
FACT: Magneto is harder to block than your favorite character.
FACT: Magneto has fewer bad matchups than your favorite character.
FACT: Magneto's voice sounds cooler than your favorite character.
FACT: Magneto has better costumes than your favorite character. (So OP it got patched)
Disagree with the second to the last point, and I want to disagree with the last point, but the evidence is too strong, and I must concede. Other than that, entirely agree with this, and you should send this to Fanatiq, haha.

Are we looking at level 3s in a vacuum, or in the context of the character? Because there's no way Gravity Squeeze > For the Princess or Genmu Zero.

Dahbomb

Arthur has the best lvl3 in the game no doubt about that. Hawkeye has the best beam in the game thanks to his Spritzer (it pretty much beats everything). Best projectile is the Buster, no doubt about that. Viper and Wolverine are harder to block than Magneto. Taskmaster has the best match up set in the game, he actually beats Magneto.

Magneto is still top 5 though. He may not have tools that are the best in their class but he is pretty much top 5 in everything (projectile game, mobility, mix ups, throw game, hit conversion, normals etc).

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Arthur has the best lvl3 in the game no doubt about that. Hawkeye has the best beam in the game thanks to his Spritzer (it pretty much beats everything). Best projectile is the Buster, no doubt about that. Viper and Wolverine are harder to block than Magneto. Taskmaster has the best match up set in the game, he actually beats Magneto.

Magneto is still top 5 though. He may not have tools that are the best in their class but he is pretty much top 5 in everything (projectile game, mobility, mix ups, throw game, hit conversion, normals etc).

This is 150% fact arthur can straight up kill 2 characters if an assist is called and a button is pressed with his level 3 anywhere on the screen, no set up required.

LakeEarth

Are we looking at level 3s in a vacuum, or in the context of the character? Because there's no way Gravity Squeeze > For the Princess or Genmu Zero.
Exactly. There are better level 3s, technically, but we barely see them because certain options require less bar but are nearly as good (lightning loops), or the opportunity to use them is limited. If a Magneto team gets traction in a match, you're going to see a level 3.

Dahbomb

Can't Phoenix's level 3 do that too?
Too much work required to access it and does not hit more than one target. Plus it drains most of the TA time. Serious PW players don't even use it unless it's to close out a match.

Arthurs lvl 3 hits full screen + OTG, has a shit ton of invincibility, persists on screen even if you X factor it and hits multiple targets.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Top 5 Hypers imo,

1- Spiral Sword - the momentum killer #1, safe DHC in, damaging...etc
2- Bionic Arm - did I press a button?...Fuck!! and he wont stop hitting me after all that.
3- Ice Storm - very versatile, THCs, DHCs, Damage, chip...
4- Sista Sista - watch Big Two)
5- 7 Rings - safe on hit and block / 0 start up inv. great for safe DHC out or in)

5 LV3

1- For the Princess - been playin Arthur since vanilla and I've salvage so many shitty matches cuz of this
2- Grav Squeeze - because he's a rushdown monster and has great meter combos its one of the most used LV3s in the game.
3- Doom Time - Same with Magneto but only under Grav Squeeze cuz its limited range
4- "Dirt Nap!" - Its a free 400k damage on incoming charatcer
5- Ouroboros - If you know how o keep a combo with this, coupled with XF, its near broken.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Going to follow Tizoc's lead and post some videos/news from the Darkstalkers world. b3nner (http://www.youtube.com/b3nner) has been posting match videos from the EVO 2012 Vampire Savior tournament. He's still uploading matches from the earlier rounds so subscribe to that channel so you get his latest uploads. Here are some of the highlights from casual matches:

Haitani [Sasquatch] v. MightyMar [Anakaris] (4:02)
Sako [Bulleta] vs Rotanibor [Zabel] (9:00)
Dyne [Jedah] vs Sako [Bulleta] (5:38)

Here are some of the highlights from Winner's Bracket - 1st Round (3/5 Matches):

Haitani (Sasquatch) vs Tenkai (Jedah)
Dyne (Jedah) vs Rikir (Q-Bee)
B-IzM (Bulleta) vs sako (Bulleta)

Loser's Bracket matches:

Losers Bracket 2nd Round Match - Rikir (Q-Bee) vs Alice-chan (Morrigan)
Losers Bracket 2nd Round Match - ihira (Bishamon) vs shag (Sasquatch)
Losers Bracket 3rd Round Match - Rikir (Q-Bee) vs Tenkai (Jedah)

Winner's Bracket - 2nd Round:

Dyne (Jedah / Gallon) vs Haitani (Sasquatch)
Rotanibor (Zabel) vs Saru (Zabel)
Jason D (Morrigan) vs sako (Bulleta)

Now, let's fast forward to Top 8! (Winner's Bracket 3rd round up to Top 8 hasn't been uploaded yet) Here's the Lower Bracket matches at the start of Top 8:

Diar [Morrigan] vs Tenkai [Jedah]
Dyne [Jedah] vs B-IzM [Bulleta]

Winner's Semis:

MightyMar [Anakaris] vs Sako [Bulleta]
Rotanibor [Zabel] vs Haitani [Sasquatch]

Lower Bracket Top 8 - 2nd Round:

MightyMar [Anakaris] vs B-IzM [Bulleta]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjdC0YLeYGE&feature=plcp

Rotanibor [Zabel] vs Diar [Morrigan]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHGQATuxg3I&feature=plcp

Lower Bracket Top 8 - 3rd Round (Loser takes 4th):

B-IzM (Bulleta) vs Diar (Morrigan)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKpYfcQ0iHs&feature=plcp

Winner's Final:

Haitani [Sasquatch] vs Sako [Bulleta]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D5eALWgP4s&feature=plcp

Loser's Final:

B-IzM [Bulleta] vs Sako [Bulleta]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjuEVCUmzsE&feature=plcp

Grand Finals (4/7 Matches):

Haitani [Sasquatch] vs Sako [Bulleta]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T1wQx3G3I4&feature=plcp

Here is yesterday's Vampire Savior GGPO weekly, streamed (http://www.twitch.tv/ROTANIBOR) and uploaded (http://www.youtube.com/ROTANIBOR) by Rotanibor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pEN0ZyurCg&feature=plcp

He also ran the Vampire Hunter Bi-Millennial Tournament #2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Nfpn0AjXas&feature=plcp

Now onto announcements.

November 23-24 is the Darkstalkers Combination Cup 7 (DCC7). It is Japan's most prestigious Darkstalkers tourmament, featuring both Vampire Hunter and, the main event, Vampire Savior. Here's a hype video for this year's event.

jsZUyrVzadZ3m_e.jpg

On the 23rd there will be the All Out War (AOW) 5on5 event. I will post the entrant/teams list closer to the event. The event will start around 13:00 JST/1AM EST/10PM PST

pH4qn.jpg

On the 24th, DCC7 officially begins with Vampire Hunter to start the event, and then the Vampire Savior 2on2 to cap it off. Again, I'll post the entrant/teams list closer to the event.

Here's the tentative schedule for the event:

11PM EST Friday Nov23rd; Vampire Hunter
2AM EST Saturday Nov24th: Vampire Savior

8PM PST Friday Nov23rd: Vampire Hunter
11pm PST Friday Nov23rd: Vampire Savior

Here are the streams you should have bookmarked for the event:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/sakamotosan
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/bishavi
http://www.twitch.tv/ArcadeLegacy (English commentary)
http://www.twitch.tv/ROTANIBOR (Possible English commentary alternate stream)

LakeEarth

Top 5 Hypers imo,

1- Spiral Sword - the momentum killer #1, safe DHC in, damaging...etc
2- Bionic Arm - did I press a button?...Fuck!! and he wont stop hitting me after all that.
3- Ice Storm - very versatile, THCs, DHCs, Damage, chip...
4- Sista Sista - watch Big Two)
5- 7 Rings - safe on hit and block / 0 start up inv. great for safe DHC out or in)

5 LV3

1- For the Princess - been playin Arthur since vanilla and I've salvage so many shitty matches cuz of this
2- Grav Squeeze - because he's a rushdown monster and has great meter combos its one of the most used LV3s in the game.
3- Doom Time - Same with Magneto but only under Grav Squeeze cuz its limited range
4- "Dirt Nap!" - Its a free 400k damage on incoming charatcer
5- Ouroboros - If you know how o keep a combo with this, coupled with XF, its near broken.

Good list. You probably meant Spell of Vishanti, 7 rings is the projectile counter.

Top Bottom